ADVERTISEMENT

Who to UK?

It's harrible the way rafters is melting down! A whole lot of delusional babies who need their social media passes temporarily suspended. Folks like that don't deserve a fine coach like Mark Pope.
I think part of the problem is their local coverage and message of “we are the gold standard and can get almost anyone to come here because we’re Kentucky” messaging. Yes, it’s a top tier job. But hiring guys who are already winning big at their current schools is really hard.

I hope every one of these posts are saved... I'm super curious at how this'll go.
I may have a couple jagerbombs in me, and be moderately high, but I'm not hating this hire.

I'm also not a UK fanatic tho, so.
.. but I'm hopeful for you guys.

And I'm pretty sure his BYU squad was the only home loss Kansas suffered this season, so .. good fuchin riddance to that guy.

my troll brain: this is the funniest sports day of my entire life. What a poverty program, KU is getting all time wins back within 15 games next year
You wish. Mark Pope is Dan Hurley 2.0, he just hasn't had the resources to unleash the fury yet.
jack-nicholson-sunglasses.gif

my reasonable brain - If you can win at BYU can be successful at UK for 20 years.

my troll brain: this is the funniest sports day of my entire life. What a poverty program, KU is getting all time wins back within 15 games next year
Wife ask---"what you think"?

Smart me: "Baby hes won every where hes been..---I think its a decent hire.

Real me: "Laughing my fukin ass off.....----I didn't tell her "everywhere he's been" was Utah Valley State and BYU.

Probably bite us both in the ass, Exit---Pope gonna turn out to be the next Wooden or something.

It's harrible the way rafters is melting down! A whole lot of delusional babies who need their social media passes temporarily suspended. Folks like that don't deserve a fine coach like Mark Pope.
I like you....always have. SO I mean this with as much respect as possible...

Do you really believe this? Kentucky----The Adolph Rupp's....Pitino's, Calipari's....

TO Mark Pope?

A "leader board" of the who's who of CBB----Oats, Hurley, Drew......All in mention for Donovan.

Ends with Mark Pope.

I mean can you see why some might be a tad, well, "upset"?

Wife ask---"what you think"?

Smart me: "Baby hes won every where hes been..---I think its a decent hire.

Real me: "Laughing my fukin ass off.....----I didn't tell her "everywhere he's been" was Utah Valley State and BYU.

Probably bite us both in the ass, Exit---Pope gonna turn out to be the next Wooden or something.
I'd like to see what he can do with some actual talent though. Tied for 5th in the Big 12 (with Kansas) ain't too bad with a bunch of nobodies on the roster.

I'd like to see what he can do with some actual talent though. Tied for 5th in the Big 12 (with Kansas) ain't too bad with a bunch of nobodies on the roster.
I mean , yeah. BUT damn Kev. UK hiring Mark Pope just seems, well-----wrong. My entire life except for that BCG thingy, UK has been led by a fukin ALPHA....Yeah, even Tubby.

Just doesn't sound right. Sort of like putting peanut butter on a hamburger...

Reactions: Txcountrylawyer
I mean , yeah. BUT damn Kev. UK hiring Mark Pope just seems, well-----wrong. My entire life except for that BCG thingy, UK has been led by a fukin ALPHA....Yeah, even Tubby.

Just doesn't sound right. Sort of like putting peanut butter on a hamburger...
It is a very risky and probably stupid ass move by Mitch, but there is a chance it pays off. Still hope dumbass Mitch gets canned tomorrow.

Cant wait for work....Might go in early. Co-worker is a big UK'er----Just an obnoxious bitch. All I have heard---"We are UK dude----can get who we want.."

So when I see him, simply gonna say---"You were right. I knew UK brand was big----but damn, you mudders hired "The Pope"----That's impressive. SmokinSmile SmokinSmile

It is possible someone gets fired, or beat up-----Or both.

I won’t be surprised if he’s better than Hubert or Scheyer. Haven’t followed him closely, but he seems like a legit Xs and Os guy. Runs some interesting stuff and makes good use of personnel. BYU was better than they had any right to be this year.

This is what I'm thinking. BYU's personnel was closer to NIT quality - and he had them as a top 25 team most of the season. BYU is a terrific passing team - they get wide open shots all day. They just don't have many elite shooters. With the right personnel, he could have a juggernaut offense.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
It is a very risky and probably stupid ass move by Mitch, but there is a chance it pays off. Still hope dumbass Mitch gets canned tomorrow.

Pope is an alum and Mitch has hung him out to dry. He loves UK and the fan base will revolt because we went from elite coaches to him in 18 hours lol.

This is what I'm thinking. BYU's personnel was closer to NIT quality - and he had them as a top 25 team most of the season. BYU is a terrific passing team - they get wide open shots all day. They just don't have many elite shooters. With the right personnel, he could have a juggernaut offense.
In all honesty, he's solid. BUT, is he UK solid? I dunno. And how patient will they be?

In all honesty, he's solid. BUT, is he UK solid? I dunno. And how patient will they be?

Idk. It's a risk, sure. And I would have given the nod to a few others before Pope. But, as others have said, not anymore of a risk than Hubert or Scheyer. He's a big analytics guy. Maybe a poor man's Nate Oats, but with more personality. BYU often ran a 5-out offense. Super hard to defend - now put elite shooters all over the court? Yeah, he could do very well there with the right personnel. Not sure about the defensive side of the ball, though.

I like you....always have. SO I mean this with as much respect as possible...

Do you really believe this? Kentucky----The Adolph Rupp's....Pitino's, Calipari's....

TO Mark Pope?

A "leader board" of the who's who of CBB----Oats, Hurley, Drew......All in mention for Donovan.

Ends with Mark Pope.

I mean can you see why some might be a tad, well, "upset"?
Well, I admit that it makes me a bit narvous. But I am glad to finally have a coach who gives a damn about UK. I suppose he could do worse than Cal, but I doubt it. I'm not criticizing. people for being concerned, but once the hire is made ya get behind the coach, period. And if at all possible, try not to show your ass.

Judging from this coaching search I’d say around lunchtime, afternoon tea at the longest.

Well, I admit that it makes me a bit narvous. But I am glad to finally have a coach who gives a damn about UK. I suppose he could do worse than Cal, but I doubt it. I'm not criticizing. people for being concerned, but once the hire is made ya get behind the coach, period. And if at all possible, try not to show your ass.
I can respect that....

But you doubt he could do worse than Cal? Like Four Final fours Cal---National title Cal...….7 E8's. I get it, last four years....Rough for sure. But think about this...

Coach K went to 13 Final Fours. BUT...………..7 of those came from 1986 to 1995. Including 5 in a row. His 7th FF came in his 14th season @ Duke.....1994. After that 1994 FF?

Missed NCAAT---Bad back season
Lost in 1st round
Lost in 2nd round.

If you include 92-93, 2nd round loss, K had a 5 year stretch like this:

2nd RD loss
FF
Missed NCAAT
1st round loss
2nd round loss

Sort of familiar looking.....

I won’t be surprised if he’s better than Hubert or Scheyer. Haven’t followed him closely, but he seems like a legit Xs and Os guy. Runs some interesting stuff and makes good use of personnel. BYU was better than they had any right to be this year.
Pitino’s also got his ear for advice.

He was obviously holding out for his dream job.
Jokes aside, Dan Hurley’s dream job is actually Duke. He has a very good relationship with Coach K and he took the job of UConn with Coach K’s advice as well. If Jon Scheyer doesn’t work out for Duke, I wont be surprised that Duke will poach him from UConn eventually.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Definitely a humbling experience for UK in the coaching search. The hire has huge upside and is an alum to boot. Maybe he kills it at Kentucky in a couple seasons? Who knows.

Reactions: JC for 3
I can respect that....

But you doubt he could do worse than Cal? Like Four Final fours Cal---National title Cal...….7 E8's. I get it, last four years....Rough for sure. But think about this...

Coach K went to 13 Final Fours. BUT...………..7 of those came from 1986 to 1995. Including 5 in a row. His 7th FF came in his 14th season @ Duke.....1994. After that 1994 FF?

Missed NCAAT---Bad back season
Lost in 1st round
Lost in 2nd round.

If you include 92-93, 2nd round loss, K had a 5 year stretch like this:

2nd RD loss
FF
Missed NCAAT
1st round loss
2nd round loss

Sort of familiar looking.....
I obviously wasn't talking about his glory days. I think the transfer portal and NIL has changed the game so much that there is a higher premium on actual coaching skill. Guys like Cal who are only recruiters will be exposed. The portal and NIL really spreads the talent around to the point where every year teams can restock via free agency. The ones who win going forward are the ones who can actually coach That's my theory about why Cal got left behind. I may be way off base.

I obviously wasn't talking about his glory days. I think the transfer portal and NIL has changed the game so much that there is a higher premium on actual coaching skill. Guys like Cal who are only recruiters will be exposed. The portal and NIL really spreads the talent around to the point where every year teams can restock via free agency. That's my theory about why Cal got left behind. I may be way off base.
The same fans who think we lost a great coach coined the term “All that talent and nothing to show for it.

Make no mistake, this change had to happen as Calipari became a liability for UK. Sure he put players in the league but he totally lost the plot on what matters in CBB. You win to maintain the program's legitimacy as far as a player at the top of competition. Calipari forgot that you win first, everything else is gravy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT