ADVERTISEMENT

UVA Declines White House Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you name ONE politician that does NOT lie? They all lie. I tend to judge them by their deeds, are they doing things to help the citizens and the country.
There are politicians who lie and then there are record setting liars who lie more than all other politicians combined.

BTW, tell your wife I said "Hallo."

There is a cost to what’s happening right now.
fig%201%20trillion%20dollar%20deficits%20return%20in%202023.png

Nah, you might think the recovery under was Obama was slower compared to other recessions, but think about how much bigger the economy is now on an absolute level. 3% now is a much bigger absolute change than it was in the 30s or even the 80s. He was faced with the worst recession since the Great Depression with a much bigger baseline figure. Obviously, the recovery from a growth percentage perspective would be slower than a recovery during the industrial age.

I would argue that consistent 3% growth is very unlikely in the long term. Our economy is just too mature.
Obama’s recovery was stifled by increased (and I’d argue unnecessary) regulations. It’s a big reason why he didn’t see the growth he could have during his time as president.

I’m also not so sure on your GDP comment. Growth rates in the low 3% range isn’t outlandish, even on a long term perspective. Growth in the upper 3% range and beyond I don’t believe is sustainable. However, I do believe the tax cuts, regulation, trade talks/deals, and focus on bringing jobs back to the US have had a positive impact on the markets. Those are all directly related to Trump. He deserves some credit. Just like if any trade deal with China/other countries falls through and tanks the market, he will bare the brunt of that as well.

Trump supporters think the economy has suddenly rocketed off into uncharted Territory.
annual-gdp-growth-of-the-united-states-since-1990.jpg
Who thinks the economy skyrocketed? I just believe Trump has some really pro growth policies that have led to growth Obama never would have seen. Liberals are now trying to downplay it. Doesn’t work that way.

Reactions: C*A*T*S
How do you feel like he could respect the office more? Is it possible for him to gain your support by 2024?
He could conduct himself with dignity and basic human decency. All 3 previous GOP Presidents I am old enough to remember did, and I didn't like any of them politically.

Or rather, no, he can't conduct himself like that. There is enough evidence to conclude that at the age of 72, having lived a life of nothing but extreme privilege, he will never change. And thus, no, based on who he has shown himself to be, I can't imagine any scenario where he could earn my approval by 2094, let alone 2024. That's not because I would refuse to change; it's because he abso-freakin-lutely will refuse to change.

Who thinks the economy skyrocketed? I just believe Trump has some really pro growth policies that have led to growth Obama never would have seen. Liberals are now trying to downplay it. Doesn’t work that way.
Who? Pick out any political thread and it will be full of Maga mouth breathers who thinks the man pulled the economy from the brink of death into unseen territory. That’s not debatable. I can give Trump his due. He’s loosened refs, inspired consumer confidence, and reduced taxes. Obama served up a nice meal. Trump is crushing it with what he inherited. But the deficit growth is troubling considering we are dealing with a hot economy. Tax revenues are flat and spending is up.

GDP, GDP, GDP... Eyeroll

Life expectancy is down. Income disparity has increased. Addiction and suicide are up. What good does an allegedly improved economy do if quality of life for all but the wealthy continues to drop?

Reactions: Sevro
Who? Pick out any political thread and it will be full of Maga mouth breathers who thinks the man pulled the economy from the brink of death into unseen territory. That’s not debatable. I can give Trump his due. He’s loosened refs, inspired consumer confidence, and reduced taxes. Obama served up a nice meal. Trump is crushing it with what he inherited. But the deficit growth is troubling considering we are dealing with a hot economy. Tax revenues are flat and spending is up.
There are also crazy libs that refuse to give Trump ANY credit for the growth we’re seeing. It goes both ways and to think it doesn’t is just being naive.

I agree Trump inherited a good situation, but as you mentioned, Trump kicked growth into another gear. The deficit is an issue, for sure, but there are much bigger problems than Trumps Tax cuts that are impacting the deficit.

GDP, GDP, GDP... Eyeroll

Life expectancy is down. Income disparity has increased. Addiction and suicide are up. What good does an allegedly improved economy do if quality of life for all but the wealthy continues to drop?
Yawn....

GDP, GDP, GDP... Eyeroll

That is a whole other discussion. In this discussion, who is in control of one's quality of life? Who is in control of their addictions? What is the story behind the increase in suicides? Addictions and suicides hit all walks of life. Where do wealthy people play into the quality of life?

I think the quality of life is in your control because it is all about how you handle aspects that are in your control and rise above the things out of your control. Make the most of what you have and work hard to get the things you need. If we are arguing that the president doesn't control the economy, how are we going to argue that he controls your quality of life

Reactions: SNU0821
I see more of what you are talking about on the main board than I do here. It is certainly full of maga mouth breathers. Doesn't mean that they are all wrong, just that there are a lot of followers over there and not a lot of reasonable people who think for themselves.

The spending is bad for the future, no doubt. It is the biggest disappointment (for me) under Trump. I was hoping that he would redirect funding already in the budget instead of increasing the budget. He touts the money we're saving here and there, but never says where that money we're saving goes. I don't know for sure, but I think early in his presidency the deficit had reversed briefly. But has increased steadily since.

So your analysis is the truth, or just YOUR opinion?
I regurgitated what the numbers show so not sure what there is to dispute other than when i said that I would “bet” that the number will be revised lower.

What is your take on the Fed keeping interest rates at zero all during Obama’s terms, and printing money like crazy to keep the markets high? I tend to think that growth was fuzzy math. Soon as Trump is elected, boom, Fed starts raising rates.

I think the tax cuts and taking the shackles off industry by nixing the regulations Obama put on is a big reason we see the economy doing well and job growth.

Trump has done more than you give him credit for, but he is not the only reason.
With the level of sht the credit crisis caused the economy, the Fed had no choice but to drive rates to zero. They have two primary things to balance out. Economic growth and inflation. With how much the economy recovered, it was prudent for them to start raising the Fed funds rate. Despite that, rates are still at historic lows, and the Fed said that they would not be raising rates again for awhile, so I don’t know why anyone would have complaints. Trump is grasping at straws to be honest in doing so, and the only complaints I’ve seen are from him and his supporters. The Fed should always be above politics and a truly independent function, which throughout history they have proven to be.

Alright financial people. I am locked in at 3.25% on a 30 year loan. We pay $100 extra a month towards principal plus an extra payment at the end of the year. I was told that by doing this, I will have the house paid off in 19 years instead of 30. Does that sound right?

Alright financial people. I am locked in at 3.25% on a 30 year loan. We pay $100 extra a month towards principal plus an extra payment at the end of the year. I was told that by doing this, I will have the house paid off in 19 years instead of 30. Does that sound right?
Roughly, yes, that’s the idea. Not sure on the amount and the reduced timing without getting out my calculator/excel, but the idea is on the right path.

I see more of what you are talking about on the main board than I do here. It is certainly full of maga mouth breathers. Doesn't mean that they are all wrong, just that there are a lot of followers over there and not a lot of reasonable people who think for themselves.

The spending is bad for the future, no doubt. It is the biggest disappointment (for me) under Trump. I was hoping that he would redirect funding already in the budget instead of increasing the budget. He touts the money we're saving here and there, but never says where that money we're saving goes. I don't know for sure, but I think early in his presidency the deficit had reversed briefly. But has increased steadily since.
I am very socially liberal, but lean more conservative from a fiscal perspective. I honestly have no idea where Trump lies on the spectrum. The spending is way out of control, and no free market advocate is in favor of tariffs. It’s quite strange IMO.

I am very socially liberal, but lean more conservative from a fiscal perspective. I honestly have no idea where Trump lies on the spectrum. The spending is way out of control, and no free market advocate is in favor of tariffs. It’s quite strange IMO.
What do you do for a living? Remind me, did you go to school out east or did you go to Purdue? I know you’ve told me before but can’t remember. I appreciate your takes on the financial stuff. I have worked in finance all my career. I like discussing this stuff.

There are also crazy libs that refuse to give Trump ANY credit for the growth we’re seeing. It goes both ways and to think it doesn’t is just being naive.

I agree Trump inherited a good situation, but as you mentioned, Trump kicked growth into another gear. The deficit is an issue, for sure, but there are much bigger problems than Trumps Tax cuts that are impacting the deficit.
I never said there aren’t anti-trumpers who refuse to give him any credit. This is one of my fundamental problems with Trump. Instead of tamping down the rhetoric, he throws gasoline onto an already huge fire. He’s done nothing to unite the sides. He’s widened the gap like no one else. And before you scream But Barry! I agree, Obama could have done more to bring the two sides together. He even states it was a regret of his just before leaving office.

Trump has always been a big spender. To think he was going to be conservative was to not know who he was.

The theory is one extra payment per year towards principal shaves 7 years from your loan. The $100 doesn’t tell the whole story because we don’t know what your monthly payment is. Regardless, you have an historically excellent rate.

Trump has always been a NYC Democrat. He’s playing the part of a Republican. He has no real political conviction. He’s just a populist who’s fooled a lot of people into thinking he gives a shit about them. Trump has gotten cons to adopt liberal fiscal policy and vice versa.

What do you do for a living? Remind me, did you go to school out east or did you go to Purdue? I know you’ve told me before but can’t remember. I appreciate your takes on the financial stuff. I have worked in finance all my career. I like discussing this stuff.
I grew up in WL, but went to college in CT and MBA in NYC. Wall Street (buy and sell side) for a long time, and now I do Corporate Strategy and M&A for a really large corporation.

I never said there aren’t anti-trumpers who refuse to give him any credit. This is one of my fundamental problems with Trump. Instead of tamping down the rhetoric, he throws gasoline onto an already huge fire. He’s done nothing to unite the sides. He’s widened the gap like no one else. And before you scream But Barry! I agree, Obama could have done more to bring the two sides together. He even states it was a regret of his just before leaving office.
I understand why he does what he does. With how the mainstream liberal media treats him, why on earth should he tamp down his rhetoric when it’s beyond clear nobody else will follow suit? All one has to do is look at the Russian collusion hoax to understand.

I grew up in WL, but went to college in CT and MBA in NYC. Wall Street (buy and sell side) for a long time, and now I do Corporate Strategy and M&A for a really large corporation.
Awesome! I used to work at the BoT in Chicago and then left to get into Corporate Treasury for a Fortune 10 company. Been working in debt/equity capital markets for a long time now.

I understand why he does what he does. With how the mainstream liberal media treats him, why on earth should he tamp down his rhetoric when it’s beyond clear nobody else will follow suit? All one has to do is look at the Russian collusion hoax to understand.
Sigh

I agree to an extent. Being a decent person and a good representative of the country is kind of relevant as well though. Policy wise I think he has done ok. Appointment wise I think he has been a trainwreck. Personally and how he has made our country look I think he has also been pretty awful. Personally the most important things to me are the economy and education. He is 1 of 2 there. So I'm happy with some of it and disappointed with other things. That is always kind of the way it is though.
ABout as fair of a post concernig Trump as I have seen.very well stated Cory.

BTW, wife and I are going up to see the Reds in a few weeks. You get up there much?

You don't follow politics and you can't recall another President who endured this type of behavior? Yeah, shocking, that.

President Obama endured far more of it because he actually endured. President Trump throws a temper tantrum over the slightest shade from D-list celebrities. That's not "enduring" anything.

And talk about triggered snowflakes, look at the pearl-clutching over UVa's decision. They say "No, thanks"; Trump supporters scream and wail about it... and somehow it's UVa who represents the triggered???
Why would I need to FOLLOW politics, to see the ridicule Trump has endured for 3+ years? Some of it well deserved. Some of it not so much. Its people's inability to move on. And yes, Obama faced a ton of unwarranted shit. BUT....it subsided as his tenure went on. Plus, it wasn't as bad, because well, he was more "presidential" than Trump.

Its not just UVA's decision Its the continued disrespect of the invite. NBA teams...MLB teams...So on and so on. Its just more fire on the fuel, so to speak. UVA isn't the issue. They are just another example.

I would 100% go. Bernie, Hilary, W, Barry, Trump—-for the team picture alone. Then again....I don’t live and die on politics.
You can't even capitalize his name or use the correct name he goes by, but want to sell us on your position as some non-partisan higher moral ground.

