ADVERTISEMENT

OT 2020 NFL general discussion thread.

You really think Pro Bowl is the best gauge of a team's talent? Do you think Frank Clark earned his selection this year?

So do you disagree that Tampa was loaded in terms of receiving options? Do they not have one of the top O-lines? Is their defense not loaded, especially at LB and DL?
Pro Bowl, maybe not as much but all pro? sure, that matters a lot.

Reactions: bMORE607
Right? I don't think anyone here thinks Brady was the sole reason Tampa won and knows the D played a huge role (maybe more than Brady).
Thank you! I thought it’s been spelled out a few different times but maybe not. In this particular game, almost have to give the D more credit. But for the season as a whole? I give most of the credit to Tom.

Reactions: dtgold88
I don’t think I agree with your second paragraph. Everything I read about him from teammates or reporters that know him say he is a real genuine guy off the football field. But of course I can’t prove that.

It’s no secret my NFL team sucks and has for most of its history. For me, I just appreciate greatness. I used to hate LeBron but as I’ve gotten older, I’ve become more aware that we won’t see a player like that probably ever again. So why not appreciate him while he’s here? Brady has been in the NFL for as long as I can remember watching football. It’s awesome he’s been this accomplished, even beating the Panthers in 2004 and making me cry as a kid.

You can say what you want about the Bucs but they were lost before Brady got there and besides having a top 5 historical defense in 2002, they have no postseason success. Give credit where credit is due, or take any compliments to Brady as a slight to your QB and team.
Hell, I'm a Cavs' fan and have never liked Lebron....but I can certainly appreciate how great he is and be thankful he helped a team I cheer for win a title I never thought I'd see.

Don't care one way or other about Brady....but he's damn good and at the least in discussion for GOAT.

Hardman can't run routes. Watkins just came back from an injury and barely played. Hill and Kelce are great, but four good options is better than two. And the two can't be properly utilized if your QB is running for his life as soon as the ball is snapped.

Gronk and Brown scored all three of their receiving TDs and caught over half the receptions, and you're saying they're washed up?

Regardless...why are you only addressing receivers? Is the Bucs' front 7 not miles better? Was their O-line not a million times better?
AB was so important they marched to the SB with all games on the road without him.

agree Bucs O-line was better. all you are doing is proving my point....does Mahomes need things to be perfect to succeed?

Hell, a guy like baker who many rip played with a #2 WR as his #1 with the rest of his receivers as guys who should be #3 or #4 receivers. One was a 6th round rookie. He had his 3rd string RT and 5th string guard (let that sink in) and went up and down the field on a Steeler defense that was statistically better than TBs was this year.

and, no, I do not think Baker is better than mahomes (though PFF thought they were about equal 2nd half of season).

If this is a meltdown, I guess I've been in a continuous meltdown for a good while. I was sick of the Brady dickgobbling years ago.

If Lebron's rolling out there with a gray beard and can't dunk anymore, on a Hornets team consisting of Curry, AD, KD and Harden, I'm not going to say he turned that shit franchise around.
Cool.....but that's not what Brady did.

I never called him a shitty QB or said he was dragged to 10 SBs. I said he's 43 and isn't what he was a few years ago. Definitely isn't what he was 10-15 years ago. The decline started to become pretty obvious last year. But shocker....you give a guy one of the greatest TEs in history, three great WRs and a top O-line and he looks solid again.

Not sure what's so controversial about this. I've heard it from plenty of people, including Chris Simms.
wow.....AB and Gronk are still great?

Maybe the Browns can bring in Warfield and Ozzie next season.

How could anybody watch the SB and say with a straight face that Mahomes had more to work with that day than Brady? Funny stuff. Mahomes ran 497 yards on dropbacks. Did Brady even move? He also didn't have to squeeze a single pass into a tight window.

If you want to argue that Mahomes had more to work with the first time they played, that's at least plausible. He had a healthier line and a healthy Watkins. Plus he was healthy. And he threw for 462 and 3 TDs w/ 0 picks.

Were you not following football in 2007? Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Ben Watson and Kevin Faulk. My, the cupboard was bare. He must have definitely won it that year, right? Oops.

Edelman, Gronkowski and James White was a pretty shitty combo too. Not sure how he won anything with those schmucks.

And sure, he's had great offensive lines and Mahomes' lines have ranged from average to terrible. And he's had defenses his entire career that are far superior to anything that Mahomes has had, especially that 2018 KC D that allowed 54 points to the Rams team that the Patriots held to 3 in the Super Bowl (Mahomes, btw, put up 51 on their D while Brady managed 13). But hey, defense isn't a factor.
making my point again....Mahomes needs wide open receivers to excel?

LOL. Did you watch the SB? That’s constant pressure. Chiefs-Browns? Uh, no. 5 pressures, 1 sack. Which backs up what I saw. In fact, I just rewatched some clips, and he had all day to throw on most plays.

It probably seemed like constant pressure to you since you have literally the best line in the game and you were missing a tackle that day, but not even close.

So you think that Mayfield wins if they switched places and he sat out most of the second half, huh? Priceless.
I did watch the SB and you made my point once again.

No, I do not think Baker wins if he sits out second half. But if they both play entire game for the other team KC still wins.

Says guy who claims that Mayfield is as good or better than Mahomes. 🤣
Nope said per PFF he was as good as Mahomes in 2nd half or 2020......also specefically said I think Mahomes is better.

read that until it sinks in before moving on please.

and, yes, I did say baker had more working against him in game vs Steelers in WC round...but his team went up and down field against them. Because, well, they did.

Nope said per PFF he was as good as Mahomes in 2nd half or 2020......also specefically said I think Mahomes is better.

read that until it sinks in before moving on please.

and, yes, I did say baker had more working against him in game vs Steelers in WC round...but his team went up and down field against them. Because, well, they did.

If he was as good as Mahomes in the 2nd half of the season, then he was as good as Mahomes at the time they played, right? Which is why you're claiming that he'd win if they switched places, right?

If he was as good as Mahomes in the 2nd half of the season, then he was as good as Mahomes at the time they played, right? Which is why you're claiming that he'd win if they switched places, right?
I'm claiming he'd win if they switched places because Baker would have the guys running free to throw to and Mahomes would be pressured more and would have to throw to covered receivers. You realize the Browns' D is pretty bad, right? They had one guy who started who was supposed to start going into the season in the secondary. we knew the LBs would be iffy at best. and they were missing their best guy on the line not named Garrett.

FYI, Browns waived one of the CBs yesterday who started in both playoff games (R. Jackson).

making my point again....Mahomes needs wide open receivers to excel?

Yep. That's why he was throwing perfect passes to covered receivers 30 yards downfield while parallel to the ground.

What's Baker need to excel btw? All I heard from you early on this season was how loaded your offense was. He had the #1 ranked O-line in the NFL, the best running game and TWO excellent RBs. The league's leading rusher from a few years back coming off the bench. One of the top TEs in the league and good WRs.

Yeah....I'll bet Mahomes would struggle mightily if they switched. 😂

Yep. That's why he was throwing perfect passes to covered receivers 30 yards downfield while parallel to the ground.

What's Baker need to excel btw? All I heard from you early on this season was how loaded your offense was. He had the #1 ranked O-line in the NFL, the best running game and TWO excellent RBs. The league's leading rusher from a few years back coming off the bench. One of the top TEs in the league and good WRs.

Yeah....I'll bet Mahomes would struggle mightily if they switched. 😂
stay focused. what covered receivers in that game was Mahomes throwing to? when they were covered (which was rare) he just threw it 10 yards in front of them at their feet.

If you didn't hear, Baker's
true #1 WR did not play against KC. did you just call Austin Hooper "one of the top TEs in the league" in a discussion with Mahomes?

Ya gotta love this forum.

and with a #2 WR as his #1 and the rest of his receivers as guys who should be #3-4 (or lower) per PFF Baker played about as well as Mahomes for an entire half a season.

And this is a guy who learned a new offense like he has every year with no offseason. Not a guy who has played every season for one of the top coach/OCs in football.

You really like to exaggerate don't ya, sport? I never said he would "struggle mightily". Baker played OK considering the circumstances. But, yes, with wide open receivers and the better D, KC still wins.

I'm claiming he'd win if they switched places because Baker would have the guys running free to throw to and Mahomes would be pressured more and would have to throw to covered receivers. You realize the Browns' D is pretty bad, right? They had one guy who started who was supposed to start going into the season in the secondary. we knew the LBs would be iffy at best. and they were missing their best guy on the line not named Garrett.

FYI, Browns waived one of the CBs yesterday who started in both playoff games (R. Jackson).

Yeah...I agree that Baker would complete some more passes in that scenario. That doesn't mean he'd win the game. He wasn't dealing with any more pressure than Mahomes did in that game. Difference is that when Mahomes had to throw on the run, he made a play, and when Baker did, he threw it right to Tyrann Mathieu.

Even without their LT, he had a better line, especially in terms of run-blocking. Mahomes has the worst run-blocking in the league (not opinion--backed by stats).

KC's D allowed 358.3 yards/game. Cleveland's allowed 358.4. Big, big difference.

Yeah...I agree that Baker would complete some more passes in that scenario. That doesn't mean he'd win the game. He wasn't dealing with any more pressure than Mahomes did in that game. Difference is that when Mahomes had to throw on the run, he made a play, while the one time that Baker did, he threw it right to Tyrann Mathieu.

Even without their LT, he had a better line, especially in terms of run-blocking. Mahomes has the worst run-blocking in the league (not opinion--backed by stats).

KC's D allowed 358.3 yards/game. Cleveland's allowed 358.4. Big, big difference.
Not dealing with more pressure? Maybe not right away but Baker needed more times as his receivers were not getting separation like Mahomes. I really have to question if you watched to make some of the comments you did.

why was he without his LT? Fisher played in the game against the Browns.

FYI, with a tougher schedule KC gave up only 362 points to the Browns 419. last I checked, points mean a bit more than yards for a defense. are you really suggesting the KC D for that game did not have more talent? I'm not making this up...Browns started all of 1 guy who they planned to start as a DB in that game. They had all of one guy who KC needed to worry about to pressure the passer.

Browns had a great run O. That might matter had the D not made it impossible to stay close and run for much of the game (do agree they might have given up on it more than they should have).

if you really think Mahomes did not have a much easier time finding open receivers then you just didn't watch. And that's cool. Just say so.

Not dealing with more pressure? Maybe not right away but Baker needed more times as his receivers were not getting separation like Mahomes. I really have to question if you watched to make some of the comments you did.

why was he without his LT? Fisher played in the game against the Browns.

FYI, with a tougher schedule KC gave up only 362 points to the Browns 419. last I checked, points mean a bit more than yards for a defense. are you really suggesting the KC D for that game did not have more talent? I'm not making this up...Browns started all of 1 guy who they planned to start as a DB in that game. They had all of one guy who KC needed to worry about to pressure the passer.

Browns had a great run O. That might matter had the D not made it impossible to stay close and run for much of the game (do agree they might have given up on it more than they should have).

if you really think Mahomes did not have a much easier time finding open receivers then you just didn't watch. And that's cool. Just say so.

Yeah, he had more open receivers. And your RBs had far bigger holes to run through. KC has the worst run-blocking in the league. It's literally harder for them to pick up a first down on 3rd and 1 than 3rd and 15. All anyone focuses on is that Mahomes has a few really good receiving weapons. Yeah, of course he does. But there's no balance. They can't run up the middle and don't even try to. Everyone knows they're going to be one-dimensional and pass on every down. And the pass protection was mostly awful this year. Not as bad as in the SB, but often not a lot better. To act like Mahomes has everything you could want is a joke. And it's a joke to act like Mayfield doesn't benefit greatly from that line and running game.

If Mahomes QBed the Browns that day and Mayfield went down mid-3rd quarter, Mahomes wins that game without a doubt. Probably comfortably.

wow.....AB and Gronk are still great?

Maybe the Browns can bring in Warfield and Ozzie next season.

Nah, they suck. They just combined for 3 TDs and over half the team's receptions in the SB.

Also, Tampa became the Vegas favorites after adding Gronk last year. Because, y'know, he sucks.

Nah, they suck. They just combined for 3 TDs and over half the team's receptions in the SB.

Also, Tampa became the Vegas favorites after adding Gronk last year. Because, y'know, he sucks.
No they weren't

Kansas City Chiefs+600
Baltimore Ravens+650
New Orleans Saints+1000
San Francisco 49ers+1000
Tampa Bay Buccaneers+1200
Dallas Cowboys+1400
Seattle Seahawks+1600
Indianapolis Colts+2000
New England Patriots+2200
Philadelphia Eagles+2200
Buffalo Bills+2500
Green Bay Packers+2500
Minnesota Vikings+2500
Pittsburgh Steelers+2500
Tennessee Titans+3300
Cleveland Browns+4000
Arizona Cardinals+5000
Atlanta Falcons+5000
Chicago Bears+5000
Denver Broncos+5000
Los Angeles Chargers+5000
Los Angeles Rams+6000
Detroit Lions+6600
Houston Texans+7000
Las Vegas Raiders+8000
New York Giants+10000
New York Jets+12500
Carolina Panthers+15000
Cincinnati Bengals+15000
Miami Dolphins+15000
Washington+25000
Jacksonville Jaguars+30000

Yeah, he had more open receivers. And your RBs had far bigger holes to run through. KC has the worst run-blocking in the league. It's literally harder for them to pick up a first down on 3rd and 1 than 3rd and 15. All anyone focuses on is that Mahomes has a few really good receiving weapons. Yeah, of course he does. But there's no balance. They can't run up the middle and don't even try to. Everyone knows they're going to be one-dimensional and pass on every down. And the pass protection was mostly awful this year. Not as bad as in the SB, but often not a lot better. To act like Mahomes has everything you could want is a joke. And it's a joke to act like Mayfield doesn't benefit greatly from that line and running game.

If Mahomes QBed the Browns that day and Mayfield went down mid-3rd quarter, Mahomes wins that game without a doubt. Probably comfortably.
stay focused if you are able. I stated Mahomes was throwing to wide open receivers with easy pitch and catch throws in the game and Baker was forced to complete passes into tight windows as his receivers could not get separation.

Is there a reason you must exaggerate so often on what others say to try and make your point? "Mahomes has everything you you could want"......."Brady was the only reason Bucs won", etc

I said exactly what I said. Not what you claimed I said (and never did).

and there ya go again. No one said they sucked. They are decent. Certainly not the 2016-17 version of themselves you seem to think, though.

But you can go ahead and get the last word in if you want.

Right? I don't think anyone here thinks Brady was the sole reason Tampa won and knows the D played a huge role (maybe more than Brady).

Weird. That sounds pretty similar to what I've said, yet for some reason the Brady ballwashers are crawling out of the woodwork with pitchforks.

and there ya go again. No one said they sucked. They are decent. Certainly not the 2016-17 version of themselves you seem to think, though.

But you can go ahead and get the last word in if you want.

So you put words in my mouth and then whine about me putting words in your mouth. 😂

Did I say they were great? Did I say they're in their prime?

I said they scored all the receiving TDs in the SB and had over half the receiving yards. Kind of absurd to downplay their impact. Anyone can figure out that adding players of their caliber to two elite WRs, plus a top O-line, is going to equal lots of open targets.

Who cares if Gronk took a year off. He's clearly still a solid player. And to say that Brown wasn't desired is ridiculous. His situation obviously had nothing to do with his ability.

No they weren't

Kansas City Chiefs+600
Baltimore Ravens+650
New Orleans Saints+1000
San Francisco 49ers+1000
Tampa Bay Buccaneers+1200
Dallas Cowboys+1400
Seattle Seahawks+1600
Indianapolis Colts+2000
New England Patriots+2200
Philadelphia Eagles+2200
Buffalo Bills+2500
Green Bay Packers+2500
Minnesota Vikings+2500
Pittsburgh Steelers+2500
Tennessee Titans+3300
Cleveland Browns+4000
Arizona Cardinals+5000
Atlanta Falcons+5000
Chicago Bears+5000
Denver Broncos+5000
Los Angeles Chargers+5000
Los Angeles Rams+6000
Detroit Lions+6600
Houston Texans+7000
Las Vegas Raiders+8000
New York Giants+10000
New York Jets+12500
Carolina Panthers+15000
Cincinnati Bengals+15000
Miami Dolphins+15000
Washington+25000
Jacksonville Jaguars+30000

Prior to the draft, and right after adding Gronk, they were Vegas favorites by some books.

Last edited:
Oh God yes let's start blaming the officials now.

giphy.gif

It's a valid point. Even Simms pointed out how ridiculous it was to see not just a flurry of questionable calls, but calls that weren't being made all postseason. And he played for the Bucs.

How does Brady get 27 PI calls this season while KC gets 4? 25 teams had 11 or less.

Here's something else to chew on...

Penalties in Montana's 4 SBs:

Montana's team 18-145
Opponents 16-132

Penalties in the last 4 Brady SBs

Brady's team 11-87
Opponents 35-285

Which one doesn't belong?

It's a valid point. Even Simms pointed out how ridiculous it was to see not just a flurry of questionable calls, but calls that weren't being made all postseason. And he played for the Bucs.

How does Brady get 27 PI calls this season while KC gets 4? 25 teams had 11 or less.

Here's something else to chew on...

Penalties in Montana's 4 SBs:

Montana's team 18-145
Opponents 16-132

Penalties in the last 4 Brady SBs

Brady's team 11-87
Opponents 35-285

Which one doesn't belong?
Lol you got fvcked by a couple bad calls against Brady? Welcome to the party, pal. RollLaugh

Reactions: Noahtogo24
Lol you got fvcked by a couple bad calls against Brady? Welcome to the party, pal. RollLaugh

And yet everyone sucks his dong.

It may not have affected the outcome, but they practically handed him two TDs and wiped away a turnover.

His SB opponents have had more than three times as many penalties and penalty yds. Montana's teams had more penalties than their opponents.

All of his SBs until this were decided by one score. It's not crazy to think that a huge penalty disparity has had an impact in at least some of those games. One frivolous penalty kept KC out of the SB two years ago.

No they were not. The Chiefs were always the favorite. Show me what offshore book had TB as a favorite

https://www.essentiallysports.com/n...rs-no-longer-favorites-to-win-the-super-bowl/

Tampa Bay Buccaneers No Longer Favorites To Win The Super Bowl

As per the video, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were 9/1 to win the Super Bowl. This is because they traded for tight end Robert Gronkowski from The New England Patriots. The move reunited him with Tom Brady with whom he had won 3 Super Bowls. Tom Brady’s arrival signaled a change in fortune as they saw a league icon replace Jameis Winston.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/n...rs-no-longer-favorites-to-win-the-super-bowl/

Tampa Bay Buccaneers No Longer Favorites To Win The Super Bowl

As per the video, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were 9/1 to win the Super Bowl. This is because they traded for tight end Robert Gronkowski from The New England Patriots. The move reunited him with Tom Brady with whom he had won 3 Super Bowls. Tom Brady’s arrival signaled a change in fortune as they saw a league icon replace Jameis Winston.
So they weren’t favorites? You’re a fvcking moron. Time to change handles again.

I fvcked up and quoted the wrong post
I'm done replying him in this one but this is getting comical to read still. I cannot look away. TB at 9-1 was his proof they were the favorite?

Ya gotta love this forum.

Caesars adjusted the Bucs’ win total from 9 (Over -125) to 9.5 following the Gronk news. Director of Trading Jeff Davis reported a “respected” bet on the Over 9 win total. Tampa Bay’s Super Bowl odds moved from 17/1 to 14/1. Davis said, “I was going to leave Super Bowl at 17/1, but we took a bet on it almost immediately.” The Bucs’ odds to win the NFC went from 8/1 to 7/1.

Interestingly, the Saints remained the favorite to win the NFC South, falling slightly from -120 to -105. Tampa Bay jumped up from + 175 to + 150.

The Bucs are now tied with the Saints and Seahawks for the fifth-best Super Bowl odds at Caesars (14/1), trailing only the Kansas City Chiefs (4/1), San Francisco 49ers (7/1), Baltimore Ravens (8/1) and Dallas Cowboys (11/1).

So they weren’t favorites? You’re a fvcking moron. Time to change handles again.

Right...because I changed my handle to hide.

Some had them favored before the draft but oddsmakers didn't like their draft. Yet it had a pretty big impact on the SB.

ADVERTISEMENT