7Jaedon LeDee, San Diego St.
6-9 · 240 · Sr · Houston, TX
8Hunter Dickinson, Kansas
7-2 · 260 · Sr · Alexandria, VA
9Kevin McCullar, Kansas
6-7 · 212 · Sr · San Antonio, TX
10Baylor Scheierman, Creighton
6-7 · 205 · Sr · Aurora, NE

That makes me feel a little better that I have two guys in the top 10.

My team overall, however, has been disappointing. Justin Moore (2nd Round) and Jaelen House (6th Round) have been dealing with injuries. Which is interesting to me, because I avoided PJ Hall mostly because of his injury history. Thought he was a top 25 player, if healthy. He's looked really good this season. Also missed out on Tristen Newton (JV Squad) who I looked at long and hard in the closing rounds - and I know you did the same. Just worried UConn was going to be a team with a lot of balanced scoring.

And then I have Aidan Mahaney (3rd Round) and AJ Hoggard (4th), who both may have regressed a little from last season. Don't think I'll get enough production from my picks in rounds 2-6 to seriously compete for a title.

But yes, to your original point, having Zach Edey is a huge edge! He's leaps and bounds ahead of the field. Fortunately for everyone else, I don't think Borden has enough talent around him to win the title.

My team overall, however, has been disappointing. Justin Moore (2nd Round) and Jaelen House (6th Round) have been dealing with injuries. Which is interesting to me, because I avoided PJ Hall mostly because of his injury history. Thought he was a top 25 player, if healthy. He's looked really good this season. Also missed out on Tristen Newton (JV Squad) who I looked at long and hard in the closing rounds - and I know you did the same. Just worried UConn was going to be a team with a lot of balanced scoring.

And then I have Aidan Mahaney (3rd Round) and AJ Hoggard (4th), who both may have regressed a little from last season. Don't think I'll get enough production from my picks in rounds 2-6 to seriously compete for a title.

But yes, to your original point, having Zach Edey is a huge edge! He's leaps and bounds ahead of the field. Fortunately for everyone else, I don't think Borden has enough talent around him to win the title.
Yeah, I don't hate my team but I don't love it either.

• Kalkbrenner is putting up great numbers but I thought he'd be more alpha than part of a three headed monster. He'll be an AA but I thought he could be 1st team.
  • I fell for the media hype on Tyrese Procter and he's been barely better than last year and now he's hurt. Fortunately, I picked up Jeremy Roach late and he's been great comparatively.
  • Boogie Ellis and Tyson Walker are both putting up great numbers but their teams are inexplicably bad which limits their upside. Same with Drew Pember
  • Isaiah Stevens has been great!
  • Alijah Martin was banged up early but should be fine
  • Emanuel Miller and Kam Jones have been what I thought they'd be and are solid late picks
  • Darrion Trammel and Aday Mara are looking like obvious midseason cuts (sadly, likely with my 2nd round pick Proctor)

Reactions: dukedevilz

can post the rosters on page 1? I have no idea who's on my team.

Yeah, I don't hate my team but I don't love it either.

• Kalkbrenner is putting up great numbers but I thought he'd be more alpha than part of a three headed monster. He'll be an AA but I thought he could be 1st team.
  • I fell for the media hype on Tyrese Procter and he's been barely better than last year and now he's hurt. Fortunately, I picked up Jeremy Roach late and he's been great comparatively.
  • Boogie Ellis and Tyson Walker are both putting up great numbers but their teams are inexplicably bad which limits their upside. Same with Drew Pember
  • Isaiah Stevens has been great!
  • Alijah Martin was banged up early but should be fine
  • Emanuel Miller and Kam Jones have been what I thought they'd be and are solid late picks
  • Darrion Trammel and Aday Mara are looking like obvious midseason cuts (sadly, likely with my 2nd round pick Proctor)

Stevens has been a stud. I've been a fan of his since he was a freshmen back in the 2019-20 covid season. I was worried about Colorado State's defense. It's still not great, but when you have a very elite offense, just hovering around 100 is good enough to be nationally relevant.

If the season ended today, Stevens would absolutely be an All-American. Just gotta keep winning. Can't afford to lose to many games in the MWC. I had David Roddy 2 years ago and he just missed All-American honors (I want to say he had the most votes of the Honorable Mentions). If Stevens can maintain his numbers, and CSU wins the Mountain West, I think he'll be an All-American.

Kalkbrenner could be an All-American; right now I'd say it's borderline. Also think he's a legit national defense player of the year candidate, which is the equivalent of 3rd Team All-American honrors... I honestly have no idea who has the best roster right now. I just know my depth is lacking this year.

Between Hunter Dickinson, PJ Hall, and Judah Mintz I’m more competitive than I thought I’d be.

That's a really solid trio right there. Dickinson and Hall would be All-Americans, if the season today. Mintz has All-American numbers, but Cuse would need to win more games for him to be in consideration. Still worthy of 1st Team All-ACC, though. Broome is really good, too. He's a 1st Team All-SEC Candidate, as well as SEC DPOY candidate.

Here's a way-too-early All-American forecast. And if this is anywhere in the right ballpark, then @GE Nole should be the early favorite. From his team, I've got Kolek on the 1st Team, and Simpson and Sears on the 2nd Team.

1st Team
Tyler Kolek, Marquette
Tristen Newton, UConn
Kevin McCullar, Kansas
Hunter Dickinson, Kansas
Zach Edey, Purdue

2nd Team
KJ Simpson, Colorado
Mark Sears, Alabama
Terrence Shannon, Illinois
PJ Hall, Clemson
Kyle Filipowski, Duke

3rd Team
Caleb Love, Arizona
Isaiah Stevens, Colorado State
David Jones, Memphis
Baylor Scheierman, Creighton
Jaedon Lee, San Diego State

HM (not in any particular order):
Wade Taylor, Texas A&M
Dalton Knecht, Tennessee
Reed Sheppard, Kentucky
Boogie Ellis, USC
Keion Brooks, Washington
Max Abmas, Texas
Tamin Lipsey, Iowa State
LJ Cryer, Houston
Otega Oweh, Oklahoma
Ryan Kalkbrenner, Creighton
Bryce Hopkins, Providence
Cam Spencer, UConn
Boo Buie, Northwestern
Kel'el Ware, Indiana
Vladislav Goldin, FAU
Blake Hinson, Pitt
Armando Bacot, UNC
RJ Davis, UNC
Judah Mintz, Syracuse
Terrence Edwards, James Madison

I forgot about Purdue's Braden Smith. He's gotta be on one of the All-American teams, actually. Not sure who you'd kick off, maybe Caleb Love. I had him on there because I felt like Arizona had been so good they deserved one player.

• Love
Reactions: WeAreDePaul
I forgot about Purdue's Braden Smith. He's gotta be on one of the All-American teams, actually. Not sure who you'd kick off, maybe Caleb Love. I had him on there because I felt like Arizona had been so good they deserved one player.
I feel like Smith is likely HM right now but if he keeps scoring like he did this week (27 against Bama and 26 against Arizona), he'll crack the top 3 teams.

He's currently the only player this century to average 14 points, 6 assists and 5 rebounds while shooting better than 45% from three.

Boogie Ellis and Tyson Walker are both putting up great numbers but their teams are inexplicably bad which limits their upside.
Suspicious-Kenan-Thompson-GIF-by-Saturday-Night-Live-downsized.gif

I feel like Smith is likely HM right now but if he keeps scoring like he did this week (27 against Bama and 26 against Arizona), he'll crack the top 3 teams.

He's currently the only player this century to average 14 points, 6 assists and 5 rebounds while shooting better than 45% from three.

Forecasting All-American teams this early on is difficult because you're often dealing with fools gold. Lots of inflated numbers from performing well against mediocre competition. It's hard for me to imagine Purdue not being a top 5 team by the end of the season. The AA teams are more forgiving to players on dominant teams, so I think if Braden is anywhere where he is right now, 14-6-7 with fantastic shooting splits, then he's very, very likely to end up on one of those All-American teams.

A lot can happen in three months, of course. But, I'd bet he ends up earning All-American honors.

• Love
Reactions: boilerzz
the question I have about David Jones is what prompted him to leave St John's this summer? Did Pitino tell him to go or was it Jones? If Pitino told him to leave or recruited over him that's a massively epic fail on his part.

the question I have about David Jones is what prompted him to leave St John's this summer? Did Pitino tell him to go or was it Jones? If Pitino told him to leave or recruited over him that's a massively epic fail on his part.

St. John's fired Mike Anderson. David Jones never played for Pitino. He entered the portal shortly after Pitino was hired.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
St. John's fired Mike Anderson. David Jones never played for Pitino. He entered the portal shortly after Pitino was hired.
Gotcha. That takes Pitino off the hook. I was thinking it was one of those Neon Deon scenarios where Pitino comes in day 1 and tells the team that 80% of them should transfer.

Sure wish I had the first pick this year:

2024 kenpom.com Player of the Year Standings​

Data through games of Sunday, December 17
PlayerkPOY
Rating
1Zach Edey, Purdue
7-4 · 300 · Sr · Toronto, ON
2Kyle Filipowski, Duke
7-0 · 248 · So · Westtown, NY
3PJ Hall, Clemson
6-10 · 238 · Sr · Spartanburg, SC
4Terrence Shannon, Illinois
6-6 · 225 · Sr · Chicago, IL
5Tristen Newton, Connecticut
6-5 · 195 · Sr · El Paso, TX
6Wade Taylor, Texas A&M
6-0 · 175 · Jr · Dallas, TX
7Jaedon LeDee, San Diego St.
6-9 · 240 · Sr · Houston, TX
8Hunter Dickinson, Kansas
7-2 · 260 · Sr · Alexandria, VA
9Kevin McCullar, Kansas
6-7 · 212 · Sr · San Antonio, TX
10Baylor Scheierman, Creighton
6-7 · 205 · Sr · Aurora, NE
SmokinSmile

An interesting nugget from Evan Miya for the idiots who say Edey is only good because he is tall (yes, there still are a few out there):

GBz2VbSboAAwYWa

An interesting nugget from Evan Miya for the idiots who say Edey is only good because he is tall (yes, there still are a few out there):

GBz2VbSboAAwYWa

He's arguably the most dominant player of the 21st century. None of those other guys even sniffed All-American honors. To put it into perspective, the Player Efficiency Rating has been tracked for the past 20 years. By the end of the season, Edey will have 3 of the top 4 marks. His 40.9 PER in 2022 didn't count because you need a minimum of 20 minutes p/game, and he only averaged 19. His current PER is around 39. Super, super dominant - and miles ahead of the other giants.

Player-Efficiency-Ratings-Since-2003.jpg

He's arguably the most dominant player of the 21st century. None of those other guys even sniffed All-American honors. To put it into perspective, the Player Efficiency Rating has been tracked for the past 20 years. By the end of the season, Edey will have 3 of the top 4 marks. His 40.9 PER in 2022 didn't count because you need a minimum of 20 minutes p/game, and he only averaged 19. His current PER is around 39. Super, super dominant - and miles ahead of the other giants.

Player-Efficiency-Ratings-Since-2003.jpg
Good stuff. I think it's interesting that the next highest guy on that giant metric from EvanMiya is Matt Haarms from Purdue. Coach Painter and our big man coach Brandon Brantley have really found their wheelhouse in their ability to coach centers.

Good stuff. I think it's interesting that the next highest guy on that giant metric from EvanMiya is Matt Haarms from Purdue. Coach Painter and our big man coach Brandon Brantley have really found their wheelhouse in their ability to coach centers.

Big Man U!

I want to say ESPN had Haarms rated as the #2 transfer during the 2020-21 offseason. His departure was a substantial loss at the time... But, Edey made Purdue fans forget about Haarms real quickly!

Reactions: boilerzz
Big Man U!

I want to say ESPN had Haarms rated as the #2 transfer during the 2020-21 offseason. His departure was a substantial loss at the time... But, Edey made Purdue fans forget about Haarms real quickly!

If Haarms didn’t want to be forgotten he should’ve given half the girls at Purdue an STD. That strategy worked for Isaac Haas.

Sort of like Purdue? SmokinSmile

I kid....In seriousness, I felt I built a solid core around the dude.

• Haha
Care to edit this statement? 7th rounder Jackson Shelstad starting to look real real good.

So, your 7th/8th Round picks of Jackson Shelstad and Trey Green are averaging 14 and 6 ppg, respectively. Meanwhile, your 11th/12 Round picks of Tramon Mark and Hunter Sallis are averaging 17 and 18 ppg, respectively.

What did I say that was wrong? Your 11th/12th Round Picks are 1st Team All-Conference candidates. Your last two picks were better than your picks in Round 7-8.I think that statement was accurate. Though, Shelstad is coming along very nicely. He'll likely be an all-conference performer.

So, your 7th/8th Round picks of Jackson Shelstad and Trey Green are averaging 14 and 6 ppg, respectively. Meanwhile, your 11th/12 Round picks of Tramon Mark and Hunter Sallis are averaging 17 and 18 ppg, respectively.

What did I say that was wrong? Your 11th/12th Round Picks are 1st Team All-Conference candidates. Your last two picks were better than your picks in Round 7-8.I think that statement was accurate. Though, Shelstad is coming along very nicely. He'll likely be an all-conference performer.

TLdR = I’m sorry WeAreDePaul

another big game for Shelstad. 20 pts vs UCLA in a tight game. Been Oregon’s best player the past few games. He’s clearly ascending.

another big game for Shelstad. 20 pts vs UCLA in a tight game. Been Oregon’s best player the past few games. He’s clearly ascending.

Shelstad is a really nice player. I like him. His value will keep going up if Oregon keeps winning. The Ducks didn't do much in the OOC season, so they'll need to win quite a few Pac-12 games if they're going to make the tournament.

@dukedevilz --Exactly how am I doing?

I'll post an update on player stats and Win Shares sometime this month.

Reactions: IUfanBorden

GBz2VbSboAAwYWa

Over under of 3.5 for how many “being tall did not work out well” dots are guys at FSU?

ADVERTISEMENT