ADVERTISEMENT

LeBron James

Ah, okay, I thought you meant now.

And I disagree entirely and absolutely.

If some white athlete was brought up in, say, the Deep South, and was like “When I was raised, we usually stayed away from black people, and then I met and lived around black people and I was like ‘Oh this is crazy, black people are just people,’” I disagree completely that most people would be upset with the athlete. I think they would say “Wow, look at what he is coming from, how messed up, great that he is speaking up about it and even calling it out.”
You yankees are more racist than southerners.

You yankees are more racist than southerners.

Sure. I remember a northern executive saying to me, when we were discussing athlete housing for hockey players, “Well now, come on, you wouldn’t want your wife living around a bunch of negroes, would you?” and the old local northern lady who worked the front desk nodding emphatically while a southerner was listening on, mouth open, aghast.

Oh wait. No, sorry, mixing up the story; it was two lifelong Greensboro natives who said that and nodded, and a guy from Buffalo who pulled me into my office afterwards to ask if they had really just said that aloud.

;)

Whatever, you get the point... if a white athlete spoke of being told to distrust black people by his community, and then said he realized that was ridiculous, just about nobody would attack the athlete.

Sure. I remember a northern executive saying to me, when we were discussing athlete housing for hockey players, “Well now, come on, you wouldn’t want your wife living around a bunch of negroes, would you?” and the old local northern lady who worked the front desk nodding emphatically while a southerner was listening on, mouth open, aghast.

Oh wait. No, sorry, mixing up the story; it was two lifelong Greensboro natives who said that and nodded, and a guy from Buffalo who pulled me into my office afterwards to ask if they had really just said that aloud.

;)

Whatever, you get the point... if a white athlete spoke of being told to distrust black people by his community, and then said he realized that was ridiculous, just about nobody would attack the athlete.
Whatever you racist ass Yankee!

Reactions: TheDude1

If some white athlete was brought up in, say, the Deep South, and was like “When I was raised, we usually stayed away from black people, and then I met and lived around black people and I was like ‘Oh this is crazy, black people are just people,’” I disagree completely that most people would be upset with the athlete. I think they would say “Wow, look at what he is coming from, how messed up, great that he is speaking up about it and even calling it out.”
Fair point. I can see that side of it.
I can also see some saying that if he was raised not to like blacks, then he probably still don’t.

Fair point. I can see that side of it.
I can also see some saying that if he was raised not to like blacks, then he probably still don’t.

I don’t know, LeBron seemed to be pretty clear why he was telling that story; to explain how he changed after living around white people.

;)

Nah. If a white guy (particularly a quote unquote conservative) made an equivalent comment, he'd be annihilated by leftist media.

I have absolutely zero problem with what Lebron said. But there's a horrible double standard in this pussified, selectively PC society.

Reactions: SosaUK
I was brought up to distrust Duke fans.

giphy.gif

Absolutely, totally not true. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone ever talk about outgrowing racist tendencies and beliefs and get crucified for that. In fact, we tend to really respect those types. You know, stories of Ku Klux Klan members who are saved and stuff? You are wrong.

And your stance on same-sex marriage makes me shake my head. Thankfully you are old, and that sort of attitude is gradually dying out.

I have to say, peoples reactions to this in this thread, some of them are so strange. An influential black athlete is basically going on the air and telling young black kids to not buy into racist stuff about white people. And you guys get upset? You don’t want someone to talk about growing up and understanding that racism is wrong? How ****ing weird are you some of you people? You literally get upset without even understanding what is happening.
Ever think maybe it's you that doesn't understand? I get what LeBron said. I understand it. But that's not the point. In today's society. A white athlete would've been crucified the minute he said, "raised not to like black people". No one would care or recall what was said before, or after that . They would just hear a white athlete proclaiming how he was raised not to like black people. If you so not think the media and society wouldn't treat this different had it been a white athlete, then it's you who's head is in the sand.
As for my stance on same sex marriage. "Thank goodness I'm old"? Dude, I'm 46. That ain't old young pup. Hell...Im in my prime. And exactly what do you think my stance is? I think it's wrong. Makes me sick, TBH. But that doesn't mean I do not support someone's right to do such. I 100% feel people of the same sex should have the right. I don't have to like something to support a right. And my age is irrelevant. I was raised southern Baptist. I try and live my life through the bible. And same sex marriage is, well, a no-no. But hey, I'm not the judge.

Well, hopefully those kids out there who are being raised like Lebron to hate white people who look up to Lebron maybe take his advice?? I don’t know if anyone would but if just one we’re to it be great.
True. But a quote such as this, tends to do more harm, than help.

You really believe this----Or is it you want to believe this? Cmon, Dude. You're am intelligent person. Maybe those withinnyoir circle, and heck, even mine, would be as such. But the majority? I don't see it. Especially from.agenda driven media folks. Agenda driven self proclaimed activist.
Cmon, man. If Peyton says this, it's over. His remarks would get spun. Folks with agendas wouldn't care what was said before or after . They would simply remember the, " not liking black people".

I think people would not vilify the person at all. I agree they would think it was great the person came to that realization. I think what they would do is vilify that person's family and those who raised him that way. I'm ok with that for the most part tbh because I get why the DS exist. I think we are more inclined to empathize with minorities in this regard (and rightly so IMO). I think it is also naive to not recognize that the reaction would be different though. I'm not sure why it matters that much though.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Sounds like he was raised and surrounded by ignorant people. Then was exposed to people that were the opposite and it opened his eyes. It would probably be misconstrued if said by someone else and very selective headlines would be written, but you can’t react exactly how the other side would react...and at the same time condemn them.....if that makes since. If he is saying he used to be racist and wised up? Good for him. It probably shows he understands that others grew up in the same way and had the same feelings about him—and they can change as well. I don’t think there is a time limit on it

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Nah. If a white guy (particularly a quote unquote conservative) made an equivalent comment, he'd be annihilated by leftist media.

I have absolutely zero problem with what Lebron said. But there's a horrible double standard in this pussified, selectively PC society.

Ever think maybe it's you that doesn't understand? I get what LeBron said. I understand it. But that's not the point. In today's society. A white athlete would've been crucified the minute he said, "raised not to like black people". No one would care or recall what was said before, or after that . They would just hear a white athlete proclaiming how he was raised not to like black people. If you so not think the media and society wouldn't treat this different had it been a white athlete, then it's you who's head is in the sand.
As for my stance on same sex marriage. "Thank goodness I'm old"? Dude, I'm 46. That ain't old young pup. Hell...Im in my prime. And exactly what do you think my stance is? I think it's wrong. Makes me sick, TBH. But that doesn't mean I do not support someone's right to do such. I 100% feel people of the same sex should have the right. I don't have to like something to support a right. And my age is irrelevant. I was raised southern Baptist. I try and live my life through the bible. And same sex marriage is, well, a no-no. But hey, I'm not the judge.

You really believe this----Or is it you want to believe this? Cmon, Dude. You're am intelligent person. Maybe those withinnyoir circle, and heck, even mine, would be as such. But the majority? I don't see it. Especially from.agenda driven media folks. Agenda driven self proclaimed activist.
Cmon, man. If Peyton says this, it's over. His remarks would get spun. Folks with agendas wouldn't care what was said before or after . They would simply remember the, " not liking black people".

Disagree entirely will all of these takes.

Sure, not everyone and everything is held to the same exact standard, but I cannot think of a single instance where anyone, and ESPECIALLY “the leftist media” would not generally support a white athlete who said they were raised around white people who distrusted or disliked black people, but now have learned better.

Might a SMALL minority not understand the point and make a big deal out of it? Sure... but I mean a tiny, tiny minority... like, a few confused folks on twitter. Like some of the guys here are doing right now, frankly.

But the media of ALL people would lionize that upstanding understanding white athlete who knows that everyone is equal and overcame his upbringing with the Trump folks;)

Your stances make no sense.

And sorry Borden, I know far too many gay people, and have far too many married gay friends, to let some idea of a magic floating guy with a beard disapproving of them guide my morals and what I do or do not accept. But I appreciate that at least you aren’t someone who would want to impose your ideas on what others do.

And yeah, I thought you were way older. Not sure why.

Look, if a white athlete said this....Well you know. He'd lose endorsememts. Any recognition, from any institue, program affiliated with. There would be backlash from all circles.
But a black athlete says this....And it's good?? He's hailed as a "hero" . A strong man standing up for his race. But if a white athlete were to do so, it wouldn't be "standing up for his peoplr". It would be racism.
So tired of this shit.
Accountability people. It's that simple.

Exactly! I get so sick of how shit is these days! I’ve slept with many many black and mixed girls and some of my best friends are black so there’s not a racist bone in my body but I get sick of seeing how black people can make comments and their considered to be standing up for what’s right but if a white person does the same thing they are a racist and a member of the KKK! I’m sorry for all the slavery shit that happen lifetimes ago but that didn’t have shit to do with me, my dad, my grandpa or his dad so I don’t wanna hear about it. My family was to poor to own cotton farms and we damn sure couldn’t afford slaves! Should we learn about slavery in school and shit? Yes! But let’s not act like every black person in America went through slavery and had to endure that life. Get over the shit already and get laid!!!:D

Disagree entirely will all of these takes.

Sure, not everyone and everything is held to the same exact standard, but I cannot think of a single instance where anyone, and ESPECIALLY “the leftist media” would not generally support a white athlete who said they were raised around white people who distrusted or disliked black people, but now have learned better.

Might a SMALL minority not understand the point and make a big deal out of it? Sure... but I mean a tiny, tiny minority... like, a few confused folks on twitter. Like some of the guys here are doing right now, frankly.

But the media of ALL people would lionize that upstanding understanding white athlete who knows that everyone is equal and overcame his upbringing with the Trump folks;)

Your stances make no sense.

And sorry Borden, I know far too many gay people, and have far too many married gay friends, to let some idea of a magic floating guy with a beard disapproving of them guide my morals and what I do or do not accept. But I appreciate that at least you aren’t someone who would want to impose your ideas on what others do.

And yeah, I thought you were way older. Not sure why.

Dude, half the people in the country (including many in MSM and Hollywood) think it's racist to support immigration laws. If a right wing athlete said "I wasn't ****ing with black people," plenty of d-bags would ignore the context and blow it out of proportion.

That said, I only read through it at first and didn't watch the clip. I don't think rational people who actually watched the video would make a big deal of it. Unless it's someone they have an agenda against, in which case you'd see an out of context quote on the ticker all day for two weeks.

Please. Shortly after being named Final Four Most Outstanding Player, Donte DiVincenzo deleted his twitter account after floods of media members questioned him on a racial epithet which he wrote when he was 14 years old - nevermind that he was quoting rap lyrics. And nevermind that his best friend is Jalen Brunson... he had the appearance of racism. And he should be shamed accordingly.

Please. Shortly after being named Final Four Most Outstanding Player, Donte DiVincenzo deleted his twitter account after floods of media members questioned him on a racial epithet which he wrote when he was 14 years old - nevermind that he was quoting rap lyrics. And nevermind that his best friend is Jalen Brunson... he had the appearance of racism. And he should be shamed accordingly.

So you are comparing two totally unlike scenarios... one where a 33 year old is actively talking about moving past racist beliefs from twenty years before, and one where it is simply a racist seeming statement from three or four years before with no context. Gotcha.

Reactions: RipThru
So you are comparing two totally unlike scenarios... one where a 33 year old is actively talking about moving past racist beliefs from twenty years before, and one where it is simply a racist seeming statement from three or four years before with no context. Gotcha.

It was from 7 years ago, when he was a 14-year old kid. The point is, the media blew it out of proportion because it had the appearance of racism. It's hard for me to believe that the media wouldn't run wild had Tom Brady said the same things LeBron did. If they make a big deal about a kid quoting rap lyrics, then yes, they're going to make a BIG DEAL out of the GOAT having racist thoughts/beliefs.

Now, for what it's worth, I don't think either scenario is worthy of front-page news. But the media's got to make headlines somehow... and people tend to gravitate towards race relation articles.

Ha. Good example of how this works.

Someone digs up rap quotes typed when he were 14 and voila...7,000 articles and social media posts accusing him of being a homophobic racist. RollLaugh

Reactions: dukedevilz

Wait wait wait. Talk about not sharing the entire story...

First, a rap lyric wasn’t the only thing he tweeted about. He tweeted about girls licking his asshole, about being gay, about his dad thinking he was a pussy, about dick sucking, something about the national anthem sucking, telling some “******s”to blow him... there was a LOT going on there. Talk about oversimplifying. Yes, if an athlete goes absolutely nuts in a public forum, it will generate talk. That is not the same as an adult hall of famer voluntarily talking about moving past racist stuff.

Second, he didn’t exactly say “Yeah, I was a dumbass kid” and talk about the lessons he learned. Instead he and Villanova went with some story where it was his account, but he didn’t make those tweets, and then they said he was hacked, and then they just deleted the whole thing, which is completely different.

Finally, just looking at the first ten or so google results, I don’t see any media going after him for being racist or anything. Instead, they just seem to note that he tweeted a bunch of tweets that people could find offensive, and then he denied it, and then they said it was hacking, and then they deleted them.

So yeah. Not the same circumstances at all.

Reactions: Matt Laurer
Are people really saying that if a white athlete said “I was raised to hate blacks, but working with some great people has completely rid me of that belief.” That he’d get crucified? Yeah ****ing right. He’d probably get blasted for being a black apologist by some.

I mean, we had am embraced politician that was a former KKK member. Embraced by the left.

Exactly! I get so sick of how shit is these days! I’ve slept with many many black and mixed girls and some of my best friends are black so there’s not a racist bone in my body but I get sick of seeing how black people can make comments and their considered to be standing up for what’s right but if a white person does the same thing they are a racist and a member of the KKK! I’m sorry for all the slavery shit that happen lifetimes ago but that didn’t have shit to do with me, my dad, my grandpa or his dad so I don’t wanna hear about it. My family was to poor to own cotton farms and we damn sure couldn’t afford slaves! Should we learn about slavery in school and shit? Yes! But let’s not act like every black person in America went through slavery and had to endure that life. Get over the shit already and get laid!!!:D

This is cringe worthy.

You are completely missing the lingering effects of slavery and racism throughout US history. Slavery was abolished in 1865. Things don't just magically become perfectly equal the day after slavery is abolished.

- Civil Rights Act wasn't passed until 1964. This made it illegal, for the first time in the history of the United States, to discriminate against race, color, etc. Not all black people were even allowed to vote before then. It only took 100 years after slavery was abolished.

- Fair Housing Act didn't pass until 1968. This made it illegal to force certain races to live in specific areas, and to discriminate against for rentals, financing, etc. This only took the assassination of MLK Jr and the ensuing riots to finally pass in Congress, after it failed passing prior to 1968.

- Segregation in Schools was made illegal between 1965-1970's, evolving from Brown vs. Board of Education making it illegal to have segregated schools to the laws about integrating school buses transporting "integrated" students. All of the children who grew up during this time, were not given the same schooling and opportunities.

So your dad and grandpa weren't alive during the 60's and 70's? I'm not insinuating that they were racist themselves, but the country as a whole was racist back then and had to literally create laws to make it illegal to discriminate based on race. Minorities were previously allowed to be legally pushed into certain housing areas, were denied from employment, were denied from equal schooling, etc. until the 1970's.

Do you not see how being forced to live in a specific area, with less job opportunities, and worse education - could affect how these certain groups developed over time? If you're a minority, you likely make less money and you live in a worse school district and that rolls into the next generation. 1970 wasn't even 50 years ago. There are still fathers out there today, who lived through this and were not afforded the same conveniences, opportunities, and realities as non-minority fathers of the same age.

It is sad how many people try to deny that racism exists in this country. That's not even taking into consideration the bias in incarceration rates and sentencing for the same crimes, redlining, "separate but equal", white flight leading to crumbling education and infrastructure in urban areas, etc.

This wasn't just a "we passed a law, now everyone is equal".

I listened to the entirety of what James said this morning and I get his perspective. Same thing he had happen , happens to white kids in the same environment within white ignorant society. But once James interacted with those kids that were demonized by his ignorant surroundings prior. He grew as a person , I am actually surprised Lebron would be this candid.

Reactions: KisteK and TheDude1
Wait wait wait. Talk about not sharing the entire story...

First, a rap lyric wasn’t the only thing he tweeted about.

Everything he tweeted about that was deemed offensive contained rap lyrics... And there were over 17,000 tweets. All of the offensive tweets appear to have come in the same year... and he hasn't tweeted since 2016.

Finally, just looking at the first ten or so google results, I don’t see any media going after him for being racist or anything. Instead, they just seem to note that he tweeted a bunch of tweets that people could find offensive, and then he denied it, and then they said it was hacking, and then they deleted them.

So yeah. Not the same circumstances at all.

They aren't the same circumstances, true. My point, however, is that the media will GLADLY take any racial story they can get their hands on and make it into a front page headline.. Why even make a story of this? A 14 year-old posted some dumb rap lyrics. They make a story out of it because these headlines generate HITS...

DiVincenzo_zpsnjkp2su6.jpg

You can't tell me this story wasn't created because of the race angle. Now, if Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers says something similar to what LeBron said, I think most would agree that it would garner A LOT of attention.

I listened to the entirety of what James said this morning and I get his perspective. Same thing he had happen , happens to white kids in the same environment within white ignorant society. But once James interacted with those kids that were demonized by his ignorant surroundings prior. He grew as a person , I am actually surprised Lebron would be this candid.

Yeah, actually really liked hearing an athlete open up like this… Often times they are way too careful.

This is cringe worthy.

You are completely missing the lingering effects of slavery and racism throughout US history. Slavery was abolished in 1865. Things don't just magically become perfectly equal the day after slavery is abolished.

- Civil Rights Act wasn't passed until 1964. This made it illegal, for the first time in the history of the United States, to discriminate against race, color, etc. Not all black people were even allowed to vote before then. It only took 100 years after slavery was abolished.

- Fair Housing Act didn't pass until 1968. This made it illegal to force certain races to live in specific areas, and to discriminate against for rentals, financing, etc. This only took the assassination of MLK Jr and the ensuing riots to finally pass in Congress, after it failed passing prior to 1968.

- Segregation in Schools was made illegal between 1965-1970's, evolving from Brown vs. Board of Education making it illegal to have segregated schools to the laws about integrating school buses transporting "integrated" students. All of the children who grew up during this time, were not given the same schooling and opportunities.

So your dad and grandpa weren't alive during the 60's and 70's? I'm not insinuating that they were racist themselves, but the country as a whole was racist back then and had to literally create laws to make it illegal to discriminate based on race. Minorities were previously allowed to be legally pushed into certain housing areas, were denied from employment, were denied from equal schooling, etc. until the 1970's.

Do you not see how being forced to live in a specific area, with less job opportunities, and worse education - could affect how these certain groups developed over time? If you're a minority, you likely make less money and you live in a worse school district and that rolls into the next generation. 1970 wasn't even 50 years ago. There are still fathers out there today, who lived through this and were not afforded the same conveniences, opportunities, and realities as non-minority fathers of the same age.

It is sad how many people try to deny that racism exists in this country. That's not even taking into consideration the bias in incarceration rates and sentencing for the same crimes, redlining, "separate but equal", white flight leading to crumbling education and infrastructure in urban areas, etc.

This wasn't just a "we passed a law, now everyone is equal".

You missed my point completely!Eyeroll

You missed my point completely!Eyeroll

Unless the whole thing was satirical, then I don't think I missed the point.

"Just get over slavery already" means you are failing to comprehend the effects that are still present, over 100 years later.

As for the "if a white person said this" thing... that isn't really relevant. White people have never been discriminated against to the level of literally every other race, especially in the US.

Reactions: Dattier and KisteK
As for the "if a white person said this" thing... that isn't really relevant. White people have never been discriminated against to the level of literally every other race, especially in the US.
If you preach equality, then you need to practice equality. You can't change what happened in the past, and I've not seen one poster every say racism doesn't exist in this country. Would be as ignorant as you can get. However, letting blacks or minorities have advantages because they are just that is extremely counterproductive in trying to stop racism.

Reactions: Scotty00
ADVERTISEMENT