ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G In-Season Thread****

What our mod had to say about Xavier Booker

“Firstly, he takes a lot of empty, false steps. He has a habit of hopping straight up 6 inches when it's time to change direction, when he should be making a stride somewhere. So his first problem is he is late and beaten to spots repeatedly. Very casual. Getting him to play hard, with more urgency, is going to be a multi-year process.

His on-ball defense was ... not good, to be diplomatic. He has big, big problems there if he truly wants to be a four.

KLucas refers to him as a big man earlier in this thread, but Booker doesn't play a big man's game. He doesn't post up. So this isn't a case of a big man posting up and people not feeding him the ball.

I double down on what Paul K and I said during the summer. It's not Booker's fault that someone ranked him the No. 1 player in the nation. Michigan State fans need to erase that ranking from their memory bank and have patience with him.”

Going to be interest to follow. Hopefully he’s the kind of kid who doesn’t bolt after he isn’t an all big ten player first year. Just wanted to give an update on how the fanbases sees him, trust me, the knowledgeable ones in the fan base have tempered expectations.
He’ll be gone after his first year no matter how he plays as a freshman, he’s on that Max Christie path except a higher NBA ceiling.

Meaning even with a mediocre year, he could still be a lottery guy

Reactions: MGC_07
What our mod had to say about Xavier Booker

“Firstly, he takes a lot of empty, false steps. He has a habit of hopping straight up 6 inches when it's time to change direction, when he should be making a stride somewhere. So his first problem is he is late and beaten to spots repeatedly. Very casual. Getting him to play hard, with more urgency, is going to be a multi-year process.

His on-ball defense was ... not good, to be diplomatic. He has big, big problems there if he truly wants to be a four.

KLucas refers to him as a big man earlier in this thread, but Booker doesn't play a big man's game. He doesn't post up. So this isn't a case of a big man posting up and people not feeding him the ball.

I double down on what Paul K and I said during the summer. It's not Booker's fault that someone ranked him the No. 1 player in the nation. Michigan State fans need to erase that ranking from their memory bank and have patience with him.”

Going to be interest to follow. Hopefully he’s the kind of kid who doesn’t bolt after he isn’t an all big ten player first year. Just wanted to give an update on how the fanbases sees him, trust me, the knowledgeable ones in the fan base have tempered expectations.
Kanon Catchings is who the evaluators want Booker to be. Catchings will end up the much better player.

Kanon Catchings is who the evaluators want Booker to be. Catchings will end up the much better player.
They play different positions. Different players.

Not doubting Catchings will end up being a better college player especially if he sticks around to be an upperclassman, but not an apples to apples comparison position and play style wise.

Reactions: B1G_Fan
Lol at comparing us to you guys right now.

We are coming off back to back double digit wins.

You just got railed by 20 and have 1 win total. A home win vs Nebraska.
You lost TWO key players.

2-3 in the Big 10----one of those is Nebraska. Lost by 15 at home to PSU.....13 @ NW. Your other win is at home vs Wisconsin, who is w.o Wahl.

So congrats on being one game better?

They play different positions. Different players.

Not doubting Catchings will end up being a better college player especially if he sticks around to be an upperclassman, but not an apples to apples comparison position and play style wise.
Both are tall players that project to be more perimeter oriented. Booker got ranked high because there were projections for him to be versatile with shooting and perimeter skills at his height. Catchings is now 6”8 and is growing with a silky smooth shot (40%+ 3%) and excellent handles for his size and is already dominating. He is a 1-2 yr college player tops IMO.

You lost TWO key players.

2-3 in the Big 10----one of those is Nebraska. Lost by 15 at home to PSU.....13 @ NW. Your other win is at home vs Wisconsin, who is w.o Wahl.

So congrats on being one game better?
Since we are in the same boat, feel free to put down your predictions for Illinois and Indiana’s conference records at the end of the season.

btw-remember when Nebraska was a juggernaut at home because of their win over Creighton and taking Purdue to OT.

Apparently that’s changed now that Illinois beat them by 26 at home lol

Since we are in the same boat, feel free to put down your predictions for Illinois and Indiana’s conference records at the end of the season.

btw-remember when Nebraska was a juggernaut at home because of their win over Creighton and taking Purdue to OT.

Apparently that’s changed now that Illinois beat them by 26 at home lol
Who said NB was a juggernaut?

Never said, "same boat"---Said things were bad for both. Illinois has 2 wins----1 of those is Nebraska.

Illinois is missing Mayer and Clark is gone. IU has lost two , Senior starters.

Is Nebraska bad or good? You make light of IU's win over them,then complain about others making light of them.

Illinois probably ends up with a better conference record. That doesn't make what I said not true.

Never said, "same boat"---Said things were bad for both. Illinois has 2 wins----1 of those is Nebraska.

Is Nebraska bad or good? You make light of IU's win over them,then complain about others making light of them.

Illinois probably ends up with a better conference record. That doesn't make what I said not true.
Mayer has been playing

Mayer is playing thru his injury.

And Nebraska sucks, but we still beat them by 26 on the road. You beat them by less, while fully healthy at home.

And also, since Wisconsin was such an easy win, you guys should have a win locked up on Saturday. Don’t let us down

Does Silly Season start tonight??

@Deathclutch
Trying to figure out who I want to win. An OSU loss is good for the standings but given we've already won at their house, I feel good about finishing in front of them in the standings. On the flip side, it would be a bad loss and we probably want to keep those Q1/Q2 wins to a maximum and OSU might slip if they lose this game and end up midpack.

Trying to figure out who I want to win. An OSU loss is good for the standings but given we've already won at their house, I feel good about finishing in front of them in the standings. On the flip side, it would be a bad loss and we probably want to keep those Q1/Q2 wins to a maximum and OSU might slip if they lose this game and end up midpack.
They’ll probably still win this one, but this will be a rough loss for Ohio St if they can’t come back. At home too makes it worse

Feel like if Sensabaugh doesn’t go pro, they’ll be one of the contenders next year.

Just don’t see it this year barring them getting red hot to end the year
I'll be shocked if he doesn't go pro. He's a better NBA prospect than Malachi Branham IMO.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't go pro. He's a better NBA prospect than Malachi Branham IMO.
I’d agree his game seems like it’s made for the NBA, but you never know.

Haven’t seen him on many mocks so far

Nvm, see he starting to climb into the 20’s on some this week

Last edited:
Fun game. Feel like Minnesota started trying to just hold on way too early.

This officiating has cost us this game
a-league-of-their-own-tom-hanks.gif

ADVERTISEMENT