ADVERTISEMENT

UVA Declines White House Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn’t walk across the street to meet a POS like Trump. For those so concerned about respect for the office - go back and check how much respect Trump historically shows .

Reactions: Dattier and ceilo77
Get this........ NYC is wanting to ban......... HOTDOGS........ citing global warming as its reason. SJW 's going full ******! jumpingsmile
Be proud Libs, this is who you are.

If you don’t follow politics then maybe you should sit this one out. No doubt the left is drowning in safe spaces and snowflakes. It’s exhausting. However, Trump might be the biggest snowflake of them all. He is usually out in front trolling and the first to cry when someone takes a shot at him.
Why? I do not need a political background to understand the treatment is asinine. So,I mean Ok----people don't like him(Trump). Fine. But god damn....Its been almost 3 years. Planet is still here. US is still a country. No WW3....So on and so on...

LET IT GO.

Eh. Some people would look at it as...

“I dont like this man’s role in my country, my government, and indeed the Presidency of the United States, and I have a complete lack of respect for him as a man and for his morals and ways, and so I will take an altogether American approach of saying ‘I don’t want him to be part of my celebration of this lifelong dream,” which would be unheard of in other nations that are not built upon freedom from political rule or obligation as ours is. I do this in full recognition of how rare it is, and I find it in fact rather telling that no other President in history has “endured” this... I cannot myself imagine *not* considering it quite an honor if any former President extended the kind invite, and am sorry that it cannot be that for me.”

That’s how I take it. I’d certainly have welcomed a White House visit for any President of my lifetime, no matter how much I may have disagreed with them or their politics. I reckon every single person turning down Trumps invites feels the same way, as evidenced by how rare it is that any team ever turned down an invite from any former Presidents.
Its soft. I mean, be honest. What would you rate Trump as A PRESIDENT? Not as a person. See that is where I think people get lost----They cannot separate the two: Trump the President, from Trump the person. I mean, you can be a total ass clown of a person, YET, still be good at your profession.

IMO, people just cannot get past Trump the person. And not only that, but the fvcking butt hurt they have over him winning. Its a grudge that won't ever die. Sadly for these folks, dudes probably getting re-elected.Laughing

Reactions: C*A*T*S and SNU0821
Its soft. I mean, be honest. What would you rate Trump as A PRESIDENT? Not as a person. See that is where I think people get lost----They cannot separate the two: Trump the President, from Trump the person. I mean, you can be a total ass clown of a person, YET, still be good at your profession.

IMO, people just cannot get past Trump the person. And not only that, but the fvcking butt hurt they have over him winning. Its a grudge that won't ever die. Sadly for these folks, dudes probably getting re-elected.Laughing

He’d rate him a 0/F because he’s says mean things. Screw how great the economy is! Forget people are getting paid more and have work! Who cares we’ve destroyed isis doesn’t matter the man says mean things and doesn’t want to kill babies

I agree to an extent. Being a decent person and a good representative of the country is kind of relevant as well though. Policy wise I think he has done ok. Appointment wise I think he has been a trainwreck. Personally and how he has made our country look I think he has also been pretty awful. Personally the most important things to me are the economy and education. He is 1 of 2 there. So I'm happy with some of it and disappointed with other things. That is always kind of the way it is though.

He’d rate him a 0/F because he’s says mean things. Screw how great the economy is! Forget people are getting paid more and have work! Who cares we’ve destroyed isis doesn’t matter the man says mean things and doesn’t want to kill babies
JFC the economy has been great for 10 yrs in a row. The POTUS doesn’t have nearly the impact you think it does.

Reactions: sgrooms and Sevro
It's nice to tie it to someone.
It’s just frustrating to hear dipshts that have no actual understanding of the economy make comments about it. The economy is cyclical, and the POTUS only has a limited impact.

1) Bush Sr. isn’t at fault for the beginning of the 90’s
2) Clinton got lucky on the recovery
3) Bush Jr. got the same momentum along with the impact of the internet boom, but then was hit with the credit crisis at the end of his second term
4) Obama was initially unlucky getting saddled with a recession, but then he got the massive recovery/growth
5) Trump is riding the same wave right now and will likely have to suffer through a down cycle if he gets a second term

If someone wants to praise Trump about the economy, they also need to praise Obama and vice versa. With the current political climate, it’s doubtful that those on either side would do this, but the reality is that both guys should be judged on other factors.

Last edited:
Safe to say you don’t have much expertise on this topic
I do know that the economy grew slower under Obama than any president in history. Never had a quarter above 3%, said that 3% was never going to happen again. I guess it is just a coincidence that we are shattering quarterly records, currently at 5.2% gdp and have millions of jobs created in the past two years.

But you are right. This is definitely not my expertise. I do question whether it is yours though.

It’s just frustrating to hear dipshts that have no actual understanding of the economy make comments about it. The economy is cyclical, and the POTUS only has a limited impact.

1) Bush Sr. isn’t at fault for the beginning of the 90’s
2) Clinton got lucky on the recovery
3) Bush Jr. got the same momentum along with the impact of the internet boom, but then was hit with the credit crisis at the end of his second term
4) Obama was initially unlucky getting saddled with a recession, but then he got the massive recovery/growth
5) Trump is riding the same wave right now and will likely have to suffer through a down cycle if he gets a second term

If someone wants to praise Trump about the economy, they also need to praise Obama and vice versa. With the current political climate, it’s doubtful that those on either side would do this, but the reality is that both guys should be judged on other factors.
I largely agree with this, but there are some contextual things that should be pointed out. Obama’s recovery through the recession was uncommonly slow. Could be because of his policies/regulations or it could have just been because of the severity of the recession. I look at his lack of substantial GDP growth, him calling 2% “the new norm” and saying manufacturing jobs were never coming back as important points and very telling. Now Trump got into office in a favorable environment based off of the foundation that Obama had laid, both get credit for where we are. However, I do think some of the things Trump has done are things no Democrat would have done that have been favorable for our country/economy like the tax cuts, deregulation and focusing on bringing jobs back to the US, like manufacturing jobs.

You’re likely correct that there will likely be some sort of recession if Trump is re-elected, but I dont think it’s a given. The lack of real inflation makes me think we’ll continue to see GDP growth but the rate at which we grow may not be as high.

I do know that the economy grew slower under Obama than any president in history. Never had a quarter above 3%, said that 3% was never going to happen again. I guess it is just a coincidence that we are shattering quarterly records, currently at 5.2% gdp and have millions of jobs created in the past two years.

But you are right. This is definitely not my expertise. I do question whether it is yours though.
3.2% for the initial number that will be revised in a month up or down. If you are going to quote a number, let’s at least get it right. That number also wasn’t driven by public consumption, which is 70% of the economy. State and local government consumption and inventory change isn’t exactly a sustainable model.

Obama also had huge job creation so we are riding the dame wave. You are out of your depth. The economy isn’t driven by the White House, and no expert would say it is. Just stop:

Reactions: Big_Blue79
I largely agree with this, but there are some contextual things that should be pointed out. Obama’s recovery through the recession was uncommonly slow. Could be because of his policies/regulations or it could have just been because of the severity of the recession. I look at his lack of substantial GDP growth, him calling 2% “the new norm” and saying manufacturing jobs were never coming back as important points and very telling. Now Trump got into office in a favorable environment based off of the foundation that Obama had laid, both get credit for where we are. However, I do think some of the things Trump has done are things no Democrat would have done that have been favorable for our country/economy like the tax cuts, deregulation and focusing on bringing jobs back to the US, like manufacturing jobs.

You’re likely correct that there will likely be some sort of recession if Trump is re-elected, but I dont think it’s a given. The lack of real inflation makes me think we’ll continue to see GDP growth but the rate at which we grow may not be as high.
Gdp growth will never be consistently high ever. We are a mature economy. Look at China. They had massive growth as they developed, but are now slowing down. Their growth will continue to dip lower over time until they are where we are. That is just the way it goes.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
3.2% for the initial number that will be revised in a month up or down. If you are going to quote a number, let’s at least get it right. That number also wasn’t driven by public consumption, which is 70% of the economy. State and local government consumption and inventory change isn’t exactly a sustainable model.

Obama also had huge job creation so we are riding the dame wave. You are out of your depth. The economy isn’t driven by the White House, and no expert would say it is. Just stop:
You're a lot of fun to talk with.

You're a lot of fun to talk with.
I literally wrote up an analysis on the 3.2% print when it came out Friday morning. If you want to have fun go download the 15 page pdf from the BEA website. All you need to do is first look at the table with the absolute dollar figures in the middle of the pdf and then look at the table the page after, which shows the % contribution break down. The number was flukey and not sustainable. I would bet that it gets revised lower next month.

I literally wrote up an analysis on the 3.2% print when it came out Friday morning. If you want to have fun go download the 15 page pdf from the BEA website. All you need to do is first look at the table with the absolute dollar figures in the middle of the pdf and then look at the table the page after, which shows the % contribution break down. The number was flukey and not sustainable. I would bet that it gets revised lower next month.
That is correct.

I am not trying to get too deep into a conversation that I don't deal with. I simply made the comment that the president has more to do with the economy than you will give credit to. Not that it is the single biggest driving factor. You can challenge the numbers, and you may be right. But you cannot dispute that Trump has a lot to do with the current economy. The only reason why anyone would is because they don't want to give orange man bad any credit.

Reactions: SNU0821

We aren’t at 5% GDP. Obama did falter some at growing the economy but he righted the ship. More importantly, he laid a solid foundation to make our financial system much stronger. Trump has come in and loosened some of those regulations and decreased taxes. Naturally the economy will take off. But I’m more worried about down the road. The deficit is growing again and Trump is on pace to rack up more debt with Obama despite no recession or major wars.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Gdp growth will never be consistently high ever. We are a mature economy. Look at China. They had massive growth as they developed, but are now slowing down. Their growth will continue to dip lower over time until they are where we are. That is just the way it goes.
I don’t disagree. But there’s a huge difference between saying 2% is the new norm because of bad policies and seeing 3% GDP growth based on policies the markets seem to like more. 3% GDP growth isn’t far fetched like Obama tried to convince the country it was. He was simply trying to convince people because he stifled growth with regulations he imposed.

I am not trying to get too deep into a conversation that I don't deal with. I simply made the comment that the president has more to do with the economy than you will give credit to. Not that it is the single biggest driving factor. You can challenge the numbers, and you may be right. But you cannot dispute that Trump has a lot to do with the current economy. The only reason why anyone would is because they don't want to give orange man bad any credit.
No, I don’t give Trump much credit, and I also don’t give Obama much credit or assign credit/blame to the other Presidents. They just don’t have that much of an impact unless under very rare circumstances (i.e. FDR).

So. He is still President. I have not agreed with several Presidents on a Myriad of subjects but I still respect the office.
The problem is, this President doesn't respect the office. Everything is all about him, the person, by his own choices. Ironically, respecting the office of the President can take the form of refusing to respect the man dishonoring it.

I don’t disagree. But there’s a huge difference between saying 2% is the new norm because of bad policies and seeing 3% GDP growth based on policies the markets seem to like more. 3% GDP growth isn’t far fetched like Obama tried to convince the country it was. He was simply trying to convince people because he stifled growth with regulations he imposed.
Nah, you might think the recovery under was Obama was slower compared to other recessions, but think about how much bigger the economy is now on an absolute level. 3% now is a much bigger absolute change than it was in the 30s or even the 80s. He was faced with the worst recession since the Great Depression with a much bigger baseline figure. Obviously, the recovery from a growth percentage perspective would be slower than a recovery during the industrial age.

I would argue that consistent 3% growth is very unlikely in the long term. Our economy is just too mature.

Reactions: Sevro
The problem is, this President doesn't respect the office. Everything is all about him, the person, by his own choices. Ironically, respecting the office of the President can take the form of refusing to respect the man dishonoring it.
How do you feel like he could respect the office more? Is it possible for him to gain your support by 2024?

Reactions: kl40504
What is your take on the Fed keeping interest rates at zero all during Obama’s terms, and printing money like crazy to keep the markets high? I tend to think that growth was fuzzy math. Soon as Trump is elected, boom, Fed starts raising rates.

I think the tax cuts and taking the shackles off industry by nixing the regulations Obama put on is a big reason we see the economy doing well and job growth.

Trump has done more than you give him credit for, but he is not the only reason.

Reactions: kl40504
So your analysis is the truth, or just YOUR opinion?

This shit is stupid. I've never seen such a soft, easily triggered society. Amazing, really. I cannot recall one President that has endured this type of behavior. I mean look, I don't follow politics. I have let that be known. But man, you'd think Trump was out here murdering babies or something. As far as I can tell, I mean, it seems he's done some solid shit. Even then----My goodness. Such fvcking snowflakes.
You don't follow politics and you can't recall another President who endured this type of behavior? Yeah, shocking, that.

President Obama endured far more of it because he actually endured. President Trump throws a temper tantrum over the slightest shade from D-list celebrities. That's not "enduring" anything.

And talk about triggered snowflakes, look at the pearl-clutching over UVa's decision. They say "No, thanks"; Trump supporters scream and wail about it... and somehow it's UVa who represents the triggered???

You don't follow politics and you can't recall another President who endured this type of behavior? Yeah, shocking, that.

President Obama endured far more of it because he actually endured. President Trump throws a temper tantrum over the slightest shade from D-list celebrities. That's not "enduring" anything.

And talk about triggered snowflakes, look at the pearl-clutching over UVa's decision. They say "No, thanks"; Trump supporters scream and wail about it... and somehow it's UVa who represents the triggered???

Back in the Nixon years people were just mean. Now they're snowflakes trying to beat around the bush.

It's like they think being mean spirited is actually being hurtful, they don't realize they're just being rude and demonstrating the pararenting,...or lack of.... they received.

Nah, you might think the recovery under was Obama was slower compared to other recessions, but think about how much bigger the economy is now on an absolute level. 3% now is a much bigger absolute change than it was in the 30s or even the 80s. He was faced with the worst recession since the Great Depression with a much bigger baseline figure. Obviously, the recovery from a growth percentage perspective would be slower than a recovery during the industrial age.

I would argue that consistent 3% growth is very unlikely in the long term. Our economy is just too mature.
Trump supporters think the economy has suddenly rocketed off into uncharted Territory.
annual-gdp-growth-of-the-united-states-since-1990.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT