ADVERTISEMENT

UK/KU

Random UK Fan

Dec 10, 2018
Not too far away now. Any predictions?

I don’t know much about KU this season. They’re highly ranked. UK has 0/3 seven footers available (2 injured, 1 foreign, therefore the usual NCAA stall tactics for eligibility). UK is freshman heavy (but talented). Cal has lost 5 out of the last 6 Champions classics. If KU lost this game I’d be a concerned Kansas fan.

Reactions: KisteK
So you expect any solid team to roll past a roster with 4 first rounders, a couple lottery picks and a pair of good upperclassmen? 😆

I don't really know what to expect. KU looked like a well-oiled machine the other night, but obviously the competition was weak. Still....they could've won that game by 75 if they hadn't played walk-ons for almost 10 minutes. The difference in energy and offensive sets was night/day compared to the exhibitions.

Kentucky has an advantage in athleticism and KU has the experience advantage (although a lot of these guys haven't played together much).

When's the last time you had four first rounders paired with a couple good upperclassmen?
It’s not the number of NBA players UK has had in our losses that stands out. It’s the lack of any the other team has had that beats us.

When's the last time you had four first rounders paired with a couple good upperclassmen?
NBA drafts on potential, not what you accomplish in college.

But, 2018 had 6 NBA guys (Wenyen, PJ, Shai Alexander, Diallo, Knox, Vanderbilt), most were first rounders
2019 had 8 NBA guys on it, mostly first rounders (Vanderbilt, Wenyen, Vanderbilt, Keldon, Quickly, Herro and Richards)
2020 had Juzang, Maxey Whitney, Richards, Quickly and EJ Montgomery.
2021 (9-16) had Boston, Clarke, Jackson, Toppin. Boston and Clarke were projected lottery picks.
2022 had Oscar (NPOY, Tyty, Toppin, Damion Collins
2023 had Oscar, Toppin, Wallace, Livingston and Collins.

So to answer your question, just last year. Toppin, Wallace, Collins and Livingston were all projected first rounders, we'll just throw in a reigning NPOY on top of that.

Some guys on the list (Boston, Whitney, Collins, Toppin and Livingston) were projected, but didn't pan out. Projections are just that, projections and not all of the guys on this current roster will pan out, or they might take longer to develop, like Richards and Willie Cauley Stein.

Veteran players win in college ball, it's not even debatable. Freshmen phenoms are future talents that simply have potential. The truly special players can ball out in college, but the game is more physical now.

There's no way KU should lose this game. UK's freshmen are still too green right now and we have no bigs. KU by 10 at least. Any less than that and you should be disappointed if you're a KU fan.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Dunno---But w'o the bigs, and maybe even with, UK gonna have a prblem with Dikinson.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
I'll say Kansas by 8. Mitchell on Dickinson is already a bad match-up but he's all they got and if Mitchell gets in foul trouble it's gonna be ugly. Kansas would be smart to pound the ball inside early and often where Dickinson should be able to score at will. If he's out there jackin' 3s, he's an idiot.

Dunno---But w'o the bigs, and maybe even with, UK gonna have a prblem with Dikinson.
Meh, I'm not that impressed with him. He struggles in pnr and there's a reason he’s still in college.
He has some skill, but not Drew Timme type skill where he can carve you up in the paint.
But, I do wish Bradshaw was good to go for this game. I would have some confidence if he was.
Truth is, Bill Self makes more impactful adjustments than Cal does and that’s why KU will win the game.

Last edited:
UK had a size advantage and home court advantage last year, Bill Self used smaller guys to take Oscar right out of the game and kept him off the glass. That’s what good coaches do.

A few years ago, UK took control of the game, until Self went with a box and 1 defense, which flipped the script and KU won.

John Calipari is the king of waiting until the game is over to figure out what he should have done "I need to watch the tape and see, I don't know".

NBA drafts on potential, not what you accomplish in college.

But, 2018 had 6 NBA guys (Wenyen, PJ, Shai Alexander, Diallo, Knox, Vanderbilt), most were first rounders
2019 had 8 NBA guys on it, mostly first rounders (Vanderbilt, Wenyen, Vanderbilt, Keldon, Quickly, Herro and Richards)
2020 had Juzang, Maxey Whitney, Richards, Quickly and EJ Montgomery.
2021 (9-16) had Boston, Clarke, Jackson, Toppin. Boston and Clarke were projected lottery picks.
2022 had Oscar (NPOY, Tyty, Toppin, Damion Collins
2023 had Oscar, Toppin, Wallace, Livingston and Collins.

So to answer your question, just last year. Toppin, Wallace, Collins and Livingston were all projected first rounders, we'll just throw in a reigning NPOY on top of that.

Some guys on the list (Boston, Whitney, Collins, Toppin and Livingston) were projected, but didn't pan out. Projections are just that, projections and not all of the guys on this current roster will pan out, or they might take longer to develop, like Richards and Willie Cauley Stein.

Veteran players win in college ball, it's not even debatable. Freshmen phenoms are future talents that simply have potential. The truly special players can ball out in college, but the game is more physical now.

Clearly it is debatable, because (with exception of this year) Duke and Kentucky's young teams are always ranked in the top 10, and usually top 5. Pollsters just aren't giving Calipari the benefit of the doubt this time. What's not debatable is that Cal's best teams have been young.

The best roster has a mix. It might be ideal to have a little more experience than this, but most teams would love to trade for a bunch of top 10 freshmen, including the projected #1 pick, plus a couple productive vets.

The point was that it's goofy to say it'd be a huge concern to lose to Kentucky. If I wrote that, you'd type a paragraph about me being a hater. Btw, it's not like KU has a ton of continuity. They brought back three starters but no one else from last year's rotation. They're working some things out too.

Clearly it is debatable, because (with exception of this year) Duke and Kentucky's young teams are always ranked in the top 10, and usually top 5. Pollsters just aren't giving Calipari the benefit of the doubt this time. What's not debatable is that Cal's best teams have been young.

The best roster has a mix. It might be ideal to have a little more experience than this, but most teams would love to trade for a bunch of top 10 freshmen, including the projected #1 pick, plus a couple productive vets.

The point was that it's goofy to say it'd be a huge concern to lose to Kentucky. If I wrote that, you'd type a paragraph about me being a hater. Btw, it's not like KU has a ton of continuity. They brought back three starters but no one else from last year's rotation. They're working some things out too.
Cal's best teams have certainly been young, but the ones that did the most damage, had transcendent players and key veterans.

The one title he has, is due to a generational takent, a transcendent player (MKG) and an NBA lockout that made Terrence Jones, Doron Lamb and Darius Miller return.

But, the game is more spread out and physical now and when you look at UK since the 2015 season, it's been a struggle. Cal's results have been noticably down and the teams that have been most successful, are veteran guys that are physical and well developed to win in college.

Now, that doesn't mean this UK team and this Duke team couldn't win big this year, but some of the credit needs to go to the veteran guys both teams have. UK would suck right now without Mitchell, Thiero and Reeves. Duke has Roach (Sr), Blakes (Jr), Proctor (So), Mitchell (So) and Filipowski (So).

These aren't close to true one-and-done teams.

But… .and this is just my opinion… Calipari will never win another title. I think the game has passed him by like it has done to so many coaches that once had it rolling. I really hope he makes me eat my words.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I just don’t see where the matchup advantages are for Kentucky. I would have said Edwards before the season but he’s come out kind of soft and passive.

Reeves is probably the best scorer on the court but he’s still a traffic cone on defense.

Pollsters just aren't giving Calipari the benefit of the doubt this time.
The fanbase really isn’t either. We’re kicking the tires every season now. You can’t keep dropping big games and establish any reliability. It’s like Stoops in football. Until he finds a way to quit dropping the TN game every year, he can never really be handed pre approved credit anymore.

Last edited:
I want the all time wins lead back , I don't want Cal to tie self in titles. However, I have been consistent on this, college ball is peak entertainment when all the blue bloods are at the top of the sport. I hope UK is a 1-3 seed but lose fabulously next tuesday

• Love
Reactions: KisteK
I want the all time wins lead back , I don't want Cal to tie self in titles. However, I have been consistent on this, college ball is peak entertainment when all the blue bloods are at the top of the sport. I hope UK is a 1-3 seed but lose fabulously next tuesday
double-backflip-90year-old.gif

Meh, I'm not that impressed with him. He struggles in pnr and there's a reason he’s still in college.
He has some skill, but not Drew Timme type skill where he can carve you up in the paint.
But, I do wish Bradshaw was good to go for this game. I would have some confidence if he was.
Truth is, Bill Self makes more impactful adjustments than Cal does and that’s why KU will win the game.
1. He's a terrific passer. Reads doubles very well. Very hard to double him.
2. Shot 42% from three last year---24-57. Thats a very good sample size for a 7'1" dude
3. Hes not Timme in the lane, no----but not many are. Hes still pretty damn good down there.
4. Not many dudes like him are good in the PNR---Ya'll had a dude who was awful--Oscar. But you took that 20/10 every night still----Right? Plus, HD a much bigger threat from the perimeter.

Just becasue his game does not translate to the NBA, doesn't mean hes not a very good college player---Because, well he is. Look at the guy you referenced---Timme. Where is he at? Look at Edey....You dont have to be an NBA lock, to be a very good college player.

I sure hope Cal and company dont have this thought. If so, HD likely to drop a 40 piece.

Depends on whether or not Dickinson decides to play hard. Sometimes he looks unstoppable and other times he’s missing layups and easy shots along with getting torched on defense

Reactions: kyjeff1
The fanbase really isn’t either. We’re kicking the tires every season now. You can’t keep dropping big games and establish any reliability. It’s like Stoops in football. Until he finds a way to quit dropping the TN game every year, he can never really be handed pre approved credit anymore.
There's still a large contingent that think Cal hung the moon and can do no wrong. Makes me sick.

Self's lead over Cal in titles is safe. UK's win total is not.

You're not going to win titles if you're biggest goal is to get kids drafted.

2. Shot 42% from three last year---24-57. Thats a very good sample size for a 7'1" dude
3. Hes not Timme in the lane, no----but not many are. Hes still pretty damn good down there.
4. Not many dudes like him are good in the PNR---Ya'll had a dude who was awful--Oscar. But you took that 20/10 every night still----Right? Plus, HD a much bigger threat from the perimeter.

Just becasue his game does not translate to the NBA, doesn't mean hes not a very good college player---Because, well he is. Look at the guy you referenced---Timme. Where is he at? Look at Edey....You dont have to be an NBA lock, to be a very good college player.

I sure hope Cal and company dont have this thought. If so, HD likely to drop a 40 piece.
Even UK, with Cal as the coach, made HD look average last year.

But maybe he was jet lagged from the long flight to London. Eh, I dunno.

I’m not a detractor of his, I just don’t afford him benefit of the doubt anymore. He has a line of demarcation in his tenure at UK.
There will be more jumpers after he screws it all up with this team.

He’s so bad right now, he might find a way to 10 losses again. He'll be fine with it as long as dudes get drafted.

• Sad
There will be more jumpers after he screws it all up with this team.

He’s so bad right now, he might find a way to 10 losses again. He'll be fine with it as long as dudes get drafted.
I can deal with a few losses, but when you lose the champions classic 5/6 times, that’s a problem.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Only real OGs remember the great meltdown of 2015. Dozens of UL fans suddenly invaded this board

He claims you need a team full of old vets to win, yet also claims that old vets aren't that good because they're still in college. Go figure.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
He claims you need a team full of old vets to win, yet also claims that old vets aren't that good because they're still in college. Go figure.
Okay, point to the teams that have been in the FF and won titles the last 7 years that haven't been veteran teams.

The game is so much more physical now and trying to get high school kids up to speed in such a short time frame, just isn’t practical these days. You literally dont have an argument on this and what's funny is, Bill Self won a title because he had veterans. You suck Bills cack in here daily, I figured you would agree with me. Seems you just like to be argumentative. Weird.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT