ADVERTISEMENT

Who to UK?

I love how the narrative of the coaching search is changing every 2 hours. "Oats is the most likely candidate; his personality and style of offense is a perfect fit. Drew is traveling to Lexington. Drew posts picture of himself in Waco. Several coaches publicly state they're not interested. Pearl next most likely candidate. Cats have to wait til the Bulls season is over to offer Donovan. UK might have to settle for a second-tier coach. Hurley offered 100 mil."

This has been one of the most entertaining job openings ever.

5 stars are getting it done though. Maybe Cal just simply can't coach anymore.

UK literally just had Stephon Castle on their team as a 5 star freshman and he might've been their best player after Clingan in this championship run.

Jared McCain, a 5 star freshman, ended up being Duke's best player in the tournament.

You can't have teams that are all freshmen but who's doing that anymore? UK had super senior Antonio Reeves and Adou Thiero on your roster.

You need a combo of talent + roster that fits well + coaching + luck to win a title.
You misunderstand, Cal is trying to win with rosters that are made up of mostly freshmen.
The guys you mentioned, were single pieces around teams full of veteran players. Big difference.

The one time Cal tried to go with Portal players, he had 5' 9" Sahvir Wheeler running PG knowing Tyty Washington was the best bet for that spot. The guy is a mess.

Did Mitch Barnhart inform Scott Drew that the University of Kentucky is only a 50 minute drive from the Ark Encounter in Williamston? That could have sealed the deal.

20-05-ark-hero-open-graph.jpg
I live 5 minutes from that thing, never been over to see it.
We’re getting so much rain right now, I might need to go find a nice window seat.

Reactions: tw3301
The funds will mostly come from state and donors, so I doubt it will have much impact on UConn’s athletic dept. With this being said, if it does reach 12-13 mil a year, it may not be unreasonable for UConn to move on from Dan Hurley to Luke Murray. The latter is said to be the architect of their offense, and he will probably need only 1-2 mil a year.
UConn doesn't have deep pockets was my point.

I love how the narrative of the coaching search is changing every 2 hours. "Oats is the most likely candidate; his personality and style of offense is a perfect fit. Drew is traveling to Lexington. Drew posts picture of himself in Waco. Several coaches publicly state they're not interested. Pearl next most likely candidate. Cats have to wait til the Bulls season is over to offer Donovan. UK might have to settle for a second-tier coach. Hurley offered 100 mil."

This has been one of the most entertaining job openings ever.
Drew's family was in Lexington yesterday.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Then I trust it even less, dudes an idiot.
Well unfortunately it looks like Dan Hurley to UK is a lock at this moment, with official announcement after the championship parade. Though if you are a UConn fan there’s no need to panic, the team has won with Calhoun, Ollie and Hurley. They can win with someone else, just need to find the right guy for the job.

• Haha
Reactions: Erock-conn
Keep saying this with no actual proof champ. And if he leaves, I wish him luck. But your little act is growing tiring at this point, because you literally know **** all more than anyone else.
Yeah, I’m remiss to believe anything right now. It keeps it interesting to say the least.

Reactions: Deepelm
Good. Best news Kentucky's gotten since we found out Cal was leaving...at no charge nonetheless. Drew was our AD's #1 choice - not the boosters or the fans. Now with that out of the way Kentucky can really get to work.

This is the best off-season we've had in years.
Drew is criminally underrated as a coach.

On a side note, whom should UConn hire after Dan Hurley leaves for UK? I heard that Luke Murray was the architect of their offense, so they may as well promote him from assistant to head coach.
2/10. Not bad really. Hurley is going nowhere.

I don't see the search going as bad as others seem to think. Nobody knows what Barnhart is thinking/plan is, but everyone wanted him to start with the people everyone knew would say no.

The list everyone knew would say no but you have to ask:
Jay Wright
Hurley
Donovan

Next Tier
Oates
Drew

Then there is a bunch of names. I dont think the majority wanted Drew, but most just expected it due to his relationship with barnhart.

I don't see the search going as bad as others seem to think. Nobody knows what Barnhart is thinking/plan is, but everyone wanted him to start with the people everyone knew would say no.

The list everyone knew would say no but you have to ask:
Jay Wright
Hurley
Donovan

Next Tier
Oates
Drew

Then there is a bunch of names. I dont think the majority wanted Drew, but most just expected it due to his relationship with barnhart.
Still plenty of bullets left. Misfire a few more times and it gets interesting though. 😬

Reactions: I am stupid
With all respect to Drew I’m glad he isn’t leading Kentucky. Terrific coach but just not my top choice. We all know Hurley would be the first choice (no way he comes) but after that I want Billy D, Pearl or Ricky P (why the hell not)😂

Dang twitter saying Hurley gave an official no.

Do you really want Donovon? He hasn’t coached kids in years and would be so new to the portal and NIL.

I think Beard/Pearl says yes before the question comes out

Dang twitter saying Hurley gave an official no.

Do you really want Donovon? He hasn’t coached kids in years and would be so new to the portal and NIL.

I think Beard/Pearl says yes before the question comes out
Don’t want Donovan or Pearl.

ADVERTISEMENT