ADVERTISEMENT

1966 Duke Kentucky Game

Verga4ever

Silver Member
Mar 5, 2024
It’s finally here! The book generations of Duke fans have been waiting to read! Written by a lifetime Duke fan who remembered the 1966 final four and who was also a civil rights leader in Durham in the 1970s, the Duke community gets to read the book they’ve all been waiting for for more than 50 years about Bob Verga and the 1996 Final Four! In “The Bob Verga Shift" the author FINALLY shows to generations of Duke and Kentucky fans what would likely have actually happened if Verga had NOT been sick before the 1966 final fours semifinal game. Based on nearly 200 internet and newspaper articles, 40 books, and many useful interviews, the book should become the DEFINITIVE source on the ’66 game.

So get your copies today folks, available from Torchflame books! Here is a link to my website. Happy reading!

• Sad
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
History already has it covered. UK won, the dookies lost. Dook fans should be grateful or they would have been vilified for being an all-white team against Texas Western.

It would have been interesting if Duke lost in the Championship game instead of Kentucky.

Still, two all-white teams and Glory Road would have just replaced the names and players.

Might want to get the book and take a closer look. Yes, Duke DEFINITELY should be grateful
they lost the game; their infamy would have been MUCH greater than Kentucky's if they
had played it.

Get the book. Check out the matchups! Take a look at what was actually going in Durham and NC
back then! Duke was NOT playing that game!

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Duke was known for decades after the game of recruiting white guys and still never hired an AA coach.

I guess that would have changed if they did lose that game or beat them.

Get the book. Check out the matchups! Take a look at what was actually going in Durham and NC
back then! Duke was NOT playing that game!
Thanks but I'm not buying the book. I hope you have great sales. Would rather just have the discussion here.

I'm not going to get into the details here, because I don't want to get into trouble, but you need to take a look
at the stuff that was going on in NC back then. I lived there then, and I even I didn't believe. it.

I'm not going to get into the details here, because I don't want to get into trouble, but you need to take a look
at the stuff that was going on in NC back then. I lived there then, and I even I didn't believe. it.
Tease.

We have a lot of Duke and UNC fans here.

You need to wait decades before you rewrite history.

Did the Duke players also have the flu?

Prior to Coach K Duke did not win a title. To change that narrative you must write books after most folks who watched the game are dead.

Verga was so much better than Pat Riley and Lou Dampier. History sure as hell does not indicate that at all.

Now, now! If you Kentucky guys really want to know, the book winds up actually being quite complimentary
of the 1966 UK team. It shows clearly that they did Duke a HUGE favor by getting them off the hook
in 1966. The game was going to stir up a lot of trouble, both in Durham and nationally. Duke was very
lucky they didn't play Texas Western.

Now, now! If you Kentucky guys really want to know, the book winds up actually being quite complimentary
of the 1966 UK team. It shows clearly that they did Duke a HUGE favor by getting them off the hook
in 1966. The game was going to stir up a lot of trouble, both in Durham and nationally. Duke was very
lucky they didn't play Texas Western.
Bought it. I'm sold. Persistence is persuading and should be great toilet reading. That came out wrong, it's just where I do the most paperback reading.

Bought it. I'm sold. Persistence is persuading and should be great toilet reading. That came out wrong, it's just where I do the most paperback reading.
Hey, spread the word! I'll give you a sentence from the closing paragraph to help you UK folks out. "But the 1966 UK Wildcats really were heroes. When Larry Conley, who had soldiered through the game with a 102 degree fever drove the length of the court with the last gasp of energy in his flu ridden body, he saved America from a game that would have gone down in infamy." Help you guys out some?

• Sad
Hey, spread the word! I'll give you a sentence from the closing paragraph to help you UK folks out. "But the 1966 UK Wildcats really were heroes. When Larry Conley, who had soldiered through the game with a 102 degree fever drove the length of the court with the last gasp of energy in his flu ridden body, he saved America from a game that would have gone down in infamy." Help you guys out some?
Just canceled. ;)

Oh, gee. sorry! Well, that's one person. I think the rest of the UK folks on the forum will see it a little
differently!

Good, there's one more sale! I can use it to buy a pizza for the Carolina game this weekend.

FWIW, C.B. Claiborne was on the freshmen team in '66. He couldn't compete, obviously, because freshmen were ineligible.

800px-C._B._Claiborne_%28Duke_Chronicle_1967-12-13%29.jpg

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Yeah, but his presence made a HUGE difference in '66. He showed that Duke really
was trying to recruit black players and Kentucky wasn't. It would have completely
changed the impact if Duke had won.

Yeah, but his presence made a HUGE difference in '66. He showed that Duke really
was trying to recruit black players and Kentucky wasn't. It would have completely
changed the impact if Duke had won.
I can already see where this is going before reading it.

Haven’t read the thread, just popping in to say that I’ve read 5 of the 17 copies I’ve kept for myself. Great read. You probably don’t believe me, but if I was lying how would I know who Larry Conley was and how he changed history forever? You’re not finding a spoiler like that anywhere but between the covers.

ADVERTISEMENT