ADVERTISEMENT

Tourney Games That Never Were...

mcnicKY91

Aug 6, 2021
Thought this would be an interesting topic/discussion.

What are some tournament games that never happened, that you were hoping would happen, when the brackets were released. Could include the team you support, or ones you don't.

For UK, three come to mind:

2005: UK vs UNC. UK lost in double OT to Mich St in Elite 8. Would have played UNC in FF had they won. UNC handled UK at Chapel Hill earlier in season, wanted the rematch as a fan (still think UNC would have won).

2010: UK vs KU in the championship game. Both were one seeds, and I thought were the two best teams in the country all year. KU lost to UNI in 2nd rd. UK lost to WVA in Elite 8. Really wanted that matchup.

2015: UK vs Duke in the championship game. This one hurts the most as a UK fan. K vs Cal, undefeated season on the line. The ratings were really good for Duke Wisc (28 million), could only imagine what they would have been for UK Duke.

For a non UK game...really wanted to see UConn vs UNC in 2009 championship game. Thought that would have been ultra competitive, but Mich St took out UConn in FF, and then were steamrolled by UNC.

1979: DePaul lost to Indiana State by 2. Indiana State went on to get curb stomped by Michigan State. DePaul vs MSU would've been a much better game and far more appealing to fans. Magic vs his good friend Mark Aguirre. The basketball world lost out on a potential epic final game matchup.

1979: DePaul lost to Indiana State by 2. Indiana State went on to get curb stomped by Michigan State. DePaul vs MSU would've been a much better game and far more appealing to fans. Magic vs his good friend Mark Aguirre. The basketball world lost out on a potential epic final game matchup.
Man, never realized how close DePaul was that year...were they a better team then Ind St and just got upset, or do think ISU was better overall?

Man, never realized how close DePaul was that year...were they a better team then Ind St and just got upset, or do think ISU was better overall?
I was 9 and not yet a basketball fan so don't know.

In 2010 I think it was the Natty game should have been Tennessee vs Duke. If we would have finished off Michigan St I have a pretty good feeling we take down Butler in the Final 4

Reactions: Random UK Fan

What are some tournament games that never happened, that you were hoping would happen, when the brackets were released. Could include the team you support, or ones you don't.

2005: UK vs UNC. UK lost in double OT to Mich St in Elite 8. Would have played UNC in FF had they won. UNC handled UK at Chapel Hill earlier in season, wanted the rematch as a fan (still think UNC would have won).

2010: UK vs KU in the championship game. Both were one seeds, and I thought were the two best teams in the country all year. KU lost to UNI in 2nd rd. UK lost to WVA in Elite 8. Really wanted that matchup.

2015: UK vs Duke in the championship game. This one hurts the most as a UK fan. K vs Cal, undefeated season on the line. The ratings were really good for Duke Wisc (28 million), could only imagine what they would have been for UK Duke.
Iowa vs Kansas - any point in time

Kansas never would've made it to blue blood status had they not been chicken sh**s and avoided us all these years.

92-93 NCAA tourney Kentucky vs. UNc. We lost to the fab five and Michigan but I think if we beat them we go on to beat a good UNc team. I think Rodney Dent could’ve held his own against Montross (RIP) and I don’t think UNc would’ve had an answer for Jamal Mashburn. Plus we had some lights out shooters like Dale Brown and Travis Ford who could stroke it from deep.

2012: Healthy UNC vs UK. Would have been IMO, one of the best title games ever.

1992: Indiana/UK FF. If not for "that damn shot". this would have been a terrific semi final game.

Last year---Was hoping to see IU/Houston.

2012: Healthy UNC vs UK. Would have been IMO, one of the best title games ever.

1992: Indiana/UK FF. If not for "that damn shot". this would have been a terrific semi final game.

Last year---Was hoping to see IU/Houston.
We played earlier that year and it was epic, but yes, both got better. Hard to dismiss KU.

Reactions: mcnicKY91
The 2nd round last year as a one seed immediately comes to mind. 😔
Purdue, if I recall correctly, would have gotten Florida Atlantic in the second round. In retrospect, seeing has how FAU went to the FF, would have been a really good matchup.

Purdue, if I recall correctly, would have gotten Florida Atlantic in the second round. In retrospect, seeing has how FAU went to the FF, would have been a really good matchup.
Could have been a great game. But the sumbitches from FDU had other plans.

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
Could have been a great game. But the sumbitches from FDU had other plans.
If FDU would have beat FAU I'm convinced the Vols would have been in the championship game. We likely beat FDU, think we were too physical for K-State and then would have outtalented SDSU to get to the final

If FDU would have beat FAU I'm convinced the Vols would have been in the championship game. We likely beat FDU, think we were too physical for K-State and then would have outtalented SDSU to get to the final
I really thought we were set up for another epic Purdue-Tennessee game. The last tourney game was one of the better tourney games this century. Hell, the last bowl game was epic too.

• Love
Reactions: ABVolsFan92
I really thought we were set up for another epic Purdue-Tennessee game. The last tourney game was one of the better tourney games this century. Hell, the last bowl game was epic too.
yes agreed

Kansas was nowhere near as good as UNC, at 100%.
They wasn’t but UK beat UNc at the beginning of the season with UNc having a full & healthy roster while we was still young and green. I think we beat them again that year if we played them. We wasn’t losing that title.

Last edited:
92-93 NCAA tourney Kentucky vs. UNc. We lost to the fab five and Michigan but I think if we beat them we go on to beat a good UNc team. I think Rodney Dent could’ve held his own against Montross (RIP) and I don’t think UNc would’ve had an answer for Jamal Mashburn. Plus we had some lights out shooters like Dale Brown and Travis Ford who could stroke it from deep.

That UNC team wasn't overly athletic but they were deep and tall. The front line was very good with Montross, Salavdori, Lynch, Reese and Rodl but they didn't wow you with their athleticism bu they were efficient.

That UK team was really good and the game vs Michigan was a classic. I remember Mashburn having an outstanding game. It's funny an ACC team ended the Fab 5's season 2 years in a row, duke got them the year before in the final.

UNc was really good that year and I cheered for them in the title game against the fab 5. I still think if Mash doesn’t foul out we beat them.

Also in my opinion they should’ve been called the Flashy 5 instead of the Fab 5. I think they was more flash than fabulous.

And 1993 FF w/ #1 Overall Seed Indiana playing UNC in the other semifinal had #2 seed Roy KU not upset Knight’s last great team in Elite 8

Reactions: Scotty00
That UNC team wasn't overly athletic but they were deep and tall. The front line was very good with Montross, Salavdori, Lynch, Reese and Rodl but they didn't wow you with their athleticism bu they were efficient.

That UK team was really good and the game vs Michigan was a classic. I remember Mashburn having an outstanding game. It's funny an ACC team ended the Fab 5's season 2 years in a row, duke got them the year before in the final.
Montross, Lynch, Salvadori and Reese (and Wenstrom if needed), probably foul-out Mashburn.

Woulda been a hellacious game, and Mashburn + shooters coulda been trouble.

Best FF ever, imo. Was more worried about UK, knew if 'we'* got a rematch against Fab Five that we'd win; Pitino/Mashburn buzzsaw was the scariest......but the Wolverines were underrated for being a well-rounded team defense/passing etc wise in addition to all that COCKY TALENT....

*(Dad was/is a Tar Heel grad, I was 8 during that FF, and was/still am all Heel for hoops)

PS - Webber Time-Out not a fluke/not luck....his head was spinning from playing so fvcking hard and being trapped all game and Dean had made them use all their TO's and wasted them mentally to allow that f up to happen....Webber had the greatest game up until that point, holy S.

+OT vs. The Cats 2 nights before helped that cause...

Another one is Memphis UNC in '08...thought that would have been a really entertaining game. But man, did KU blitz UNC in the first half.

Turns out KU Memphis was more than entertaining, as it went to OT.

KU 2020 vs literally anybody. Self’s 2nd best team at KU and didn’t even get a chance to go out and win it. That one will forever piss me off. There’s no reason they couldn’t have put together a small tournament with the best teams had them all play in the same arena, etc.

Reactions: okstatealumindfw
2005 Illinois vs Ok State

Even though Illinois vs Arizona became an instant classic. I really wanted to see the Illinois guards (Williams, Head and Brown) go against the Ok State guards (John Lucas, Graham Twins, JamesOn Curry).

But Salim Stoudamire had other plans

Reactions: mcnicKY91
KU 2020 vs literally anybody. Self’s 2nd best team at KU and didn’t even get a chance to go out and win it. That one will forever piss me off. There’s no reason they couldn’t have put together a small tournament with the best teams had them all play in the same arena, etc.
I thought the 2010 and 2011 KU teams were really good and absolutely loaded. I am no KU historian, but just looking at the rosters, would take 2010 and 2011 in a heartbeat over 2020.

For UNC it would have been against UK in 2012. I think UNC was the only team that could have beaten them. Not saying they would have beaten them but just the team with the best chance.

I would have to think an all timer would have been Duke and Kansas a couple of years ago. UNC smokes Duke on the unholy day of worship and Duke storms back to get revenge for K with a magical tourney run in the only time UNC and Duke would have ever met in the Final Four. Then they take out another blue blood in Kansas. K goes out on top. Just a real shame.

They wasn’t but UK beat UNc at the beginning of the season with UNc having a full & healthy roster while we was still young and green. I think we beat them again that year if we played them. We wasn’t losing that title.
That game was at Rupp, bro. PLus, UK lost to Vandy on a neutral floor in the SECT: Not young and green then. So you ain't convincing me UK for sure beats UNC on a neutral floor.

That game would have been epic.

And FTR, I think UK probably wins. And of note----Barnes, Bullock, Marhsall were soph's. Hariston and McAdoo were frosh. Henson and Strickland were juniors, and Zeller a senior----but UNC depended on youth as well.

Last edited:
Along the same lines, 2020 Dayton against anybody. Imagine being a midmajor with your best team ever and the NPOY and being set up to be an 1 seed and not being able to show out in the tournament.

Michigan State, coming off a final four in '19, with returning senior Cassius Winston and junior Xavier Tillman leading the way would have been a tough out. They ended the season on a five-game winning streak.

Reactions: Turinturumbar
That game was at Rupp, bro. PLus, UK lost to Vandy on a neutral floor in the SECT: Not young and green then. So you ain't convincing me UK for sure beats UNC on a neutral floor.

That game would have been epic.

And FTR, I think UK probably wins. And of note----Barnes, Bullock, Marhsall were soph's. Hariston and McAdoo were frosh. Henson and Strickland were juniors, and Zeller a senior----but UNC depended on youth as well.
Oh I’m not trying to convince anybody. Every team loses bad games and that includes UK. It happens! UK didn’t play their best against Vandy that day and Vandy played really good. Hats off to them. I just don’t think anybody was keeping Kentucky from winning the title that year. Kinda like in 09 with UNc. Teams may beat them during the season but they was winning the title.

Just curious though, you say I’m not convincing you UK wins but then you say you thought UK would win also so my question is why do you think UK would’ve won?

Michigan State, coming off a final four in '19, with returning senior Cassius Winston and junior Xavier Tillman leading the way would have been a tough out. They ended the season on a five-game winning streak.
KU ended on a 20 game winning streak including winning handily on the road against top 10 Baylor. Would have been a fun tournament. FSU was really good that year too.

Along the same lines, 2020 Dayton against anybody. Imagine being a midmajor with your best team ever and the NPOY and being set up to be an 1 seed and not being able to show out in the tournament.
Yup. I can only imagine how they feel.

As a KU football diehard I could only imagine it being as if KU had a top 5 team finally and were slated for a playoff appearance only for the whole thing to be cancelled.

Reactions: boilerzz
Iowa vs Indiana 1987 in the Final Four. We would have won the NC that year, if we didn't blow a 25 point lead to UNLV

I thought the 2010 and 2011 KU teams were really good and absolutely loaded. I am no KU historian, but just looking at the rosters, would take 2010 and 2011 in a heartbeat over 2020.
Those teams were good, but 2020 KU was Self’s 2nd best team and could give the ‘08 team a run for their money. They never lost a game after Self stopped trying to play two bigs at once and settled on the lineup. And come tourney time everyone was clicking at the same time. We were shooting well and playing great defense. Ended the season beating Baylor on the road handily(essentially the same Baylor team that won it all the next year), and several good road wins. Won their last 19 games of the year and finished 17-1 in league play.

ADVERTISEMENT