ADVERTISEMENT

Uh oh. Krzyzewski’s grandson and Paulo Banchero arrested for DUI

Judging by the charge Paolo got, it's possible he was driving and switched seats when the cop pulled them over, but that's just a guess. If he did that, he might be in quite a bit more trouble.

no, that's not a thing. If cop saw him doing that he would be charged with the DWI.

I have no idea what aiding and abetting a DWI is though, never heard of that. Sounds like BS that will never stick in court.

I would think if they saw that, they would have given Banchero a DUI.

Here is the statement about his charge:

Aiding and abetting a DWI in North Carolina can be charged when a person knowingly turns over their own vehicle to someone who is impaired or fails to prevent an impaired person from getting behind the wheel.

ah that makes sense. You definitely can't be giving your car to someone who is drunk. That's very similar to dram shop law.

SOunds like Duke's DD plan is just having a scrub go to the bar with you and then at the end of the night you make him drive your car. I guess UBER is too expensive for Duke athletic dept

Yeah. Super gay. It's like lending someone a pocket knife and they stab someone to death with it. Welp, looks like we're both going to prison for murder.

A more apt comparison would be a friend asking you for a knife because he wanted to go stab someone and you give him the knife.

Charging people with aiding and abetting for giving their car to a drunk is a great law that benefits every person who posts here.

A more apt comparison would be a friend asking you for a knife because he wanted to go stab someone and you give him the knife.

Charging people with aiding and abetting for giving their car to a drunk is a great law that benefits every person who posts here.
The point is that the driver made the decision to drive, not Banchero. Maybe Paolo thought he, himself, was too smashed to drive and K's grandson said he was fine to drive, so Paolo gave him the keys.

Yeah. Super gay. It's like lending someone a pocket knife and they stab someone to death with it. Welp, looks like we're both going to prison for murder.

Well if you had knowledge they were going to use it for murder, you probably would be charged with a crime.

Well if you had knowledge they were going to use it for murder, you probably would be charged with a crime.
I also don't follow my friends around at a party and monitor how many drinks they've had or carry around a breathalyzer with me to check.

Reactions: GE Nole
Paulo was driving and told Krzyzewski’s grandson to hop in drivers seat. Apparently he didn’t want to, but Paulo jumped in back. Paulo refused breathalyzer but reportedly had 12 Jell-O shots, 12 Smirnoff Ices and a Manhattan

K needs to punish Banchero by making him shoot FTs all day in the gym and then sitting him during the 1st half of Gardner Webb game tonight to teach him a lesson about the dangers of aiding and abetting a DWI.

The point is that the driver made the decision to drive, not Banchero. Maybe Paolo thought he, himself, was too smashed to drive and K's grandson said he was fine to drive, so Paolo gave him the keys.

No, the point is as a society we want people to be responsible for their poor decisions, especially if those poor decisions can lead to innocents being injured or killed. That's why this law exists. As a society we don't want people enabling drunks to drive. That's why there is a penalty for giving your keys to a drunk. No different than dram shop law. We punish bars that over serve people who later get in car accidents. The reasoning is the same.

Coach K's kid made a bad decision. Paolo made a bad decision. The driver will pay a steeper price, but they both screwed this up.

I also don't follow my friends around at a party and monitor how many drinks they've had or carry around a breathalyzer with me to check.
well now you know that you should if you plan on handing over your keys to those people.

In all seriousness, it's really not that tough. Anyone who has been drinking shouldn't be driving unless you've genuinely had 1 beer over several hours. if you get drunk and give your keys away you can't later claim ignorance. Or worse, ignorance because you were too drunk to know better.

No, the point is as a society we want people to be responsible for their poor decisions, especially if those poor decisions can lead to innocents being injured or killed. That's why this law exists. As a society we don't want people enabling drunks to drive. That's why there is a penalty for giving your keys to a drunk. No different than dram shop law. We punish bars that over serve people who later get in car accidents. The reasoning is the same.

Coach K's kid made a bad decision. Paolo made a bad decision. The driver will pay a steeper price, but they both screwed this up.
Once again, assumptions or conclusions being made to fit an argument. Not one person knows exactly what happened and how it got to where they are right now, except those involved. Paolo passed the breathalyzer and was sitting in the back seat. Maybe the grandson knew the way or wanted to just drive Paolo's car. We can all make assumptions that look positive or negative. But Paolo passing the test and him having a game day thread, means more than some of the haters assumptions.

Once again, assumptions or conclusions being made to fit an argument. Not one person knows exactly what happened and how it got to where they are right now, except those involved. Paolo passed the breathalyzer and was sitting in the back seat. Maybe the grandson knew the way or wanted to just drive Paolo's car. We can all make assumptions that look positive or negative. But Paolo passing the test and him having a game day thread, means more than some of the haters assumptions.

Paolo being sober or drunk has no bearing on his culpability whatsoever. The only issue is whether or not he gave his keys to a drunk person. I've only been a lawyer for 25 years, but I'm pretty sure you can't defend these charges by saying "but Judge, I wasn't going to let the grandson drive my car but he really really wanted to!".

Sitting in the back seat, passing a breathalyzer...none of that is relevant.

Paolo being sober or drunk has no bearing on his culpability whatsoever. The only issue is whether or not he gave his keys to a drunk person. I've only been a lawyer for 25 years, but I'm pretty sure you can't defend these charges by saying "but Judge, I wasn't going to let the grandson drive my car but he really really wanted to!".

Sitting in the back seat, passing a breathalyzer...none of that is relevant.
If someone can fail a breathalyzer with a .08 and someone can blow a .08 after 3 beers, which would not make 98% of the population even feel a little bit drunk, how is PB supposed to know or be aware that Savarino would be cited for drunk driving.

I truly do not think PB would give the keys to someone stumbling drunk. In 6 months he is going to be a multi millionnaire.

How about we apply a little logic here.

I'm not doubting you, but where did you see Pablo took and passed a breathalyzer? All I'm seeing is K's grandson failed one.

I'm not doubting you, but where did you see Pablo took and passed a breathalyzer? All I'm seeing is K's grandson failed one.
Sorry, cant remember where I read that today. But I did read it. I believe I read he was given a test and then released. I am sure they tested all in the car for underage drinking with the driver being underage. <-----Assumption.

Found it. Cited and released. WRAL is my source.

Banchero, who was riding in the back seat of the Jeep, was cited and released. He has a Dec. 8 court date.

I really don't think much will, or should, happen to Banchero. In the end K will play the victim so well he will have the media feeling sorry for the fact that these poor kids were ever even pulled over.

I really don't think much will, or should, happen to Banchero. In the end K will play the victim so well he will have the media feeling sorry for the fact that these poor kids were ever even pulled over.
Without looking it up, Ty Lawson got a DUI during the 09 season, didn't he? How many games was he suspended for?

Without looking it up, Ty Lawson got a DUI during the 09 season, didn't he? How many games was he suspended for?

No, he got drinking underage. He wasn't drunk so couldn't get a DUI. I think it was reduced and he just served some community service. I doubt he was suspended but don't really remember.

No, he got drinking underage. He wasn't drunk so couldn't get a DUI. I think it was reduced and he just served some community service. I doubt he was suspended but don't really remember.
So Roy played the victim then?

Lets not stop them from making assumptions. Makes it so much more fun later.
Chill out, I literally said it was just a guess. You’re pretty fvcking awful.

If this was a UK or uNC player, you'd be leading the charge to have him expelled.

We get it now, the kid gave the keys to another kid that he knew was drinking. We got it.

If someone can fail a breathalyzer with a .08 and someone can blow a .08 after 3 beers, which would not make 98% of the population even feel a little bit drunk, how is PB supposed to know or be aware that Savarino would be cited for drunk driving.

I truly do not think PB would give the keys to someone stumbling drunk. In 6 months he is going to be a multi millionnaire.

How about we apply a little logic here.

Using adult logic to try and get in the mind of a 18 year old? Yea, that's real logical.

The number that mini K blew will make a difference, if he is barely drunk the penalty for Paolo will be less than if he was stumbling drunk. Did Mini K blow a .08 or are you just assuming that?

Sorry, cant remember where I read that today. But I did read it. I believe I read he was given a test and then released. I am sure they tested all in the car for underage drinking with the driver being underage. <-----Assumption.

Found it. Cited and released. WRAL is my source.

Banchero, who was riding in the back seat of the Jeep, was cited and released. He has a Dec. 8 court date.
So nothing about a breathalyzer. I assume he was given one, but it's just that, an assumption. No way to know for sure or quote that he took and passed one.

Chill out, I literally said it was just a guess. You’re pretty fvcking awful.

If this was a UK or uNC player, you'd be leading the charge to have him expelled.

We get it now, the kid gave the keys to another kid that he knew was drinking. We got it.
See, there is the difference in myself and other fans. I would not want him expelled. I mean, there are some dicks on some of the UNc teams that I disliked, but I dont automatically dislike UNc players like some fans do Duke kids. I hate the UNc fans, not the players. I disliked Roy for being the biggest phony in college basketball and DES was just a hypocrite. I actually like some of their players.

Using adult logic to try and get in the mind of a 18 year old? Yea, that's real logical.

The number that mini K blew will make a difference, if he is barely drunk the penalty for Paolo will be less than if he was stumbling drunk. Did Mini K blow a .08 or are you just assuming that?
LOCAL NEWS

Duke basketball players -- expected lottery pick Banchero and Coach K's grandson Savarino -- face charges related to DWI​

Tags:
Posted November 16, 2021 9:33 a.m. EST
Updated November 16, 2021 3:50 p.m. EST

EFLAND, N.C. — Two Duke University basketball players were arrested on impaired driving-related charges over the weekend.
Court records show Michael Savarino was charged with driving while impaired and driving after consuming under the age of 21. Savarino, 20, is the grandson of Duke head men's basketball coach Mike Krzyzyewski. Police records also show he was cited with failure to yield at a stop sign or flashing red light.
Paolo Banchero, 19, faces a charge of aiding and abetting impaired driving. Banchero, a freshman, was one of the Class of 2021's most coveted recruits. He was voted as the preseason ACC Player of the Year and is expected to be picked early in the next spring's NBA Draft.
North Carolina State Highway Patrol Sgt. Chris Knox said Savarino was pulled over at a traffic stop at Bushy Cook Road and West Ten Road in rural Orange County just after 1 a.m. on Sunday.

Coming up on WRAL-TV at 5​

WRAL's Sarah Krueger talks to legal experts about what's next for Duke players Paolo Banchero and Michael Savarino in light of Sunday's charges.
Documents obtained by WRAL News show that Savarino was driving Banchero's vehicle, a white Jeep, and admitted to the trooper that he had consumed "several shots." The trooper said the vehicle smelled of alcohol and noted that Savarino's eyes were red.
MORE FROM WRAL
Advertisement

Powerball Drawing​

02:11