ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee vs Kentucky

della

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2001
Team
Tennessee
The battle of SCAR victims. The battle of pissed off teams. The battle of good (UT) and evil (UK). The most important battle of the modern age.

GBO!

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
These are two heavy weight teams with all the talent and coaching in the world and clearly two of the BEST teams in the country.
I kinda like UT better here but something’s telling me home court will be the difference.
UT 77
UK 78
Whoever loses can still hold their head up high bc you just lost to literally one of the best squads in the entire country.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
These are two heavy weight teams with all the talent and coaching in the world and clearly two of the BEST teams in the country.
I kinda like UT better here but something’s telling me home court will be the difference.
UT 77
UK 78
Whoever loses can still hold their head up high bc you just lost to literally one of the best squads in the entire country.
Everything you wrote was well thought out and discerning. However, your prediction was well off the mark. The Vols are going to kick their ass.

Everything you wrote was well thought out and discerning. However, your prediction was well off the mark. The Vols are going to kick their ass.
....you said that twice last year.... (or multiple times for both games). How'd that work out for ya?

I guess I wouldn't want to answer that either if the shoe were on the other foot.
Well JC, UT had a better team than UK last year as demonstrated in our postseason performance. We pretty much have the same team only more experienced and plus Knecht. We have Zeigler back who missed the Dance due to Acl Injury. I know you won't agree, but Knecht is an All America type player.

UK has a very good offense, but your defense is lacking and that is putting it nicely. The Vols roll here.

Got gators to pummel, skewer and barbeque before even being slightly concerned with the vols.
Yeah, that is true, so apologize there. However, I wanted to beat the rush on this thread.

Well JC, UT had a better team than UK last year as demonstrated in our postseason performance. We pretty much have the same team only more experienced and plus Knecht. We have Zeigler back who missed the Dance due to Acl Injury. I know you won't agree, but Knecht is an All America type player.

UK has a very good offense, but your defense is lacking and that is putting it nicely. The Vols roll here.
Head to head matters first, Della. Resorting to tournament performance is a cop out. I would agree that Knecht is an AA type player, but ut looked very one dimensional last night. When he is the only one 'connecting' ut is very beatable. After what I saw last night, I feel pretty good about Saturday.

Head to head matters first, Della. Resorting to tournament performance is a cop out. I would agree that Knecht is an AA type player, but ut looked very one dimensional last night. When he is the only one 'connecting' ut is very beatable. After what I saw last night, I feel pretty good about Saturday.
That is kinda a reversal from your position on Barnes/Cal isn't it? Everyone is beatable when the team plays like crap. Ref: UK/SCAR. It happens.

Let's call a timeout on this thread until after the UK/UF game. I kinda forgot y'all still had that in front of you.

Not sure where you saw any reference to Barnes/Cal, but ok. In 2 games against each other last year, ONE team won both games. I'm happy to continue this stuff tomorrow.

Reactions: della
Not sure where you saw any reference to Barnes/Cal, but ok. In 2 games against each other last year, ONE team won both games. I'm happy to continue this stuff tomorrow.
Good luck tonight.

Reactions: JC for 3
I know (everybody knows) UK is your Super Bowl Lou Lou but we have a a game against Florida tonight and that’s all we’re worried about. I know you’re excited but calm down. Your ass beating will be here soon enough!!! We got gator to hunt!
good hair day GIF by Swamp People

UT gives up the corner 3 ball because they sell out up top to try to stymie offensive flow and take away drives, but if you leave those corners open, UK will eat very well.

Also, UT is Knecht on offense and that’s it. He's going to eat, but I don't think it will be enough.

I'm heading to the closet to clean off the broom, might need to use it very soon.

Reactions: JC for 3
UT gives up the corner 3 ball because they sell out up top to try to stymie offensive flow and take away drives, but if you leave those corners open, UK will eat very well.

Also, UT is Knecht on offense and that’s it. He's going to eat, but I don't think it will be enough.

I'm heading to the closet to clean off the broom, might need to use it very soon.
UT has been a top 20 offense SCAR notwithstanding. UT had an off night same as UK. You can't take one game and call it the rule. If you did, you would pick UT by 10 based on the way SCAR man handled y'all.

• Haha
Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
UT has been a top 20 offense SCAR notwithstanding. UT had an off night same as UK. You can't take one game and call it the rule. If you did, you would pick UT by 10 based on the way SCAR man handled y'all.
Off night……buffoonery!!!!!!

The UK v uSC game was close for most of it, then UK let go of the rope. Young team on the road, they got rattled.

But the corner three thing is real. UT guards the top of the arch aggressively, when you do that, you're vulnerable at the foul line and especially the corners. That doesn't mean it's easy by any means, but UK can hit threes from all 5 positions.

I think UT loses at Rupp, but probably returns the favor in K-ville.

Last edited:
The UK v UT game was close for most of it, then UK let go of the rope. Young team on the road, they got rattled.

But the corner three thing is real. UT guards the top of the arch aggressively, when you do that, you're vulnerable at the foul line and especially the corners. That doesn't mean it's easy by any means, but UK can hit threes from all 5 positions.

I think UT loses at Rupp, but probably returns the favor in K-ville.
Maybe I'm just a pessimist but I could see our whole season being derailed by the dark clouds of Knoxville right now. We could legit end up with 11 or 12 losses

Maybe I'm just a pessimist but I could see our whole season being derailed by the dark clouds of Knoxville right now. We could legit end up with 11 or 12 losses
Ya think? This NCAA thing will have zero bearing on wins and losses.

Ya think? This NCAA thing will have zero bearing on wins and losses.
I'd like to hope so Della but this NCAA situation could get in the Psyche of the players minds. They could literally lose their confidence as the season progresses

I'd like to hope so Della but this NCAA situation could get in the Psyche of the players minds. They could literally lose their confidence as the season progresses
...considering the pace in which the NCAA does anything, this is quite a reach.

Here is the deal. NIL started a couple of years ago with no real rules, but it started because the US courts decided that players should be paid. When that was initiated School collectives set up contracts for players to play at the schools. These contracts were for 4 years (Freshman- Sr.) The NCAA has been scrambling around trying to get a handle on it. The problem for the NCAA is that they cannot hand out retroactive punishments to schools when there was no rule or law against said actions at the time. Furthermore, Collective/Player agreements are outside of NCAA authority. NCAA is subservient to US law and can therefore not override it.

Expect UT to go on the attack and not on the defense on this issue.

Your devoted Vol friend,

della

Reactions: ABVolsFan92
Nope, no way. Don't do that. It was one bad game. UK had 2 bad games last week, looked awful, but jeez, Purdue got drilled at Nebraska and are losing to Northwestern at home, Alabama has 12 points at the 7 minute mark against UGA, uNC looked like ass at GT and lost, duke lost at home to Pitt (then moved up 5 spots), Arizona lost to Oregon State etc… everyone is losing.

Nope, no way. Don't do that. It was one bad game. UK had 2 bad games last week, looked awful, but jeez, Purdue got drilled at Nebraska and are losing to Northwestern at home, Alabama has 12 points at the 7 minute mark against UGA, uNC looked like ass at GT and lost, duke lost at home to Pitt (then moved up 5 spots), Arizona lost to Oregon State etc… everyone is losing.
we honestly now have to beat Arkansas and Texas AM on the road. both are tough games and I think if we had won last night we could afford to split there but now we gotta win both assuming we don't beat yall

Honestly, I don't think the players really care about that stuff. By the time the NCAA decides to deal with it, Vescovi will have grand kids.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
we honestly now have to beat Arkansas and Texas AM on the road. both are tough games and I think if we had won last night we could afford to split there but now we gotta win both assuming we don't beat yall
Eh, there's no guarantee. UK still has to play @ Auburn, @ UGA, @ MSU, Alabama and LSU. Bama has tough games coming up, Auburn has tough games coming up, South carolina will probably crap their pants against Vanderbilt, because that's what South carolina does.

• Haha
Eh, there's no guarantee. UK still has to play @ Auburn, @ UGA, @ MSU, Alabama and LSU. Bama has tough games coming up, Auburn has tough games coming up, South carolina will probably crap their pants against Vanderbilt, because that's what South carolina does.
Noted.

Got gators to pummel, skewer and barbeque before even being slightly concerned with the vols.
Yeah, that sucked. Not sure who to be more mad at... Dillingham for missing the free throw to ice it or Cal for not fouling when they were down 3 and inbounded the ball with 13 seconds left.

Just more defensive struggles to boot.

Yeah, that sucked. Not sure who to be more mad at... Dillingham for missing the free throw to ice it or Cal for not fouling when they were down 3 and inbounded the ball with 13 seconds left.

Gotta look at Shep to man. Dude missed (got lazy) on two key plays and was late getting to his man that hit a three each time right there at the end of the game and in OT. That hurt but you’re right, the free throw and no timeout call really sucked.

Gotta look at Shep to man. Dude missed (got lazy) on two key plays and was late getting to his man that hit a three each time right there at the end of the game and in OT. That hurt but you’re right, the free throw and no timeout call really sucked.
I don't know if it was being lazy...he played all 45 minutes. What I didn't like was the Savhir Wheeler impersonation of driving to the baseline, getting trapped and turning the ball over... like 3 times. He played a great game. I'm not sure if there's that much of a difference in the offense with him or Wagner at the point, but without Wagner, they lost both times.

It was too early to foul. When up by three, you generally only employ that strategy if there is under 7 seconds left when the team starts going up the court.

When UF rebounded Rob's miss, there was just under 14 seconds remaining. That is an eternity in basketball. Too much can happen in that amount of time if you foul. It was the right decision to play it out at that point. Most coaches would.

Second, I had no problem with Rob taking the free throws. None whatsoever. He missed one, it happens. Reed has been far from automatic at the line in SEC play. I was fine with either option.

If you want to get on Cal, get on him about his defense (which you do). For some reason he no longer has the ability to teach the guys how to defend a pick and roll. UK has been getting shredded in the pick and roll the past few years. Also, nobody can stay in front of their man. Sucks to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT