ADVERTISEMENT

Worst blown calls you’ve witnessed?

Oh and good game A&M fans. I don’t think y’all usullay hit three’s like that (imagine that) but you guys was lighting it up today.
Taylor has been meh, battling some issues. But he was SEC preseason POY.

You cant INTENTIONALLY extend it. He didn't. That's a terrible call. Tell me last time you saw that called? Me? I don't think I ever have. He was on his way down as well. There is no way of defending that call. I would love to have been in locker room after that call, to hear the discussion.

Shep call was bad----But much, much, MUCH more sell worthy.
I’ve never seen it called either.

You cant INTENTIONALLY extend it. He didn't. That's a terrible call. Tell me last time you saw that called? Me? I don't think I ever have. He was on his way down as well. There is no way of defending that call. I would love to have been in locker room after that call, to hear the discussion.

If he didn’t extend his leg how did it end up under Shep? Watch the reply, Shep wouldn’t have touched him if he didn’t extend. Purpose or not he extended his leg.

Reactions: mcnicKY91
Oh and I don’t remember the games I’ve seen it called but I have seen it. I don’t necessarily lock the call but to me it’s just like flopping and that takes away from the game.

If he didn’t extend his leg how did it end up under Shep? Watch the reply, Shep wouldn’t have touched him if he didn’t extend. Purpose or not he extended his leg.
Yeah that's where I am it. UK got a very good road whistle, so not complaining about the refs.

But as for the call about the TAMU player, he clearly stuck his foot out. Whether intentional or not, which doesn't matter, Sheppard sails by the guy with no contact if he didn't stick his foot out. It was a clear offensive foul.

Now, the refs should have called the same thing on Dillingham earlier in the game as well.

Reactions: Scotty00
Virginia double dribbled in 2019 final 4 game against Auburn. Never forget it

I did see the replay....It was part of his shooting "form"---It was not intentional, and in this context, that is KEY. So on purpose or not is very relevant.

But as for the call about the TAMU player, he clearly stuck his foot out. Whether intentional or not, which doesn't matter, Sheppard sails by the guy with no contact if he didn't stick his foot out. It was a clear offensive foul.
It does matter.

And it was a terrible call. If this had been called on UK, your argument/thoughts are 110% different.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
It does matter.

And it was a terrible call. If this had been called on UK, your argument/thoughts are 110% different.
No, my argument wouldn't be any different. Dillingham should have been called for the same thing. It was legislated into the game for player safety.

It is not the refs responsibility to have a scouting report on every single player to know which ones do and don't intentionally stick out their leg when shooting, and then to have to remember that each time someone shoots during the course of the game. That is ridiculous, to be honest.

It was 100% the right call.

Reactions: RipThru
No, my argument wouldn't be any different. Dillingham should have been called for the same thing. It was legislated into the game for player safety.

It is not the refs responsibility to have a scouting report on every single player to know which ones do and don't intentionally stick out their leg when shooting, and then to have to remember that each time someone shoots during the course of the game. That is ridiculous, to be honest.

It was 100% the right call.
He is a ref, so I’d probably assume he knows the rule. We can argue the rule being stupid that the refs would need to use their discretion on intent, but I’m going to go ahead and assume he’s correct that they are tasked to do so. I had assumed that intent didn’t matter but it’s a call that I don’t see called very often.

I have not seen this particular call but if the shooter initiates the contact by kicking out that should be called and at the very least no call on the defender. Hell, we saw a S16 team get sent home 1.7 seconds from winning when that call was blown.

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
I did see the replay....It was part of his shooting "form"---It was not intentional, and in this context, that is KEY. So on purpose or not is very relevant.
I don’t think “shooting form” was talked about when they made the rule about kicking your leg out. Maybe watch the clip again and see what you’re missing because that dude stuck his leg out pretty far. Should’ve been called on Dilly earlier as well.

I have not seen this particular call but if the shooter initiates the contact by kicking out that should be called and at the very least no call on the defender. Hell, we saw a S16 team get sent home 1.7 seconds from winning when that call was blown.
Exactly! The play in question is when Shep (UK player) jumped out at an A&M player who was shooting a three and the A&M player stuck his leg out really far trying to get a call. If you watch the video you’ll see Shep wouldn’t have touched him without the leg extension by the A&M player. Don’t see how that’s hard for people to see but here we are😂

He is a ref, so I’d probably assume he knows the rule. We can argue the rule being stupid that the refs would need to use their discretion on intent, but I’m going to go ahead and assume he’s correct that they are tasked to do so. I had assumed that intent didn’t matter but it’s a call that I don’t see called very often.
I think you might be missing the point. Borden is saying the player didn't intentionally stick his leg out...now how the heck does he know that? Whether or not the leg extension is part of his normal motion is irrelevant, he is still intentionally sticking it out, which 100% contributed to Sheppard tripping and falling. He could have easily been injured as well, which is why that play had been legislated out.

The ref made the right call, as he judged it intentional. Why does Borden, who wasn't reffing the game, get to come along and say the ref was wrong with his judgment of intention? That is ridiculous.

You are making a very big assumption!

I just want to watch UNC's center play less than 6 minutes in a game because he gets two fouls on him the first minute of a game and comes back in in the second half and instantly gets another.

I want Jay Bilas to explain how Shepard is charging by taking a three point shot where he is jumping straight up.

I want a real explanation on the blocked shot/out of bounds play that is corrected 4 minutes later. I want someone to explain why Pat Adams is considered smart enough to call college games.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
Exactly! The play in question is when Shep (UK player) jumped out at an A&M player who was shooting a three and the A&M player stuck his leg out really far trying to get a call. If you watch the video you’ll see Shep wouldn’t have touched him without the leg extension by the A&M player. Don’t see how that’s hard for people to see but here we are😂
I think Reggie Miller invented this ploy. Kick the leg out to initiate contact then flop on the floor.

It is really pathetic to allow crap like that.

You are making a very big assumption!

I just want to watch UNC's center play less than 6 minutes in a game because he gets two fouls on him the first minute of a game and comes back in in the second half and instantly gets another.

I want Jay Bilas to explain how Shepard is charging by taking a three point shot where he is jumping straight up.

I want a real explanation on the blocked shot/out of bounds play that is corrected 4 minutes later. I want someone to explain why Pat Adams is considered smart enough to call college games.
I think the safest assumption is he would know better than us.

I think you might be missing the point. Borden is saying the player didn't intentionally stick his leg out...now how the heck does he know that? Whether or not the leg extension is part of his normal motion is irrelevant, he is still intentionally sticking it out, which 100% contributed to Sheppard tripping and falling. He could have easily been injured as well, which is why that play had been legislated out.

The ref made the right call, as he judged it intentional. Why does Borden, who wasn't reffing the game, get to come along and say the ref was wrong with his judgment of intention? That is ridiculous.
Why would I assume that you also know better? Both of you seem dead set on the opinion. Right now I’m seeing an argument between someone who sees it in real time and gets training on these sorts of things versus someone who doesn’t. You may be right, but all else equal, I’ll generally go with the professional opinion.

Edit to add: I thought the same thing as you initially. That it was an okay call except they didn’t call it on Dillingham earlier. But I do try to listen to professionals on their field when they tell me I’m wrong for whatever reason. It’s the same for this as other parts of life. They aren’t always right, but I give them more of the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

Now this is hilarious. Armchair ref who says that KU benefits from "ridiculous" officiating in Allen every year is telling an actual ref that he shouldn't second guess the officials. Can't make this stuff up. 😂

Kentucky got three massive gifts in that game, btw. Starting with the phantom foul that sent the game to OT.

Why would I assume that you also know better? Both of you seem dead set on the opinion. Right now I’m seeing an argument between someone who sees it in real time and gets training on these sorts of things versus someone who doesn’t. You may be right, but all else equal, I’ll generally go with the professional opinion.

Edit to add: I thought the same thing as you initially. That it was an okay call except they didn’t call it on Dillingham earlier. But I do try to listen to professionals on their field when they tell me I’m wrong for whatever reason. It’s the same for this as other parts of life. They aren’t always right, but I give them more of the benefit of the doubt.
Again, Borden being a ref has nothing to do with being able to judge intent. The ref called intent, which again, is irrelevant from whether or not the player does it each shot.

Just b/c Borden is a ref does not mean he can judge intent on a guy sticking a leg out while watching on TV better than anyone else. And it is ludicrous to say that, honestly.

Essentially what you want me to believe is the ref who called it live got it it wrong because Borden understands the TAMUs player's motivation and intent, while the ref actually at the game doesn't. Just not buying it.

Now this is hilarious. Armchair ref who says that KU benefits from "ridiculous" officiating in Allen every year is telling an actual ref that he shouldn't second guess the officials. Can't make this stuff up. 😂

Kentucky got three massive gifts in that game, btw. Starting with the phantom foul that sent the game to OT.
I have said numerous times that UK got a very favorable whistle...did you not see that? Or are you intentionally omitting that I acknowledged that? Maybe we should get Borden in here to judge your intent...

And yes, KU does benefit from ridiculous officiating at home, nothing new there.

Again, Borden being a ref has nothing to do with being able to judge intent. The ref called intent, which again, is irrelevant from whether or not the player does it each shot.

Just b/c Borden is a ref does not mean he can judge intent on a guy sticking a leg out while watching on TV better than anyone else. And it is ludicrous to say that, honestly.

Essentially what you want me to believe is the ref who called it live got it it wrong because Borden understands the TAMUs player's motivation and intent, while the ref actually at the game doesn't. Just not buying it.
I don’t want to believe anything. The result is what it is, and I’m not the one with a true rooting interest.

Going back to some of your posts your original argument seems to have been intent doesn’t matter. He disagreed and said by rule it’s the officials job to judge intent, and based on his assessment it was a bad call. Now you’re just saying that he can’t judge intent because he wasn’t there.

Tell you what, I’ll meet you in the middle. How about we say that the rule is that intent matters just like Borden has argued but that it appeared to be intentional just like Dillingham’s did. I’ll also agree with you that they should change the rule so intent doesn't matter to take some of the judgement out of the call. That the best I can do.

It does matter.

Your wife should kick your butt for being a UK hater. 🤣

kicking-girl.gif

I don’t want to believe anything. The result is what it is, and I’m not the one with a true rooting interest.

Going back to some of your posts your original argument seems to have been intent doesn’t matter. He disagreed and said by rule it’s the officials job to judge intent, and based on his assessment it was a bad call. Now you’re just saying that he can’t judge intent because he wasn’t there.

Tell you what, I’ll meet you in the middle. How about we say that the rule is that intent matters just like Borden has argued but that it appeared to be intentional just like Dillingham’s did. I’ll also agree with you that they should change the rule so intent doesn't matter to take some of the judgement out of the call. That the best I can do.
Correct, I am saying that intent doesn't matter, because whether or not a player kicks their leg out as part of their shooting motion, or kick it out as something not part of their shooting motion, it is still being done intentionally all the time. I am not saying anything about what the rule book says as far as judging intentionality.

Separately from the rule book discussion, Borden clearly said that the official got it wrong, to which I am saying, how does Borden know if it was intentional? How does he know what is going through the players' head? I find that ridiculous.

Doesn't matter anyways though. TAMU got the much deserved win. Appreciate the spirited back and forth!

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
I have said numerous times that UK got a very favorable whistle...did you not see that? Or are you intentionally omitting that I acknowledged that? Maybe we should get Borden in here to judge your intent...

And yes, KU does benefit from ridiculous officiating at home, nothing new there.

So Borden isn’t qualified to question officials’ judgment, but you are. This is great stuff. 😂

The numbers show that KU’s home foul disparity is middle of the pack in the Big 12 and lower than Duke’s and Kentucky’s (Which isn’t hard to believe after seeing the whistle you got on the road).

Prove me wrong.

So Borden isn’t qualified to question officials’ judgment, but you are. This is great stuff. 😂

The numbers show that KU’s home foul disparity is middle of the pack in the Big 12 and lower than Duke’s and Kentucky’s (Which isn’t hard to believe after seeing the whistle you got on the road).

Prove me wrong.
Did you not read what I posted? Borden is no better telling us the intent of a player from a game on TV than you or I are...intent requires a premeditated decision to do something. Which mean someone has to think about it to do it. You are telling me Borden was inside the TAMUs player's head in order to tell us if the leg kick was intentional? That's what you are going with?

And I would never waste my time again giving you factual evidence of anything. I did all that and more in proving that KU is a historically inferior program to UK and UNC, and you still refuse to accept the factual evidence.

Did you not read what I posted? Borden is no better telling us the intent of a player from a game on TV than you or I are...intent requires a premeditated decision to do something. Which mean someone has to think about it to do it. You are telling me Borden was inside the TAMUs player's head in order to tell us if the leg kick was intentional? That's what you are going with?

And I would never waste my time again giving you factual evidence of anything. I did all that and more in proving that KU is a historically inferior program to UK and UNC, and you still refuse to accept the factual evidence.

No, it’s simple. I’m laughing at the idea that Borden isn’t qualified to question the judgment of officials, but you’re qualified to label the officiating in Allen “ridiculous.” Who are you to say that?

I haven’t refused to accept any facts. You just missed the whole point of that exchange.

Anyway, where’s your proof that KU consistently benefits from “ridiculous” officiating in Allen? I hope you don’t think a questionable call or two will prove your point. By that logic, I could argue that UK gets a better whistle on the road than KU gets at Allen, based solely on the A&M game.

Let me see.....how the heck do you know? How the heck does the official who made the call know? How do I know?

Answer----None of us know. If the official felt he did so with intent---so be it. I do not. Its really that simple.

Were you inside the TAMU's guys head? Was the official who made the call inside his head?

Its an opinion....Its an opinon I came to with 20+ years of officiating experience under my belt. How many years you got?

Correct, I am saying that intent doesn't matter, because whether or not a player kicks their leg out as part of their shooting motion, or kick it out as something not part of their shooting motion, it is still being done intentionally all the time. I am not saying anything about what the rule book says as far as judging intentionality.

Separately from the rule book discussion, Borden clearly said that the official got it wrong, to which I am saying, how does Borden know if it was intentional? How does he know what is going through the players' head? I find that ridiculous.

Doesn't matter anyways though. TAMU got the much deserved win. Appreciate the spirited back and forth!
Intent DOES MATTER. Otherwise, its a defensive foul. This is not hard, brother.

A)---If the official feels he intentionally kicked his leg out, to draw contact, its an offensive foul.

B)---If the official does not feel he intentiaonally kicked his leg out, and his action was that of his normal shot---its a defensive foul.

So yes---INTENT absolutely matters.

For me? I think its to "iffy" to mess with. I have NOTHING here. Play on. Why? Because its borderline as ****. If I make that call(either way), I wamt it to be OBVIOUS as ****. And it was not. So for me, I got NOTHING. Play on.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne

If you are good official, you recognize this. You make a mental note: "This kid does this, or that---on each shot."--Basically like watching a pitcher. Ok, he has done this consistently every time. So im not gonna balk him. Same instance here. This kid has a funky form...i.e., Dillingham. You notice this. If he now sways from this---Ok, now maybe we got something. He has now altered his shot rlease/form---and has done so to simply cause contact.

That is a problem.

Here is the thing, bro. Fans bitch----then they see the replay---and go one or two ways---"How did they make that call, or B) How did they miss that. So with that being said, you are telling me its ridiculous of me to not agree wit the call, but its ok for you ta agree with it? Why is that?

If I agreed with the call, I doubt you'd be questioning my ability then.

Were you inside the TAMU's guys head? Was the official who made the call inside his head?

Its an opinion....Its an opinon I came to with 20+ years of officiating experience under my belt. How many years you got?
I will say, there is nothing more annoying than someone who makes an argument out of authority...like all those athletes who ridicule those by saying "you ever play the game before? If not keep your mouth closed." Always love those people...always a good way to shut down a conversation.

I will say, there is nothing more annoying than someone who makes an argument out of authority...like all those athletes who ridicule those by saying "you ever play the game before? If not keep your mouth closed." Always love those people...always a good way to shut down a conversation.
I wll say, there's noting more annoying than someone who makes an argument out of bias.....like all those UK fans who would have lost their ****ing minds if any of those three calls had went against UK---Yes the foul that sent Shep to the line at the end of regulation was iffy as **** as well.

Intent DOES MATTER. Otherwise, its a defensive foul. This is not hard, brother.

A)---If the official feels he intentionally kicked his leg out, to draw contact, its an offensive foul.

B)---If the official does not feel he intentiaonally kicked his leg out, and his action was that of his normal shot---its a defensive foul.

So yes---INTENT absolutely matters.

For me? I think its to "iffy" to mess with. I have NOTHING here. Play on. Why? Because its borderline as ****. If I make that call(either way), I wamt it to be OBVIOUS as ****. And it was not. So for me, I got NOTHING. Play on.
I am not arguing the rule. And anytime a player sticks a leg out, whether it is part of his shooting motion or not part of his shooting motion, it is still intentional on their part.

If I were a coach, I would tell my players to now make sticking their leg out part of their normal shooting motion. That way it wil be a foul on the defense every time according to what you indicated above.

If you needed an opinon on having a surgery, who would you listen to...

A surgeon, or farmer?

I wll say, there's noting more annoying than someone who makes an argument out of bias.....like all those UK fans who would have lost their ****ing minds if any of those three calls had went against UK---Yes the foul that sent Shep to the line at the end of regulation was iffy as **** as well.
For the millionth time, I have already said UK got a great whistle.. why are people not seeing this...strange to say the least.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I am not arguing the rule. And anytime a player sticks a leg out, whether it is part of his shooting motion or not part of his shooting motion, it is still intentional on their part.

If I were a coach, I would tell my players to now make sticking their leg out part of their normal shooting motion. That way it wil be a foul on the defense every time according to what you indicated above.
You're simply not worth having this discussion with.

Intent of the rule is very important here. YOu just cannot ignore that.

Deviating from your normal shooting habit is KEY, dumb ass. If it is exaggerated---well, that's an issue. If you have a "hitch" that turns into a fukin full leg kick, well, I mean.....

You cannot possibly be this fukin ignorant.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT