ADVERTISEMENT

John Higgins calling the North Carolina game

Because these were both FF games, and seeing both of these calls/non calls leaves room for doubt. Would we have won? I don’t know. They were close games, and the calls benefited the “better” teams. It’s hard to convince UK fans that Higgins doesn’t come across as a bit obnoxious.

269294792.gif

Doesn’t that just mean that it’s below one second but above 0.00 since the shot clock doesn’t show with decimal places (only goes by the closest second and doesn’t round up)? My understanding is that it isn’t 0.00 until the light comes on.

Doesn’t that just mean that it’s below one second but above 0.00 since the shot clock doesn’t show with decimal places (only goes by the closest second and doesn’t round up)? My understanding is that it isn’t 0.00 until the light comes on.
I’m just going by the clock above the goal. If there is a different one, then it should be made visible.

I’m just going by the clock above the goal. If there is a different one, then it should be made visible.

It’s not a shot clock violation until the light goes off.

And as far as the other gif, it’s not a good call but it looks like the Uk guy has a little (minimal) contact early on, and then the UCOnn guy flops. Higgins is not the first ref to bite on a flop, nor will he be the last.

Ultimately though, BBN thought it acceptable to harass the guy at work, which is the work of idiot loons. That kind of behavior is why no one outside of Kentucky has any sympathy whatsoever for Kentucky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big_countryvolfan
I haven’t personally met any UK fans seeking sympathy . . . Only fairness.

Yes but we all think you are treated just like everyone else, if not better. So no one gives 2 shits about your Quixotic quest for fairness.

It’s not a quest. It was 4 years ago. Fairness either exists or it doesn’t.

That’s the point. Y’all are treated just like everyone else. But for some reason, BBN constantly wants to be a victim.

I don’t get it, but it doesn’t make UK likeable.

That’s the point. Y’all are treated just like everyone else. But for some reason, BBN constantly wants to be a victim.

There were patterns of questionable officiating slowly becoming apparent with Higgins beyond the run-of-The-mill fan bitching. It resulted in a bit of a coup,which has kept him away from our games since. There is no remorse over his absence.

No other official has appeared as consistently incompetent before or after Higgins. It’s at a level that ALL basketball fans are understanding of now.

There were patterns of questionable officiating slowly becoming apparent with Higgins beyond the run-of-The-mill fan bitching. It resulted in a bit of a coup,which has kept him away from our games since. There is no remorse over his absence.

No other official has appeared as consistently incompetent before or after Higgins. It’s at a level that ALL basketball fans are understanding of now.
Are we all understanding that now? Did I miss something?

Reactions: UNC71-00
Are we all understanding that now? Did I miss something?
I’m no conspiracy theorist, but as long as there is a human element involved in making split-second decisions, then it is possible that bias can play a role.

Does it play a role? You’d have to assume it’s at least possible.

i’m not endorsing what happened, but it at least separated an entire fanbase from a person they considered toxic.

I consider our debate a success by simply not being called a “cockgagger.” jumpingsmile

I’m no conspiracy theorist, but as long as there is a human element involved in making split-second decisions, then it is possible that bias can play a role.

Does it play a role? You’d have to assume it’s at least possible.

Of course it is possible. But if you allow yourself to consider that possibility, then you always have an escape goat after every loss. Or put it another way, you can always make yourself a victim.

(Note- I know the phrase is “scape goat”. I have a fool of a buddy who always messes up phrases and he one time said escape goat and I have used it ever since)

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Of course it is possible. But if you allow yourself to consider that possibility, then you always have an escape goat after every loss. Or put it another way, you can always make yourself a victim.

(Note- I know the phrase is “scape goat”. I have a fool of a buddy who always messes up phrases and he one time said escape goat and I have used it ever since)
You might have missed where I added I don’t endorse what was done towards Higgins. I’m guilty of being good with the separation though.

As for the bias possibility, we all like to cuss the ref, call them names, etc. I think there is a certain amount of give and take fans find acceptable. I see it throughout multiple fanbases. Even reading the thread about the Duke/Iowa St. game there were 2 different views of who fouled who. Even if the call is accurate, people will debate it. It’s crazy. Btw, you’ve become one of my favorite posters here . . . I’m a sucker for creative name calling. I always laugh.

tumblr_n6kv6x22PF1tdssjxo1_500.jpg

We have a very passionate fan base. I'm not excusing death threats, but that is not the entire fan base. UNC fans can't identify, cause the over all passion is absent. Not one UK game ever, ever, has had canned crowd noise piped into their radio broadcasts, like UNC used to do. Your fans had the stigma of being the whine and cheese crowd.

Most UK fans on here may not be aware, of Course Bert would lol, but John's brother Tim Higgins made the worst call I've ever seen in a game. It was 95 UK vs UNC. We had an 8 point lead, a rumble of sorts between Riddick and Wallace broke out. Tim Higgins called a foul on McCarty. Put in him foul trouble and who was having a great game. The trouble was, McCarty was on the bench and it stung us in that game.

So along comes John, makes some really bad calls against UK vs UNC. Easy to figure out maybe some family bias going there. And of course BBN's voice is going to be heard....

The point is there are always going to be some bad calls each way during almost every game. A problem I see is the training of officials or lack there of. No official, should ever make a call on what might be a foul. If there's any question defer or swallow the damn whistle. As it long as a game is called the same way on both ends, I really don't have a problem.

Case in point with Random's pick, Williams did that twice against UK and twice a foul was called on Richards. Its a matter of physics and common sense, that if a player pushes the player if front of him, its not going to cause him to bend over at the waist lol. He's going to take steps forward to keep from falling. Any ref that calls that is ignorant, a jerk or both.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
I have no sympathy what so ever for Higgins. He can continue his career just fine and will never be able to call a U.K. game again due to the lawsuit he filed and lost. The supposed Death Threats were never proven. He was unable to provide any proof of those in court at all which leads me... and anyone else with a brain, to believe they were fabricated. Dude is a clown.

I haven’t personally met any UK fans seeking sympathy . . . Only fairness.

You get fairness. Many times you get more than fairness, you get the benefit of the doubt. Yet your fanbase actually think, I mean truly believes, officials are out to get them. For every call you guys want to bitch about in any game Higgins called I can find an equitable call that went your way. This is why people think your fanbase is unreasonable. There were not any more patterns of questionable officiating than with anyone else. You guys just had him in games you should have, and did, lose. Your fanbase needs an excuse for a loss because they can't rationalize another team genuinely beating them.

We have a very passionate fan base. I'm not excusing death threats, but that is not the entire fan base. UNC fans can't identify, cause the over all passion is absent. Not one UK game ever, ever, has had canned crowd noise piped into their radio broadcasts, like UNC used to do. Your fans had the stigma of being the whine and cheese crowd.

Most UK fans on here may not be aware, of Course Bert would lol, but John's brother Tim Higgins made the worst call I've ever seen in a game. It was 95 UK vs UNC. We had an 8 point lead, a rumble of sorts between Riddick and Wallace broke out. Tim Higgins called a foul on McCarty. Put in him foul trouble and who was having a great game. The trouble was, McCarty was on the bench and it stung us in that game.

So along comes John, makes some really bad calls against UK vs UNC. Easy to figure out maybe some family bias going there. And of course BBN's voice is going to be heard....

The point is there are always going to be some bad calls each way during almost every game. A problem I see is the training of officials or lack there of. No official, should ever make a call on what might be a foul. If there's any question defer or swallow the damn whistle. As it long as a game is called the same way on both ends, I really don't have a problem.

Case in point with Random's pick, Williams did that twice against UK and twice a foul was called on Richards. Its a matter of physics and common sense, that if a player pushes the player if front of him, its not going to cause him to bend over at the waist lol. He's going to take steps forward to keep from falling. Any ref that calls that is ignorant, a jerk or both.

UNC fans are plenty familiar with death threats.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi1hoOF_57hAhWB_YMKHfswCqUQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/27/sports/reporter-digging-into-scandal-hits-a-universitys-raw-nerve.html&psig=AOvVaw3DNtLTSCdH_SGrqgeg9FRX&ust=1553661712417644

Good lord that link. One of these days I’ll take the time to learn how to clean that up. *shrug*

https://www-m.cnn.com/2014/01/09/us/ncaa-athletes-unc-response/index.html?r=https://www.google.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
You get fairness. Many times you get more than fairness, you get the benefit of the doubt. Yet your fanbase actually think, I mean truly believes, officials are out to get them. For every call you guys want to bitch about in any game Higgins called I can find an equitable call that went your way. This is why people think your fanbase is unreasonable. There were not any more patterns of questionable officiating than with anyone else. You guys just had him in games you should have, and did, lose. Your fanbase needs an excuse for a loss because they can't rationalize another team genuinely beating them.
The entire fanbase or just a handful of posters on message boards?

It would be so easy to overgeneralize other fanbases but why bother?

For the lazy.

"There have been violent threats, angry screeds, Twitter flame campaigns and an entire website predicated on the putative hideousness of Dan Kane’s existence. Someone sent Kane an email wishing him a lingering death by bone cancer. Someone else tweeted him a photograph of a noose."

The UNC fanbase is crazy. Eyeroll

The entire fanbase or just a handful of posters on message boards?

It would be so easy to overgeneralize other fanbases but why bother?

I mean, it is more than just a handful of posters. I always assume the generalizations are understood to apply specifically to those particular fans though. Especially intended for those who are commenting here with these crazy things.

I mean, it is more than just a handful of posters. I always assume the generalizations are understood to apply specifically to those particular fans though. Especially intended for those who are commenting here with these crazy things.
I understand your point, but I don't subscribe to painting with large brushes. It's lazy.

I have no sympathy what so ever for Higgins. He can continue his career just fine and will never be able to call a U.K. game again due to the lawsuit he filed and lost. The supposed Death Threats were never proven. He was unable to provide any proof of those in court at all which leads me... and anyone else with a brain, to believe they were fabricated. Dude is a clown.
^

this

Reactions: BC_in_06
UNC fans who are as crazy as the specific UK fans who don't like Higgins and think he actually dislikes them hate him as well. This what the UK fans here, and elsewhere, who truly believe Higgins calls against them can't understand. There are just as many, relatively, UNC fans who feel the exact same way about the way Higgins treats the Tar Heels.

UNC fans who are as crazy as the specific UK fans who don't like Higgins and think he actually dislikes them hate him as well. This what the UK fans here, and elsewhere, who truly believe Higgins calls against them can't understand. There are just as many, relatively, UNC fans who feel the exact same way about the way Higgins treats the Tar Heels.
I don't know why when he takes care of UNC.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT