ADVERTISEMENT

LeBron James

If you preach equality, then you need to practice equality. You can't change what happened in the past, and I've not seen one poster every say racism doesn't exist in this country. Would be as ignorant as you can get. However, letting blacks or minorities have advantages because they are just that is extremely counterproductive in trying to stop racism.

I agree, but I don't think anything Lebron said was racist. I also don't believe if Tom Brady or some other white athlete came out and said "I had to learn to like black people, but then realized they are not bad people" would cause this faux outrage that posters in this thread are trying to portray. Would the media probably discuss and take comments out of context? Definitely.

What advantage is Lebron gaining? He grew up in a poor, mostly black neighborhood (which was probably a function of all of the things I mentioned in my first post, including education, specific races being forced to live in certain areas, etc.) with an ex-convict father who was never around and a 16 year old mother. I'm sure he didn't have a ton of exposure to white people in general, and the community he lived in probably wasn't too fond of white people either.

https://www.businessinsider.com/lebron-james-life-story-2013-6

Unless the whole thing was satirical, then I don't think I missed the point.

"Just get over slavery already" means you are failing to comprehend the effects that are still present, over 100 years later.

As for the "if a white person said this" thing... that isn't really relevant. White people have never been discriminated against to the level of literally every other race, especially in the US.

I think the appropriate response to missing a point he kind of stumbles around is to just be thankful and take it as a positive.

I think people would not vilify the person at all. I agree they would think it was great the person came to that realization. I think what they would do is vilify that person's family and those who raised him that way. I'm ok with that for the most part tbh because I get why the DS exist. I think we are more inclined to empathize with minorities in this regard (and rightly so IMO). I think it is also naive to not recognize that the reaction would be different though. I'm not sure why it matters that much though.
So completely off topic, but you are someone who I can always talk golf with on here. And this is definitely not deserving of its own thread.

Anyways, the last couple times I've played golf, I've gotten there horrible headaches. I would almost call them migraines. I get nauseous, can't see straight, and have to lay down because I'm in such pain and discomfort. The first couple times it happened, I thought It was just because I was dehydrated and maybe drank too much. Its been a damn hot summer in Kentucky, and smoking pot and drinking beer on the golf course isn't the best choice as far as taking care of yourself. However, my brother does the exact same thing and doesn't feel bad at all afterwards.

So this most recent time I played, I didn't have a single beer or smoke at all. Drank probably 100 ounces of water, and still finished with a blistering headache. I hate to not play golf because I feel like shit afterwards, but if you have any experience with this or advice, it would be much appreciated. Regardless, probably gonna go to a doctor to see what he has to say.

So completely off topic, but you are someone who I can always talk golf with on here. And this is definitely not deserving of its own thread.

Anyways, the last couple times I've played golf, I've gotten there horrible headaches. I would almost call them migraines. I get nauseous, can't see straight, and have to lay down because I'm in such pain and discomfort. The first couple times it happened, I thought It was just because I was dehydrated and maybe drank too much. Its been a damn hot summer in Kentucky, and smoking pot and drinking beer on the golf course isn't the best choice as far as taking care of yourself. However, my brother does the exact same thing and doesn't feel bad at all afterwards.

So this most recent time I played, I didn't have a single beer or smoke at all. Drank probably 100 ounces of water, and still finished with a blistering headache. I hate to not play golf because I feel like shit afterwards, but if you have any experience with this or advice, it would be much appreciated. Regardless, probably gonna go to a doctor to see what he has to say.
Hmmm. Sounds like you just need to drink more beer and smoke more pot while you’re playing.

Hope this helps.

Hmmm. Sounds like you just need to drink more beer and smoke more pot while you’re playing.

Hope this helps.
I've always looked at golf as an excuse to get stoned and drunk on a beautiful day, because quite frankly i'm pretty bad at it. But at this point, I don't even want to get out there. I'm miserable towards the end of my round and the rest of the day after I'm done. My head is literally throbbing.

Does it correlate with your score? Winking

Reactions: JimboBBN
Please. Shortly after being named Final Four Most Outstanding Player, Donte DiVincenzo deleted his twitter account after floods of media members questioned him on a racial epithet which he wrote when he was 14 years old - nevermind that he was quoting rap lyrics. And nevermind that his best friend is Jalen Brunson... he had the appearance of racism. And he should be shamed accordingly.

That's not the same thing that you quoted, the key to which is the part about changing, but, sure, whatever, I guess.

I've always looked at golf as an excuse to get stoned and drunk on a beautiful day, because quite frankly i'm pretty bad at it. But at this point, I don't even want to get out there. I'm miserable towards the end of my round and the rest of the day after I'm done. My head is literally throbbing.
Do you get the same feeling when you do other things outdoors for extended periods of time? Like hiking, yard work, fishing, etc.?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Do you get the same feeling when you do other things outdoors for extended periods of time? Like hiking, yard work, fishing, etc.?
Nope, not like when I golf. I'll get small headaches doing some of those things, but I can still function afterwards and do things without feeling horrible. After golf, all I want to do is take medicine and sleep.

Nope, not like when I golf. I'll get small headaches doing some of those things, but I can still function afterwards and do things without feeling horrible. After golf, all I want to do is take medicine and sleep.
That's pretty odd Jimbo, no doctor, of course, but something maybe with focusing long distance then short with eyes, something in your swing. Hope it works out.

What kind of shape are you in? Just at face value it sounds like you could have some sort of vascular compromise. Do you feel chills when it hits even though its hot? History of heat stroke?

What kind of shape are you in? Just at face value it sounds like you could have some sort of vascular compromise. Do you feel chills when it hits even though its hot? History of heat stroke?
Not great shape but certainly not in poor shape. I'm only 25, doctors always tell me I'm in great health when I go in for routine visits.

I do feel chills afterwards when I get home. For example, after I get home and shower, I absolutely can't do anything but lay down and try to sleep. But I always have to put a blanket or two on my because I get cold. So odd. No history of heat stroke.

Not great shape but certainly not in poor shape. I'm only 25, doctors always tell me I'm in great health when I go in for routine visits.

I do feel chills afterwards when I get home. For example, after I get home and shower, I absolutely can't do anything but lay down and try to sleep. But I always have to put a blanket or two on my because I get cold. So odd. No history of heat stroke.
Huh..... Id def go in and get some bloodwork done. I know people that have had heat exhaustion or heat stroke just once---are super susceptible from that point on in a lot of cases.

I get migraines if I'm out in the sun for a few(+) hours without adequate eye protection.
20/20 vision, sensitive eyes tho..
Could also be heat related, but with the increased water intake, maybe not..

That's not the same thing that you quoted, the key to which is the part about changing, but, sure, whatever, I guess.

I agree that the juxtaposition of these two cases bears little resemblance. My point, however, is that if If the media is going to make an uproar about a 14-year old tweeting racist, rap lyrics from 2011, then yes, they would also make an uproar about Tom Brady/Aaron Rodgers admitting they had to adjust to black people.

If you preach equality, then you need to practice equality. You can't change what happened in the past, and I've not seen one poster every say racism doesn't exist in this country.
Why wouldn't all of us preach equality? (FTR, I prefer "equity.")
One reason anyone does is that it hasn't happened yet. It's kind of hard to practice something that isn't present other than on some pieces of paper.

Nobody says racism doesn't exist and no one has any illusions about changing the past, either. The problem is that a lot of people think it's good enough to acknowledge racism as some vague, amorphous, theoretical thing that's surely out there somewhere... but then they fight tooth-and-nail to deny every alleged instance and they are kneejerk about calling it all "the race card."

I agree that the juxtaposition of these two cases bears little resemblance. My point, however, is that if If the media is going to make an uproar about a 14-year old tweeting racist, rap lyrics from 2011, then yes, they would also make an uproar about Tom Brady/Aaron Rodgers admitting they had to adjust to black people.
That's bananas to watermelons, not apples to apples.

Reactions: Matt Laurer
Disagree entirely will all of these takes.

Sure, not everyone and everything is held to the same exact standard, but I cannot think of a single instance where anyone, and ESPECIALLY “the leftist media” would not generally support a white athlete who said they were raised around white people who distrusted or disliked black people, but now have learned better.

Might a SMALL minority not understand the point and make a big deal out of it? Sure... but I mean a tiny, tiny minority... like, a few confused folks on twitter. Like some of the guys here are doing right now, frankly.

But the media of ALL people would lionize that upstanding understanding white athlete who knows that everyone is equal and overcame his upbringing with the Trump folks;)

Your stances make no sense.

And sorry Borden, I know far too many gay people, and have far too many married gay friends, to let some idea of a magic floating guy with a beard disapproving of them guide my morals and what I do or do not accept. But I appreciate that at least you aren’t someone who would want to impose your ideas on what others do.

And yeah, I thought you were way older. Not sure why.
I don't think you understand. I really dont. I have no issue with James' comments. My point is, if a white athlete said this, the reaction would be much different. Of you do not believe that, then fine. That's cool. I respect that.
And please be a little more respectful of my choice to believe in God ...."A floating guy, with a beard"? Really? Don't be exactly what is you bitch about. A simple, " I don't believe in God would suffice.

I don't think you understand. I really dont. I have no issue with James' comments. My point is, if a white athlete said this, the reaction would be much different. Of you do not believe that, then fine. That's cool. I respect that.
And please be a little more respectful of my choice to believe in God ...."A floating guy, with a beard"? Really? Don't be exactly what is you bitch about. A simple, " I don't believe in God would suffice.

Yes, I do not believe that the leftie media would crucify the athlete. We can disagree.

And I think “floating guy with a beard” is a pretty tame take on religion in an Internet discussion, all things considered... especially when you say that people getting married “makes you sick.” Child molesters and rapists make me sick. Two gay guys or gay girls who want to dedicate themselves to each other out of love and doing a little ceremony to commemorate it? Come on now... to me, your post is far more offensive than “floating guy” (I assume the beard part is okay, what with Jesus always being pictured as having a beard...) being used to describe what some would see as modern mythology.. a mythology you seem to be saying is the cause for your being made sick and so which I assume is not terribly kind towards gays.

Anyway, sorry, not meant to offend... not sure if you will say the same.

Last edited:
Ive been pretty direct on racial issues.....esp my disdain for faux racism and the constant interjection of race into seemingly every topic. I still believe the best way/ only way to reduce it is in the home parenting and fostering the family unit. I don't agree with a lot of the progressive thinkers here......but one thing seems to be becoming more clear. We have to change the way we talk about racism on all sides. Constantly highlighting idiotic actions of white people, constantly highlighting the idiot black people---then throwing out counter examples....doesnt change anyones mind. Racism as a term has become way to broad and fighting racism with more racism isn't the answer. Covering up racism doesn't work, talking about it incessantly doesn't work. The last four years of obama and first two years of trump have been nothing but accusations by each side of racism.....and we aren't moving in the right direction.

Yes, I do not believe that the leftie media would crucify the athlete. We can disagree.

And I think “floating guy with a beard” is a pretty tame take on religion in an Internet discussion, all things considered... especially when you say that people getting married “makes you sick.” Child molesters and rapists make me sick. Two gay guys or gay girls who want to dedicate themselves to each other out of love and doing a little ceremony to commemorate it? Come on now... to me, your post is far more offensive than “floating guy” (I assume the beard part is okay, what with Jesus always being pictured as having a beard...) being used to describe what some would see as modern mythology.. a mythology you seem to be saying is the cause for your being made sick and so which I assume is not terribly kind towards gays.

Anyway, sorry, not meant to offend... not sure if you will say the same.
How did I offend you? What is so offensive about my post? I think same sex marriage is wrong. And through my faith, yes, it makes me sick. Sorry if that offends you. And now we have levels of what's offensive? Level 1 being less....5 the worse? What gives? Folks like you bellow for this right and that right. Yet turn around and chastise my right, because it doesn't agree with your right.
Pretty sure there's a word for that.

How did I offend you? What is so offensive about my post? I think same sex marriage is wrong. And through my faith, yes, it makes me sick. Sorry if that offends you. And now we have levels of what's offensive? Level 1 being less....5 the worse? What gives? Folks like you bellow for this right and that right. Yet turn around and chastise my right, because it doesn't agree with your right.
Pretty sure there's a word for that.
I think people who place their faith in an imaginary spirit and give their money to a church ripe with pedos is disgusting.

Reactions: Quavarius
constant interjection of race into seemingly every topic.
Pointing it out is not interjecting. Imagine how tired people damaged by racism are of talking about it.

I still believe the best way/ only way to reduce it is in the home parenting and fostering the family unit.
If you're suggesting there is only one way to address so complex an issue, you're part of the problem.

We have to change the way we talk about racism on all sides.
Enter systemic racism -- the existence of which you've denied -- which removes blame from the individual and focuses on deeply ingrained, society-wide bias.

Racism as a term has become way to broad
You've rejected efforts to focus the term, as mentioned above, plus when I use the term "white supremacy" in a 40+ year-old academic context, and the distinction between racial prejudice and racism, the latter being racial prejudice plus the power to use it to oppress people based on race.

How did I offend you? What is so offensive about my post? I think same sex marriage is wrong. And through my faith, yes, it makes me sick. Sorry if that offends you.
If you keep repeating it at every opportunity, your apology for the offense is pretty hollow.
His point, I believe, was that you have little credibility in being offended that someone insinuated God does not exist in mocking terms if you're going to turn around and judge others' relationships while using God to justify it.

I think people who place their faith in an imaginary spirit and give their money to a church ripe with pedos is disgusting.
I'd agree. Thankfully I don't attend a church of such. Prayers for you my friend.

If you keep repeating it at every opportunity, your apology for the offense is pretty hollow.
His point, I believe, was that you have little credibility in being offended that someone insinuated God does not exist in mocking terms if you're going to turn around and judge others' relationships while using God to justify it.
Wow. Did my response go that far over your head? I never said I was offended. I was just pointing the hyprocisy of his response. Plus, I'm not judging anyone. I never said they were bad people. I just disagree with their lifestyle

Wow. Did my response go that far over your head? I never said I was offended. I was just pointing the hyprocisy of his response. Plus, I'm not judging anyone. I never said they were bad people. I just disagree with their lifestyle
If you find someone’s lifestyles disgusting, that’s judging it. Just own your feelings.

Hmm, yeah, as soon as you started I was going to say hydration but that is obviously not it. I've had a few instances where I've played and gotten too hot and felt like you are describing. Only a very few times though (I remember once specifically because I was supposed to go to a festival that night but could not) as I generally like the heat actually. If you get too hot you can hardly drink enough water but at your age I wouldn't think that is an issue. Heck, I'm 42 and it isn't for me. I don't drink alcohol on the course but don't usually drink enough water either. To me it seems like whatever is going on with the heat or something else is draining your body of what it needs and making your body overexert itself somehow. Do you hit a ton of range balls? That is more exhausting than actually playing most of the time. I would definitely get it checked out. Could be just a vitamin deficiency or something maybe. Golf is worth it, haha.

If you find someone’s lifestyles disgusting, that’s judging it. Just own your feelings.
I'm not judging anyone. That's not my place. Just because I feel their lifestyle is wrong, doesn't mean I think they are bad people.

Pointing it out is not interjecting. Imagine how tired people damaged by racism are of talking about it.

If you're suggesting there is only one way to address so complex an issue, you're part of the problem.

Enter systemic racism -- the existence of which you've denied -- which removes blame from the individual and focuses on deeply ingrained, society-wide bias.

You've rejected efforts to focus the term, as mentioned above, plus when I use the term "white supremacy" in a 40+ year-old academic context, and the distinction between racial prejudice and racism, the latter being racial prejudice plus the power to use it to oppress people based on race.
I think you missed the part where I said the way we talk about it isn’t working. And then cited examples of how it has been talked about. I’m suggesting it’s the way that makes the most sense at ground level. Start with the impressionable...not those mired in their ways. The percentage of people flipping has to be pretty low.
Also....demanding people accept your view of systemic racism and definition of privelage when we readily agree it exists or existed and you continue to beat a dead horse—-isn’t all all productive. Your mode of delivery isn’t effective at changing minds—-why bang the same drum. It isn’t working and oftentimes creates resentment instead of understanding. Recognizing you’re part of the problem isn’t that hard. I’ve been part of the problem bc my views don’t dent anyone’s opinion on the other side.

So you judge their lifestyle to be wrong?
You ain't gonna quit with the spin, are you? This is normal. I get it. Judging a lifestyle , and or a choice, isn't judging a person. It's judging an act. Yes i find their lifestyle to be wrong. I do not agree with it. But for all I know, they could be and probably are very nice people. Then again, maybe not. I don't know. Look I have a cousin who's gay, and married. Moved to NYC to do so; been years ago. I love him to death. He's a terrific person. A very kind person. Funny as hell. But I've told him, " your lifestyle is wrong". He knows how I feel. I don't treat him.any different than any other family member. He's always invited to our home for family functions. Always. And when able, he comes. Love the guy. Just disagree with his lifestyle of being gay, and married.
I don't know why some.of you are so eager to try and "prove someone wrong". You jump.through incredible hoops. It's amazing.
I love my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I try to live by the guides He has given. If at the end of the day, I'm wrong, then so be it. But I look at it like this:
If I'm wrong about Christ, then I have wasted my life. But if You are wromg, then you have wasted your eternity.
I'll take my chances.

Reactions: dukedevilz
ADVERTISEMENT