ADVERTISEMENT

Worst blown calls you’ve witnessed?

Yet Another UK Fan

Aug 4, 2022
God’s Country
Team
Kentucky
What calls have you seen that have been a blatant screw job? Hell UK has chapters of these. Even particular refs! Chapter 1: John Higgins.

Any TCU fans in the house? I didn’t watch the game but there seems to be a lot of mad basketball fans out there afterwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
What calls have you seen that have been a blatant screw job? Hell UK has chapters of these. Even particular refs! Chapter 1: John Higgins.

Any TCU fans in the house? I didn’t watch the game but there seems to be a lot of mad basketball fans out there afterwards.
So are you going to give us any excerpts from Chapter 1?

5 minutes ago.
Ref missed 4 touches in my daughters under 13 volleyball match.

• Haha
Reactions: I am stupid
Probably the blown no-call on the travel by Dicky Beal at Rupp Arena in the 1984 NCAA tourney vs. the Illini. It’s the reason games are now played at neutral sites instead of on a team’s home court.

Probably the most well known blown call of all time is the refs not calling Chris Weber for traveling in the closing seconds of the title game. Fortunately, he lost his mind moments later and vindicated the refs.

Probably the blown no-call on the travel by Dicky Beal at Rupp Arena in the 1984 NCAA tourney vs. the Illini. It’s the reason games are now played at neutral sites instead of on a team’s home court.

Bull shit. What about the three or four fouls not called?

That game was played at Rupp; however, that is not "the reason games are now played at neutral sites".

What about all those games that UK lost in the NCAA on Maryland's home court or North Carolina's home court or Tennessee's home court. GEEZE get a life.

Reactions: jlock7614
Bull shit. What about the three or four fouls not called?

That game was played at Rupp; however, that is not "the reason games are now played at neutral sites".

What about all those games that UK lost in the NCAA on Maryland's home court or North Carolina's home court or Tennessee's home court. GEEZE get a life.
UK is the only team that has never benefited from a bad call.

Its absoolutrly amazing.

UK is the only team that has never benefited from a bad call.

Its absoolutrly amazing.
And refs like you make bad calls because::::::::
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
warning-you-final-careful-now.gif

The kid was just pumped for making a game-saving play. Not like he kicked the ball into the stands or threw it down court.

Had a similar one in TAH a couple seasons ago when a player tossed the ball to the ref on the baseline after a made basket and was called. Can't recall if it was a T or a Delay of Game.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Random UK Fan
Had a similar one in TAH a couple seasons ago when a player tossed the ball to the ref on the baseline after a made basket and was called. Can't recall if it was a T or a Dely of Game.
Yeah, stuff like this and the video of UK vs aTM seem like judgement calls. The technical in the video cost us the win. The 2 shots gave them the lead for good. I mean, let a kid be excited. It wasn’t directed at anyone, it wasn’t taunting, it didn’t touch anybody. Not sure what the big deal was.

Reactions: cdbearde
Had a similar one in TAH a couple seasons ago when a player tossed the ball to the ref on the baseline after a made basket and was called. Can't recall if it was a T or a Delay of Game.
Game was at Iowa. Had already been a delay of game warning. Technical was called.

As far as getting screwed, there was one game against Duke where they got like 3 or 4 blatantly terrible calls (Seth Curry took like four steps before a three and Zeller was shoved in the back and actually scored for the bad guys) and it was the reason UNC lost. One of only two games where I felt like UNC legit lost because of the refs. There have probably been more I thought they won because of calls. Sometimes your team benefits from a call and sometimes they get screwed. Reasonable people understand this.

As far as getting screwed, there was one game against Duke where they got like 3 or 4 blatantly terrible calls (Seth Curry took like four steps before a three and Zeller was shoved in the back and actually scored for the bad guys) and it was the reason UNC lost. One of only two games where I felt like UNC legit lost because of the refs. There have probably been more I thought they won because of calls. Sometimes your team benefits from a call and sometimes they get screwed. Reasonable people understand this.
Before I started officiating, Iwas one of those---"the refs...."----Hell even why I played. Then I got into officiating---and as I moved up the ladder, I realized----"We are just another part of the game..."

I have never felt any call I have made, we made as a crew, or what not, has ever cost a team the game. No more than turnoveers...missed FT's, shots, etc, etc.....To me, its just another aspect. Bad calls happen. Just like bad passes, bad shots, teams just simply playing bad, etc..

Had a game the other night. Team lost by one. AS we are headed to the locker room a lady yells---"Hope you guys are happy...fukin cost us the game..." Ya just chuckle. We get back and I ask for the stat sheet....Team that lost had 14 turnovers.....was 9-19 from the FT line, and 2-14 from three. Cory I swear man, I just don't recall missing that many shots my man...

Before I started officiating, Iwas one of those---"the refs...."----Hell even why I played. Then I got into officiating---and as I moved up the ladder, I realized----"We are just another part of the game..."

I have never felt any call I have made, we made as a crew, or what not, has ever cost a team the game. No more than turnoveers...missed FT's, shots, etc, etc.....To me, its just another aspect. Bad calls happen. Just like bad passes, bad shots, teams just simply playing bad, etc..

Had a game the other night. Team lost by one. AS we are headed to the locker room a lady yells---"Hope you guys are happy...fukin cost us the game..." Ya just chuckle. We get back and I ask for the stat sheet....Team that lost had 14 turnovers.....was 9-19 from the FT line, and 2-14 from three. Cory I swear man, I just don't recall missing that many shots my man...

Sure, but unless a team shoots 100 percent an official can always say it isn't their fault. That is also usually true IMO. It seldom is the officials fault. Sometimes, the refs costs a team a game though. They aren't absolved from blame just because they don't play.

Sure, but unless a team shoots 100 percent an official can always say it isn't their fault. That is also usually true IMO. It seldom is the officials fault. Sometimes, the refs costs a team a game though. They aren't absolved from blame just because they don't play.
Never said officials shouldn't get SOME blame----But all of it? Naaaah. And that is exactly what fans do when they say---"Officials cost us the game.."

Yeah, stuff like this and the video of UK vs aTM seem like judgement calls. The technical in the video cost us the win. The 2 shots gave them the lead for good. I mean, let a kid be excited. It wasn’t directed at anyone, it wasn’t taunting, it didn’t touch anybody. Not sure what the big deal was.
Here is the thing.....It is against the rules. And guess what----TX A&M knows this. So if I ignore it, what is my explanation to them?

Reactions: ExitFlagger
My beef with refs in recent years are the bad calls made when they are clearly out of position or shielded from the play.

The game has gotten too fast for these old mostly bald guys.

MLB adds umpires for their playoff so why not add on court refs for the tourney?

I believe with the money available from the tourney, why not add 2 or 3 refs so bad calls from positioning are eliminated and to reduce time spent on reviews?

My beef with refs in recent years are the bad calls made when they are clearly out of position or shielded from the play.

The game has gotten too fast for these old mostly bald guys.

MLB adds umpires for their playoff so why not add on court refs for the tourney?

I believe with the money available from the tourney, why not add 2 or 3 refs so bad calls from positioning are eliminated and to reduce time spent on reviews?
Where would you put them? How would you determine PCA?

Three officials is plenty. I could MAYBE see a 4th.

Even with more, still gonna be the same issues. Basketball is the hardest sport by far to officiate. A game where contact is illegal, but also can be legal----played with these types of athletes----and the speed they play at---In such a small area.

Yeah.....

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Easy. The double tech issues to Sheldon Williams and Alexander Johnson in Cameron back in 2006. Sheldon was clearly the instigator and AJ was honest to goodness trying to back away with both hands up.

Double tech, it’s Sheldon’s 4th and AJ’s 5th. So he’s gone, in a game where he and Al Thornton were dominating. Sheldon plays the final 8-10 minutes, plus OT without picking up a 5th.

Duke had something like 40 free throws to FSU’s 5 or 6…despite FSU shooting about 80% of their shots in the paint that day and being aggressive to the rim all day long.

The entire ref crew was suspended and publicly reprimanded. FSU lost and finished as the 1st or 2nd team out on selection Sunday.

I’m guessing a win over Duke in Cameron gets them in.

Not so sure he traveled, tbh....His L foot is his pivot---Maybe it drags? Not sure. The number of steps make it look, "bad". But that doesn't make it a travel.

Where would you put them? How would you determine PCA?

Three officials is plenty. I could MAYBE see a 4th.

Even with more, still gonna be the same issues. Basketball is the hardest sport by far to officiate. A game where contact is illegal, but also can be legal----played with these types of athletes----and the speed they play at---In such a small area.

Yeah.....

Would say 3 refs was fine before the shot clock and with the 45 sec shot clock.

I'm guessing team game possessions is up 20+% from that time? Equaling more calls made while running or jogging and not semi-stationary as it used to be

The extended 3 point line, also spreads out the action so it's not as condensed, but also spreads out off ball action/contact.

More long 3s, equaling longer rebounds, equaling quicker run outs, and quicker changes to in ends of the court.

The Kansas player vs. IU who was rejected by the rim and fell on his face on a runout dunk where he wasn't touched is an inexcusable bad call for example

To answer your question.

I would park a ref permanently on each baseline to properly officiate fast breaks and run outs.

During a possession, 2 refs on the baseline on each side of the bucket with 2 on the sidelines on the wings/out top. 1 ref near the half court sideline who flexes to be the second baseline line ref on a change in possession.

So a total or 5 refs for optimal court coverage.

My intent with this idea is to reduce the number of bad calls, and make refs challenging jobs easier, not to replace refs like you with AI robots.

The kid was just pumped for making a game-saving play. Not like he kicked the ball into the stands or threw it down court.

I remember watching that when I waited tables in college. I would love to sit here and say it was a bad call, but IH has to be smarter than that. You can be excited about making a great play without throwing the ball across the floor

Reactions: Random UK Fan
ADVERTISEMENT