ADVERTISEMENT

As A CBB Fan; Who Would Be a Homerun Hire as Calipari’s Replacement?

Random UK Fan

Dec 10, 2018
This is a question aimed primarily at fans of another program. It’s one of a few jobs that coaches make a jump for. Who would you think would be some good potential matches, even if it might mean possibly losing your coach?

Of course all of this is based on his job becoming vacant, which it hasn’t. . . at least not yet.

Last edited:
tom-crean.jpg

The article you posted has some hilarious choices in it. SO many in conference coaches listed.

This is a question aimed primarily at fans of another program. It’s one of a few jobs that coaches make a jump for. Who would you think would be some good potential matches, even if it might mean possibly losing your coach?

Of course all of this is based on his job becoming vacant, which it hasn’t. . . at least not yet.
The thing that makes UK desirable for a potential coach is the salary and the commitment that the university is willing to do anything for success.

I don't have a pick, but I would think the coach would need to be in his 40's-early 50's. He would need to possess a good track record and a win first attitude. Finally, he would need to like to live life under a microscope.

The thing that makes UK desirable for a potential coach is the salary and the commitment that the university is willing to do anything for success.

I don't have a pick, but I would think the coach would need to be in his 40's-early 50's. He would need to possess a good track record and a win first attitude. Finally, he would need to like to live life under a microscope.
Without a doubt. I don’t really have a front-runner, but for some reason I’m liking Sean Miller’s name. He’s not as flashy, but he seems to fit the mold.

Reactions: KisteK and Deepelm
I'm thinking Cal will be back. But with a new contract that eliminates the buyout. A 1 year contract to see how it goes and to see if he has the right formula for winning, what players can he retain, what can he get from the portal, and a top notch defense. Program 1st (winning, player retrention) and players to the NBA lower on the priorites.

I'm not sure the current admin can find any viable replacements.

I'm thinking Cal will be back. But with a new contract that eliminates the buyout. A 1 year contract to see how it goes and to see if he has the right formula for winning, what players can he retain, what can he get from the portal, and a top notch defense. Program 1st (winning, player retrention) and players to the NBA lower on the priorites.

I'm not sure the current admin can find any viable replacements.
Why the hell would Calipari agree to that?

There’s no need to fire Cal right now, and for your reference, Duke lost to 15th seed in 2012 and then 14th seed in 2014, and won a title in 2015. UK lost to 15th seed in 2022 and then 14th seed this year, perhaps history will repeat itself.

There’s no need to fire Cal right now, and for your reference, Duke lost to 15th seed in 2012 and then 14th seed in 2014, and won a title in 2015. UK lost to 15th seed in 2022 and then 14th seed this year, perhaps history will repeat itself.

I appreciate the pick me up, I really do, but Calipari has won 1 post season game in 5 years. That’s in both our conference and NCAA tourneys with perennial 4 - 5 McDonald’s AA’s/future NBA Allstars . . and they pay him $9M a year for that record. There’s nothing to point to in his recent processes that is indicative of a deep run around the corner. If you can’t get it done with these players, then it just isn’t going to happen. He isn’t coming up with a new scheme to change everything overnight.

5 years.
10 tournaments.
1 win.

Cal is in good tier not great. Think we're ready for another great one (or a drunk, Huggins is available).
He did hang a lot of banners, nearly 25% of total banners. 4 out of 17 total. Pitino 3, Hall 2, and Tubby 1. He's 2nd only to Rupp. 2nd to Rupp in wins as well.

Maybe Pitino should drop down from great if Calipari does and that just leaves UK with one great coach.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Deepelm
I appreciate the pick me up, I really do, but Calipari has won 1 post season game in 5 years. That’s in both our conference and NCAA tourneys with perennial 4 - 5 McDonald’s AA’s/future NBA Allstars . . and they pay him $9M a year for that record. There’s nothing to point to in his recent processes that is indicative of a deep run around the corner. If you can’t get it done with these players, then it just isn’t going to happen. He isn’t coming up with a new scheme to change everything overnight.

5 years.
10 tournaments.
1 win.
to put it in perspective, over the past 5 years Kentucky has exactly the same amount of post season wins as DePaul.

Why the hell would Calipari agree to that?
I'ld say if he didn't, then the buyout happens. I wouldn't let Cal call the shots. Its not working. Maybe the buyout remains but at a lot less than it is currently. I'ld certainly raise the bar on the metrics as well. Cal put your money where your mouth is.

UK coaches go in cycles.

Great (Rupp, Pitino, Calipari)
Good (Joe B Hall, Tubby)
Drunk (Sutton, Gillespie)

Next up is good.
Tubby is a better head coach than Calipari imo.

Ya"ll don't really have any choices. There's no assistant coach like Hubert Davis or Jon Scheyer waiting on the bench to step up and take over.

I'ld say if he didn't, then the buyout happens. I wouldn't let Cal call the shots. Its not working. Maybe the buyout remains but at a lot less than it is currently. I'ld certainly raise the bar on the metrics as well. Cal put your money where your mouth is.
Cal doesn't want to stop coaching UK and the school would be foolish to pay that Buyout unless they have a very strong HC option to take over.

Ya"ll are stuck with Cal.

Cal doesn't want to stop coaching UK and the school would be foolish to pay that Buyout unless they have a very strong HC option to take over.

Ya"ll are stuck with Cal.

They should have implemented an incentive plan instead of that contract that now has them over a barrel.

Reactions: NewEraCATS

5 years.
10 tournaments.
1 win.
2 wins bruh. Vandy in 2022 SECT and Providence in 2023 NCAAT. And it was only 8 tournaments since no tourneys happened in 2020. 💪 💪 💪

He did hang a lot of banners, nearly 25% of total banners. 4 out of 17 total. Pitino 3, Hall 2, and Tubby 1. He's 2nd only to Rupp. 2nd to Rupp in wins as well.

Maybe Pitino should drop down from great if Calipari does and that just leaves UK with one great coach.

Pitino didn't have a down period that Cal has had. He came in, wrecked shit and left. Cal's last decade really hurts him. His highs are incredible, but his lows are worse than any coach in program history.

ADVERTISEMENT