ADVERTISEMENT

Who to UK?

What sucks the worst is the lack of marketing. I doubt ESPN picks up pro days, offseason trips, and all the other stuff that made the off-season interesting. UK just became every other team. March to November silence.

UK can always fall back on;

Mark Pope
Sean Miller
The lepercaun
Abdur-Rahim’
Fred Hoiberg
Otzelberger

Sheesh. I'm sure all of those candiates would jump at the opportunity. But, can't imagine any would excite the fanbase quite like Nate Oats, Dan Hurley, Scott Drew, Billy Donovan, Bruce Pearl or Jay Wright.

It's strange to me that so many fans are celebrating Calipari leaving. As if there's no way the next coach could have similar struggles or worse. For all anyone knows, it could be another Gillispie.

Very, very possible. Kentucky's base needs results. And quickly. Living up to UK expectations won't be easy for a new coach. Cal won the hearts over quickly as he made 4 Final Fours in his first 6 seasons. Good luck trying to match that. Heck, for any coach to make 4 Final Fours in 20 years is a great accomplishment, IMO.

Sheesh. I'm sure all of those candiates would jump at the opportunity. But, can't imagine any would excite the fanbase quite like Nate Oats, Dan Hurley, Scott Drew, Billy Donovan, Bruce Pearl or Jay Wright.

UK is going to have to gamble big on a chance.

I’m not invested in any one particular person. If I had to start a preferred list I’d probably prefer Oates or Hurley. I’m still celebrating our liberation!
Oats is out of consideration for KY.

I'm sure the local media will spin it to where it's a good hire, not a great hire, nor a homerun hire.

But at least he didn't have some bad breaks in the last couple years.

Drew lost didn't make it out the first weekend in the last 3 seasons.

ugh.

Haha guess Scott Drew got wind of all the rumors of him being on a flight to Lexington... I was seeing it everywhere. Wow. It'll be hilarious when Kentucky ends up hiring someone like Todd Golden or Mark Pope as its next head coach.
PearlFacts.jpg

Barnhart looking more and more like a Pearl diver.

It's strange to me that so many fans are celebrating Calipari leaving. As if there's no way the next coach could have similar struggles or worse. For all anyone knows, it could be another Gillispie.
It's not strange to me, just look at what Cal has done the last 5 years. Look at all the awful losses at home, the 9-16 season (worst season.in UK history), the awful tournament losses (two worst losses in.program.history), 1 NCAAT win, 1 SECT win the last 3 years, awful record against ranked teams, refusing to do press conferences after losses, calling.out fans and media when he wins, pumping the NBA and recruiting classes, but not UK, playing lineups for NBA draft stock and to keep players from pouting instead of what's best for winning at UK.

The ladt 3 years, the national and local media has called him out for playing the worst possible lineups he could play, instead of the lineups that are proven winners. But he ignores al that and would rather lose instead of playing his best players.

If this was 2009-2015 Cal, yeah, it would.be crazy to want him out.

Even 2016-2019 Cal was okay, he was still getting good results.

But 2020-2024 John Calipari, is nothing more than a blowhard salesman that has doubled down on players first, one-on-done and NBA draft, full of excuses and what-ifs and a complete old man shell of what he used to be. He looks like an old coot forcing a square peg into a round hole and getting mad at everyone else because he's failing.

This move to Arkansas might invigorate him, but he's not going to come off his NBA first mantra and in today's game, that's not going to work.

It's not strange to me, just look at what Cal has done the last 5 years. Look at all the awful losses at home, the 9-16 season (worst season.in UK history), the awful tournament losses (two worst losses in.program.history), 1 NCAAT win, 1 SECT win the last 3 years, awful record against ranked teams, refusing to do press conferences after losses, calling.out fans and media when he wins, pumping the NBA and recruiting classes, but not UK, playing lineups for NBA draft stock and to keep players from pouting instead of what's best for winning at UK.

The ladt 3 years, the national and local media has called him out for playing the worst possible lineups he could play, instead of the lineups that are proven winners. But he ignores al that and would rather lose instead of playing his best players.

If this was 2009-2015 Cal, yeah, it would.be crazy to want him out.

Even 2016-2019 Cal was okay, he was still getting good results.

But 2020-2024 John Calipari, is nothing more than a blowhard salesman that has doubled down on players first, one-on-done and NBA draft, full of excuses and what-ifs and a complete old man shell of what he used to be. He looks like an old coot forcing a square peg into a round hole and getting mad at everyone else because he's failing.

This move to Arkansas might invigorate him, but he's not going to come off his NBA first mantra and in today's game, that's not going to work.
Can you imagine if he reaches a FF before UK's next coach? What does Arkansas have over UK? Bud Walton arena is a great place to watch a game if you've never been.

Some got their wish and here we are.

Folks who said they wanted Cal gone had no backup plan.

, and here we are.
Is there a power 5 coach out there that has sucked as bad as Cal has the last 4 years?
Losses to Evansville, Richmond, UNCW, UAB at home, losses to Saint Peters (worst NCAAT loss in school history) and lost to Oakland (2nd worst NCAAT loss in school history) and how many lottery picks and first roundrrs did he have on those teams.

He lost to SP with a NPOY and 2 NBA talents.

He lost to Oakland with 2 lottery picks and 4 future NBA players. Can you find a coach that has done less with even half the talent he’s had? I can't.

Cal 2024 is a far cry from what he was from 09-15.

Reactions: englandnu
Is there a power 5 coach out there that has sucked as bad as Cal has the last 4 years?
Losses to Evansville, Richmond, UNCW, UAB at home, losses to Saint Peters (worst NCAAT loss in school history) and lost to Oakland (2nd worst NCAAT loss in school history) and how many lottery picks and first roundrrs did he have on those teams.

He lost to SP with a NPOY and 2 NBA talents.

He lost to Oakland with 2 lottery picks and 4 future NBA players. Can you find a coach that has done less with even half the talent he’s had? I can't.

Cal 2024 is a far cry from what he was from 09-15.
I don't get last 4 year thinking ever coach goes thru lulls. Only UK would run an HOF coach off of what have you done for me lately.

We harp on timeframe.

Cant wait to see who we hire next. I think we're down to Barnhardt's friend who has made it past the first weekend 5 times in the last 11 years.

What happens if he goes 4 years without getting to the next weekend. Move to the next one?

Can you imagine if he reaches a FF before UK's next coach? What does Arkansas have over UK? Bud Walton arena is a great place to watch a game if you've never been.

Some got their wish and here we are.
In order for him to do that, he's going to have to change pretty much everything he's been doing.

His priority has been the NBA draft, not UK. The only way you're going to win with that mindset, is if he gets a bunch of transcendent talents and even then, I still don't see it happening. He's just not a very good coach.

But, if he does well, I'll tip my cap, but the fact remains, he stunk the last 4 years with supreme talent and 2 years with a NPOY who was a generational talent.

But I'll ask you this, what will you say when Cal continues to not win the SEC, the SECT, continues to lose 10 games each season and can't get out of the first weekend in the NCAAT, but continues to brag about NBA draft picks? To me, this is more likely to happen.

Sounds like John Welch has gone off to Fresno State, so there goes Cal's offensive mastermind.

In order for him to do that, he's going to have to change pretty much everything he's been doing.

His priority has been the NBA draft, not UK. The only way you're going to win with that mindset, is if he gets a bunch of transcendent talents and even then, I still don't see it happening. He's just not a very good coach.

But, if he does well, I'll tip my cap, but the fact remains, he stunk the last 4 years with supreme talent and 2 years with a NPOY who was a generational talent.

But I'll ask you this, what will you say when Cal continues to not win the SEC, the SECT, continues to lose 10 games each season and can't get out of the first weekend in the NCAAT, but continues to brag about NBA draft picks? To me, this is more likely to happen.

Sounds like John Welch has gone off to Fresno State, so there goes Cal's offensive mastermind.
So bragging about 5* recruits landed and went to the draft and all that comes with it was a problem?
Look, you got what you wanted and were down to Drew who has less stats than Tubby and some how he's better.

Sunshine pumping for a new hire shouldn't be what we're dealing with.

How many years do we give the new coached to perform in the NcaaT?

Drew sucks in the tournament, backup plans are worse.

"oh, he'll do better at UK", speculation < stats.

I don't get last 4 year thinking ever coach goes thru lulls. Only UK would run an HOF coach off of what have you done for me lately.

We harp on timeframe.

Cant wait to see who we hire next. I think we're down to Barnhardt's friend who has made it past the first weekend 5 times in the last 11 years.

What happens if he goes 4 years without getting to the next weekend. Move to the next one?
This isn’t just a lull, these losses are caused by his NBA draft boner. He doesn't play his best lineups, he plays the guys he made promises to and who needs help getting their draft stock up.

He's not doing whats best for UK, he’s letting the players soft feelings and draft stock decide who plays and who doesn't.

Can you name another coach that has gone into these lulls while having an embarrassment of talent like Cal has had?

I would he good with it if he didn’t prioritize players first and the NBA draft, those two things are mist of the readons for the losses.

Not to mention, the one-and-done is dead, but he refuses to let it go. If he continues to do that at Arkansas, he’s going to lose just as much there as he did here. Don't believe me, read up on what Jay Wright said after Cal's loss to Oakland.

Also, he left, he had Mitch's support, he decided to leave, it's on him. Nobody can blame the fans for being angry. The BBN has more than done their part. This fanbase follows the team everywhere and packs every arena and gives UK a home environment on neutral courts, but somehow we're to blame? Riiiiight.

This isn’t just a lull, these losses are caused by his NBA draft boner. He doesn't play his best lineups, he plays the guys he made promises to and who needs help getting their draft stock up.

He's not doing whats best for UK, he’s letting the players soft feelings and draft stock decide who plays and who doesn't.

Can you name another coach that has gone into these lulls while having an embarrassment of talent like Cal has had?

I would he good with it if he didn’t prioritize players first and the NBA draft, those two things are mist of the readons for the losses.

Not to mention, the one-and-done is dead, but he refuses to let it go. If he continues to do that at Arkansas, he’s going to lose just as much there as he did here. Don't believe me, read up on what Jay Wright said after Cal's loss to Oakland.

Also, he left, he had Mitch's support, he decided to leave, it's on him. Nobody can blame the fans for being angry. The BBN has more than done their part. This fanbase follows the team everywhere and packs every arena and gives UK a home environment on neutral courts, but somehow we're to blame? Riiiiight.
Congrats. I truly hope it works out and we're successful.

I hope Arkansas doesn't do better than UK next year. He's already recruiting and we don't have a coach. Most recruits are committed. Cal recruits are de-committing from Uk and the transfer portal is running thin.

Let's take a year off.

Last edited:
So bragging about 5* recruits landed and went to the draft and all that comes with it was a problem?
Look, you got what you wanted and were down to Drew who has less stats than Tubby and some how he's better.

Look at Cal's record the last 4 years. What has he done to fix it?

5* kids aren't getting it done, go ahead and follow him to Arkansas if 5* high school kids are your thing. That shit doesn’t win in college anymore.

Look at all the teams in the last 10 final 4's, how many of those teams had freshmen in the starting lineups?

UK and duke in 2015 had some, got anyone else after that?

Recruiting banners don't win you shit except Cal bragging about draft picks. That bastard turned UK into an NBA farm system and he knew that meant UK would suffer, but he didn't care.

The college game changed. It’s more analytical, it's more physical, it's more spread out and it's older, this crap Cal is doing won't work and look what it's doing, look at all these bad losses. How tf can you be good with all these losses at home to mid majors and losses in the tournament to mid majors?

1 NCAAT win in 4 years.. .ONE this is Kentucky, that’s unacceptable.

He never prepared his team for Oakland, he just told them to play hard. 9 million a year and he's the laziest coach out there.

Congrats. I truly hope it works out and we're successful.

I hope Arkansas doesn't do better than UK next year. He's already recruiting and we don't have a coach. Most recruits are committed. Cal recruits are de-committing from Uk and the transfer portal is running thin.

Let's take a year off.
I said it before and I'll say it again, Calipari will never sniff another FF. The only way he even gets to the AVERAGE level, is if he changes almost everything he is doing right now, but he won’t.

You're not going to win with young teams in todays game, you just won't, but he's not going to change.

Look at Cal's coaching tree. It’s garbage, not one worthy coach has come out of Cal's staff. Why is that? And now, nobody wants to stay on his staff anymore, because he doesn't listen to anybody. He’s a complete narcissistic asshat.

The guy is an awful bench coach, Arkansas can have him. He was hidden by supreme talent for many years, well guess what, he’s not getting supreme talent anymore, duke took that from him.

I said it before and I'll say it again, Calipari will never sniff another FF. The only way he even gets to the AVERAGE level, is if he changes almost everything he is doing right now, but he won’t.

You're not going to win with young teams in todays game, you just won't, but he's not going to change.

Look at Cal's coaching tree. It’s garbage, not one worthy coach has come out of Cal's staff. Why is that? And now, nobody wants to stay on his staff anymore, because he doesn't listen to anybody. He’s a complete narcissistic asshat.

The guy is an awful bench coach, Arkansas can have him. He was hidden by supreme talent for many years, well guess what, he’s not getting supreme talent anymore, duke took that from him.
Bookmarked.

Bookmarked.
Yeah, we already have a ban bet on that.

Like I said, the only way he wins, is if he changes everything he's doing and brings in assistants that basically do all the game prep and bench coaching for him. he also needs to play the best lineups. he wasn't doing that here.

If this mediocre recruiting class follows him to Arkansas, I look forward to watching the debacle that will be his first year at Arkansas.

Heck, he stunk it up 2 years ago with a veteran roster, I don't know if there's a lineup he can win with right now.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

Again, which coaches had done more than Drew before being hired by Kentucky?

Baylor had been awful since the 40s before Drew arrived and he had to build the program amidst a massive scandal that made recruiting a bitch for years. Yet he still equaled what Tubby did with Kentucky's resources.

Not to mention, Tubby peaked in his first year, with a ready-made roster handed down by Pitino. Drew built his title winner and destroyed a Gonzaga team that was one of the most hyped of this era.

If Tubby had taken over Baylor instead of Drew, do you think he'd have done more? He did little at Minnesota, Texas Tech or Memphis.

I think he does change----and here is why:

He doesn't THAT stage anymore----That stage being, UK. I think Cal's ego, combined with UK's stature, was a great mix, that became a very bad mix.

All that changes now. ARK will be the talk of CBB.....and of course , Cal. And IMO Cal is gonna be like---"Ok, wanted me gone---fine...I'm gonna fukin show you."----It wont be about draft picks now. It'll be about showing CBB, mostly UK, "hey muther****ers….watch this."

Ya'll wanted swaggy Cal, back. Oh you gonna get that----But it'll from Fayetteville. Not Lexington. Ya'll mutherfukers just woke up a monster.

I think he does change----and here is why:

He doesn't THAT stage anymore----That stage being, UK. I think Cal's ego, combined with UK's stature, was a great mix, that became a very bad mix.

All that changes now. ARK will be the talk of CBB.....and of course , Cal. And IMO Cal is gonna be like---"Ok, wanted me gone---fine...I'm gonna fukin show you."----It wont be about draft picks now. It'll be about showing CBB, mostly UK, "hey muther****ers….watch this."

Ya'll wanted swaggy Cal, back. Oh you gonna get that----But it'll from Fayetteville. Not Lexington. Ya'll mutherfukers just woke up a monster.
Chip on a shoulder Cal>Swaggy Cal?

ADVERTISEMENT