ADVERTISEMENT

UK/KU

We were in it till the end. I can live with that. Sick of losing the Champions Classic every year though, regardless of the opponent. The stage is too big for us for some reason. Credit to KU. They did what the #1 team is supposed to do. We can only expect so much with 8 guys available. One 7 footer could’ve made Dickenson’s night a bit more taxing.

I think UK should move up in the polls after that showing.
fall-down-trying-to-hold-on-the-pole.gif

Not enough minutes for all 3. You want mitchell stretching the floor at the 5.

I would go

Mitchell 28 mpg
Theiro 30 mpg

Bradshaw 15 mpg
Z/ugonna 7 mpg
Mitchell would go back to his natural position and he'd be competing for minutes. Idealy.

Bradshaw and Z will compete at the 4 and play some 5. We only have one true center.

KU is now 4 games behind UK in all time wins after last night. Here is how I see the rest of the season playing out

Kansas

Maui Chaminade W
Maui Marquette W
Maui Tennessee L
East Illinois W
Uconn @ Allen W
UMKC W
Mizzou W
@ Indiana W
Yale W
Wichita state in KC W

B 12
TCU W
@UCF W
OU W
@Okie state W
@ WVU W
Cincy W
@ISU L
Okie state W
Houston W
@kstate W
Baylor W
@ou W
Texas W
BYU W
@Baylor L
Kstate W
@houston L

B12 tourney finals L

28 - 5 including b12 tourney

1 seed

Kentucky

Stone Hill W
St Joe W
Marshall W
Miami L
UNC Will W
@Penn W
UNC W
@ Louisville W
Illinois st W
@FL L
Mizzou W
@A&M L
MSST W
Georgia W
@ SC W
@ Arkansas L
Florida W
Tennessee L
Gonzaga W
Ole Miss W
@Auburn L
@ LSU W
Bama W
@MSST W
Arkansas W
Vandy W
@ Tennessee L

Sec tourney finals L

24 - 9 3 seed

KU - UK tied going into the NCAA tourney

• Wow
Reactions: I am stupid
KU is now 4 games behind UK in all time wins after last night. Here is how I see the rest of the season playing out

Kansas

Maui Chaminade W
Maui Marquette W
Maui Tennessee L
East Illinois W
Uconn @ Allen W
UMKC W
Mizzou W
@ Indiana W
Yale W
Wichita state in KC W

B 12
TCU W
@UCF W
OU W
@Okie state W
@ WVU W
Cincy W
@ISU L
Okie state W
Houston W
@kstate W
Baylor W
@ou W
Texas W
BYU W
@Baylor L
Kstate W
@houston L

B12 tourney finals L

1 seed

Kentucky

Stone Hill W
St Joe W
Marshall W
Miami L
UNC Will W
@Penn W
UNC W
@ Louisville W
Illinois st W
@FL L
Mizzou W
@A&M L
MSST W
Georgia W
@ SC W
@ Arkansas L
Florida W
Tennessee L
Gonzaga W
Ole Miss W
@Auburn L
@ LSU W
Bama W
@MSST W
Arkansas W
Vandy W
@ Tennessee L

Sec tourney finals L

24 - 9 3 seed

I like to think that if we could hang with the #1 team, some of those losses aren’t really likely.

Reactions: treyforuk

Kansas

Maui Chaminade W
Maui Marquette W
Maui Tennessee L
East Illinois W
Uconn @ Allen W
UMKC W
Mizzou W
@ Indiana W
Yale W
Wichita state in KC W

B 12
TCU W
@UCF W
OU W
@Okie state W
@ WVU W
Cincy W
@ISU L
Okie state W
Houston W
@kstate W
Baylor W
@ou W
Texas W
BYU W
@Baylor L
Kstate W
@houston L

B12 tourney finals L

1 seed

Kentucky

Stone Hill W
St Joe W
Marshall W
Miami L
UNC Will W
@Penn W
UNC W
@ Louisville W
Illinois st W
@FL L
Mizzou W
@A&M L
MSST W
Georgia W
@ SC W
@ Arkansas L
Florida W
Tennessee L
Gonzaga W
Ole Miss W
@Auburn L
@ LSU W
Bama W
@MSST W
Arkansas W
Vandy W
@ Tennessee L

Sec tourney finals L

24 - 9 3 seed

Works for me.

If it takes a 20/20 game from 1 player and a triple double from another all the while Edwards and Wagner combine for 5 points for UK to lose, I feel pretty good about this team.
True, BUT............

Lets not forget the barrage of three's in the first half----5 straight. 9-18. THAT was huge. Water found its level, and it was what doomed UK.

With that being said----When(if?) UK gets Z, Bradshaw or Oneyso, they are gonna be a problem.

Reactions: Random UK Fan

Kansas

Maui Chaminade W
Maui Marquette W
Maui Tennessee L
East Illinois W
Uconn @ Allen W
UMKC W
Mizzou W
@ Indiana W
Yale W
Wichita state in KC W

B 12
TCU W
@UCF W
OU W
@Okie state W
@ WVU W
Cincy W
@ISU L
Okie state W
Houston W
@kstate W
Baylor W
@ou W
Texas W
BYU W
@Baylor L
Kstate W
@houston L

B12 tourney finals L

1 seed

Kentucky

Stone Hill W
St Joe W
Marshall W
Miami L
UNC Will W
@Penn W
UNC W
@ Louisville W
Illinois st W
@FL L
Mizzou W
@A&M L
MSST W
Georgia W
@ SC W
@ Arkansas L
Florida W
Tennessee L
Gonzaga W
Ole Miss W
@Auburn L
@ LSU W
Bama W
@MSST W
Arkansas W
Vandy W
@ Tennessee L

Sec tourney finals L

24 - 9 3 seed

I see the logic in your post.

However, UK swept UT last year, so you think that UT is better and UK is worse than last year? To the point that UT sweeps UK? I don't.

Miami over UK?

True, BUT............

Lets not forget the barrage of three's in the first half----5 straight. 9-18. THAT was huge. Water found its level, and it was what doomed UK.

With that being said----When(if?) UK gets Z, Bradshaw or Oneyso, they are gonna be a problem.
Correct, water found it's level on the 3 pount shooting, but there are some things that should be noted:

-there are going to be a lot of games where UK hits more threes thsn that and at a higher percentage

-Edwards had 1 point. Now, I don't know if this is going to be a case where he's just a dud that is soft, but my hope is he eventually becomes closer to Brandon Miller than BJ Boston.

-The freshmen were really effected by the bright lights and they peed down their legs at times, especially in crunch time. That will get fixed

-No big guys. Bradshaw is a projected lottery pick, so I expect him to be good enough to hold his own this year and I'm sure Ivisic will have something to bring to the table too.

-Reeves missed a ton of wide open looks, now, he did that in the Kansas state game in the tournament, but he's a much hetter shooter than what he showed last night.

-There aren't too many teams that can push KU like that right now and UK, without 3 bigs and with two lottery picks stinking up the place, should have won the game. Too many mistakes at the end and KU did what well coached teams do, they took advantage.

Cal had some really dumb substitution patterns last night, which is what he does (poured water on the inferno a few times), but this team has all the pieces any coach could hope for. They should be electric by March.

My thoughts on the UK freshman.

I just am yet to see anything out of Justin Edwards in any of the games I’ve seen that screams a first round pick let alone top 5 hype he was getting. I don’t see elite quickness and athleticism, don’t see elite jump shot, or elite passing. I hope he starts to flash some of that. I can see him getting a lot of dirty work points but I don’t see a lot of skill with him yet.

Wagner looks like a guy who is trying to run an offense when he’s wired to score. He gets himself caught up in the middle too much and gets indecisive. It’s comparable to our guard Elmarko Jackson but he’s the opposite he’s trying to learn to play off-ball when he’s more comfortable running the offense.

Dillingham was impressive. That said he looks like a young guy who is going to go absolutely off one night for 25 points on 6/9 shooting from 3 and then the next game go 1/8 from 3 and score 5 points. I can see him being a consistency issue all season for UK. I think at the end of the year he’ll be one of my favorites to wish he’d return to college basketball for another year but probably goes pro off of the big games he has.

Sheppard seems like a guy who could be a 4-year mainstay in UK rotation and possibly starting lineup. Can see SEC fans voting him as having the most punchable face in SEC and he should take that as a compliment. They’re gonna hate him. I already hate him after one night making timely 3s.

My thoughts on the UK freshman.

I just am yet to see anything out of Justin Edwards in any of the games I’ve seen that screams a first round pick let alone top 5 hype he was getting. I don’t see elite quickness and athleticism, don’t see elite jump shot, or elite passing. I hope he starts to flash some of that. I can see him getting a lot of dirty work points but I don’t see a lot of skill with him yet.

Wagner looks like a guy who is trying to run an offense when he’s wired to score. He gets himself caught up in the middle too much and gets indecisive. It’s comparable to our guard Elmarko Jackson but he’s the opposite he’s trying to learn to play off-ball when he’s more comfortable running the offense.

Dillingham was impressive. That said he looks like a young guy who is going to go absolutely off one night for 25 points on 6/9 shooting from 3 and then the next game go 1/8 from 3 and score 5 points. I can see him being a consistency issue all season for UK. I think at the end of the year he’ll be one of my favorites to wish he’d return to college basketball for another year but probably goes pro off of the big games he has.

Sheppard seems like a guy who could be a 4-year mainstay in UK rotation and possibly starting lineup. Can see SEC fans voting him as having the most punchable face in SEC and he should take that as a compliment. They’re gonna hate him. I already hate him after one night making timely 3s.
Man, you are dead on with all of those.

I am really concerned with Edwards. He appears to have zero motor, looks very soft and I have yet to see any skill. I have no idea why so many think he's a top 3 pick and if he didn’t have 5 stars next to his name, he would be buried deep on Cal's bench.

Wagner is a combo guard, but I like what Cal is doing with him. I think he knows Dillingham is going to run hot and cold, so in order for UK to he great, Wagner has to be the primary pg and I think he's right. If Cal can get DJ to be a solid pg with a 32% 3pt shooting percentage, he will have done more for him than anyone else has.

The thing that aggravates me is, these dudes can stink it up all season and still go lottery, because it's all about potential.

I wish we could keep Sheppard for 4 years, but at UK, there has only been 3 or 4 dudes that have stayed beyond 2 years and all were big guys. Even Lance Ware didn’t stay 4. It’s the culture, but also, Reed is a true basketball player. He can score 2 points off free throws and still score a +20. He lost his composure late in the game last night, but that won't happen again with him.

As far as KU, Harris can suck shit through a tube as far as I'm concerned. Dude never shoots the ball… .until he plays UK. He burned us last year IIRC and last night, he was freaking Steph Curry with some serious defensive plays. Damn that guy.

Man, you are dead on with all of those.

I am really concerned with Edwards. He appears to have zero motor, looks very soft and I have yet to see any skill. I have no idea why so many think he's a top 3 pick and if he didn’t have 5 stars next to his name, he would be buried deep on Cal's bench.

Wagner is a combo guard, but I like what Cal is doing with him. I think he knows Dillingham is going to run hot and cold, so in order for UK to he great, Wagner has to be the primary pg and I think he's right. If Cal can get DJ to be a solid pg with a 32% 3pt shooting percentage, he will have done more for him than anyone else has.

The thing that aggravates me is, these dudes can stink it up all season and still go lottery, because it's all about potential.

I wish we could keep Sheppard for 4 years, but at UK, there has only been 3 or 4 dudes that have stayed beyond 2 years and all were big guys. Even Lance Ware didn’t stay 4. It’s the culture, but also, Reed is a true basketball player. He can score 2 points off free throws and still score a +20. He lost his composure late in the game last night, but that won't happen again with him.

As far as KU, Harris can suck shit through a tube as far as I'm concerned. Dude never shoots the ball… .until he plays UK. He burned us last year IIRC and last night, he was freaking Steph Curry with some serious defensive plays. Damn that guy.

Juan had a 5/5 game vs Tech last year where they refused to guard him all game. Baylor did the same in AFH last year and he buried 2 or 3 in the 2nd half. I’m confused why coaches strategize to give Harris a bunch of space and play off of him so much. Especially when you can already play off of KJ. I’ve watched enough games to see that Harris struggles when you get up on him defensively but he had great games when opponents just give him a ton of space.

Juan had a 5/5 game vs Tech last year where they refused to guard him all game. Baylor did the same in AFH last year and he buried 2 or 3 in the 2nd half. I’m confused why coaches strategize to give Harris a bunch of space and play off of him so much. Especially when you can already play off of KJ. I’ve watched enough games to see that Harris struggles when you get up on him defensively but he had great games when opponents just give him a ton of space.
It was as if Dillingham was just trying to disrespect him. There was no reason to back off, or go under those ball screens. It’s not like he was going to double Hunter.

At that point in the game, you can't give up open 3's, those are killers and Harris had already proved he can hit those. Ugh, that was so bad.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
It's never been a good idea to leave Harris wide open. He won't usually hit 5/6, but he'll hit at a good clip.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT