ADVERTISEMENT

Report: Kansas Expected to Face "Multiple Major NCAA Violations"

Yeah, that’s what I meant. Derrr.

I’m enjoying the celebration in this thread. Don’t really care about the news. As I’ve said all along, the only punishment that could really bother me is a postseason ban. That’s not happening.
Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaa. Liar

kudos
great attitude and thought process
i felt the same way 30 years ago when UK got into trouble

some fans of all schools that have gotten caught cheating, whine, cry and blame
instead of just hating that it happened and excepting the fact it did happen and move on

I do think KU will receive some sort of punishment. Unless the NCAA comes with something completely new than what many of us knew last year or the year before, it's going to be tough for the NCAA to drop the full hammer on Kansas. However, the reality is the NCAA has nobody to answer to other than themselves. They have the power to paint words using ridiculously wide brush without going into great detail of what they found, and use it to levy the punishment.

As I said before, if the NCAA has new information that is damning, it's time to face the music. Make no mistake, it will suck if that ends up being the case. This whole situation is going to be long drawn out and unnerving.

Reactions: briarmaster
As I said before, if the NCAA has new information that is damning, it's time to face the music. Make no mistake, it will suck if that ends up being the case. This whole situation is going to be long drawn out and unnerving.
What is the timeline? Isn't it 90 days to respond (Dec 22nd), then the NCAA has 60 days or something like that, and then KU has another 90 days? I can't recall from the UNC investigation.

So if there's a postseason ban or Self suspended for a year,etc. I'd assume it won't happen until next season. I can't imagine KU being in any rush although it might hurt recruiting. How's your 2020 class as of now?

Last edited:
Reactions: RockChalkRally
I do think KU will receive some sort of punishment. Unless the NCAA comes with something completely new than what many of us knew last year or the year before, it's going to be tough for the NCAA to drop the full hammer on Kansas. However, the reality is the NCAA has nobody to answer to other than themselves. They have the power to paint words using ridiculously wide brush without going into great detail of what they found, and use it to levy the punishment.

"strict liability" is two of those words painted with a wide brush (only used when the NCAA deems fitting )

i don't think anyone knows how this will play out

What is the timeline? Isn't it 90 days to respond (Dec 22nd), then the NCAA has 60 days or something like that, and then KU has another 90 days? I can't recall from the UNC investigation.

So if there's a postseason ban or Self suspended for a year,etc. I'd assume it won't happen until next season. I can't imagine KU being in any rush although it might hurt recruiting. How's your 2020 class as of now?

There's the 90 days for KU to respond. KU can also ask for an extension to the 90 day response. After that, the NCAA has 60 days to respond back. Once the NCAA responds, a hearing is schedule and that is the area that could take some time. Seeing as we received the NOA today, with the season fast approaching, I'm not sure I see any decision happening during the season especially if KU appeals the NCAA's decision and I won't be surprised if they do. On the short time frame it would be 6 months. Long time frame can run 18 to 20 months. I get the feeling this whole situation will get messy. Unless the NCAA drops a bombshell that nobody else knows about, expect KU to fight this tooth and nail.

To think recruiting won't take a hit isn't realistic. It won't kill recruiting unless everything the NCAA is alleging is true.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
"strict liability" is two of those words painted with a wide brush (only used when the NCAA deems fitting )

i don't think anyone knows how this will play out

(only used when the NCAA deems fitting )

^^^^I gotta say, this is the frustrating part.^^^^
You using the words "strict liability" is a helluva lot better than how I said it. Well done!
The unknown in a case like this is always scary....especially when the NCAA's use of strict liability is well in play.

There's the 90 days for KU to respond. KU can also ask for an extension to the 90 day response. After that, the NCAA has 60 days to respond back. Once the NCAA responds, a hearing is schedule and that is the area that could take some time. Seeing as we received the NOA today, with the season fast approaching, I'm not sure I see any decision happening during the season especially if KU appeals the NCAA's decision and I won't be surprised if they do. On the short time frame it would be 6 months. Long time frame can run 18 to 20 months. I get the feeling this whole situation will get messy. Unless the NCAA drops a bombshell that nobody else knows about, expect KU to fight this tooth and nail.

To think recruiting won't take a hit isn't realistic. It won't kill recruiting unless everything the NCAA is alleging is true.

It will definitely get messy, and KU will fight it all the way, because 1) Gassnola testified that he had concealed the payments from Self and KU, and 2) federal prosecutors concluded that KU had been defrauded by Adidas.

I think we will be banned from post season for the 20-21 season and loss of scholarships for 3 years. HCBS might get a ban similar to Boeheim (think that was like 9 games). No banners come down and we get to play in the 20 tourney. Recruiting gonna take a huge blow but Kansas will come back. Again no insight, just what i think is worse case scenario. We are not firing Bill Self.

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
It will definitely get messy, and KU will fight it all the way, because 1) Gassnola testified that he had concealed the payments from Self and KU, and 2) federal prosecutors concluded that KU had been defrauded by Adidas.
During closing arguments in a federal criminal case in New York in October, an attorney for former Adidas executive James Gatto told a jury that his client approved a $20,000 payment to current Kansas player Silvio De Sousa's guardian only after Self and Townsend requested the payment through Gassnola.

I think we will be banned from post season for the 20-21 season and loss of scholarships for 3 years. HCBS might get a ban similar to Boeheim (think that was like 9 games). No banners come down and we get to play in the 20 tourney. Recruiting gonna take a huge blow but Kansas will come back. Again no insight, just what i think is worse case scenario. We are not firing Bill Self.
HardtofindCoarseHairstreakbutterfly-small.gif

What kind of banner could they even take, one of your 100000 big 12 title banners.

During closing arguments in a federal criminal case in New York in October, an attorney for former Adidas executive James Gatto told a jury that his client approved a $20,000 payment to current Kansas player Silvio De Sousa's guardian only after Self and Townsend requested the payment through Gassnola.

Your point?

Sounds like Self was not only aware, but requested payment.

Based on Gatto's attorney's desperate plea to the jury? In a case that he lost? Can't believe a defense lawyer actually made a case for his client...

Again, an FBI investigation was held, KU cooperated fully (by all accounts), and the FBI concluded that KU was a "victim" of fraud. Then you have Gassnola's sworn testimony that Self and staff were unaware of his payments. The fact that the players were paid at all is based on the same testimony.

Regardless of the truth, these facts present problems for the NCAA's case. Self can claim that his exchange with Gassnola was based on the expectation that Gassnola would merely put in a good word for KU, and that he had zero knowledge of impermissable benefits.

I will repeat...things are very different in college basketball NOW as opposed to when UNC was being investigated. Lots of attention on these cases and the NCAA is at a crossroads I would think. I'm not saying Kansas is guilty or not guilty, but I would be extremely nervous if I was a Kansas fan, given the arbitrary nature of the NCAA.

Based on Gatto's attorney's desperate plea to the jury? In a case that he lost? Can't believe a defense lawyer actually made a case for his client...

Again, an FBI investigation was held, KU cooperated fully (by all accounts), and the FBI concluded that KU was a "victim" of fraud. Then you have Gassnola's sworn testimony that Self and staff were unaware of his payments. The fact that the players were paid at all is based on the same testimony.

Regardless of the truth, these facts present problems for the NCAA's case. Self can claim that his exchange with Gassnola was based on the expectation that Gassnola would merely put in a good word for KU, and that he had zero knowledge of impermissable benefits.
told a jury that his client approved a $20,000 payment to current Kansas player Silvio De Sousa's guardian only after Self and Townsend requested the payment through Gassnola.

Some seem to disagree.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
told a jury that his client approved a $20,000 payment to current Kansas player Silvio De Sousa's guardian only after Self and Townsend requested the payment through Gassnola.

Some seem to disagree.

Do you struggle with reading or comprehension?

Maybe a little of column A and a little of column B?

How many times you people gonna fall for this wolf cry? Nothing gonna happen to Kansas. At worst, Self will get some sort of 10 game suspension that he will end up serving during a pre-season part of the schedule.

How many times you people gonna fall for this wolf cry? Nothing gonna happen to Kansas. At worst, Self will get some sort of 10 game suspension that he will end up serving during a pre-season part of the schedule.

It's not as if the NCAA has never handed out strong punishments to KU or other top schools. They banned them from the postseason in '89.

As Self said in his statement, the NCAA is feeling pressure to respond somewhat aggressively to the FBI investigations.

Mentioning Self's name would not help his case one way or the other. So you think it's more likely the lawyer just blatantly lied about that part for no apparent reason?

As much as I like to say nothing is going to happen, the truth is if we're not nervous, then there's something wrong. That said, I'm not sure what to expect but what I do know is KU is fully prepared for a long haul battle with the NCAA. If it turns out KU really is guilty of the mentioned allegations handed out yesterday, then it is what it is. Take the punishment and figure out how to recover and rebuild. Listening and reading to what KU has to work with right now, they sound confident there is sufficient cause to reduce the NCAA's allegations. We will see.

Mentioning Self's name would not help his case one way or the other. So you think it's more likely the lawyer just blatantly lied about that part for no apparent reason?

WTF?

That was part of his closing argument to the jury. He obviously thought it could be a mitigating factor. Why the hell would he mention something in a closing argument that wasn't intended to help his case?

BTW, it's funny that you guys are now in the "more likely" business. Very few of you seem to take that approach in regard to Code's/Gassnola's comments about Kentucky, or the likelihood of Bam, Zion etc taking money.

Last edited:
Since the FBI told the NCAA they are not handing over anymore information to them, the NCAA had better be damn sure they have something concrete. That being said, there is a chance the NCAA uncovered new evidence that is damning to KU. Curious to hear what the notice of allegations consist of.
Coach is going to fight this with every resource the University has at it's disposal. I don't think the NCAA will be able to sufficiently able to pin violations directly on him. This is just more hot gas that smells bad. The NCAA is becoming obsolete.

Coach is going to fight this with every resource the University has at it's disposal. I don't think the NCAA will be able to sufficiently able to pin violations directly on him. This is just more hot gas that smells bad. The NCAA is becoming obsolete.

They don't have to "pin violations directly on him". As head coach he is responsible for what goes on in his program. That's why the NOA says "the head coach knew or should have known".

KL asked me to pass along a message:

Kansas

In

BIG

TWUBBLE
Grow Up. For your own good. The chances that the NCAA have to make the charges against Coach Self stick is less than Alien Ancestors. KU itself did nothing to encourage these "Violations". It is the last gasp of the NCAA as a punishment organization. The States (Several with laws under discussion) are starting to realize that College Sports will go nowhere without some kind of remuneration for Student-Athletes. KU is not in trouble, the NCAA is gasping.

ADVERTISEMENT