Why would I need to FOLLOW politics, to see the ridicule Trump has endured for 3+ years? Some of it well deserved. Some of it not so much. Its people's inability to move on. And yes, Obama faced a ton of unwarranted shit. BUT....it subsided as his tenure went on. Plus, it wasn't as bad, because well, he was more "presidential" than Trump.

Its not just UVA's decision Its the continued disrespect of the invite. NBA teams...MLB teams...So on and so on. Its just more fire on the fuel, so to speak. UVA isn't the issue. They are just another example.
Why do you only chastise those who don’t like Trump, but not Trump? He takes shots at everyone. He’s the freaking POTUS. He’s supposed to be above all this shit.

You can't even capitalize his name or use the correct name he goes by, but want to sell us on your position as some non-partisan higher moral ground.
May be just me, but I find it weird you’re trying to tell someone else what they would or wouldn’t do. My guess is you don’t know what he would or wouldn’t do.

You don't follow politics, so you have no legitimate basis for making these comparisons.

President Obama faced obstruction until the day he left office and it got worse as his administration went on. President Trump's unprecedentedly disgraceful personal conduct has earned him every bit of resistance and lack of respect he has received.

Rejecting the invitation of a man who is disrespecting his office is actually a show of respect for the office.

Reactions: sgrooms
You don't follow politics, so you have no legitimate basis for making these comparisons.

President Obama faced obstruction until the day he left office and it got worse as his administration went on. President Trump's unprecedentedly disgraceful personal conduct has earned him every bit of resistance and lack of respect he has received.

Rejecting the invitation of a man who is disrespecting his office is actually a show of respect for the office.
Trump also says mean things.

I mean, I have a god damn TV....internet....Social media access. What else do I need?

That is a whole other discussion. In this discussion, who is in control of one's quality of life? Who is in control of their addictions? What is the story behind the increase in suicides? Addictions and suicides hit all walks of life. Where do wealthy people play into the quality of life?

I think the quality of life is in your control because it is all about how you handle aspects that are in your control and rise above the things out of your control. Make the most of what you have and work hard to get the things you need. If we are arguing that the president doesn't control the economy, how are we going to argue that he controls your quality of life
This is again a different discussion when talking about an individual than when talking about wide-reaching trends. Individually, chant "personal responsibility, personal responsibility" all day long. For trends, we have to investigate what external conditions have influenced them, because it isn't coincidence.

I've been over all of this before.

May be just me, but I find it weird you’re trying to tell someone else what they would or wouldn’t do. My guess is you don’t know what he would or wouldn’t do.
Don't try to do real talk with me when every other post is going to be a dismissive "Yawn." Exercise some self-control, consistency, and respect if you expect to have a serious discussion with me.

Why do you only chastise those who don’t like Trump, but not Trump? He takes shots at everyone. He’s the freaking POTUS. He’s supposed to be above all this shit.
Who else should I chastise? Did I miss something, and we now have more than ONE POTUS? Your statement IS the big issue people have with Trump. Its not his policies. Its his demeanor. We as a society are accustomed to the POTUS being a well spoken, politically correct spoken, individual---Who follows protocol when dealing with others outside of his party, i.e. BEING NICE. A POTUS who doesn't respond to his critics; Or when doing so, doing so in a "correct manner",, i.e. AGAIN, BEING NICE. Folks cannot get past this. To me, IDGAF. He can address the nation in a fvcking nightgown for all I care. As long as its in the best interest of our nation---it makes no matter to me.

As for those who legit oppose him as a President---I can get on board with that. There are a ton of flaws that can be pointed out. But that isn't the majority of the issue. Its his demeanor than drives people like you, up a goddamn wall.

I agree to an extent. Being a decent person and a good representative of the country is kind of relevant as well though. Policy wise I think he has done ok. Appointment wise I think he has been a trainwreck. Personally and how he has made our country look I think he has also been pretty awful. Personally the most important things to me are the economy and education. He is 1 of 2 there. So I'm happy with some of it and disappointed with other things. That is always kind of the way it is though.
ABout as fair of a post concernig Trump as I have seen.very well stated Cory.

BTW, wife and I are going up to see the Reds in a few weeks. You get up there much?

Nah. I would love to but with the kids and everything it is tough. I still watch at least some of all their games though. Rough start but they are turning it around a bit. Hate the setback for Wood though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT