3. Jaylen Clark, UCLA, NABC Defensive POY- 12.1 points
4. Keyonate Johnson, Kansas State, 3rd Team All-American- 11.5 points
5. Souley Boum, Xavier, HM All-American- 11.4 points
6. Wade Taylor, Texas A&M, HM All-American- 11.2 points
7. Tyree Appleby, Wake Forest, HM All-American- 11.1 points
8. Taevion Kinsey, Marshall, Conference POY- 11.0 points
9. Tylor Perry, North Texas, Conference POY- 10.8 points
10. Hunter Tyson, Clemson, 1st Team All-Conference- 10.0 points

I did draft Keyonate and Kinsey on my JV team, though.

The 3 players that @WeAreDePaul took right in front of me were: Marcus Sasser, Kris Murray, and Jordan Hawkins. Those were actually your 3 most productive players on your team... and you netted quite a bit over me on my backup plans.

Marcus Sasser > Jaime Jaquez +1.1
Kris Murray > Adam Flagler +1.1
Jordan Hawkins > Kam Jones +4.4

Total Difference: +6.6

I got you in the first 3 rounds, but your vastly superior depth of knowledge paid off in the later rounds where you destroyed me.

My first round pick being a complete bust sucked. Definitely wasted some picks on those Gonzaga guards.

Taking freshmen is always risky. If it makes you feel any better, I took Jaime Jaquez with my first round pick. But, I was actually very close to taking Nick Smith. He looked so good in the HS games I had seen of him. And Arkansas was bringing in plenty of talent where I thought they could be a top 10 team.

The difference in points between Jaquez and Nick Smith in the 1st Round is basically the difference between you and me in the final standings. I just as easily could have finished 5th. Losing out on the 1st Round pick was certainly a huge blow for your team.

I got you in the first 3 rounds, but your vastly superior depth of knowledge paid off in the later rounds where you destroyed me.

It's a crapshoot. There are thousands of guys that play D1 basketball. And some guys are going to break out. And some are going to underperform. Always takes a bit of luck to win this thing. Not having injuries always helps.

There are things I do in prep for the draft, of course. I like to look at advanced stats and see which players would do well, provided they received starter minutes. I prefer taking guys who stand out as the clear #1 guy on their team. And I like to look for any news on players that have stood out in the preseason. That's ultimately why I took Brandon Miller (I think he averaged close to 20 ppg in the preseason tour to Europe). He and Kris Murray were the two players I absolutely wanted, no questions, on my team. I figured they weren't rated high enough to be taken in rounds 1-2. So, the plan was to get them in Rounds 3-4.

Last edited:
FSU’s luck is rubbing off on me. Or maybe it’s mine to them!

Losing ain't fun. Gotta imagine the tide will turn soon for FSU.

And I know you won the draft one year. Maybe the 2019-20 season? Having a strategic plan helps winning this thing, but it certainly takes a stroke or two of luck, as well.

Reactions: GE Nole
REST OF THE PACK
4. @boilerzz- 72.2
5. @MGC_07- 70.8
6. @duckboy33- 68.5
7. @WeAreDePaul- 67.8
8. @hailtoyourvictor- 65.1
9. @JimboBBN- 64.9
10. @GE Nole- 55.4
11. @Jaycg15- 52.9
12. @lurkeraspect84- 46.8

I was looking at Hunter Maldonado's Win Shares and I thought 1.6 looked awfully low for the numbers he's putting up. Not sure where I got 1.6 from, but his Win Shares are 3.3 Which means, @WeAreDePaul's total is actually 69.5, putting him in 6th place

I'll go ahead and adjust the standings.

• Love
Reactions: WeAreDePaul
I was looking at Hunter Maldonado's Win Shares and I thought 1.6 looked awfully low for the numbers he's putting up. Not sure where I got 1.6 from, but his Win Shares are 3.3 Which means, @WeAreDePaul's total is actually 69.5, putting him in 6th place

I'll go ahead and adjust the standings.
keep adjusting. I might just end up on the podium yet.

I think I should have a sack-O avatar for coming in last in all three events. I'm pretty sure I came last in two.

Should folks have first dibs on players next year? ie if a player had Filipowski and he returns should he get first dibs or automatically get him? Kind of like building a team on old EA college games.

Should folks have first dibs on players next year? ie if a player had Filipowski and he returns should he get first dibs or automatically get him? Kind of like building a team on old EA college games.

I've thought about that. But, it'd be hard to manage. There's usually a few different posters from year-to-year. And some might lose 9-10 of their guys, while others may have 9-10 of those guys returning for another season of college basketball.

I had Trayce Jackson-Davis, Jalen Wilson, and Jaime Jaquez on my 2021-22 team. Getting 3 first round picks (and 3 All-Americans) before the draft even begins would certainly be an unfair advantage.

I definitely think there’s something to this if we want to play fair

I definitely think there’s something to this if we want to play fair

What would that look like? I'm open for exploring possibilities.

Just not sure anyone would have been excited about it this past season. That could have entitled me to TJD, Jalen Wilson, Jaime Jaquez - and then I'd draft Brandon Miller.

What would that look like? I'm open for exploring possibilities.

Just not sure anyone would have been excited about it this past season. That could have entitled me to TJD, Jalen Wilson, Jaime Jaquez - and then I'd draft Brandon Miller.
It looks like I have Filipowski on my team next year and I’m not really sure what other information is needed

On a serious note, I think it would be fun to have one “dynasty” pick per draft. It would involve some strategy of when to use, i.e. first round, when they may not be back, or maybe even the last round, if you thought a Christian Reeves (bad example) would explode later.

Also makes the drop interesting.

On a serious note, I think it would be fun to have one “dynasty” pick per draft. It would involve some strategy of when to use, i.e. first round, when they may not be back, or maybe even the last round, if you thought a Christian Reeves (bad example) would explode later.

Also makes the drop interesting.
i don't think it's a terrible idea, but I would only endorse it if the dynasty pick was made in a designated round at the very end of the draft. That way you aren't claiming dynasty status for superstar players you pick in the first 3 rounds. You are forced to take deep dive and grab someone who you hope develops into a player worthy of being in our league.

A single dynasty pick could be interesting.

It could potentially work like this: You can elect to retain one player, but if you do, that is your de facto first round pick. And you would get the tail end of round two for your next pick.

@WeAreDePaul mentions an interesting alternative. No dynasty picks for the first 3 rounds.

Both ideas are worth considering. I'd probably lean towards the latter, as the idea of @MGC_07 retaining Zach Edey would be a crazy advantage. And that would take place before any draft picks occurred.

A single dynasty pick could be interesting.

It could potentially work like this: You can elect to retain one player, but if you do, that is your de facto first round pick. And you would get the tail end of round two for your next pick.

@WeAreDePaul mentions an interesting alternative. No dynasty picks for the first 3 rounds.

Both ideas are worth considering. I'd probably lean towards the latter, as the idea of @MGC_07 retaining Zach Edey would be a crazy advantage. And that would take place before any draft picks occurred.
I would say no dynasty picks until after the draft is over. If it's 12 rounds we add a 13th round for dynasty. I think that makes it much more interesting as we try to find a guy who wasn't drafted, but has potential to be good enough to be a draft pick the next year. Adds a lot more strategy to it as opposed to just saying someone you drafted in teh 4th round is your keeper.

I've thought about that. But, it'd be hard to manage. There's usually a few different posters from year-to-year. And some might lose 9-10 of their guys, while others may have 9-10 of those guys returning for another season of college basketball.

I had Trayce Jackson-Davis, Jalen Wilson, and Jaime Jaquez on my 2021-22 team. Getting 3 first round picks (and 3 All-Americans) before the draft even begins would certainly be an unfair advantage.
Can release players but yeah, they'd be your first picks. That's the gamble.

Can also trade.
The clean sheet is the way to go, and don't think anyone who'd do the math on side games.

I would say no dynasty picks until after the draft is over. If it's 12 rounds we add a 13th round for dynasty. I think that makes it much more interesting as we try to find a guy who wasn't drafted, but has potential to be good enough to be a draft pick the next year. Adds a lot more strategy to it as opposed to just saying someone you drafted in teh 4th round is your keeper.

Interesting. I kind of like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT