ADVERTISEMENT

The “Mostly Things KU But Mostly Due To Hefty UK Support” Thread

F4HAH0AboAA55oS

UK/UT a very underrated rivalry. IMO, doesn;t get the attention it deserves.

UK/Cincy should play every year
I live in Northern KY. The contingent of UC fans around here are small, but when they think they're 'good', they get awfully mouthy. Working in downtown Cincy, among more of them, I can't imagine how dreadful it would be if they were to pull one off against UK. It hasn't happened since 1939, so I'm good keeping that streak intact.

On top of that, the 'stall ball' game (UK 24, UC 11)..... can never be forgiven. Screw 'em.

I live in Northern KY. The contingent of UC fans around here are small, but when they think they're 'good', they get awfully mouthy. Working in downtown Cincy, among more of them, I can't imagine how dreadful it would be if they were to pull one off against UK. It hasn't happened since 1939, so I'm good keeping that streak intact.

On top of that, the 'stall ball' game (UK 24, UC 11)..... can never be forgiven. Screw 'em.
It was awesome when NKU smoked them last year.

Hey, Cletus, you don't have to create 5 stupid new threads and bump 5 more every time you get schooled. I'm already aware that I reside deep in your head. 🤣

Last edited:
When a Kentucky fan devotes 99% of his posts to your team, they must be doing something right. 😆

I don’t blame you, though, sport. What else are you going to talk about? Cal’s waist size?

The Athletic released their preseason top 25. How can Kentucky be ranked 15 spots below a team that lost a preseason exhibition game? Has to be a mistake.

Kansas​

There are question marks about KU’s shooting, but the offense is going to be elite because of its passing ability. Opposing coaches are going to tear their hair out trying to figure out what to do in pick-and-roll coverage. Dajuan Harris Jr. is one of the best at making the pocket pass to the short roll, and both KJ Adams and Hunter Dickinson make quick decisions in that action.

Kevin McCullar Jr. is also a capable passer and a really good cutter. The group already looked to have great chemistry in August. And it’s August! Bill Self is going to have a blast figuring out ways to get Adams and Dickinson in advantage situations. He also has new ways to use Harris because he has other players capable of bringing the ball up, which will also save Harris’s legs. Self has also upgraded his bench. Kansas has seven guys who would start just about anywhere with Arterio Morris, Elmarko Jackson and Nick Timberlake battling for the fifth starter spot and the other two as the first off the bench. (New Aussie addition Johnny Furphy is also super interesting and gives Self some more lineup flexibility.)

We haven’t even mentioned the defense, which has two of the best perimeter defenders in the country (McCullar and Harris), and Self upgraded the team speed and positional length. And if you are wary of Dickinson being a part of an elite defense, go take a gander at Michigan’s numbers his freshman season, as well as the fact that Michigan had the second-best defense in the Big Ten during conference play last season. He’s surrounded by elite talent again, and it’s hard to see him failing in a system that’s designed to utilize his gifts.

Kentucky​

A pivotal season forthcoming for John Calipari. The Wildcats have a ton of talent, including a potential top-five pick in Justin Edwards, potential first-rounders in D.J. Wagner and Aaron Bradshaw, plus a bit of experience in seniors Antonio Reeves and Tre Mitchell.

Reeves and Mitchell, particularly, seem key to something that we saw from Kentucky during its GLOBL JAM win in Kentucky during the offseason. Calipari seems poised to play a more modern style of offense, with better floor spacing and a willingness to fire from 3. Reeves will be one of the best shooters in college hoops this season, a consistent sniper who hit 40 percent of his 200-plus attempts last season. For his part, Mitchell let it fly nearly five times per game from distance in the trip north of the border and has real potential as a physical, rebounding, floor-spacing four.

But ultimately, a lot of this will come down to how the freshmen perform. We have full faith in Edwards to be the best player on the team. But the rest of the roster comes with questions. Can Wagner consistently run the show and get the Wildcats efficient looks? He’s an aggressive shot-hunter and brings real tenacity on defense, but his decision-making could be questionable in high school (as could his shooting efficiency outside of 15 feet). Bradshaw has a ton of tools, but his production has never matched his inherent talent level, and he’s coming off of an offseason foot injury. Onyenso is also coming off an offseason foot injury, leaving the Wildcats so thin up front that they had to go get Croatian big Zvonimir Ivisic late in the summer.

Reactions: KisteK
ADVERTISEMENT