ADVERTISEMENT

UNC vs. UK

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
I fully expect this to be a classic battle.

UNC leads head to head. UK has made up ground but never mind all that. Here and now.

Both are high-scoring teams and it will be an up-and-down exciting game.

This very well could be the best OOC rival game in CBB. #1 vs #2 all time, fill in the blanks on which is which. Current rankings mean very little.

All I know is ever since Cal has been here the games vs UNC have been epic. The Davis block, the Monk show, the Maye shot, the Liggins corner 3. Lots of close and fun ballgames. Hoping for another one this weekend.
We (and KU) were lucky for UNC injuries in the '12 tournament. They gave us all we wanted that year in Rupp.

We (and KU) were lucky for UNC injuries in the '12 tournament. They gave us all we wanted that year in Rupp.

I can't remember which player it was, but there was an interview with John Henson and one of the UK players off of that championship team. The UK player told Henson that as soon as UK saw UNC get eliminated that they knew they were winning it all.

That would've been a great rematch if their PG didn't go out with an injury and they played again.

Reactions: cdbearde
I can't remember which player it was, but there was an interview with John Henson and one of the UK players off of that championship team. The UK player told Henson that as soon as UK saw UNC get eliminated that they knew they were winning it all.

That would've been a great rematch if their PG didn't go out with an injury and they played again.
Kendall Marshall

@FaithPlusOne @coryfly

Yeah, with KM UNC had a chance to beat UK. That doesn't mean they would have won as that Kentucky team was excellent. But they were one of the only teams that year that could have beaten them. I love this game. It's my favorite OOC game for UNC by a lot.
It's been absolutely brutal at times...feast or famine for a while since the 90's. There's so much history. Williams just dominating, then Tubby starting to even it up, then Gillispie and Doughtry, there's a lot of history in the past couple of decades. Calipari coming in, then the tournaments.

I'm touching as we all can go into more details. By far the best OOC game.

*sorry I'm busy, but I hope the point remains.

Reactions: cdbearde
Since I've been alive.

Untitled.png

Fudge, I have to admit to paying attention to this game more than other in-season games. Couldn't give a f#ck less with SEC schools. None of them matter like UNC or UL and now that UL is gone here we are.

I once melted down after a lose to UNC (tubby years) and I tore down all the UNC shit my friend sent me.; Then later I was so pissed when Maye hit that shot. Angry. I don't get angry but I melted down.

No one gets a reaction like UNC does.

I used to not like UNC fans.

Now they're probably my 2nd favorite fanbases. not teams, but fanbases.

UNC and UK used to be hated rivals. Homeboards would ban folks just for rooting for the other.

Rivalry as old as Rivals message boards.

I would tag other UNC fans, but can't remember their names.

Yeah, with KM UNC had a chance to beat UK. That doesn't mean they would have won as that Kentucky team was excellent. But they were one of the only teams that year that could have beaten them. I love this game. It's my favorite OOC game for UNC by a lot.
I'd much rather play UNC every year than KU. UK has nothing to prove against KU or most teams, but UNC owns UK head to head. Every day, every month, year...UK needs this corrected one game at a time

I look at this game as two teams featuring offense. Should be interesting.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

Also we lost Dexter Strickland so the starting backcourt was out. That 2012 UK team was dominant and the game at Rupp was a classic. IMO we should play each other every year, home and home like it use to be,

Last edited:
This is what college basketball is all about. So many great games between these two programs. Playing your conference rivals fun but it doesn’t compare when it’s two blue bloods! Not even close! UK vs. UNc is the best college basketball has to offer. So many memories from this rivalry that stands out and I’ve been lucky enough to be at two or three of these games. I went to Chapel Hill when we had Brandon Knight. UK lost that day (blind ass ref looking at the UNc player standing outta bounds and didn’t call it) but it was fun and then I was at Rupp when “The block” by Anthony Davis took place!!!! Other notable moments….

1. Prince has the puppies set off the bus! 5 3’s in a row.
2. Luke Maye with the “heartbreaker” shot.
3. John Wall with the the showtime start (Dunk)
4. Monk with 47 points and game dagger

I’m sure there are several more but these come to mind right off the bat.

Also UNc fans, what year was Reggie Bullock there?

Reactions: Random UK Fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT