ADVERTISEMENT

The “Mostly Things KU But Mostly Due To Hefty UK Support” Thread

The last tourney game coached by Bill Self:

kansas-2022-ncaa-tournament-champion.jpg

The last tourney game coached by Johnny Calipari:

641786a1d1202.image.jpg

Does this make you lil bro of lil bro?
Now double that and our programs will be equal.

Is kentucky recruiting anyone for 2024? I feel like no top recruits are looking at them. Cal fixin to leave?

Somto Cyril already in the fold for 2024. Returnees for 2024 most likely: Thiero, Sheppard, Burks, Hart, Onyenso, Ivisic.

Recruiting:

Travis Perry (KY all-time points leader, No. 83 overall prospect, No. 12 point guard and No. 1 player in Kentucky in the 2024
Caleb Wilson (Top 5 2025 unless reclassifying)
Boogie Fland (5 star)
Isiah Harwell (top 10 2025 unless reclassifying)
Billy Richmond (4 star)

As always, things come more into focus depending on who stays/leaves.

UK fans have no need to timeframe. Especially with fictitious bird fans.

24-11
8-4.

Actually, they timeframe all the time. Like the example I just gave you. 😆

Do your 40s titles help you cope with the midmajor-level success in recent years?

^^^just more noise that fans of teams without more titles say. Yaaaawwwwn.

And your stats are just noise spewed by people who live in the ancient past.

The Patriots have twice as many Super Bowl trophies as the Chiefs. Do you think I want to switch to Patriot fandom? Ponder that one.

There's nothing to ponder. the #'s are what they are.

24-11.
8-4.

This is the reality. It's time that you get a grip on it.

There's nothing to ponder. the #'s are what they are.

24-11.
8-4.

This is the reality. It's time that you get a grip on it.

Yep. And the numbers in the modern era are what they are. Sorry, chief.

40 years is a pretty decent sample. Longer than my lifetime. And during that time, you come up short. Deal with it.

Should @dukedevilz adjust his 50 greatest programs thread to only include KU stats for the last 40 years?
KU was a good program prior to that. I'm not sure why ppl dismiss it.

The Athletic released their preseason top 25. How can Kentucky be ranked 15 spots below a team that lost a preseason exhibition game? Has to be a mistake.

Kansas​

There are question marks about KU’s shooting, but the offense is going to be elite because of its passing ability. Opposing coaches are going to tear their hair out trying to figure out what to do in pick-and-roll coverage. Dajuan Harris Jr. is one of the best at making the pocket pass to the short roll, and both KJ Adams and Hunter Dickinson make quick decisions in that action.

Kevin McCullar Jr. is also a capable passer and a really good cutter. The group already looked to have great chemistry in August. And it’s August! Bill Self is going to have a blast figuring out ways to get Adams and Dickinson in advantage situations. He also has new ways to use Harris because he has other players capable of bringing the ball up, which will also save Harris’s legs. Self has also upgraded his bench. Kansas has seven guys who would start just about anywhere with Arterio Morris, Elmarko Jackson and Nick Timberlake battling for the fifth starter spot and the other two as the first off the bench. (New Aussie addition Johnny Furphy is also super interesting and gives Self some more lineup flexibility.)

We haven’t even mentioned the defense, which has two of the best perimeter defenders in the country (McCullar and Harris), and Self upgraded the team speed and positional length. And if you are wary of Dickinson being a part of an elite defense, go take a gander at Michigan’s numbers his freshman season, as well as the fact that Michigan had the second-best defense in the Big Ten during conference play last season. He’s surrounded by elite talent again, and it’s hard to see him failing in a system that’s designed to utilize his gifts.

Kentucky​

A pivotal season forthcoming for John Calipari. The Wildcats have a ton of talent, including a potential top-five pick in Justin Edwards, potential first-rounders in D.J. Wagner and Aaron Bradshaw, plus a bit of experience in seniors Antonio Reeves and Tre Mitchell.

Reeves and Mitchell, particularly, seem key to something that we saw from Kentucky during its GLOBL JAM win in Kentucky during the offseason. Calipari seems poised to play a more modern style of offense, with better floor spacing and a willingness to fire from 3. Reeves will be one of the best shooters in college hoops this season, a consistent sniper who hit 40 percent of his 200-plus attempts last season. For his part, Mitchell let it fly nearly five times per game from distance in the trip north of the border and has real potential as a physical, rebounding, floor-spacing four.

But ultimately, a lot of this will come down to how the freshmen perform. We have full faith in Edwards to be the best player on the team. But the rest of the roster comes with questions. Can Wagner consistently run the show and get the Wildcats efficient looks? He’s an aggressive shot-hunter and brings real tenacity on defense, but his decision-making could be questionable in high school (as could his shooting efficiency outside of 15 feet). Bradshaw has a ton of tools, but his production has never matched his inherent talent level, and he’s coming off of an offseason foot injury. Onyenso is also coming off an offseason foot injury, leaving the Wildcats so thin up front that they had to go get Croatian big Zvonimir Ivisic late in the summer.
Off-season champs. KU fans really have become the new UK fans.

Nothing wrong with being excited preseason. I've been saying that for years.

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
I have the utmost respect for all fans, however, some of their arguments leave me perplexed.
I don't think that way but to each their own, they can love whichever era they love the best and should promote that era.
Since OADs, since the transfer portal, all these are changes. Absolutely a new modern era.

Which are you proud of? A "sample" (your word), or all time?
I feel like you wouldn't even post before you were born.

I feel like most Kentucky fans have never watched a game from the 40s or 50s, even though they can be found on Youtube. Yet a lot of the same fans have watched and re-watched (maybe many times) big games from the modern era. Why do you think that is?

I feel like most Kentucky fans have never watched a game from the 40s or 50s. Yet a lot of the same fans have watched and re-watched (maybe many times) big games from the modern era. Why do you think that is?
I can't speak for others, but over the years, I've watched all those games others have recorded to properly understand our history.

The other teams were trying to win. It's all the same to me.
Doesn't it seem kind of foolish and bandwagon-like to disregard past teams?

I love the whole history of basketball, but I'm a fan.
I can go deeper if you want.., but I get the feeling you have no interest in KU basketball prior to when you were born, or when it's stats convenient.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Honestly, I don't think the KU fanbase bothered with record old games so young guns could watch the past.
No offense, but you're proof KU fans only care about the here and now despite the rich tradition of KU basketball.

Honestly, I don't think the KU fanbase bothered with record old games so young guns could watch the past.
No offense, but you're proof KU fans only care about the here and now despite the rich tradition of KU basketball.

KU fans talk about tradition as much as any and know as much about it as any. One can put a little more focus and emphasis on this era without losing appreciation for the rest.

"Modern era" is a common phrase in b-ball circles. As you know, Devilz even took the time to make a modern era ranking. KU fans will discuss the modern era and all-time. Kentucky fans will only discuss all-time (JC even threw a tantrum because Devilz had the audacity to make a modern era ranking 😂🤣 ).

Why can't both be discussed? What are certain people threatened by?

Btw, I seem to remember that you used to post stats like "most tourney wins since 2010" or some such thing. Does it just come down to whatever fits the argument? Are you guys the arbiters of what's acceptable to discuss that week?

Last edited:
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
KU fans talk about tradition as much as any and know as much about it as any. One can put a little more focus and emphasis on this era without losing appreciation for the rest.

"Modern era" is a common phrase in b-ball circles. As you know, Devilz even took the time to make a modern era ranking. KU fans will discuss the modern era and all-time. Kentucky fans will only discuss all-time (JC even threw a tantrum because Devilz had the audacity to make a modern era ranking 😂🤣 ).

Why can't both be discussed? What are Kentucky fans threatened by?

Btw, I seem to remember that you used to post stats like "most tourney wins since 2010" or some such thing. Does it just come down to whatever fits the argument? Are you guys the arbiters of what's acceptable to discuss that week?
What's your thoughts on Ted Owens?

I don't recall that. I'm guessing Calipari era?
Also, I don't mind ppl talking eras, but when folks dismiss eras, especially when they hang..nvm, but when folks dismiss decades as "grandpas" etc, the argument loses credibility.
Modern era/time frames is a crutch.

It's telling when folks use "since I've been alive'. I'm sure you understand.
Imagine a UConn 25-year-old using the same argument and saying we both suck and they are the best they've had more titles than KU has in their history.

It's convenient.

I don't recall that. I'm guessing Calipari era?
Also, I don't mind ppl talking eras, but when folks dismiss eras, especially when they hang..nvm, but when folks dismiss decades as "grandpas" etc, the argument loses credibility.
Modern era/time frames is a crutch.

It's telling when folks use "since I've been alive'. I'm sure you understand.
Imagine a UConn 25-year-old using the same argument and saying we both suck and they are the best they've had more titles than KU has in their history.

It's convenient.

Funny that you mention UConn. Remember when the comparison was made between UConn's last 25 years (their 1st title conveniently sneaking in at exactly 25 seasons ago) and KU's? And do you remember that it was one of your Kentucky buddies who pounced all over me after giving my take? Interesting that one of the very same people who had denounced timeframing was suddenly okay with timeframing. I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that the timeframe could be used against KU in this case...

Know what I never did during that argument? Whine about timeframing.

And do you know what I never do when arguing with a K-State football fan? Dismiss the modern era and present state of the programs. It would just feel silly to keep citing KU's all-time dominance when K-State's clearly had the upper hand for a few decades now.

Some of us are consistent. Some aren't.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Some of us are consistent. Some aren't.
Exactly.
Which is better, 80 years of consistency or 40?

*btw, I'm not going to tie you to other KU fans. I like our discussions. I hope you'll do the same. I have a lot of respect for your fandom and knowledge.

Last edited:
Reactions: ExitFlagger
I feel like most Kentucky fans have never watched a game from the 40s or 50s, even though they can be found on Youtube. Yet a lot of the same fans have watched and re-watched (maybe many times) big games from the modern era. Why do you think that is?
Fwiw, I haven’t rewatched a game from any era. Once is enough for me.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I can't speak for others, but over the years, I've watched all those games others have recorded to properly understand our history.

The other teams were trying to win. It's all the same to me.
Doesn't it seem kind of foolish and bandwagon-like to disregard past teams?
I haven’t watched the games from decades ago, but I know most of the names just because our tradition keeps it alive. Wah Wah Jones, Issel, Alex Groza, etc are not unfamiliar names nor are their accomplishments. I’m proud of our program’s lasting success. Not all years are going to be winners, but the past success is a great foundation to build present and future success. It beats starting from scratch.

UConn is a great example. They’ve had as great a run as anyone in recent history, but it doesn’t have the same luster. New money just doesn’t carry the same clout.

Yep. And the numbers in the modern era are what they are. Sorry, chief.

40 years is a pretty decent sample. Longer than my lifetime. And during that time, you come up short. Deal with it.

...the timeframing never ends with you. So convenient.

Your program remains on the short end of the stick (11-24, 4-8). You look pretty silly as you constantly try to spin away from that. Your lifetime is not a limit for the discussion of college hoops. Deal with that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT