ADVERTISEMENT

Genuine question for UK fans on expectations

I think the common complaints on the boards and radio is the last few years he has given us our worst season ever, worst tournament loss ever, worst regular season loss, worst NIT loss LOL, lost the all times win record, no NCAAT wins since 2019, worst loss ever to alabama, just lost as a 20+ point favorite at home, says dumb things all the time(regular season doesn't matter, SECT doesn't matter, We lost so now I get to go home to be with my dogs) , on track to miss the tournament again, etc....

He could turn things around and win another title here, but the last few years are embarrassing.

If I was Cal, I would put together a think tank of sorts, get some good basketball minds together to dissect and help him fix what is wrong. Put a plan together to get things back on track. Its a business treat it like one. Business plans are living documents. Your stock is falling, you need help, go get it, revise your plan. Its not working.

If I was Cal, I would put together a think tank of sorts, get some good basketball minds together to dissect and help him fix what is wrong. Put a plan together to get things back on track. Its a business treat it like one. Business plans are living documents. Your stock is falling, you need help, go get it, revise your plan. Its not working.
He could return to his glory days if he’d hire someone to be an x and o assistant, then fade off a bit redeemed. His biggest flaw is his unwillingness to change. It will cost him a legacy.

He could return to his glory days if he’d hire someone to be an x and o assistant, then fade off a bit redeemed. His biggest flaw is his unwillingness to change. It will cost him a legacy.
He has taken Umass, Memphis and UK to the FF. He has a title. He is in the HOF and will hold the record for draft picks in a time period. His legacy is already set. Now this may be his MJ with the wizards era, but MJ's legacy never changed.

What do UK fans want exactly. Cal has , in 12 tourneys, has 7 EE's, 4 final fours, a national title, 45 draft picks and won the league half of the time. I get 2020-2021 and this year are bad, but in the totality of it all what are the expectations here? Outside of number of titles, even Rupp doesn't have that resume.

Acknowledging up front that we (everyone, not just UK fans) lost the 2020 NCAAT and I think that team had a good chance to change a lot of what I’m about to say.

Of those 7 E8, none have come in the last 4 seasons.

Of those 4 F4, none have come in the last 7 seasons.

That national title was over a decade ago.

I don’t care about NBA draft picks. I care about wins in college. I’m sure Shaedon Sharpe counts as one of those picks. What did he do for Kentucky?

What do I expect? More consistency. To not cough up a relatively comfortable all time wins lead. To not miss two out of three NCAAT (that’s how it looks today) with the worst loss in program history in between. To believe almost every year that a Final Four is possible. You don’t have to actually go that far, it’s unreasonable to expect that to happen every year. But I should at least be able to put Kentucky in my bracket’s Final Four and not feel dumb. To not squander top recruiting class after top recruiting class and have no hope of continuity because everyone leaves no matter how well we do in a season.

Kansas has proven that all of this is possible. It’s not unreasonable to expect us to be competitive with Kansas over time.

Acknowledging up front that we (everyone, not just UK fans) lost the 2020 NCAAT and I think that team had a good chance to change a lot of what I’m about to say.

Of those 7 E8, none have come in the last 4 seasons.

Of those 4 F4, none have come in the last 7 seasons.

That national title was over a decade ago.

I don’t care about NBA draft picks. I care about wins in college. I’m sure Shaedon Sharpe counts as one of those picks. What did he do for Kentucky?

What do I expect? More consistency. To not cough up a relatively comfortable all time wins lead. To not miss two out of three NCAAT (that’s how it looks today) with the worst loss in program history in between. To believe almost every year that a Final Four is possible. You don’t have to actually go that far, it’s unreasonable to expect that to happen every year. But I should at least be able to put Kentucky in my bracket’s Final Four and not feel dumb. To not squander top recruiting class after top recruiting class and have no hope of continuity because everyone leaves no matter how well we do in a season.

Kansas has proven that all of this is possible. It’s not unreasonable to expect us to be competitive with Kansas over time.

It may not be unreasonable to expect more consistency, but it’s unreasonable to expect to hire a coach as good as Self, or to expect the next coach to recruit at the same level or better than Calipari.

It may not be unreasonable to expect more consistency, but it’s unreasonable to expect to hire a coach as good as Self, or to expect the next coach to recruit at the same level or better than Calipari.
If you aren't running a one-and-done system, you don't need to recruit as well as Calipari.

Look at the programs that are winning titles, they're all built with players that were developed through their system and stuck around.

The days of winning with freshmen, are over.

I can't wait until this NBA farm system bullshit is gone from Kentucky.

If you aren't running a one-and-done system, you don't need to recruit as well as Calipari.

Look at the programs that are winning titles, they're all built with players that were developed through their system and stuck around.

The days of winning with freshmen, are over.

I can't wait until this NBA farm system bullshit is gone from Kentucky.
Now that free agency is a thing it's no longer necessary to stack rosters with stud freshman to replace everyone that's leaving either. You're generally not going to see such young teams very often in the future, especially when the NBA allows 18-year-olds to be draft eligible. I think most coaches would obviously prefer more upperclassmen with experience anyway, mixed in with a freshman phenom or two, but not rosters full of freshman and sophomores.

Ah, yes. Of course, you have to go back over 40 years before Kentucky even has an edge in the series, but that’s nice. Maybe that thought will get you through your 4th straight season without a tourney win. 🤣
24-10, dipshit.... don't be carving that up into your favorite little timeframes to fit your idiotic narrative.

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
24-10, dipshit.... don't be carving that up into your favorite little timeframes to fit your idiotic narrative.

Yeah, how could anyone think the last 40 years are more relevant than games played in the 60s?

Keep telling yourself that recent success doesn't matter, in between teary-eyed demands to fire your coach after a couple down years. Dumbass. 😆

Yeah, how could anyone think the last 40 years are more relevant than games played in the 60s?

Keep telling yourself that recent success doesn't matter, in between teary-eyed demands to fire your coach after a couple down years. Dumbass. 😆
....keep hiding from the actual truth behind your selective little pieces of it, clown.

....keep hiding from the actual truth behind your selective little pieces of it, clown.

The truth is that Kentucky has no advantage in any category over the last 4 decades. Plenty of people on this forum (including me) haven't even been alive that long.

Now back to crying about your coach's lack of success the last few years. Timeframer.

The truth is that Kentucky has no advantage in any category over the last 4 decades. Plenty of people on this forum (including me) haven't even been alive that long.

Now back to crying about your coach's lack of success the last few years. Timeframer.
24-10.
8-4.

Game....set....match.

24-10, dipshit....

Dumbass. 😆

Timeframer.
2FcfyOp.gif

Since '15 season UK has finished in the AP final Top Ten, 5 of the 7 seasons. 18th and UR are the other two.
2 E8's, 1 Sweet Sixteen, 1 Second Round loss, 1 First round loss, and again one canceled tournament with Quickley, Maxey leading the charge by winning the SEC by 3 games.
With the Kansas loss yesterday, Calipari is 26-33 against ranked teams since the 2015 season you mentioned. In the same timespan we have ONE win in the ncaa tournament against a Power5 team . Three seeded UCLA in 2017 . I’m a lifelong UK fan , but you wear the bluest of glasses .

What do UK fans want exactly. Cal has , in 12 tourneys, has 7 EE's, 4 final fours, a national title, 45 draft picks and won the league half of the time. I get 2020-2021 and this year are bad, but in the totality of it all what are the expectations here? Outside of number of titles, even Rupp doesn't have that resume.
With the loss to you yesterday Calipari is 26-33 against ranked teams since Bo Ryan neutered him in 2015 . In that same timespan we have exactly ONE ncaa tournament win over a Power5 team (3 seed UCLA in 2017) . SINCE 2015 ! Would you be happy if Bill Self was performing at that level.

With the loss to you yesterday Calipari is 26-33 against ranked teams since Bo Ryan neutered him in 2015 . In that same timespan we have exactly ONE ncaa tournament win over a Power5 team (3 seed UCLA in 2017) . SINCE 2015 ! Would you be happy if Bill Self was performing at that level.
In 04 we lost to Gtech in OT when we were the better team. 05 lost to 14 seed bucknell, 06 lost to 13 seed bradley.

2010 lost to UNI as the overall #1 seed. Then in 2011 lost to 11seed VCU. 2013 lost to Michigan when ku was up 8 with 2 and a half to go in the game.

KU , though has 4 final fours under bill. 2 titles. 16 B12 titles in 19 years. double digit 1 seeds...

Look in order to be great you have to have low points. Every great player, team and coach goes and grow through adversity.

KU had an awfully mediocre 2019. A supposed one and done bust with Grimes, Legerald Vick being an awful leader, Udoke getting hurt. 2020 the postseason cancelled. 2021 we got thumped by 30 to USC ... Then we freaking won the national freaking title.

Cal has been to the FF with 3 team. 4 with UK and gets great players. Running him off during your low point is choosing immaturity and mediocrity , not on Cals end, but the fans end. You're going to run him off before your breakthrough. What foolishness.

Nothing has hurt UK more in their history than dumb azz fans. It takes good players, good coaching and great fans to be the gold standard. And yall are going to be the weak link in that chain.

Coach k has lost to vcu, lehigh, mercer, missed the tourney

Roy williams has been to the nit and missed tourneys and lost early

the 2019 national champ lost to UMBC in the most embarrassing loss in tourney history.

Go ahead and be weak and run Cal off and be mediocre again when Self wins more titles.

Yall are babies

In 04 we lost to Gtech in OT when we were the better team. 05 lost to 14 seed bucknell, 06 lost to 13 seed bradley.

2010 lost to UNI as the overall #1 seed. Then in 2011 lost to 11seed VCU. 2013 lost to Michigan when ku was up 8 with 2 and a half to go in the game.

KU , though has 4 final fours under bill. 2 titles. 16 B12 titles in 19 years. double digit 1 seeds...

Look in order to be great you have to have low points. Every great player, team and coach goes and grow through adversity.

KU had an awfully mediocre 2019. A supposed one and done bust with Grimes, Legerald Vick being an awful leader, Udoke getting hurt. 2020 the postseason cancelled. 2021 we got thumped by 30 to USC ... Then we freaking won the national freaking title.

Cal has been to the FF with 3 team. 4 with UK and gets great players. Running him off during your low point is choosing immaturity and mediocrity , not on Cals end, but the fans end. You're going to run him off before your breakthrough. What foolishness.

Nothing has hurt UK more in their history than dumb azz fans. It takes good players, good coaching and great fans to be the gold standard. And yall are going to be the weak link in that chain.

Coach k has lost to vcu, lehigh, mercer, missed the tourney

Roy williams has been to the nit and missed tourneys and lost early

the 2019 national champ lost to UMBC in the most embarrassing loss in tourney history.

Go ahead and be weak and run Cal off and be mediocre again when Self wins more titles.

Yall are babies
Easy for you to say since Self has never had below a 4 seed in the tournament.I can understand why a Kansas fan would want Calipari to stay though, lol .

Last edited:
  • Haha
Kentucky is being projected to be amongst the First Four in according to some brackets. That would be pretty cool to see UK play another Power 5 team in Dayton. #makethefirstfourgreatagain

ADVERTISEMENT