ADVERTISEMENT

Who are the golfers here and how do you shoot?

Better than 3PTPAR
much rather have a 3 putt par. It means you drove the green. And if you drove the green its not like you are trying to cozy up to the pin. Good chance you are in 3 pt territory if you drive a green.

3 putt bogey means you go there in regulation, maybe even with a lofted club. Odds are you are squarely in 2 putt range with a hopeful shot at birdie. 3 putting in that situation feels much worse.

* not that I've ever had a 3 putt par in my life, just guessing at how it feels lol.

It's brutal. I've only had a couple. I don't get many eagle opportunities and to not even make birdie....
my wife of all people had one and she's a beginner. It was one of her first rounds. very short par 3, tees way up for ladies. She hit her best drive ever and drove the green, about 20 feet past the pin. Downhill putt, she hit it 20 feet past the pin. Next putt, hit that a good 10 feet past the pin. Then past the pin again on the way back. At that point I just picked her ball up and gave her the par.

Played in our annual Memorial Day Scramble at the club. Damn good golfers in it. I'm an 11 HCP and am a mid-pack D player. Several plus HCP's among the A's and the club pro (who plays as a 0). My team ended up going to a playoff against a team led by our club pro. Both teams ended up with essentially the same 10 footer for birdie. I was the first guy up and drained it. The opposing team (including the club pro) all missed.

Ended up pocketing about $340 yesterday. It was a good day.
Bullshit.

• Haha
Reactions: winin11 and tw3301
Bullshit.
200w.gif

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Got in a couple rounds this weekend. First up played a nice redone muni course a few minutes from my house. Struggled with the driver only hitting 2 fairways all day (usually I'm north of 50% on that), but played pretty well otherwise. Birdied 2 par5s on the front, but followed both up with double bogeys. finished with an 85.

Yesterday played in Scotland. Not really, but basically. 58 degrees, no sun and 25 mph wind on a course built atop an old landfill so no protection from the elements. And it poured the day before so no run in the fairways. Much better with the driver as the draw came back, but ball striking was awful in those conditions with my bad back. Fat shots, thin shots, skulled greenside chips, topped drive. All in all, I drained a 25 foot putt on 18 to save a 98 lol.

After 6 rounds my index is 12.8 so looks like I'll be getting a good amount of strokes on my golf trip next week.
You would fit in with the group I play with!

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Here is my itinerary for this week...

Thursday: Lunch at Shapiros in Indy followed by a round at The Fort followed by dinner at St Elmo's steakhouse and then stay overnight in Indy

Friday: Donald Ross course in French Lick followed by dinner at Hagans in the Clubhouse

Saturday; Morning round at the Valley Links course at French lick, late afternoon round at Pete Dye Golf Course. dinner at Larry Bird sports bar most likely or somewhere where they have the hockey game on

Sunday: Sultan's run followed by drive to Indy, dinner at Shapiros and then pack up a bunch of corned beef and pastrami to bring back to Chicago

10 person trip, teams of two. best ball format. Big trophy (the Kringle Cup) on the line.

Here is my itinerary for this week...

Thursday: Lunch at Shapiros in Indy followed by a round at The Fort followed by dinner at St Elmo's steakhouse and then stay overnight in Indy

Friday: Donald Ross course in French Lick followed by dinner at Hagans in the Clubhouse

Saturday; Morning round at the Valley Links course at French lick, late afternoon round at Pete Dye Golf Course. dinner at Larry Bird sports bar most likely or somewhere where they have the hockey game on

Sunday: Sultan's run followed by drive to Indy, dinner at Shapiros and then pack up a bunch of corned beef and pastrami to bring back to Chicago

10 person trip, teams of two. best ball format. Big trophy (the Kringle Cup) on the line.
Tentatively taking clients to Ross later in the summer. Let me know what you think.

Not a Fort fan but like your dining choices.

Tentatively taking clients to Ross later in the summer. Let me know what you think.

Not a Fort fan but like your dining choices.

This is my 3rd trip to French Lick so I’ve played Ross and Pete Dye a couple times already. Both fantastic courses.

Wow, I played the university club course in Lexington, KY yesterday. This is where UK plays their home matches. Worst greens I have ever stepped foot on. They are extremely slow, which is fine, but they are pitted, diseased and seem to have never been rolled. Your ball hops and pinballs all the way to the hole.

Surprisingly I only 3 putted twice, but I am extremely disappointed. This is supposed to be an SEC caliber course, the greens looked like they belonged on a municipal course that had no funding.
Also, stay the hell out of the bunkers. They put 1/2" of sand over hard clay. Good luck hitting out of their greenside bunkers.

The rest of the course was fairly challenging though. Fairways looked good and the rough is tough to hit out of, I like that. Lot's of water to navigate around.

Wow, I played the university club course in Lexington, KY yesterday. This is where UK plays their home matches. Worst greens I have ever stepped foot on. They are extremely slow, which is fine, but they are pitted, diseased and seem to have never been rolled. Your ball hops and pinballs all the way to the hole.

Surprisingly I only 3 putted twice, but I am extremely disappointed. This is supposed to be an SEC caliber course, the greens looked like they belonged on a municipal course that had no funding.
Also, stay the hell out of the bunkers. They put 1/2" of sand over hard clay. Good luck hitting out of their greenside bunkers.

The rest of the course was fairly challenging though. Fairways looked good and the rough is tough to hit out of, I like that. Lot's of water to navigate around.
Did you play big blue or wildcat course? Big blue is a much better course in my opinion and usually in pretty good shape. I live about 20-30 minutes from there and have played both a good bit

Did you play big blue or wildcat course? Big blue is a much better course in my opinion and usually in pretty good shape. I live about 20-30 minutes from there and have played both a good bit
It was Big Blue. The 2 guys we were paired with confirmed it was the course the golf teams play their matches on.
It was the first time I ever played it and I'm not sure I'll ever go back. The greens were that bad.
I was on a golf trip in Northern MI last weekend, 3 courses and they all had well manicured, fast greens, they were great. These greens yesterday were just awful.

Screenshot-20240609-232627-Messages.jpg

It's pretty frustrating to play on a course when the greens are crap. Kind of cheapens the entire experience.

It was Big Blue. The 2 guys we were paired with confirmed it was the course the golf teams play their matches on.
It was the first time I ever played it and I'm not sure I'll ever go back. The greens were that bad.
I was on a golf trip in Northern MI last weekend, 3 courses and they all had well manicured, fast greens, they were great. These greens yesterday were just awful.

Screenshot-20240609-232627-Messages.jpg
Wow. I’ve never seen it that bad. Guess I won’t be calling for a tee time any time soon then. We are planning a Dale Hollow trip for October. Have you played Belterra? If not I highly recommend it

Wow. I’ve never seen it that bad. Guess I won’t be calling for a tee time any time soon then. We are planning a Dale Hollow trip for October. Have you played Belterra? If not I highly recommend it
I'll have to try Belterra.

If you want a really challenging course, come on up to Florence and try Lassing Pointe. It’s at Ryle HS. Hell of a course.

My favorite course that the average guy can play, is Arcadia Bluffs in Northern Michigan. Look it up, it's incredible. You’re looking diwnon lake Michigan.

I wish I took pictures of the greens at the Big Blue course, the flaws in those greens are bad enough to show up in pictures.

Reactions: Blueheart32

If you want a really challenging course, come on up to Florence and try Lassing Pointe. It’s at Ryle HS. Hell of a course.

My favorite course that the average guy can play, is Arcadia Bluffs in Northern Michigan. Look it up, it's incredible. You’re looking diwnon lake Michigan.

I wish I took pictures of the greens at the Big Blue course, the flaws in those greens are bad enough to show up in pictures.
I've played the Cincinnati Reds Foundation outing at Belterra a few times. Great course.

I haven't played Lassing Pointe in more than 20 years. Need to get back down there.

Got back from my golf trip last night. Fantastic time. Unfortunately my back did not hold up and I couldn't finish the round at the best course we played and then struggled to play the next and final day of the trip. here is a breakdown:

Day 1: lunch at Shapiros. So good. If you are ever in Indy you must go there. Best corned beef and pastrami around, even better than any you can find in Chicago. Then we played The Fort. Very nice course to play on the travel day. Great way to get everyone's feet wet. I played pretty good considering I spent 3 hours in the car prior to the round. Shot an 88.

Dinner was at the famous St Elmo's steakhouse. It was good, but I would say it was average at best compared to fancy steakhouses in Chicago. Steak was great, but the sides and apps were not up to the standard I would expect at a fancy steakhouse.

Day 2: Drove to French Lick. Afternoon round at Donald Ross. Amazing course, some of the toughest greens you'll ever play. This was my 3rd time playing it so knew what to expect. 2 club wind most of the day. Played my best round of the weekend and finished with an 85, my first time breaking 90 at this course. Dinner was at Hagans in teh clubhouse. Great ribs.

Day 3: 18 hole scramble at Valley Links. Its' a 9 hole course next to hotel, but we played it twice. I played pretty good, had a great up and down for eagle where I hit a 190 yard hybrid to 40 feet and then drained the putt. Had lunnhc and then a 20 minute rest before heading to the famous Pete Dye course for 4:00 round. My back said "Fvck you" to me and decided to call it quits. Lots of throbbing pain in lower back and also sciatic pain going down leg. Game fell apart and when that does it always leads to uncontrolled hozzle shanks. Had about 8 of them before I finally called it quits on #17 tee box. I was tracking for 100+ and they gave me a 102 which was generous.

Dinner at Legendz sports bar, one of the only halfway decent places to eat in town.

Day 4: final round at Sultan's Run. Love this course. But, I gave myself a 30% chance of finishing. i was hapy that I was able to finish, but my back continued to be a mess and I had about 6 shanks. Several other fat shots because that is the only way I can recover from the shanks. Finished with a 96, but was just happy I finished.

A great trip, great bunch of guys. Only knew 2 of the guys going in, met the other 6 there and by day 2 we were all buddies. Already talks about next year's plans. Wish my back held up, but it is what it is. This is my 3rd trip to French Lick and the 2nd time my back stopped me from playing. Might have to axe French Lick from the rotation. Thinking maybe all the driving is leading to the quicker decline of my back as the weekend progresses.

Reactions: boilerzz

I've played that course 3 times and have never been impressed. All 3 times was with my old Duke golf bag too which got some looks.

Played Lassing once but a long time ago. I just went to Heritage Hills in Shepherdsville for the first time a few weeks ago. I will definitely be back. Very nice course

Reactions: kyjeff1
I've played that course 3 times and have never been impressed. All 3 times was with my old Duke golf bag too which got some looks.
Been there with mine too!! The day after the Duke - Ky game with the Zion team, A friend and I played Gibson Bay in Richmond and we both had on Duke gear. No one wanted to talk to us!!🤔

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Yeah, it's a wide open course, but they use thick rough and a lot of tall heather to penalize bad tee shots and you do have some holes where there are long approach shots over water that you need to stick, or it could get ugly, but my only complaint is the greens, they were awful. Hopefully it was just a temporary thing.

Got back from my golf trip last night. Fantastic time. Unfortunately my back did not hold up and I couldn't finish the round at the best course we played and then struggled to play the next and final day of the trip. here is a breakdown:

Day 1: lunch at Shapiros. So good. If you are ever in Indy you must go there. Best corned beef and pastrami around, even better than any you can find in Chicago. Then we played The Fort. Very nice course to play on the travel day. Great way to get everyone's feet wet. I played pretty good considering I spent 3 hours in the car prior to the round. Shot an 88.

Dinner was at the famous St Elmo's steakhouse. It was good, but I would say it was average at best compared to fancy steakhouses in Chicago. Steak was great, but the sides and apps were not up to the standard I would expect at a fancy steakhouse.

Day 2: Drove to French Lick. Afternoon round at Donald Ross. Amazing course, some of the toughest greens you'll ever play. This was my 3rd time playing it so knew what to expect. 2 club wind most of the day. Played my best round of the weekend and finished with an 85, my first time breaking 90 at this course. Dinner was at Hagans in teh clubhouse. Great ribs.

Day 3: 18 hole scramble at Valley Links. Its' a 9 hole course next to hotel, but we played it twice. I played pretty good, had a great up and down for eagle where I hit a 190 yard hybrid to 40 feet and then drained the putt. Had lunnhc and then a 20 minute rest before heading to the famous Pete Dye course for 4:00 round. My back said "Fvck you" to me and decided to call it quits. Lots of throbbing pain in lower back and also sciatic pain going down leg. Game fell apart and when that does it always leads to uncontrolled hozzle shanks. Had about 8 of them before I finally called it quits on #17 tee box. I was tracking for 100+ and they gave me a 102 which was generous.

Dinner at Legendz sports bar, one of the only halfway decent places to eat in town.

Day 4: final round at Sultan's Run. Love this course. But, I gave myself a 30% chance of finishing. i was hapy that I was able to finish, but my back continued to be a mess and I had about 6 shanks. Several other fat shots because that is the only way I can recover from the shanks. Finished with a 96, but was just happy I finished.

A great trip, great bunch of guys. Only knew 2 of the guys going in, met the other 6 there and by day 2 we were all buddies. Already talks about next year's plans. Wish my back held up, but it is what it is. This is my 3rd trip to French Lick and the 2nd time my back stopped me from playing. Might have to axe French Lick from the rotation. Thinking maybe all the driving is leading to the quicker decline of my back as the weekend progresses.
Have always said I think the Ross course is tougher than the Dye course. Ross greens are mercilessly if your iron distance is off just a little. The Dye course is more intimidating but depending on tees you can hit a lot of irons off the tee or use a driver and have some short irons into the green if you can manage your tee shot.

Have always said I think the Ross course is tougher than the Dye course. Ross greens are mercilessly if your iron distance is off just a little. The Dye course is more intimidating but depending on tees you can hit a lot of irons off the tee or use a driver and have some short irons into the green if you can manage your tee shot.
in the past I've scored better at Dye than Ross. This time around I had a great round at Ross, but can't compare it to Dye because my back went out for that round.

For my game I would say Ross is easier just because it's easier to find the fairway off the tee. And with my back I lose about 60% of my distance when I hit out of the rough since I swing with all arms and no trunk rotation. Plus my wedge game is very good which plays into Ross' greens.

Reactions: IUBtown
ADVERTISEMENT