ADVERTISEMENT

Most Viewed Champions Classic Game (last 5 years)

Quavarius

Aug 12, 2009
I mean, I know it doesn’t compare to all of the eyes that watched the Wofford/Elon game, but still, not too shabby. Has those numbers come in yet?

Reactions: dukedevilz
I think its painfully obvious Duke is #1 is relevance. They are the premier program in college basketball today.

Yeap. Duke is the biggest pull in college basketball. That is why 90% of the fans at the Duke UK game were Kentucky.

Don't take my word for it listen to Jay.
90% anti duke yes. But it wasn't 90% UK fans. I'd say it was around 50% to 60% UK fans. Followed by KU, then fans of teams not in it, then Duke, with the lowest % being MSU fans.

Which shouldn't be surprising considering how well UK fans travel and because it was right next door to Lexington.

But now about 5 mins into the second half I'd say there was less than 3% UK fans there.

Last edited:
90% anti duke yes. But it wasn't 90% UK fans. I'd say it was around 50% to 60% UK fans. Followed by KU, then fans of teams not in it, then Duke, with the lowest % being MSU fans.

Which shouldn't be surprising considering how well UK fans travel and because it was right next door to Lexington.

But now about 5 mins into the second half I'd say there was less than 3% UK fans there.
I suggest you go back on your DVR and listen to the ESPN guys, especially Jay Bilas at the start of the game. Jay stated it was 80 or 90% Kentucky.

No school has a following like Kentucky. You non-kentucky fan can't stand it but it is a fact.

Reactions: catman111
If it were reversed would you have stayed for the entire game?

I just don't get the duke claims to a large fan base when there has never been any evidence to show it.
I’m not sure about which schools fan base is the largest, but I don’t think there’s a debate that Duke draws the most interest.

Reactions: KisteK
Q must have a very big truck.
tenor.gif

Insecure Fan Award all but locked up.

Oh I buy that, but the sell out is not duke fans.

Duke is a great basketball program that fields great teams; however, their following by Duke fans is not great.
They may not have the amount of fans as some of the schools with bigger alumni bases but I think the point of the OP was to point out that people seem to watch them more than the other teams in the CC. You don’t have to be a fan of any school to tune in.

They may not have the amount of fans as some of the schools with bigger alumni bases but I think the point of the OP was to point out that people seem to watch them more than the other teams in the CC. You don’t have to be a fan of any school to tune in.

Thanks @schoonerwest

Bert wanted to change the subject real quick. Not sure why.

Reactions: schoonerwest
Bert, I like you, and enjoy what you post. But “no one buys their tickets?” Wherever they play is sold out.

Bert is senile. Duke games are consistently among the most highly rated in history. Duke has a national “brand” that is nearly the most valuable in the game, boosted of course by K himself. Dukes social media footprint dwarfs most other major programs. Dukes fan base might not be as dense as Kentucky’s of course, due to geography and the public/private, large/small, elite/not elite contrast, and Kentucky fans are intense like nobody else (both as a positive and as a negative) but to try to argue that somehow Duke fans or something right now can’t compare to Kentucky... well, only a senile old man living in a tiny little town in the mountains of Kentucky would think that. Most of the rest of the world sees it with a bit of a broader understanding.

I always wonder how they come up with those figures. Does it count if someone flips the channel to ESPN for a split second while they are in between Roseanne re-runs?

Edit: Googled it. Nielson Rating. I'm sure that's 100% accurate. Laughing

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I always wonder how they come up with those figures. Does it count if someone flips the channel to ESPN for a split second while they are in between Roseanne re-runs?

If it isn’t, it is still likely equally inaccurate for all, and about the most accurate we have at all.

Reactions: tw3301
I mean, people watch Duke to see them lose, just like they do for other big programs. Congrats on people hating you the most right now I guess. I get there is some sort of pride in that. Just seems a weird thing to obsess over.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha

unfortunately for you the 100% rate of U.K. fans leaving mid game still stands. You were part of that bunch so you should be able to confirm.

I mean, people watch Duke to see them lose, just like they do for other big programs. Congrats on people hating you the most right now I guess. I get there is some sort of pride in that. Just seems a weird thing to obsess over.
I don't think anyone is obsessing over it but you're right, fans and haters tune in in a big way. It is what it is.

I don't think anyone is obsessing over it but you're right, fans and haters tune in in a big way. It is what it is.

Well, I think one is obsessing over it, haha. I hear you though. I'm a little different than most. I seldom watch Duke until ACC play. I watched some of the first half of the UK game. I just have no interest in watching Duke or State win so unless I think they may lose don't watch (obviously a lot easier with State than with Duke, lol).

Well, I think one is obsessing over it, haha. I hear you though. I'm a little different than most. I seldom watch Duke until ACC play. I watched some of the first half of the UK game. I just have no interest in watching Duke or State win so unless I think they may lose don't watch (obviously a lot easier with State than with Duke, lol).
No I get it, I only turn on UNC games if it looks like they're going to lose. Why watch your rival beat the piss out of someone?

No I get it, I only turn on UNC games if it looks like they're going to lose. Why watch your rival beat the piss out of someone?

Yeah, I'm right there with you. The only exception is if UNC is playing Duke. Even if it is bad I watch, usually with some buddies who are Duke fans, lol.

ADVERTISEMENT