ADVERTISEMENT

Most Viewed Champions Classic Game (last 5 years)

Give me a little proof that Duke has a following. One damned piece of proof.

Geeze, it should not be this hard.

You keep telling me that Duke has the biggest following on earth and there is not one damned piece of proof.
I think the point of the thread was that they’re the most viewed CBB team in the Champion’s Classic. I think you’re the only one talking about attendance numbers and fan base.

Not at all.

Duke ain't in the running for basketball following:

Rank School average

1. Kentucky 21,874
2. Syracuse 21,462
3. North Carolina 18,378
4. Wisconsin 17,272
5. Creighton 17,000
6. Louisville 16,883
7. Kansas 16,344
8. Tennessee 16,209
9. Arkansas 16,181
10. Indiana 15,590
11. Nebraska 15,492
12. NC State 15,253
13. Missouri 15,061
14. Michigan St. 14,797
15. Maryland 14,675
16. Arizona 14,434
17. Purdue 14,343
18. BYU 14,230
19. Iowa St. 14,121
20. Virginia 13,923
21. Ohio St 13,495
22. Alabama 13,390
23. Dayton 12,996
24. South Carolina 12,617
25. Illinois 12,613
26. Marquette 12,323
27. West Virginia 12,303
28. Iowa 12,026
29. Minnesota 11,850
30. Villanova 11,828

Where is Duke?
I love how you ignore all of the facts I’ve posted that indicate the days of Kentucky being relevant, even in Kentucky, are OVER. Honestly, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Kentucky’s shocking, dare I even say appalling, lack of fan interest directly correlates with the stunting of Louisville’s program. Kentucky was a team driven by the hate of their rival rather than actual fan hood. I think that much is factually clear.

Give me a little proof that Duke has a following. One damned piece of proof.

Geeze, it should not be this hard.

You keep telling me that Duke has the biggest following on earth and there is not one damned piece of proof.
I haven't said anything about it. Not that important to me. What I said was weak, was you posting attendance numbers as proof when Cameron seats less than 10,000. That's pretty weak.

I haven't said anything about it. Not that important to me. What I said was weak, was you posting attendance numbers as proof when Cameron seats less than 10,000. That's pretty weak.
I like Bert but he’s a stone cold capitalist who believes that more revenue in the end is the most important thing and you should do what you can to acquire it. He would tear down the Collesseum in Rome if it meant building something bigger that sold more tickets. He’ll just never understand why Kansas and Duke don’t tear down their stadiums for something bigger.

Now Albert is arguing that Duke doesn’t even have *A* following? And there hadn’t been *any* proof, despite Duke being the most expensive ticket in college basketball and the Duke/UNC game being the biggest ticket and the fact that Duke is traditionally the most watched team in the nation? And he is inventing things that people said that nobody actually said, and then arguing with THAT?

Jesus. I mean, he’s lost it. Completely and totally lost it.

I like Bert but he’s a stone cold capitalist who believes that more revenue in the end is the most important thing and you should do what you can to acquire it. He would tear down the Collesseum in Rome if it meant building something bigger that sold more tickets. He’ll just never understand why Kansas and Duke don’t tear down their stadiums for something bigger.

Never been to Kansas, although everyone says it is maybe the best arena in college b-ball.

Been to Cameron... well, for years. And I wouldn’t trade it for ANYTHING. Simple, classic, beautiful... wood and brass... no bumping NBA music, no flashy light shows... and small, loud, elite. If Duke ever tore down Cameron, alumni would lose their shit. Thankfully, Duke understands what a great building it is, and we don’t need the money for a few thousand seats.

Reactions: schoonerwest
Hah! It autocorrected “Bert” to Albert! I’m totally leaving that:)

Never been to Kansas, although everyone says it is maybe the best arena in college b-ball.

Been to Cameron... well, for years. And I wouldn’t trade it for ANYTHING. Simple, classic, beautiful... wood and brass... no bumping NBA music, no flashy light shows... and small, loud, elite. If Duke ever tore down Cameron, alumni would lose their shit. Thankfully, Duke understands what a great building it is, and we don’t need the money for a few thousand seats.
He’s been saying the same thing regarding AFH for a few years now when discussions like this come up. “If they could they would build a bigger stadium because it would bring in more money. They can’t sell out anything bigger and that’s why they don’t build a new stadium. That’s the bottom line”.

Our alumni would do the exact same thing if they planned to build a new place. I think most CBB fans would object to the idea of tearing down Cameron or Allen for something newer and bigger that had more expensive tickets.

Reactions: Quavarius
He’s been saying the same thing regarding AFH for a few years now when discussions like this come up. “If they could they would build a bigger stadium because it would bring in more money. They can’t sell out anything bigger and that’s why they don’t build a new stadium. That’s the bottom line”.

Our alumni would do the exact same thing if they planned to build a new place. I think most CBB fans would object to the idea of tearing down Cameron or Allen for something newer and bigger that had more expensive tickets.

There are things more important than extracting the very last almighty dollar from something. Some understand that. Some, judging by Alberts posts, don’t.

Also, it just HAS to happen someday in our lives where Duke and Ku have a home/home series.

If/when that happens I’m gonna spend a small fortune for tickets to Cameron, center court 20 rows up. You should do the same at Allen. Winking

Been to both more than 10+ times each. Both are fantastic places for college hoops. It’s 1A and 1A.

I don't know about largest viewed, but it was a world record crowd for basketball attendance (Basketbowl @ Ford Field: 78,129). By contrast, they had "Basketbowl II" there in 2008 between UNC-MSU and it drew a meager 25,267. Granted, that game was during the week. Whoever scheduled that was hopefully fired.

There was a snow/ice storm that night that kept a large chunk of the fans away. That drive from East Lansing and back was sketchy as hell.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I love how you ignore all of the facts I’ve posted that indicate the days of Kentucky being relevant, even in Kentucky, are OVER. Honestly, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Kentucky’s shocking, dare I even say appalling, lack of fan interest directly correlates with the stunting of Louisville’s program. Kentucky was a team driven by the hate of their rival rather than actual fan hood. I think that much is factually clear.
Nothing could be farther from the truth. Louisville was only added to the schedule in 1983, forced by the State government.

UK was great before UL and will be great afterward.

I went to UL in '68-70. Dromo was the coach. UL was a mid major program playing in the Missouri Valley Conference. There was little discussion of UK hate then as UL was not much until Crum put them on the map in the 1970's.

Sorry, but UK has massive fan interest historically, now and in the future. Kentucky will more than double the Duke attendance this year, last year and for years to come. All Kentucky games, exhibitions et.al. are on TV for only one reason there is a massive demand for them. I have all of them for the last thirty years (except the 1997 Maui game against Missouri). You can't even say that about Duke the last year.

You can live in your alternate universe thinking that Kentucky is no longer relevant if that serves you well but it does not change any of the facts.

So North Carolina and Kentucky were stupid in building larger facilities but Kansas and Duke keep their '40's outdated facilities is smart? I don't buy that for a minute.

I will say one thing in support for a smaller facility is the sight lines are better. Yum is the best basketball facility that I have ever been to and it is right at 21,000. Some of the seats in Rupp are a long way from the action. The jumbotrons become a necessity.

So North Carolina and Kentucky were stupid in building larger facilities but Kansas and Duke keep their '40's outdated facilities is smart? I don't buy that for a minute.

I will say one thing in support for a smaller facility is the sight lines are better. Yum is the best basketball facility that I have ever been to and it is right at 21,000. Some of the seats in Rupp are a long way from the action. The jumbotrons become a necessity.
Lololololololol at Allen FieldHouse being outdated. Maybe we should connect ours to a mall.

Never said Kentucky or North Carolina were dumb for expanding. I’m just saying there’s an aura that AFH and CIA have that people love and do not want to be replaced. You’ve said before it comes down to whether or not they can sell more tickets and you believe they don’t expand or build something else because they wouldn’t be able to fill the seats. Fenway Park and Wrigley Field are 2 stadiums that could be catagorized with AFH and CIA where the ambience is what people like about them. Fenway holds 37,000 people and Wrigley 41,000. Surely you believe that both teams could build something with 20,000+ more seats and still sell out regularly, right? They don’t because fans would be furious and the history/nostalgia of being there outweighs the positives of being bigger and more modern. There’s some things that people just don’t want messed with.

I don't think anyone has claimed Duke has the biggest following in terms of fans who will go see them. Also, I don't think any team fills up their place completely for every game. I know even Duke doesn't fill up CIS every game. UNC certainly doesn't either. I would beat there are UK games with some empty seats. I know sometimes 'figures' are funny for all places though. I think the discussion was more on their games drawing eyes (for those who love them and those who hate them).

Nothing could be farther from the truth. Louisville was only added to the schedule in 1983, forced by the State government.

UK was great before UL and will be great afterward.

I went to UL in '68-70. Dromo was the coach. UL was a mid major program playing in the Missouri Valley Conference. There was little discussion of UK hate then as UL was not much until Crum put them on the map in the 1970's.

Sorry, but UK has massive fan interest historically, now and in the future. Kentucky will more than double the Duke attendance this year, last year and for years to come. All Kentucky games, exhibitions et.al. are on TV for only one reason there is a massive demand for them. I have all of them for the last thirty years (except the 1997 Maui game against Missouri). You can't even say that about Duke the last year.

You can live in your alternate universe thinking that Kentucky is no longer relevant if that serves you well but it does not change any of the facts.
Bert, here you go again. No one said Kentucky isn’t relevant. They are one of the few big boys. But whether you want to admit it or not, Duke is too. No matter how many more seats Rupp holds.
But I stand by my claim that Duke is the biggest sell. No matter where they go, or who they play, people will fill the arena.

If you don’t believe it, watch Sportscenter when Duke loses. They will be the lead story.

Bert, here you go again. No one said Kentucky isn’t relevant. They are one of the few big boys.

Maybe I can't read correctly, but please tell me what WojoRising means below?:
I love how you ignore all of the facts I’ve posted that indicate the days of Kentucky being relevant, even in Kentucky, are OVER.

No sir, UK did not tear down Memorial Coliseum. They reduced the seating from 12,500 to 8,000. The girls play there a lot. I understand why Duke does not build a large facility in Durham.

You guys are tying to win an illogical argument. Sorry.

Maybe I can't read correctly, but please tell me what WojoRising means below?:

No sir, UK did not tear down Memorial Coliseum. They reduced the seating from 12,500 to 8,000. The girls play there a lot. I understand why Duke does not build a large facility in Durham.

You guys are tying to win an illogical argument. Sorry.

That illogical argument?

That Duke has a following.

That's what Bert says isn't true.

It’s honestly terrifying more than anything that you can’t decipher the fact that I’m joking.

Joke is on them if they waited til 20 minutes left in 2nd. I turned it off 5 minutes into 1st.

Jokes on them for paying to go in the first place. We all knew K was going to put the worst defeat on Cal in his entire coaching career.

On second though maybe U.K. fans wanted to say they witnessed history.

Jokes on them for paying to go in the first place. We all knew K was going to put the worst defeat on Cal in his entire coaching career.

On second though maybe U.K. fans wanted to say they witnessed history.

Yea it sucked but the thing about that is... Duke really hasn’t won’t shit. Could easily bomb out 2nd or 3rd round and that’s that. In fact, I expect it.

Question. Why did Duke Twitter mention most watched in past 5 years and only list 3 games?

Yea it sucked but the thing about that is... Duke really hasn’t won’t shit. Could easily bomb out 2nd or 3rd round and that’s that. In fact, I expect it.

That’s fair. You probably hope it happens more than you expect it to happen. But that’s what it’s all about. It’s a long season which is what has me more excited than anything else. This team could be really damn special.

They will take their losses, perhaps to Auburn Tuesday? But the season doesn’t end and I think this Duke team will be fine come April.

Did you attend the champions classic? I personally did not.

That’s fair. You probably hope it happens more than you expect it to happen. But that’s what it’s all about. It’s a long season which is what has me more excited than anything else. This team could be really damn special.

They will take their losses, perhaps to Auburn Tuesday? But the season doesn’t end and I think this Duke team will be fine come April.

Did you attend the champions classic? I personally did not.

Considered it. I’m glad I didn’t. Dealing with Indiana drivers for two hours on way home after that game would not have been a good outcome for anybody.

ADVERTISEMENT