ADVERTISEMENT

Who to UK?

That number’s hard to believe, but if he’s going to be swimming in NIL dough, there’s no reason he won’t do a decent job. Most players are going to the highest bidder.
The donors are there, if I had to guess, I would say they didn't want to waste their money on kids that were just coming to UK for the name on the back and to leage as fast as possible. I would rather see my money go to a player that was there for the program.
Yeah, some kids are still going to leave after a great season, but with Cal, even bad players leave after stinking it up all year.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
I won’t be surprised if he’s better than Hubert or Scheyer. Haven’t followed him closely, but he seems like a legit Xs and Os guy. Runs some interesting stuff and makes good use of personnel. BYU was better than they had any right to be this year.
Legit Xs & Os guy who's never won a NCAA tourney game and just lost to Duquesne in the 1st round.

Hubert has a national championship appearance, a Sweet 16 and a regular season ACC title in 3 years.

Scheyer has an ACC tournament championship and an Elite 8 in 2 years.

The best job search I can compare this to is when Guthridge left UNC in 2000. The first choice, and obvious choice, was Roy Williams. He said no. And then they went to Larry Brown, George Karl, and Eddie Fogler (why did Fogler say no lol?). There may have been others I'm forgetting. They resorted to one of their own former players - and an up and coming coach, Matt Doherty. I know Doherty wasn't on the top of anyone's list when the search began. Very similar to Kentucky and Pope.

I'm not saying Pope is Doherty - or that he'll struggle like he did. Just simply saying the job search to find a replacement was similar.
An interesting comparison, though if Mark Pope is UK’s Matt Doherty, then who is UK’e Roy Williams?

Legit Xs & Os guy who's never won a NCAA tourney game and just lost to Duquesne in the 1st round.

Hubert has a national championship appearance, a Sweet 16 and a regular season ACC title in 3 years.

Wasn’t a sexy hire, but no reason to kill the guy before he steps on the court. He loves UK and is going to give his all. He runs a fun offense, too. Let’s see what happens.

An interesting comparison, though if Mark Pope is UK’s Matt Doherty, then who is UK’e Roy Williams?

There wouldn't be a direct correlation in terms of a former assistant like Roy (10-year assistant at UNC). It'd be whoever was #1 on their priority list. It appeared that #1 for Barnhart was Scott Drew. #1 for most UK fans, however, was Dan Hurley.

There wouldn't be a direct correlation in terms of a former assistant like Roy (10-year assistant at UNC). It'd be whoever was #1 on their priority list. It appeared that #1 for Barnhart was Scott Drew. #1 for most UK fans, however, was Dan Hurley.
Well Roy Williams had poor tournament record with KU but suddenly decided to figure it out at UNC, becoming one of the best tournament coaches in the era. In this case, Id say Scott Drew makes sense. Despite winning a championship at Baylor, he’s tournament record was at best mediocre. Perhaps at UK he will somehow figure it out like Roy Williams did at UNC, and bring 3 more titles under his name.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Well Roy Williams had poor tournament record with KU but suddenly decided to figure it out at UNC, becoming one of the best tournament coaches in the era. In this case, Id say Scott Drew makes sense. Despite winning a championship at Baylor, he’s tournament record was at best mediocre. Perhaps at UK he will somehow figure it out like Roy Williams did at UNC, and bring 3 more titles under his name.
What if UK turns into a middling SEC team now? At least with Cal they were guaranteed an all star roster.
If I were a UK fan that would be my fear.

He had some early flameouts in the round of 32 and sweet 16s, but he also made 4 final 4s (2 of which he got to the title game). That’s pretty good for 15 years (14 where he was tournament eligible). I certainly don’t think I’d classify that as “poor”. I will agree with you that his tournament success was substantially better at UNC, obviously.

Well to be clear on things, both Hubert and Scheyer were being groomed for their positions as head coach, at two bluebloods. Not like they started coaching careers at Utah Valley and BYU...

They both had the luxury of inheriting good rosters and recruits. If afforded the same set of circumstances, I am sure Pope could have gone into either program and had the exact same success that Hubert and Scheyer have had thus far.

Mitch said on a local radio interview “This is about the name on the front of the jersey.” and They’ve “Already had some top recruits reach out to them about visiting.”

Reactions: I am stupid
I like this hire for Kentucky. He’s a Kentucky guy through and through, and by all accounts, incredibly smart and personable and crazy hard-working. And if it doesn’t work out, he serves as a buffer of sorts between Calipari and whoever’s next.

I like this hire for Kentucky. He’s a Kentucky guy through and through, and by all accounts, incredibly smart and personable and crazy hard-working. And if it doesn’t work out, he serves as a buffer of sorts between Calipari and whoever’s next.

This guy made it to the dance with a team of college kids who couldnt **** or even drink a cup of tea ffs. I am sure he will do well with kids who get to actually act like kids.

Reactions: mcnicKY91
Yep, I am in the same boat. He has a great basketball mind, is a UK guy, and knows how to coach.

Will be interesting to see how well he can recruit now with UKs resources...

If it doesn't work, as you alluded to, UK can move on to who is next.

Reactions: Random UK Fan

Haha wow! Mark Madsen already quick to point out he's not interested in the BYU job. I honestly don't know who they could hire, in terms of a notable name, outside of Chris Burgess.

• Wow
Reactions: KisteK
Obviously everyone wants Reed Sheppard back. I don't know if that's realistic for a projected top 10 pick.

Who else would Kentucky fans like to see return?

Obviously everyone wants Reed Sheppard back. I don't know if that's realistic for a projected top 10 pick.

Who else would Kentucky fans like to see return?

Sheppard
Big Z
Adou
Burks

In that order. The rest? Blah. FYI I don't think any are coming back, but Pope should show Z his offensive tape where everyone is spaced bombing threes and he would be a great fit.

Still want Cal gone. No question.
The issue with Pope is, it's 10 years too soon, there were better options, but, unlike Calipari, Pope is going to coach for the name on the front of the jersey and he very well could be a better bench coach, which isn’t saying much.
10 years too soon? He’s not going to be ready until he’s 61?

I absolutely love this hire and I’m excited as hell. I get rival fans wanna point and laugh and that’s fine, I laughed at UNc and Duke when they hired their coach but I think Pope brings an excitement back to UK and I can tell you he will put the name KENTUCKY above all else. His offense is up and down the floor and throwing up the three ball so put me the Pope camp. I can’t wait to see him get it rolling in Lexington.

I absolutely love this hire and I’m excited as hell. I get rival fans wanna point and laugh and that’s fine, I laughed at UNc and Duke when they hired their coach but I think Pope brings an excitement back to UK and I can tell you he will put the name KENTUCKY above all else. His offense is up and down the floor and throwing up the three ball so put me the Pope camp. I can’t wait to see him get it rolling in Lexington.
UK vs Alabama might have a 250 point over next season.

He was a Rhodes scholar. Odd he’d end up in coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT