ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G In-Season Thread***

question on Kenpom ratings, looking at the ajd they have 2 numbers
taking Iowa's the 1st number is 97.4 2nd is 115, last season these were the numbers 101.3 2nd was 111th.

what is the difference?

question on Kenpom ratings, looking at the ajd they have 2 numbers
taking Iowa's the 1st number is 97.4 2nd is 115, last season these were the numbers 101.3 2nd was 111th.

what is the difference?

The first is your adj efficiency. 2nd number is the ranking (1-353 or however many damn teams we have these days)

Basically saying Iowa sucks on defense.

looking @ the BPI there are 10 BT teams in their top 40, but what I don't understand is the 31-33 are these
#31 Iowa
#32 Michigan
#33 Illinois

shouldn't Michigan be rated higher than the 30's. more like 15-20 or am I wrong by thinking that they should be ranked Higher? Kenpom has Iowa at #30. Michigan @#12.

Have not read the past 5 pages. What’s happening?
I think we went a little while with no posts because everyone's eyes were bleeding from watching the IU/UConn game. Evidently over the first 12 minutes of the 2nd half, UConn outscored IU 9-4.

Thankfully I was watching the President's Cup coverage for most of it so I avoided the misery

Exactly. Because we certainly didn't hear all off season about how many more shooters Purdue was going to have this year. We did NOT hear that.
Yep. Both those guys who said that were expecting Wheeler to not shit the bed and Boudreaux to be closer to last year's numbers. If they were just at the level they were last year, Purdue would be at a respectable 36%. Both are getting good looks. They just haven't been able to see the ball go in the hoop.

Unfortunately, they are a combined 11-47 after shooting 37% and 35% respectively last year.

Yep. Both those guys who said that were expecting Wheeler to not shit the bed and Boudreaux to be closer to last year's numbers. If they were just at the level they were last year, Purdue would be at a respectable 36%. Both are getting good looks. They just haven't been able to see the ball go in the hoop.

Unfortunately, they are a combined 11-47 after shooting 37% and 35% respectively last year.
Yeah, more than two Purdue fans were in on this.

Reactions: HoosierstuckinIowa

Now do that for Hunter, Haarms, and Stefanovic.

Reactions: SNU0821

Wheeler is really, really struggling in just about every phase of the game except hitting the glass. I don't see his perimeter passing issues (he has no idea what to do when he gets the ball on the perimeter right now) or his ball handling improving materially this year, but hopefully the 3 pt shot comes around. Would like to see us get him in some more ball screen action to get him some of those rhythm 3s that he was really comfortable with last year.

Now do that for Hunter, Haarms, and Stefanovic.
All guys that one could reasonably be expected to improve?

Haarms is shooting the same percentage he shot in conference play last year.

Hunter was a very good shooter in high school and was in over his head as a freshman and played inconsistent minutes so struggled to get in a rhythm. He's at a not unreasonable 34% this year.

Sasha was very good last year as a redshirt freshman (41%) and has taken that to 44% this season. That improvement equates to about 1.5 more made threes on the season.

Did you guys play them?

Just the secret scrimmage in Oct or whenever it was. Not during the regular season. I haven't watched them either so no idea what they look like. We beat them by 20 or so in the scrimmage from what I've seen.

Reactions: hawkit3113
Just the secret scrimmage in Oct or whenever it was. Not during the regular season. I haven't watched them either so no idea what they look like. We beat them by 20 or so in the scrimmage from what I've seen.

They beat Seton Hall, but at this point, I think Seton Hall probably sucks

Reactions: jwardelt
All guys that one could reasonably be expected to improve?

Haarms is shooting the same percentage he shot in conference play last year.

Hunter was a very good shooter in high school and was in over his head as a freshman and played inconsistent minutes so struggled to get in a rhythm. He's at a not unreasonable 34% this year.

Sasha was very good last year as a redshirt freshman (41%) and has taken that to 44% this season. That improvement equates to about 1.5 more made threes on the season.

Yes, it's reasonable to expect that everyone either shoots the same or improves. No homerism in that logic. Good talk.

Yes, it's reasonable to expect that everyone either shoots the same or improves. No homerism in that logic. Good talk.

That's certainly been the case at Purdue more often than not the last several years, particularly guys from their 1st year to their 2nd. There are exceptions (Carsen last year) but they are often attributed to legit reasons (he played a big chunk of the Big Ten season with a back issue).

Plus, drops in percentage usually equate to a few makes over the course of an entire season. Wheeler and Boudreaux have dropped like a rock.

Here are the percentages by year for the last 8 Purdue players who completed their eligibility or went pro early:

Carsen Edwards - 34.0%, 40.6%, 35.5%
Ryan Cline - 38.5%, 41.3%, 39.6%, 41.7%
Vince Edwards - 32.6%, 40.7%, 42.3%, 39.8%
Dakota Mathias - 32.2%, 38.6%, 45.3%, 46.6%
PJ Thompson - 28.6%, 41.5%, 40.2%, 44.1%
Caleb Swanigan - 29.2%, 44.7%
Raphael Davis - 30.3%, 27.3%, 30.0%, 35.5%
Terone Johnson - 29.3%, 31.0%, 34.6%, 35.2%

Only Davis didn't improve from Freshman to sophomore year and it was a single miss on the same number of attempts.

It's strange how you search for things to challenge people on.

That's certainly been the case at Purdue more often than not the last several years, particularly guys from their 1st year to their 2nd. There are exceptions (Carsen last year) but they are often attributed to legit reasons (he played a big chunk of the Big Ten season with a back issue).

Plus, drops in percentage usually equate to a few makes over the course of an entire season. Wheeler and Boudreaux have dropped like a rock.

Here are the percentages by year for the last 8 Purdue players who completed their eligibility or went pro early:

Only Davis didn't improve from Freshman to sophomore year and it was a single miss on the same number of attempts.

That chart is suppose to prove that no Purdue players ever shoot worse than they shot the year before?

It's strange that you believe that.

You listed 8 players and 5 of them had a year where they shot worse than the previous year.

And yet somehow it’s absurd and a total outlier that any Purdue players are shooting worse than last year in your mind.

Stop being a homer.

Underrated win by Indiana in a practical home game for UConn last night.

I’m glad they finally have their shit together I’m getting nostalgic for a good Hoosier squad

Reactions: SNU0821
You listed 8 players and 5 of them had a year where they shot worse than the previous year.

And yet somehow it’s absurd and a total outlier that any Purdue players are shooting worse than last year in your mind.

Stop being a homer.
this is not a Purdue problem as it occurs with other teams, defenses change from year to year where they put more emphasis on certain players.

Jordan for Iowa shot 43% from 3 as a SO then he shot 38.3% from 3 as a JR, the main reason was he became the focal point of the defense.

to single out just the Purdue players is shall we say simple minded just to be polite.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT