ADVERTISEMENT

***Transfer Thread***

Yep, nowadays you better keep your freshman very happy or else you can kiss em good bye that spring.

Guarantee we see some big name coaches retire early as a result. No one in their right mind should have to cater to some dumb 18 year old.

Fully expect Bennett to hang it up pretty soon. Maybe 4-5 years more max.

yaaay-saturday-night-live.gif

I mean, Doug Wojcik has clout in his own right. He played alongside David Robinson at Navy, where they advanced to the Elite Eight. He was the head coach at Tulsa and Charleston. He's currently an assistant at Michigan State. Honestly, kind of surprising Izzo and Sparty didn't try to reach out to him.

Guarantee we see some big name coaches retire early as a result. No one in their right mind should have to cater to some dumb 18 year old.

I believe that's why Roy Williams and Jay Wright stepped down. Probably didn't help Coach K or Boeheim, either.

I think NIL is tough for coaches that are struggling with the shift in power dynamics. It's becoming much more similar to the NBA. I think that was one of the great appeals for coaches in the college ranks; it's your program and you get to call ALL the shots. Now, as you say, you have to cater to some degree to the wishes of teenagers.

Would have been hilarious to see Bobby Knight deal with the egos of players/recruits and their NIL money.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
I believe that's why Roy Williams and Jay Wright stepped down. Probably didn't help Coach K or Boeheim, either.

I think NIL is tough for coaches that are struggling with the shift in power dynamics. It's becoming much more similar to the NBA. I think that was one of the great appeals for coaches in the college ranks; it's your program and you get to call ALL the shots. Now, as you say, you have to cater to some degree to the wishes of teenagers.

Would have been hilarious to see Bobby Knight deal with the egos of players/recruits and their NIL money.

the combo of NIL + no longer having to sit out a year when you transfer = the death of college hoops.

It should've been one or the other. having both gives way too much power to the kids.

@dukedevilz how smart does Jay Wright look now? Seemed odd when he retired in his prime, but now he gets to do cushy TV job and he no longer has to deal with the malcontents like Javon Quinerly anymore.

Going out with style, that's for sure. He only had to do the NIL thing for 1 year, and I think that was enough for him. Call it quits at age 60 - sit back in a cushy seat job and still get paid handsomely. Yeah, he's definitely doing this the right way.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
As a DePaul fan you should embrace any landscape change.
you would think so, but I doubt this new landscape helps DePaul. In fact I'm sure it will hurt DePaul. We already lost David Jones last year. I imagine anyone who plays well for us will use us as a stepping stone.

and I doubt the transfers we pick up will be as good as anyone we lose.

you would think so, but I doubt this new landscape helps DePaul. In fact I'm sure it will hurt DePaul. We already lost David Jones last year. I imagine anyone who plays well for us will use us as a stepping stone.

and I doubt the transfers we pick up will be as good as anyone we lose.
I hear you. But if you guys could get something going on NIL you never know. Is there a former player you guys could hire to get some buzz?

I hear you. But if you guys could get something going on NIL you never know. Is there a former player you guys could hire to get some buzz?
You would think there was some NIL money in Chicago for DePaul players, but I could be wrong. Interest in the team could be so far down that even the rich alum are like screw it.

Only former player who would generate buzz would be Rod Strickland, but I doubt he lowers himself to coaching DePaul.

UNC's 2024 lineup, as of now. Obviously UNC will add more transfers. Probably need to add at least two more wings and two more bigs. With 8 scholarship players leaving the program, there will be a lot of new faces next year.

Starters
RJ Davis, 6'0 Sr
Paxson Wojcik, 6'4 Gr
D'Marco Dunn, 6'5 Jr
Jalen Washington, 6'10 So
Armando Bacot, 6'10 Gr

Bench
Seth Trimble, 6'3 So
Simeon Wilcher, 6'4 Fr
Zayden High, 6'9 Fr

Players Lost...

Eligibility exhausted (2):
Leaky Black, Pete Nance

Transferring (6):
Caleb Love, Puff Johnson, Dontrez Styles, Tyler Nickel, Justin McKoy, Will Shaver

If Flip doesn't come back, which I don't think he will, this is a solid backup plan.

Tyrese Proctor
Jared McCain/Caleb Foster
Mark Mitchell
Mackenzie Mgbako
DaRon Holmes

That looks like a legit top 5 team, IMO.

• Sad
Reactions: jhmossy
MJ Rice (Kansas) and Posh Alexander (St. John's) are now in the portal. I would have thought Posh would have been perfect for Pitino's system. Guess he just wants a fresh start.

Also, a slightly under-the-radar transfer pickup might be Austin Nunez of Arizona State. He's quick af. Shot selection is pretty good. If he continues to develop, I think he's good enough to start for some P6 teams come November.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Also, a slightly under-the-radar transfer pickup might be Austin Nunez of Arizona State. He's quick af. Shot selection is pretty good. If he continues to develop, I think he's good enough to start for some P6 teams come November.

At least 1 Arizona State fan appears to be devastated lol. Nunez is a fun player to watch, though. Like his game a lot.

FsaWnWUaQAAbp3x

This is a big-time transfer. Is there anyone currently in the portal that has more value than Jalen Cook? Doubt it. 2x 1st Team All-Conference in the AAC; averaged 20 ppg and 5 assists, 3 rebounds, 2 steals.

He's going to have a very long list of suitors.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
FsaWnWUaQAAbp3x

This is a big-time transfer. Is there anyone currently in the portal that has more value than Jalen Cook? Doubt it. 2x 1st Team All-Conference in the AAC; averaged 20 ppg and 5 assists, 3 rebounds, 2 steals.

He's going to have a very long list of suitors.

The shocking part is that he's 2x 1st team all AAC, both at the same school not named Houston or Memphis. He's a true unicorn in that he actually stuck around and came back and played for his team rather than hit the portal last year.

Transfer portal madness isn't slowing down. Over 1,100 names already. I bet we see close to 2,000 names before it's all said and done. Should have some more quality players enter the portal in the next month or so.

Edit: Whoa! Just saw Taran Armstrong on that top 30 list. Love his game. One of the most electric guards in all of college basketball. I really, really want to see him find a home with a P6 program.

Kario Oquendo, too! One of my favorite players this season. Arguably the best athlete in all of college basketball.

The shocking part is that he's 2x 1st team all AAC, both at the same school not named Houston or Memphis. He's a true unicorn in that he actually stuck around and came back and played for his team rather than hit the portal last year.

Tulane brought back a lot of guys this year. I actually thought in the preseason that they had a decent shot of making the tournament. Finished 3rd in the AAC, beat Memphis twice, but their OOC play was unbelievably underwhelming.

Can't blame him for leaving. Gotta imagine he ends up in the Big 12 or SEC. He needs a much bigger stage.

FSU's Caleb Mills has gone portaling.

@GE Nole Does Mills have Caleb Love-type vibes? Super talented, but perhaps a net loss for a team's chemistry/cohesiveness?

Reactions: jhmossy
FSU's Caleb Mills has gone portaling.

@GE Nole Does Mills have Caleb Love-type vibes? Super talented, but perhaps a net loss for a team's chemistry/cohesiveness?

Yes. I have wanted him gone all season. This transfer is mutual parting of ways and I would be shocked if Naheem McLeod isn’t joining him soon.

Caleb is a good kid. He graduated, which is awesome. And he’s got some very nice skills. But he was an atrocious fit for our style and our roster.

Yes. I have wanted him gone all season. This transfer is mutual parting of ways and I would be shocked if Naheem McLeod isn’t joining him soon.

Caleb is a good kid. He graduated, which is awesome. And he’s got some very nice skills. But he was an atrocious fit for our style and our roster.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up at NC State to replace Terquavian.

Kind of felt like he was the lead candidate for the dysfunction in FSU's performance this year. Great offensive threat, but I know he can also be very ball dominant.

Would be hilarious, absolutely hilarious if he ended up at UNC to ultimately be Caleb Love's replacement. But, NC State probably makes more sense.

Kind of felt like he was the lead candidate for the dysfunction in FSU's performance this year. Great offensive threat, but I know he can also be very ball dominant.

Would be hilarious, absolutely hilarious if he ended up at UNC to ultimately be Caleb Love's replacement. But, NC State probably makes more sense.

Waaaaayyyy too ball dominant. FSU’s staff tracks passes. In games Mills missed or had foul trouble we typically hit our goal. In games he played normal minutes we did not. There were multiple occasions of him being yanked from games after a coach was screaming from the bench to stop dribbling and move the ball. And even worse, he would dribble into trouble and jump with no plan.

Problem was, we had so many injuries that he often had to play anyway. Once Chandler Jackson started getting healthier, Mills was moved off ball more and he actually started to get a bit more efficient late in the season. But too little too late.

Also didn’t help that he went from shooting 35% on 85 attempts from 3 last year to 29% on 102 attempts this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT