ADVERTISEMENT

Portal thread?

Here are some more international kids that could be committing soon. Diagne, of course, already committed to Gonzaga. And I believe Mitar will be committing to Xavier soon.

Dame Sarr and Noa Essengue are projected 1st Rounders. And Nolan Traore is arguably the cream of the crop. I've seen him as high as #2 on draft boards.

Don't think Hugo Gonzalez will be playing in college. I read that his buyout was $1.2 million. He'll likely be playing for the senior Real Madrid squad next season.

Hearing that Robinson is now leaning toward pulling out of the draft.

We might soon find out which "insiders" were right after all.

Looks like y'all went to the well one too many times.
The Princess Bride Boo GIF by filmeditor

Hearing that Robinson is now leaning toward pulling out of the draft.

We might soon find out which "insiders" were right after all.

I would guess the likelihood is something like this:
1. Kentucky (50-60%)
2. Kansas (30-40%)
3. BYU (10%)

Thought this was pretty interesting. I have a friend who is very well connected to the top HS players in the country. This is what he had to say about the new college basketball landscape.

The new formula is go to a non top-25 team. Play a couple years. Be the man. Then go to a giant program for the next couple years and bring in like a mil a year. Then you dont even need to go pro early unless you are first rounder.

Or be a one and done’er, who doesn’t have to produce anyway, just don't get hurt. Thats the top10 guys.

The portal changed it all. Those years are huge for development. So a junior who has played two years in college can step in and get more minutes than almost any freshman who isn’t a five star guy.

The big teams want a junior guard like aiden maheny, who started and played significant minutes at st mary’s. Guys like that can step in on a championship level team instantly. No development necessary.
The win now programs have essentially made it so freshman are nearly useless.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
As most were expecting. Solid pickup. UK definitely needed another scorer.

Any idea on where Coleman Hawkins might land?
He's said he doesn't want to play in the B1G or Big East because he thinks they are too physical. I think the B12 and SEC are just as physical now. I could see him in the ACC. A lot of soft teams in the ACC.

I mean, if they're willing to pay 2 mil for Egor Demin, who's to say what they'll pay for Dybansta?

I've seen a couple of projections that Kentucky will be a top 25 team this year but I don't expect that think they will be a team that is on the bubble or 9-10 seed in the tournament. Nothing wrong with that as it's Pope's first year but that is what I'm seeing as of now

I've seen a couple of projections that Kentucky will be a top 25 team this year but I don't expect that think they will be a team that is on the bubble or 9-10 seed in the tournament. Nothing wrong with that as it's Pope's first year but that is what I'm seeing as of now
That's a pretty good biased ranking.

@dukedevilz has us top 20. I'm guessing somewhere in the middle.

Reactions: ABVolsFan92
He's said he doesn't want to play in the B1G or Big East because he thinks they are too physical. I think the B12 and SEC are just as physical now. I could see him in the ACC. A lot of soft teams in the ACC.
Whoa, he actually SAID that?

Da fuk.

That's a pretty good biased ranking.

@dukedevilz has us top 20. I'm guessing somewhere in the middle.
if Pope turns out to be the next Nate Oats yall could legit be in the mix

You're selling Kentucky and Pope short here a bit. He brought over BYU's 2 best assets (Robinson and Chandler), he's got 2 Defensive CPOYs coming (Butler and A.Williams), he's got the 2nd best player from two different top 50 teams (Carr and Oweh), he's got the best shooter in America (Brea) and another very elite shooter (Kriisa), and then you have a talented big that has NBA potential (Garrison).

He had 1 top 100 recruit at BYU last year. Just one. Pope ran some of the best offensive actions in the country last year. Look at the film; he ran 5-Out offense that was very similar to what Nate Oats ran. High-volume three-point shooting team, great passing, always looking for back-door cutters. They were hard to guard. He's going to have much more talented players this season. BYU had an advantage last year, and that was continuity. Most of those guys played together for 2+ years. This Kentucky team will have to learn on the fly, and learn different roles. Buying into the program before self - and accepting role positions might be Pope's biggest challenge.

I don't see Kentucky as a title contender, but I would say they're much more likely to be a 3 or 4 seed than a bubble team.

You're selling Kentucky and Pope short here a bit. He brought over BYU's 2 best assets (Robinson and Chandler), he's got 2 Defensive CPOYs coming (Butler and A.Williams), he's got the 2nd best player from two different top 50 teams (Carr and Oweh), he's got the best shooter in America (Brea) and another very elite shooter (Kriisa), and then you have a talented big that has NBA potential (Garrison).

He had 1 top 100 recruit at BYU last year. Just one. Pope ran some of the best offensive actions in the country last year. Look at the film; he ran 5-Out offense that was very similar to what Nate Oats ran. High-volume three-point shooting team, great passing, always looking for back-door cutters. They were hard to guard. He's going to have much more talented players this season. BYU had an advantage last year, and that was continuity. Most of those guys played together for 2+ years. This Kentucky team will have to learn on the fly, and learn different roles. Buying into the program before self - and accepting role positions might be Pope's biggest challenge.

I don't see Kentucky as a title contender, but I would say they're much more likely to be a 3 or 4 seed than a bubble team.

Great post. I'm talking best case scenario, but SDSU runs an ugly offense. The bet is Butler takes a real step forward offensively away from them along with Kriisa looking more like he did at Arizona, not the shit show at WVU. I'm not super high on this team because the SEC is brutal and Pope has never dealt with all the ego's/expectations, but if Robinson and/or someone else breaks out and becomes the star along with having elite shooting at all 5 spots, I could buy in pretty easily...

Reactions: dukedevilz
WTF are you crowing about? I never even made a prediction about it. 🤣
BULLSHIT. You said multiple times you "were hearing he was going to KU". Just like Julius Randle was going to KU too, I guess. 🤣

"Hearing that Jaxson Robinson is either KU or the NBA. That would be a nice cherry on top."

"If Robinson pulls out of the draft, I think he’s going to KU. Several insiders feel pretty strongly about it. Unfortunately, it sounds like he’s leaning toward staying in the draft."

"That was posted a few days back, and the writer has zero credibility based on this alone:

There isn’t anyone that believes any schools other than Kentucky and BYU have a shot at landing Robinson, but there does seem to be a consensus about what will happen if he chooses to return to the college ranks.

I don't know what he'll end up doing, but that's just blatantly false."

Last edited:
Reactions: kyjeff1 and TKBray
BULLSHIT. You said multiple times you "were hearing he was going to KU". Just like Julius Randle was going to KU too, I guess. 🤣

"Hearing that Jaxson Robinson is either KU or the NBA. That would be a nice cherry on top."

"If Robinson pulls out of the draft, I think he’s going to KU. Several insiders feel pretty strongly about it. Unfortunately, it sounds like he’s leaning toward staying in the draft."

"That was posted a few days back, and the writer has zero credibility based on this alone:

There isn’t anyone that believes any schools other than Kentucky and BYU have a shot at landing Robinson, but there does seem to be a consensus about what will happen if he chooses to return to the college ranks.

I don't know what he'll end up doing, but that's just blatantly false."

From your own quote, the last thing I posted about it was “I don’t know what he’ll end up doing.”

Btw, you understand this stuff is fluid and changes constantly, right? Some insiders thought KU was in good standing there at one point, and I just passed on what I heard. The fact that he ultimately committed to Kentucky doesn't disprove anything they said.

• Haha
Reactions: kyjeff1
From your own quote, the last thing I posted about it was “I don’t know what he’ll end up doing.”

Btw, you understand this stuff is fluid and changes constantly, right? Some insiders thought KU was in good standing there at one point, and I just passed on what I heard. The fact that he ultimately committed to Kentucky doesn't disprove anything they said.
You passed on what you heard 3 times....

Reactions: treyforuk
ADVERTISEMENT