ADVERTISEMENT

Will it get ugly if Cal doesn't choose to leave

ThePhog08

Gold Member
May 2, 2008
UK is handcuffed by a lifetime contract. If UK keeps losing and having disappointing years will the fan backlash get ugly? UK fans are crazy, I am shocked they haven't protested at cals house. 3 straight home losses is wild

I didn’t see much of the game so can’t really comment on most of it, but I will say that the last play call at the end when down two might have been the worst I’ve seen in years from a hall of fame coach. Still scratching my head a bit about that one.

I’m guessing a lot of their less vocal fanbase is waiting it out to see if he can pull it together this year. There’s still a lot of talent on the roster but time is running a little lower with each passing game.

Reactions: cdbearde
It won’t get ugly. There’s nothing the fanbase can do really except post on message boards and call into radio shows (if there is such a thing anymore). The fans have been unhappy for a few years now.

Kentucky isn’t Kentucky anymore. We’ve given every record we own away practically.

I didn’t see much of the game so can’t really comment on most of it, but I will say that the last play call at the end when down two might have been the worst I’ve seen in years from a hall of fame coach. Still scratching my head a bit about that one.

I’m guessing a lot of their less vocal fanbase is waiting it out to see if he can pull it together this year. There’s still a lot of talent on the roster but time is running a little lower with each passing game.

Lot of talent on the roster but for the umpteenth year in a row Cal continues to have no idea how to manage it. You have 3 elite shooting guards and they rarely play together. He's back to shoehorning multiple centers a game (who all suck) into the lineup from time to time. He's a HOF coach that the game has passed years ago.

It won’t get ugly. There’s nothing the fanbase can do really except post on message boards and call into radio shows (if there is such a thing anymore). The fans have been unhappy for a few years now.

Kentucky isn’t Kentucky anymore. We’ve given every record we own away practically.
We have some mattresses that somehow didn't get burned during the Kiffin, Dooley years. We could send them your way if you like?

WHy wasnt Dilly in the game?
Just like the other 50 dudes tearing it up in the NBA, we'll always wonder why they didn't play here, or didn't kill it here.

Well, I know why. NBA potential is just that… potential, you can't build a program around future potential and think it’s going to dominate.

Last I checked, there wasn’t an NBA lockout and a generational talent brought in.

If you want to see Dillingham play great, wait until next year and tune into Fox, he’s not one of Cal's favorites, so he sits.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
So you are down two---and you keep Dilly off the floor---because????? And if you re implying because of his defense---I mean, who the **** plays defense for UK?
I don't see these comments when it comes to any other coach, but these "wtf" comments by anyone watching cbb, are being said every year now and Cal gives the same dumb answers. He’s that old man that is still lost in his own mind

Rinse and repeat.

Dude is washed up.

At one point, this UK team was killing it, he went and messed with it and started playing favorites and here we are. A good coach would have this team in the top 5 right now.

I don't see these comments when it comes to any other coach, but these "wtf" comments by anyone watching cbb, are being said every year now and Cal gives the same dumb answers. He’s that old man that is still lost in his own mind

Rinse and repeat.

Dude is washed up.

At one point, this UK team was killing it, he went and messed with it and started playing favorites and here we are. A good coach would have this team in the top 5 right now.
Amazing he left Dilly on the bench.

UK is handcuffed by a lifetime contract. If UK keeps losing and having disappointing years will the fan backlash get ugly? UK fans are crazy, I am shocked they haven't protested at cals house. 3 straight home losses is wild
Why would Cal choose to leave?

Reactions: FaithPlusOne

Rinse and repeat.

Dude is washed up.

This UK team has never been killing anything defensively this year.

Go ahead and play any five guys you want. Won't make one difference defensively.

UK will still give up 85-100 pts a game...doesn't matter what five you want to play.

This UK team has never been killing anything defensively this year.

Go ahead and play any five guys you want. Won't make one difference defensively.

UK will still give up 85-100 pts a game...doesn't matter what five you want to play.
I'd argue they were much better defensively in November and December than they are now. Cal went and screwed them up.

I'd argue they were much better defensively in November and December than they are now. Cal went and screwed them up.

Always figured getting the bigs back would be an issue, not an improvement because you know how Cal loves playing centers. Shame Cal won't even think about trying zone. Can't do any worse than m2m.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Always figured getting the bigs back would be an issue, not an improvement because you know how Cal loves playing centers. Shame Cal won't even think about trying zone. Can't do any worse than m2m.
The sheer stubbornness to adjust is frustrating. I mean to watch layup after layup after layup is maddening.

He’s been.playing 2 bigs together a lot. We knew it was going to happen too. He just can't help himself.
This team was rocking when we had to play small earoy in the season.

I would disagree. In Nov and Dec UK was playing mostly midmajors. So naturally any defensive metrics are going to be artificially enhanced when playing crappy competition.

UKs defense sucked just as much then as it does now. Heck, they had no answers defensively for St Joe's, UNCW, Marshall etc.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
He’s been.playing 2 bigs together a lot. We knew it was going to happen too. He just can't help himself.
This team was rocking when we had to play small earoy in the season.

Even bigger than that is his refusal to play Sheppard, Dilly and Reeves together. Gotta get Edwards his minutes because you know can't take away hearts and all that. That being said Edwards was better against UT, still laughable he's starting.

Sheppard
Dillingham
Reeves
Adou
Mitchell

Give me this lineup. It's our best offensive lineup. Defense? Try a zone, press whatever.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Even bigger than that is his refusal to play Sheppard, Dilly and Reeves together. Gotta get Edwards his minutes because you know can't take away hearts and all that. That being said Edwards was better against UT, still laughable he's starting.

Sheppard
Dillingham
Reeves
Adou
Mitchell

Give me this lineup. It's our best offensive lineup. Defense? Try a zone, press whatever.
That lineup would get absolutely destroyed on the glass.

UK has been getting dominated on the glass, and playing that lineup would be a death sentence.

I would disagree. In Nov and Dec UK was playing mostly midmajors. So naturally any defensive metrics are going to be artificially enhanced when playing crappy competition.

UKs defense sucked just as much then as it does now. Heck, they had no answers defensively for St Joe's, UNCW, Marshall etc.
It’s basically saying this turd looks better than that turd, but on a neutral court, UK held a top 5 uNC team to 83 and KU got 89… without any bigs.

Tennessee scored 103 on us in Rupp, a very bad Gonzaga team just put up 89 on us in Rupp, Vandy scored 77, UGA scored 96 in Rupp, Florida scored 94, aTm put up 97 on us.

Right now, we are allowing everyone to score on most of their possessions, that wasn't the case in November and December.

As far as St Joe and UNCW, we were seeing a lot of teams struggle early in the season with mid majors. I chalk that up to heing freshmen. Heck, that 19/20 team lost to Evansville at home with a damn good defensive team.

On the flip side, teams like KU and uNC weren't as good offensively in November and December as they are now. Our defense has just not gotten better and in a lot of areas, it is worse.

That lineup would get absolutely destroyed on the glass.

UK has been getting dominated on the glass, and playing that lineup would be a death sentence.

Yes, there are tradeoffs for everything. Our guards would have to step up. But it's not like the centers we have are particularly elite on that end anyway. Bradshaw and Z get pushed around

Reactions: Montana81

I think it might be that other teams have improved offensively after playing with each other for a few months and UK’s defense hasn’t improved at that level. That, and teams having more film on UK’s defensive tendencies and can game-plan better.

I do agree with you that they look worse though. Gonzaga just kept running the same play over and over and Kentucky couldn’t stop it.

Reactions: cdbearde
I think it might be that other teams have improved offensively after playing with each other for a few months and UK’s defense hasn’t improved at that level. That, and teams having more film on UK’s defensive tendencies and can game-plan better.

I do agree with you that they look worse though. Gonzaga just kept running the same play over and over and Kentucky couldn’t stop it.
Our defensive metrics have steadily dropped each week. At one time, our defensive rating was in the 30's, then it was in the 60's, then it was 98th, then it was 120th and now… .we rank 283rd in adjusted defensive efficiency on Bartorvik.com. 283rd. You can't get much worse than that. We’re close to dead last.

That kinda proves what I'm saying. Yeah, everyone else is improving offensively, but I don't think we can actually say our defense has stayed the same. I would say it has gotten disturbingly worse according to the numbers.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Let's see ....

Play a lineup that can get 4 or 5 more rebounds a game but cant play defense or break 70 points.

Vs

Playing a lineup that can't play defense or rebound but can put up 100.

I don't know which team will win more games but I know which one will be more enjoyable to watch.

Let's see ....

Play a lineup that can get 4 or 5 more rebounds a game but cant play defense or break 70 points.

Vs

Playing a lineup that can't play defense or rebound but can put up 100.

I don't know which team will win more games but I know which one will be more enjoyable to watch.

First month of the year was the most enjoyable Kentucky has been since 2017. So exciting to watch a team run up and down the floor and have an offense that resembled something this century.

First month of the year was the most enjoyable Kentucky has been since 2017. So exciting to watch a team run up and down the floor and have an offense that resembled something this century.
it%27s-all-gone-wil-dasovich.gif

I’m not here to rub anything in (we’ve won 11 games in two years), but you lost to Wilmington at home, and if the big guy from St Joes hits one of two free throws, they would have beaten y’all too. I’m not rubbing anything in, just trying to jog your memory some.

I’m not here to rub anything in (we’ve won 11 games in two years), but you lost to Wilmington at home, and if the big guy from St Joes hits one of two free throws, they would have beaten y’all too. I’m not rubbing anything in, just trying to jog your memory some.

Well, they did win the St Joe's game(obviously shouldn't have been close). The UNCW game they lost was Bradshaw's first game back and he played 13 minutes. Coincidence? Illuminati? We will never know.

Reactions: RR30

UNC Wilmington was the first game we had a big back. And I didn't say the results were perfect, just that they were a ton of fun to watch. Offense is still from time to time, but they've regressed hard everywhere else.

Reactions: rockycard
The IU Ky series needs to reboot. It is good for both teams and frankly all of college basketball.

The IU Ky series needs to reboot. It is good for both teams and frankly all of college basketball.
Why? What does IU bring to the table that Butthole State doesn't already bring?

What you mean is, it's good for IU's program and fanbase, that’s pretty much it.

And no, I'm not stalking you.

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
Our defensive metrics have steadily dropped each week. At one time, our defensive rating was in the 30's, then it was in the 60's, then it was 98th, then it was 120th and now… .we rank 283rd in adjusted defensive efficiency on Bartorvik.com. 283rd. You can't get much worse than that. We’re close to dead last.

That kinda proves what I'm saying. Yeah, everyone else is improving offensively, but I don't think we can actually say our defense has stayed the same. I would say it has gotten disturbingly worse according to the numbers.

Maybe Cal ruined them, but I think other coaches game planning and having film is a huge factor. Now that the deficiencies are really well defined it’s easier for good coaches to figure out how to exploit them.

I think you are fully off the Cal bus and it would take a title this year to persuade you to be back. But I think if you guys win tonight and Saturday then quite a few will probably be back to talking about a final 4 run.

Maybe Cal ruined them, but I think other coaches game planning and having film is a huge factor. Now that the deficiencies are really well defined it’s easier for good coaches to figure out how to exploit them.

I think you are fully off the Cal bus and it would take a title this year to persuade you to be back. But I think if you guys win tonight and Saturday then quite a few will probably be back to talking about a final 4 run.
Cal is obsessed with big guys. We all knew he would go bonkers and play two bigs together once they got cleared and came back from injury and here we are.

UK was better defensively when they played 5 out with Mitchell at the 5 and yes, Cal refusing to hedge and try ANYTHING else defensively, is the reason why UK is so easy to game plan for.

Look, Cal is never going to win another title, not here, not anywhere. He’s too stubborn and his style of play no longer works. Plus, he refuses to develop rosters by keeping players in his program. He created the one-and-done culture and he's doing nothing to wash it off.

You will not win titles with rental players, but Cal doesn't care, he’s more concerned with getting players drafted than winning college games and that’s why I soured on.him many years ago. You don't get to prioritize draft picks while losing at a historic rate, then attack the fanbase, nope, you don't do that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT