ADVERTISEMENT

Who to UK?

I think he does change----and here is why:

He doesn't THAT stage anymore----That stage being, UK. I think Cal's ego, combined with UK's stature, was a great mix, that became a very bad mix.

All that changes now. ARK will be the talk of CBB.....and of course , Cal. And IMO Cal is gonna be like---"Ok, wanted me gone---fine...I'm gonna fukin show you."----It wont be about draft picks now. It'll be about showing CBB, mostly UK, "hey muther****ers….watch this."

Ya'll wanted swaggy Cal, back. Oh you gonna get that----But it'll from Fayetteville. Not Lexington. Ya'll mutherfukers just woke up a monster.
I don't think he's capable. He doesn't have great bench coaching in his bag and that’s what it takes now.

The biggest kicker is, he told everyone during his introductory press conference that he is players first. That’s his biggest issue. If he's not willing to drop that, he will never win big. He’s going to attract kids that are coming there to leave and if they don't get what they want, what is he going to do when they pout? It’s players first. We have seen it first hand for a long time.

I think he does change----and here is why:

He doesn't THAT stage anymore----That stage being, UK. I think Cal's ego, combined with UK's stature, was a great mix, that became a very bad mix.

All that changes now. ARK will be the talk of CBB.....and of course , Cal. And IMO Cal is gonna be like---"Ok, wanted me gone---fine...I'm gonna fukin show you."----It wont be about draft picks now. It'll be about showing CBB, mostly UK, "hey muther****ers….watch this."

Ya'll wanted swaggy Cal, back. Oh you gonna get that----But it'll from Fayetteville. Not Lexington. Ya'll mutherfukers just woke up a monster.
lol...no.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I don't know if they actually reached out to Oats or not, but he'd be my first choice at this time if Hurley is not an option. After that, It should be Pearl imo. Kinda irritates me that so many UK fans have a major problem with him. He is older than I like, but I think he would do well. I think Drew would be a step up from Cal as well.

Last edited:
I don't know if they actually reached out to Oats or not, but he'd be my first choice at this time if Hurley is not an option. After that, It should be Pearl imo. Kinda irritates me that so many UK fans have a major problem with him. He is older than I like, but I think he would do well. I think Drew would be a step up from Cal as well.
Oats was the first choice but UK wasn't willing to pay the full buyout and Alabama wasn't going to budge because why would they? "Sure, we'll take less money so you can steal our coach." 😂 Barnhart never got past the AD, didn't even talk to Oats.

Just saying....why would you be underwhelmed by a coach who's accomplished more than any other hire?
What I'm reading on RR. A lot of fans are qualifying his title at Baylor by pointing out that it came during the covid year. Implying that it wasn't as impressive. Which may be true. Drew doesn't have quite the resume UK fans of old prefer. But in the day of the transfer portal and NIL, things have changed a lot in college bb. It appears coaches are not breaking down our doors like they used to. Being a good recruiter is no longer as important as it used to be. We can now build through free agency via the portal. In today's game, more than before, the cream of the coaching crop will come to the top due to talent parity. That's my theory anyway, and I'm sss..ttt.iicckin to it.

Last edited:
What I'm reading on RR. A lot of fans are qualifying his title at Baylor by pointing out that it came during the covid year. Implying that it wasn't as impressive. Which may be true. Drew doesn't have quite the resume UK fans of old prefer. But in the day of the transfer portal and NIL, things have changed a lot in college bb. It appears coaches are not breaking down our doors like they used to. Being a good recruiter is no longer as important as it used to be. We can now build through free agency via the portal. In today's game, more than before, the cream of the coaching crop will come to the top due to talent parity. That's my theory anyway, and I'm sss..ttt.iicckin to it.

One thing you have to understand about Drew is that he’s been a different coach the last 5 years. He changed up his defensive schemes and dropped the zone, and it made a big difference. His teams have been top 10ish every year since, with three top 5 teams in a row from ‘20 through ‘22. In 2020, his team was right there with KU and would have been a 1 seed. The next year, they won it all in dominant fashion.

People say that he hasn’t been great in the tourney the last few years. Well, yeah, nobody goes deep every year. Hurley hadn’t gotten past the first round at UConn til a season ago. Anybody holding that against him?

Two years ago, Drew lost in OT (without one of his best players) to an underseeded UNC team that almost won it all. A year ago he lost to a good Creighton team, and this year he lost to a hot Clemson team without one of his best guards again. It’s not like he’s been face planting in the first round.

If he can consistently pump out top 10 teams at Baylor, what can he do at Kentucky? But judging by how many are crapping on Drew, I’m not sure the fans deserve it. People don’t seem to realize that he’d be the most accomplished coach they’ve ever hired.

One thing you have to understand about Drew is that he’s been a different coach the last 5 years. He changed up his defensive schemes and dropped the zone, and it made a big difference. His teams have been top 10ish every year since, with three top 5 teams in a row from ‘20 through ‘22. In 2020, his team was right there with KU and would have been a 1 seed. The next year, they won it all in dominant fashion.

People say that he hasn’t been great in the tourney the last few years. Well, yeah, nobody goes deep every year. Hurley hadn’t gotten past the first round at UConn til a season ago. Anybody holding that against him?

Two years ago, Drew lost in OT (without one of his best players) to an underseeded UNC team that almost won it all. A year ago he lost to a good Creighton team, and this year he lost to a hot Clemson team without one of his best guards again. It’s not like he’s been face planting in the first round.

If he can consistently pump out top 10 teams at Baylor, what can he do at Kentucky? But judging by how many are crapping on Drew, I’m not sure the fans deserve it. People don’t seem to realize that he’d be the most accomplished coach they’ve ever hired.
Yeah, he started running a version of the no middle defense. Made all the difference in the world.

I think he’d be an excellent hire.

Or.....get drunk and dive in the Merrick Inn pool!! 🤣

I believe he will be fine at UK. But how patient will the fanbase be?
The BBN gets a bad wrap, but like I said in another thread, Alabama fans were critisizing Nick Saban in 2021 for not beating SEC teams by enough points. Alabama went to the playoffs AGAIN that year.
They attacked him again in 2023, but nobody says crap about that.
UK fans are getting looked down on for being up in arms because "they dared to critisize and attack a HOF coach".
Well, first of all, Cal deserved to get critisized. He refused to adapt to modern day college basketball, he played favorites, he allowed the Sharpe, Boston and Wheeler situations to happen, he created a culture that was based on individual accomplishments, he refused to play his best lineups and he was more concerned with getting kids drafted than winning at UK.
Also, he now has the worst season in UK history and the 2 worst NCAAT losses in UK's history and he did all that with future NBA talent, then used youth as an excuse.
Cal is not getting critisized for losing, he’s getting critisized for the reasons why he lost all those games. He also isolated himself from the boosters, the AD, the president and the fans. Any fanbase that cares, is going to get pissed. I mean, the fans did their part every year and every game. The BBN packs the stands and supported every one of his teams, but that didn’t stop Cal from attacking the fans constantly.

As far as being patient with the new coach, if he coaches for the name on the front of the jersey and coaches hard, he will have the BBN in his corner.

You don't get support when you shit on the program and the program suffers and loses, then you have the balls to tell us we should be thankful for all those NBA contracts.

There's some substance there, if you're willing and able to chew the meat and spit out the bones. But there's a reason I migrated here. lol
The issue isn't RR though, it's UK's local media. It’s trash. They put out any rumor they hear without vetting what they heard. It’s at the point where if you hear something from those guys, expect the opposite to happen.

Reactions: Anthony B
The BBN gets a bad wrap, but like I said in another thread, Alabama fans were critisizing Nick Saban in 2021 for not beating SEC teams by enough points. Alabama went to the playoffs AGAIN that year.
They attacked him again in 2023, but nobody says crap about that.
UK fans are getting looked down on for being up in arms because "they dared to critisize and attack a HOF coach".
Well, first of all, Cal deserved to get critisized. He refused to adapt to modern day college basketball, he played favorites, he allowed the Sharpe, Boston and Wheeler situations to happen, he created a culture that was based on individual accomplishments, he refused to play his best lineups and he was more concerned with getting kids drafted than winning at UK.
Also, he now has the worst season in UK history and the 2 worst NCAAT losses in UK's history and he did all that with future NBA talent, then used youth as an excuse.
Cal is not getting critisized for losing, he’s getting critisized for the reasons why he lost all those games. He also isolated himself from the boosters, the AD, the president and the fans. Any fanbase that cares, is going to get pissed. I mean, the fans did their part every year and every game. The BBN packs the stands and supported every one of his teams, but that didn’t stop Cal from attacking the fans constantly.

As far as being patient with the new coach, if he coaches for the name on the front of the jersey and coaches hard, he will have the BBN in his corner.

You don't get support when you shit on the program and the program suffers and loses, then you have the balls to tell us we should be thankful for all those NBA contracts.
Au Contraire, mon frere. I have said plenty about the filthy bammers.

Barnes is 20-9 against Scott Drew.
After winning the first 13 vs Drew (during that massive rebuild), Scott then went 9-6 vs Rick and ran "big brother" out the B12...
It happens.

Promises, Rick wants no part of Scott with a Kentucky-sized backing.
UK can always fall back on;

Mark Pope
Sean Miller
The lepercaun
Abdur-Rahim’
Fred Hoiberg
Otzelberger
You stay tf away from Hoiberg...
Mick Cronin.
😭⚰️ Bruh, I totes thought you were teasing Izzo 😂😂😭

• Haha
Reactions: lurkeraspect84

That is a good synopsis.

I would be ecstatic if UK hired Drew. What he has done at Baylor, of all places, is remarkable.

So many UK fans are discounting Baylor's championship run in 2021 because of Covid, but then conveniently leave out that Baylor was 1A to Kansas' 1 the year prior. Then in 2022 they again were a 1 seed with one of their best players out, and lost in OT to the national runner up.

If he decides he wants to come and deal with the pressure and insatiable fanbase that is BBN (I never would want to), I would welcome him with open arms.

Has UK even reached out to Billy Donovan yet? Seems like he’d be a good choice.

I like Drew but I’m not mad about this. I may be the only one but I’d rather have Pearl over him.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
ADVERTISEMENT