ADVERTISEMENT

7th Annual College Basketball Draft

I think Dukedevils has the best roster, followed by boilerzz, followed by me
Loop Trump GIF

Of course, I have no idea how the scoring works. But, that's a minor detail.

I got lazy with the XJ and Ware picks. But I really like Mgbako.

I saw that Todd Leary believes Mgbako is the best shooter at IU since Jay Edwards. That's some serious praise.

He definitely has talent. Crazy to think he could have been on Duke's already loaded roster. Guess that's what happens when Flip and Mitchell both return.

Loop Trump GIF

Of course, I have no idea how the scoring works. But, that's a minor detail.

You might have wanted to review the scoring details before you drafted anybody lol.

Looking for 10-14 posters for this draft. Last year, we had 12 posters and we had 12 rounds for an even 144 selections. Somewhere around February we'll have a cutoff date to select your top 9 players for scoring. Your bottom 3 players will effectively be cut. But, at least this allows a grace period for season-ending injuries - and guys that are complete busts.

The scoring will be a combination of win shares + postseason accolades. Please let me know if you think any part of the scoring system needs to be reexamined.

Scoring system for postseason awards
10 points- National Player of the Year (AP for All-American Teams)
9 points- 1st Team All-American
8 points- 2nd Team All-American
7 points- 3rd Team All-American; NABC Defensive POY
6 points- Honorable Mention All-American; Final Four MOP
5 points- Conference Player of the Year; All Tournament Team
4 points- 1st Team All-Conference; Conference Defensive POY; NCAA Regional MOP
3 points- 2nd Team All-Conference; All Regional Team
2 points- 3rd Team All-Conference; All-Conference Defense; Conference Tournament MOP
1 point- Honorable Mention All-Conference; All Tournament Team

Players that aren't in a Power-6 Conference will have a lower point total for conference awards
3 points- Conference POY
2 points- 1st Team All-Conference
1 point- 2nd Team All-Conference

However, if a conference has 4 teams in the KenPom top 50, they should be granted the full amount of points. If they have 4 teams in the top 100, I'll only deduct 1 point (i.e. 4 points for CPOY, 3 points for 1st Team All-Conference). From last season, the Power 6 conferences all received 4 points for 1st Team All-Conference. While, the AAC, MWC, WCC, and Sun Belt received 3 points for 1st Team. The remaining 22 conferences would have a 2 point deduction, and thus only receive 2 points for 1st Team All-Conference.

Also, be aware the Pac-12 and SEC don't delineate all-conference awards in a typical 5 players for each team format. Pac-12 has 10 on the first team; SEC has 8. With the scoring system, we will make a clear distinction of who is awarded with 1st Team Points and 2nd Team Points. The Conference POY automatically makes the 1st Team + the next 4 players with the highest Win Shares.

For an explanation on Win Shares, but visit here.

My top 12 guys that were not drafted:

1) Dylan Disu - Texas - Came on strong late and was B12 tourney MVP. I almost pulled the trigger a couple of times but the rest of his team is formidable too and I'm not sure how much he'll be a focal point of the offense
2) J'Wan Roberts - Houston - Dude averaged 10 and 8 and collected 6.1 win shares for a Houston team that needs to fill a void from losing their top 3 scorers
3) Julian Reese - Maryland - I wanted to draft this guy. He's flashed All Big Ten potential but hasn't had the consistency. If he get there this year, we'll all regret it
4) Tristen Newton - UConn - Averaged 10, 5 and 5 and had 4.9 win shares last year. He will outperform a lot of the guys we drafted
5) Berke Buyuktuncel - UCLA - If he was cleared by the NCAA, I would likely have drafted him. He's got star potential on a roster without a clear alpha IMO
6) Steven Ashworth - Creighton - I'm fascinated to see how he blends with Creighton's other great players. He could put up really good numbers
7) Coleman Hawkins - Illinois - Maybe 2nd team All Big Ten. I just couldn't draft him because I can't stand him and he doesn't put up big counting stats
8) Tyler Burton - Nova - Averaged 19 and 7 for Richmond last year. Just not sure how much of an alpha he'll be on a team that returns Justin Moore, Eric Dixon and Mark Armstrong
9) Tyler Wahl - Wisconsin - Some will say that Wisky will go as Hepburn and Crowl go but Wahl is the key. When he was hurt last year, they struggled. If he is healthy, he's got 2nd team All Big Ten upside
T10) Khalif Battle and Devo Davis - Arkansas - @dukedevilz alluded to this earlier when talking about Arkansas. It's just hard to tell who's going to emerge between these guys, Brazile and Tramon Mark. If Battle or Davis do, they'll be a great pick. If not, we were wise not to draft them.
12) Josiah-Jordan James - Tennessee - Part of the three headed monster returning to Tennessee and the only one that's completely healthy right now.

Devo Davis was almost my last round pick. Felt like I already had enough SEC guys though.

Did the history for Pick'Em earlier today. Here's the Draft history.

My best team ever was probably 2018-19. I had 3 All-Americans in Cassius Winston (1st Team), Jarrett Culver (2nd Team), and Dedric Lawson (3rd Team). But, sdsufan pulled off a team for the ages. Ja Morant (1st Team), Markus Howard (2nd Team), Ethan Happ (2nd Team), and Brandon Clarke (3rd Team).

I'd be shocked if anyone could ever replicate 4 All-Americans on the same team. Bananas! For reference, I won the league last year with 84.6 total points, and we scored 9 players. sdsufan10 won the league with 102.4 points, and we only scored 8 players then.

2017-18
1. Danger 35 Zone
2. dukedevilz
3. WojoRising

2018-19
1. sdsufan10
2. dukedevilz
3. ThroughBlue

2019-20
1. GE Nole
2. dukedevilz
3. hailtoyourvictor

2020-21
1. boilerzz
2. hailtoyourvictor
3. MGC_07

2021-22
1. dukedevilz
2. Noahtogo24
3. boilerzz

2022-23
1. dukedevilz
2. FaithPlusOne
3. WojoRising

Podium Finishes
-dukedevilz: 2 Golds, 3 Silvers
-boilerzz: 1 Gold, 1 Bronze
-hailtoyourvictor: 1 Silver, 1 Bronze
-WojoRising: 2 Bronzes
-Danger 35 Zone: 1 Gold
-sdsufan10: 1 Gold
-GE Nole: 1 Gold
-Noahtogo24: 1 Silver
-FaithPlusOne: 1 Silver
-ThroughBlue: 1 Bronze
-MGC_07: 1 Bronze

I saw that Todd Leary believes Mgbako is the best shooter at IU since Jay Edwards. That's some serious praise.

He definitely has talent. Crazy to think he could have been on Duke's already loaded roster. Guess that's what happens when Flip and Mitchell both return.
When I saw that statement by Todd, I was like---"Bro----easy." After all, Ewards shot 53% from three as a freshman. 49% as a soph. BUT........Seeing his shot vs Marian, and the scouting on him, might not be so far fetched. He has a beautiful stroke.

But Jay Edwards? Wow.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Other Conferences
Devontae Blanton, Eastern Kentucky
Daniel Batcho, Louisiana Tech
Tyler Thomas, Hofstra
Tristan Enaruna, Cleveland State
Keegan Records, Colgate
Keyshaun Langley, UNCG
Terrence Edwards, James Madison
Rayshon Harrison, Grandy Canyon

He was on my short list of mid-major notables. And James Madison was the Sun Belt preseason favorite. Not a great loss for Sparty, but they didn't lose to a bad team.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Those are really good 3rd and 4th picks. Though, you don't get any Win Shares for a loss.

I think my biggest regret of the draft was taking AJ Hoggard. Was thinking he wasn't that far behind Tyson Walker in production. But, I don't think he'll ever be the offensive threat that Walker is.
Hoggard will be fine. He's not a great shooter but will still average 12-14 points and 5-6 assists. They will need him to produce because their frontcourt is questionable.

Hoggard will be fine. He's not a great shooter but will still average 12-14 points and 5-6 assists. They will need him to produce because their frontcourt is questionable.
didn't they just lose to some shitbag last night? Define "fine"?

didn't they just lose to some shitbag last night? Define "fine"?
I'm talking about the individual. MSU has some issues that people seemed to gloss over because Izzo is Izzo. I still think they end up being in the 4-5 seed range but they had too many questions to be top 5.

I'm talking about the individual. MSU has some issues that people seemed to gloss over because Izzo is Izzo. I still think they end up being in the 4-5 seed range but they had too many questions to be top 5.
and Izzo is a douchebag. Too many people gloss over that as well.

Reactions: boilerzz
I just can't understand why Xavier Booker is behind this guy on the depth chart.

carson-cooper.jpg

As someone who followed his recruitment closely for the last several years, I can tell you it's because Booker is much more prospect than player. Dude completely disappeared in high school games even as a senior and was a top 5 recruit in his class?

As someone who followed his recruitment closely for the last several years, I can tell you it's because Booker is much more prospect than player. Dude completely disappeared in high school games even as a senior and was a top 5 recruit in his class?

He fell to #13 in the composite rankings. I've heard he's a bit raw; I wasn't expecting him to start over Sissoko, but I would think he could offer more than whatever Carson Cooper can.

Either way, the success of MSU is highly contingent upon those guards.

clearly they have him mistaken for his HS teammate Cooper Flagg

lol right. His his high school photo does look similar. How disappointing would that be, to expect Cooper Flagg and get Carson Cooper?

IMG and Montverde are two different schools, but they do seem to be carbon-copy programs.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Walter in the 4th and Holloway in the 6th already looking like the best value picks of the draft.

how you like dem apples @dukedevilz ? Can I get some receipts?

Walter in the 4th and Holloway in the 6th already looking like the best value picks of the draft.

how you like dem apples @dukedevilz ? Can I get some receipts?

Ja'Kobe Walter is nice. I like him. He'll be a gamer all season long. He very likely will be Baylor's most valuable player.

But, you might want to pump the brakes a little on having the two best valued picks of the draft. Walter had a Player Efficiency Rating of 32.4 last night, which is outstanding. But, it's not like there weren't dozens of other players who played just as well, if not better.

Player Efficiency Rating
1.Norchad Omier Miami (FL)60.0
2.Jan Zidek Chattanooga59.7
3.Elijah Gray Fordham58.6
4.Hunter Dickinson Kansas57.9
5.Jordan King Richmond56.2
6.Dillon Jones Weber State54.7
7.Daylen Williams Texas-Rio Grande Valley54.3
8.Nico Galette Sacred Heart52.4
9.Quinten Post Boston College52.2
10.Allan Jeanne-Rose Central Connecticut51.7

Ja'Kobe Walter is nice. I like him. He'll be a gamer all season long. He very likely will be Baylor's most valuable player.

But, you might want to pump the brakes a little on having the two best valued picks of the draft. Walter had a Player Efficiency Rating of 32.4 last night, which is outstanding. But, it's not like there weren't dozens of other players who played just as well, if not better.

Player Efficiency Rating
2.Jan Zidek Chattanooga59.7
3.Elijah Gray Fordham58.6
4.Hunter Dickinson Kansas57.9
5.Jordan King Richmond56.2
6.Dillon Jones Weber State54.7
7.Daylen Williams Texas-Rio Grande Valley54.3
8.Nico Galette Sacred Heart52.4
9.Quinten Post Boston College52.2
10.Allan Jeanne-Rose Central Connecticut51.7
how many of those players are in our league and were drafted after Walker?

how many of those players are in our league and were drafted after Walker?

That was the national leaderboard. Walter's 32.4 is still very impressive because he did it against Auburn and not some sub-300 team. So, yes, he's a very good player and he does have All-American potential.

Walter does appear to have excellent value for Round 4. But, it seems a little odd to announce you had the steals of the draft after one game. Just about all of the P6 conferences had their top 10 players with a PER north of 32.4.

How many were drafted after Walter? Not as many, sure. But, still quite a few.

ACC- 1 (maybe more? top 10 cuts off at 37.6)
Pac 12- 3
Big East- 3
Big 12- 2
SEC- 2
Big Ten- 1

So, at least 12 from the power conferences. But, you also had Tramon Mark, who had a higher rating, too. I remarked that your 11th and 12th round picks (Tramon Mark & Hunter Sallis) were better than your 7th & 8th round picks, which I believe is true. Those two guys could be valuable pieces.

Player Efficiency Rating
2.Quinten Post Boston College52.2
3.Kyle Filipowski Duke46.3
4.Armando Bacot UNC42.3
5.Reece Beekman Virginia41.1
6.Jaylen Blakes Duke39.3
7.Michael O'Connell NC State39.3
8.PJ Hall Clemson38.3
9.Andrew Carr Wake Forest38.1
10.Cameron Hildreth Wake Forest37.6

Player Efficiency Rating
1.Adem Bona UCLA46.3
2.KJ Simpson Colorado45.0
3.Rollie Worster Utah42.7
4.Fardaws Aimaq California38.1
5.Kylan Boswell Arizona37.9
6.Koren Johnson Washington37.3
7.Nate Calmese Washington35.4
8.Isaac Jones Washington State35.1
9.Josiah Lake II Oregon State32.9
10.Jalen Celestine California32.7

Player Efficiency Rating
1.Joel Soriano St. John's (NY)41.9
2.Alex Karaban UConn38.9
3.Trey Alexander Creighton38.5
4.Supreme Cook Georgetown36.4
5.Kameron Jones Marquette36.0
6.TJ Bamba Villanova35.4
7.Baylor Scheierman Creighton34.3
8.Kadary Richmond Seton Hall33.6
9.Chris Ledlum St. John's (NY)32.8
10.Ryan Kalkbrenner Creighton31.3

Player Efficiency Rating
1.Hunter Dickinson Kansas57.9
2.Micah Peavy TCU44.3
3.JaKobe Coles TCU42.8
4.Otega Oweh Oklahoma42.2
5.Kevin McCullar Kansas41.6
6.Jameer Nelson TCU39.8
7.Milan Momcilovic Iowa State38.7
8.Tamin Lipsey Iowa State38.0
9.Emanuel Sharp Houston33.9
10.Noah Waterman BYU33.6

Player Efficiency Rating
1.Grant Nelson Alabama45.1
2.Sean East Missouri42.6
3.Wade Taylor Texas A&M41.2
4.Micah Handlogten Florida39.5
5.Reed Sheppard Kentucky38.9
6.Hayden Hefner Texas A&M38.8
7.Ta'Lon Cooper South Carolina36.8
8.Riley Kugel Florida36.1
9.Tramon Mark Arkansas35.2
10.Josiah-Jordan James Tennessee34.6

Player Efficiency Rating
1.Zach Edey Purdue44.7
2.Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn Illinois42.5
3.Payton Sandfort Iowa41.3
4.Olivier Nkamhoua Michigan35.2
5.Josiah Allick Nebraska34.3
6.Nimari Burnett Michigan34.0
7.Tyson Walker Michigan State33.4
8.Ben Krikke Iowa32.6
9.Dasonte Bowen Iowa32.3
10.Dawson Garcia Minnesota32.3

people laughed when I took Boo Buie with the last pick of the first round. They won't be laughing when he wins Big10 player of the year and lands on an All American team.

ADVERTISEMENT