ADVERTISEMENT

Tech vs Duke

Interesting game, I still like Duke in this one but Tech defends at a high level.

This game depends entirely on how Duke attacks the intensity of the defense. Being young and this being the first elite defense Duke’s faced, my concern is they’ll settle for threes out of frustration. In the end it comes down to, and I’m not really going out on a limb here, transition.

If Duke doesn’t get to run, Tech wins. If Duke runs, Duke wins.

This game depends entirely on how Duke attacks the intensity of the defense. Being young and this being the first elite defense Duke’s faced, my concern is they’ll settle for threes out of frustration. In the end it comes down to, and I’m not really going out on a limb here, transition.

If Duke doesn’t get to run, Tech wins. If Duke runs, Duke wins.

Bingo. The thing that worries me the most is the physicality of Texas Tech.

If Duke starts fast then I think we could see a comfortable win.

I predicted 81-68.

Reactions: WojoRising
I think Duke is more reliant on the other team turning the ball over than they are being able to run. Which in a way can be synonymous. I think the difference will be taking care of the ball and creating turnovers for Duke. And of course free throws, which we don't want to rely on those too often this year.

If Tech can slow Duke down and make them play to a set defense then this game will be interesting. I see Duke winning but I will be rooting for Tech tonight, it should be a good game.

I would have feel better if it was last years team. We play good team defense, the center position has been upgraded with Owens, and Culver is a legit NBA guy. However Duke has more than a couple of those. If Zhaire Smith had stayed and Khavon Moore was playing it would be way more interesting. We haven't played the toughest schedule so it will be interesting how we fare vs Duke. But if we can limit turnovers and guys knock down shots who knows.

The good news is we were picked 7th in the Big 12 after our Elite 8 run so basically everything is a bonus at this point. If we lose well Duke should beat us. If we win its a great win.

Hopefully more teams like Duke will schedule us in the future though its fun playing good basketball schools like Memphis and Duke.

Is Duke running more man or zone defense? I know Coach K likes man defense better but he has gone to zone with these younger teams the last few years to use the length and athleticism to get stops and induce jump shots. Tech runs a decent amount of motion still which is pretty effective against man, especially 19 year olds running man. If Duke is in zone then it'll come down to jump shooting and I'm not sure Tech has enough shooting to consistently win that way. Although Tech shoots better this season than last.

Is Duke running more man or zone defense? I know Coach K likes man defense better but he has gone to zone with these younger teams the last few years to use the length and athleticism to get stops and induce jump shots. Tech runs a decent amount of motion still which is pretty effective against man, especially 19 year olds running man. If Duke is in zone then it'll come down to jump shooting and I'm not sure Tech has enough shooting to consistently win that way. Although Tech shoots better this season than last.

These 19 year old freshmen run a top 5 defense in their man to man. I'm sure your motion offense is great, but they've faced better offenses quite a few times already, including the #1 offense.

Reactions: PHXDukie
This is a different Duke team from the past freshmen heavy teams, they play man to man defense. #5 per kenpom.

Tech is still untested so I don't have a lot of faith in this being a very good game.

Don't pull that jinx bullshit.

Lol, I'm not this time. What have you seen from Tech to make you think they can hang with Duke? I understand your perspective. You are probably like me and find the ways any opponent can beat Duke like I do with UNC. From an outside perspective, this isn't a team I see Duke struggling too much with.

This is a different Duke team from the past freshmen heavy teams, they play man to man defense. #5 per kenpom.

#1 in the country in blocks by a decent margin. The difference between Duke and the #2 team in the country (Jacksonville) is the same as between the #2 team and the #25 team.

Tech is playing well and their defense so far is outstanding. Outside shooting for Duke isn't there but it's still early.

The only legit charge that's been called was on Reddish, the rest were really bad. Barrett got tripped and called for a foul.

Tech is legit. Would’ve loved to have Beard if we didn’t get Mack

Dukes on ball defense gives up a ton of blow by’s. Their 1st help d is great. 2nd rotation is leaving guys wide open. Seems like they are sparking techs offense by trying to hug their man and reach while their guy cruises right on by.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT