ADVERTISEMENT

The “Mostly Things KU But Mostly Due To Hefty UK Support” Thread

....says another hayseed victim of 2012...which wasn't that long ago.

A Kentucky fan calling someone a hayseed. Gotta love it. 🤣

Yes, over a decade ago, your best team of all time beat a KU team that some had picked to miss the tourney. Incredible!

A Kentucky fan calling someone a hayseed. Gotta love it. 🤣

Yes, over a decade ago, your best team of all time beat a KU team that some had picked to miss the tourney. Incredible!
Who picked 11/12 KU to miss the tournament??? They made the title game and it was no fluke, that was a good team.

Who picked 11/12 KU to miss the tournament??? They made the title game and it was no fluke, that was a good team.

Can't remember...might have been Vitale. I know he didn't have them in his preseason top 25.

That team had lost 6 of the top 8 scorers from the year before, including the Morris twins, and brought in no major contributors. One of the first guys off the bench was a walk-on. Yet they probably would have been nat'l champs if they hadn't run into a historically talented team. Definitely one of Self's best coaching jobs.

Can't remember...might have been Vitale. I know he didn't have them in his preseason top 25.

That team had lost 6 of the top 8 scorers from the year before, including the Morris twins, and brought in no major contributors. One of the first guys off the bench was a walk-on. Yet they probably would have been nat'l champs if they hadn't run into a historically talented team. Definitely one of Self's best coaching jobs.
Kansas was ranked 13th in week 1 in the AP. Are you sure you’re thinking of the right year?

Last edited:
Kansas was ranked 13th in week 1 in the AP. Are you sure you’re thinking of the right year?

Yeah, I think most preseason polls had them in the 12-20 range. All I said was that some people had low expectations for the team. It's not like #13 is generally a legit title contender anyway, especially back then. Usually you had 5-6 really solid teams and a lot of mediocrity after that.

Again, they lost almost their entire rotation, didn't return any double digit scorers, and brought in essentially nothing. Imagine having the usual mass exodus at Kentucky, while adding nothing but a mediocre role player. Would you expect to reach the title game?

Yeah, I think most preseason polls had them in the 12-20 range. All I said was that some people had low expectations for the team. It's not like #13 is generally a legit title contender anyway, especially back then. Usually you had 5-6 really solid teams and a lot of mediocrity after that.

Again, they lost almost their entire rotation, didn't return any double digit scorers, and brought in essentially nothing. Imagine having the usual mass exodus at Kentucky, while adding nothing but a mediocre role player. Would you expect to reach the title game?
Out of your top 7 players, you had 2 seniors, including Tyshawn Taylor and 5 juniors, including Thomas Robinson.
I'd take that all day long, but maybe that's because I'm tired of seeing lineups made up of mostly toddlers who's testicles haven't dropped yet.

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
Out of your top 7 players, you had 2 seniors, including Tyshawn Taylor and 5 juniors, including Thomas Robinson.
I'd take that all day long, but maybe that's because I'm tired of seeing lineups made up of mostly toddlers who's testicles haven't dropped yet.

LOL. No you wouldn’t. Last year, 5 of your top 7 were seniors, including the NPOY from the previous year. You wouldn’t even consider trading the current roster for that one.

Calipari would have had 2012 KU in the NIT.

LOL. No you wouldn’t. Last year, 5 of your top 7 were seniors, including the NPOY from the previous year. You wouldn’t even consider trading the current roster for that one.

Calipari would have had 2012 KU in the NIT.
The game changed a few years ago, there isn't a roster out there Cal can win with.

Give that 22/23 roster to a legit coach and it certainly doesn't have 12 losses. These failures have not been from a lack of talent.

The game changed a few years ago, there isn't a roster out there Cal can win with.

Give that 22/23 roster to a legit coach and it certainly doesn't have 12 losses. These failures have not been from a lack of talent.

Anybody can win at a high level if they stack enough talent.

Would you trade this roster for last year's? I doubt it, and that roster was about experienced as it gets, while the other's about as inexperienced as they come.

By your logic, this year will be much worse than last year. I don't think you believe that, and I don't believe it either.

Anybody can win at a high level if they stack enough talent.

Would you trade this roster for last year's? I doubt it, and that roster was about experienced as it gets, while the other's about as inexperienced as they come.

By your logic, this year will be much worse than last year. I don't think you believe that, and I don't believe it either.
Would I trade this roster for last years? Depends on who the coach is.

right now, I don't think Cal can win with any college roster. I just think his focus is too heavy on getting kids drafted.

But the only thing that gives me pause, is Sahvir Wheeler. Why Cal thought Wheeler was UK material, is beyond me.

Veterans are what wins in college these days, so give me last years roster if my coach is someone like a Dusty May, Brian Dutcher, Musselman, or Kelvin Sampson. Those guys run good stuff without agendas. I think they would do more with a lottery pick + 3 NBA players and NPOY. 13 losses with that roster is just awful coaching, especially when the stas showed a certain line-up was the most efficient in college basketball. Cal refused to play that line-up. It’s his way, or no way and he would rather prove he's right instead of doing what's best.

This 23/24 team is going to get beat a lot. I'll be surprised if they go into the SECT with less than 10 losses

UK fans who do you hate more Duke, UNC, or KU?
KU fans who do you hate more UK, Duke, UNC?

Would I trade this roster for last years? Depends on who the coach is.

right now, I don't think Cal can win with any college roster. I just think his focus is too heavy on getting kids drafted.

But the only thing that gives me pause, is Sahvir Wheeler. Why Cal thought Wheeler was UK material, is beyond me.

Veterans are what wins in college these days, so give me last years roster if my coach is someone like a Dusty May, Brian Dutcher, Musselman, or Kelvin Sampson. Those guys run good stuff without agendas. I think they would do more with a lottery pick + 3 NBA players and NPOY. 13 losses with that roster is just awful coaching, especially when the stas showed a certain line-up was the most efficient in college basketball. Cal refused to play that line-up. It’s his way, or no way and he would rather prove he's right instead of doing what's best.

This 23/24 team is going to get beat a lot. I'll be surprised if they go into the SECT with less than 10 losses

The best mix will always be top shelf OADs combined with solid vets.

The youth excuse has been common among the fanbase and Calipari himself. But the last few years have shown that youth wasn't usually the issue. It was Calipari (which I know you've said). That doesn't mean that young rosters can't win big. Especially when they have a few quality vets mixed in like this year's roster (or 2012).

The only two programs that have consistently piled up OADs are Kentucky and Duke. And that formula won Calipari a lot of games, and it won K a lot of games. And I think a better coach than Calipari would have cleaned up with that talent.

Something that a lot of people don't consider is that Kentucky/Duke have top 100 upperclassmen buried at the end of their benches every year. Those guys are the featured players at places like KU, Mich St, etc. They just don't get their opportunity at Kentucky/Duke because there are 50 OADs in front of them. Plus, I think Cal is pretty poor at developing talent.

Pfft, Kansas isn't even on UK's "hate" radar.

In no particular order,
Duke
Florida
Indiana
Tennessee
Louisville
UNC

Considering Rafters normally has several KU threads on the top page, full of nothing but venomous hate, I'd hate to see how they treat the teams on your list. 😆

The best mix will always be top shelf OADs combined with solid vets.

The youth excuse has been common among the fanbase and Calipari himself. But the last few years have shown that youth wasn't usually the issue. It was Calipari (which I know you've said). That doesn't mean that young rosters can't win big. Especially when they have a few quality vets mixed in like this year's roster (or 2012).

The only two programs that have consistently piled up OADs are Kentucky and Duke. And that formula won Calipari a lot of games, and it won K a lot of games. And I think a better coach than Calipari would have cleaned up with that talent.

Something that a lot of people don't consider is that Kentucky/Duke have top 100 upperclassmen buried at the end of their benches every year. Those guys are the featured players at places like KU, Mich St, etc. They just don't get their opportunity at Kentucky/Duke because there are 50 OADs in front of them. Plus, I think Cal is pretty poor at developing talent.
Correct, if you have good juniors and seniors and you mix in a couple top shelf freshmen, you should be pretty damn good.
But it also starts with your guards. you better have great guards.

Cal relied on Sahvir Wheeler the last two years. He was great in a full court game, but in the half court, he stunk.

On top of that, Cal put all his eggs in the Wheeler basket. Tyty bailed him out 2 years ago, until he got injured and Wallace did okay last season, but he didn't seem all that invested, he had the draft to prepare for.

The bottom line is, Cal isn't going to win with any roster you give him right now. He is too focused on trying to outsmart everyone by playing lineups that make no sense and running offenses that he swears still work, even though everyone disagrees with him.

Cal gets into too many rock fight type games and he's just not a good enough coach to win those anymore.

And if you HAVE to have supreme talent at every position to beat teams that have no NBA talent, well, you're just a players manager at that point, not a coach.

Considering Rafters normally has several KU threads on the top page, full of nothing but venomous hate, I'd hate to see how they treat the teams on your list. 😆
Yeh, they do that with duke and louisville too.

What they don't understand, is they come off looking like a bunch of jealous fans. They hate programs because they're winning. But then, they hate Louisville, which I don't get, UK owns UofL in everything and with the fifty scandals they've had recently, what's left to hate?

Hating someone because they're good is such a bad look.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Goodman's second-guessing his pick of KU #1 because he claims they can't shoot. I don't expect them to consistently blaze the nets from deep, but that narrative seems way overblown.

Timberlake shot 42% last year (on 7 attempts/game). Harris shot 41%. Dickinson 42%. Morris shot around 45% over the second half of last season. Furphy can shoot. Elmarko shot 35% in HS. McDowell may not play much, but he can shoot.

The only dudes who are poor outside shooters are McCullar and Adams, and hopefully Adams won't be shooting threes (although he made a few in Puerto Rico).

Granted, Harris and Dickinson are low volume guys, but both are expected to fire more threes this year than before.

My main worry is that McCullar tries to play hero ball and shoots them out of games. Self said he's by far the most improved player and called him the best player on the team so far in practice. He's going to take on a bigger leadership role and will probably be looking to prove to the NBA that he can shoot from deep.

Last edited:
Goodman's second-guessing his pick of KU #1 because he claims they can't shoot. I don't expect them to consistently blaze the nets from deep, but that narrative seems way overblown.

Timberlake shot 42% last year (on 7 attempts/game). Harris shot 41%. Dickinson 42%. Morris shot around 45% over the second half of last season. Furphy can shoot. Elmarko shot 35% in HS. McDowell may not play much, but he can shoot.

The only dudes who are poor outside shooters are McCullar and Adams, and hopefully Adams won't be shooting threes (although he made a few in Puerto Rico).

Granted, Harris and Dickinson are low volume guys, but both are expected to fire more threes this year than before.

My main worry is that McCullar tries to play hero ball and shoots them out of games. Self said he's by far the most improved player and called him the best player on the team so far in practice. He's going to take on a bigger leadership role and will probably be looking to prove to the NBA that he can shoot from deep.
Eh, Goodman is desperate for clicks, take him with a grain of… .cow shit.

Goodman's second-guessing his pick of KU #1 because he claims they can't shoot.

giphy.gif

Flory was duke bound until he realized playing for Jon Scheyer over Bill Self was the dumbest thing anyone would do.

Flory was duke bound until he realized playing for Jon Scheyer over Bill Self was the dumbest thing anyone would do.

It’s safe to say the FBI-related recruiting struggles are over. Self’s been getting virtually anyone he wants lately, other than Mgbako. And even Mgbako was KU-bound until a last minute shift.

Very good player. Very good. Have worked some of his games(obviously, huh?)---Not only a great player, but a really good kid. Ya'll got a goodie.

Some people have compared him to what Bam Adebayo was at the prep level. If he can be anywhere close to what Bam was at UK his freshman season then we’re ecstatic. The fact that he’s been playing barely 2 years and has already made great strides really bodes well for his future. Hopefully eventually his ball skills pick up to the level of his athleticism and length.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Some people have compared him to what Bam Adebayo was at the prep level. If he can be anywhere close to what Bam was at UK his freshman season then we’re ecstatic. The fact that he’s been playing barely 2 years and has already made great strides really bodes well for his future. Hopefully eventually his ball skills pick up to the level of his athleticism and length.
One of the better Indiana HS prospects I have seen in some time. Very fluid---good control. Just a monster---And Kokomo plays very good competition. By the time this kid gets to KU----Yikes.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
OT, I have a new neighbor who's a dead ringer for Bam. "did you ever play ball? Naw I worked"

It's uncanny how much he looks like him.

Reactions: Big_C_KU
ADVERTISEMENT