ADVERTISEMENT

6th Annual College Basketball Draft

@dukedevilz can you explain Win Shares to me in a way that even a 7 year old could understand? Does team record have anything to do with it? I tried reading the link in the first post and gave up pretty quickly.
Not DD but yes, it does help to be on a team that wins a bunch of games. Essentially, it's a calculation as to how much of each win you contributed to.

@dukedevilz can you explain Win Shares to me in a way that even a 7 year old could understand? Does team record have anything to do with it? I tried reading the link in the first post and gave up pretty quickly.

If you visited the site, you already know it's a formula that has multiple components. It tries to derive at how much each player has contributed to each win. So, if you had 5 players play the whole 40 minutes, and they won, and they were all relatively similar in ability, each player would earn 0.2 Win Shares. Each win in essence is worth 1 whole Win Share, but it has to be divided up into all the players that collectively earned that win.

So yes, it absolutely helps to pick up Win Shares if you're on a better team. Guys like Keegan Murray and Oscar Tshiebwe are going to earn 0.3+ Win Shares per win. And then you have players like Orlando Robinson (Fresno State) and Justin Bean (Utah State) on middling teams that snuck up on the top 10 national leaderboard for Win Shares; and that's because they contribute so much to the team.

Win Shares
1.Keegan Murray Iowa8.7
2.Oscar Tshiebwe Kentucky8.0
3.Malachi Smith Chattanooga7.5
4.Orlando Robinson Fresno State7.4
5.Armando Bacot UNC7.1
6.Trayce Jackson-Davis Indiana6.8
7.Justin Bean Utah State6.7
8.K.J. Williams Murray State6.7
9.Darius McGhee Liberty6.6
10.Collin Gillespie Villanova6.5

Who would’ve guessed it’s the DePaul fan that knows nothing about win shares
spongebob-sucks-to-suck.gif

Some super liberal west coast states like Washington actually require teams to “share the winshares” because it isn't fair for the top 1% to keep all the winshares, so even walkons at Gonzaga wrack up quite a few. A Gonzaga walkon would honestly be a great choice for your current pick.

Some super liberal west coast states like Washington actually require teams to “share the winshares” because it isn't fair for the top 1% to keep all the winshares, so even walkons at Gonzaga wrack up quite a few. A Gonzaga walkon would honestly be a great choice for your current pick.
hmm, never thought of it that way. Need our resident expert to release his walk on top 100 so I can grab the right guy.

Reactions: MGC_07
Keyonte George, Baylor

@WeAreDePaul time to make the worst pick in the draft, bud.

1st Round
1. Oscar Tshiebwe, Kentucky
2. Armando Bacot, North Carolina
3. Drew Timme, Gonzaga
4. Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana
5. Hunter Dickinson, Michigan
6. Marcus Sasser, Houston
7. Jaime Jaquez, UCLA
8. Adama Sanogo, UConn
9. Kendric Davis, Memphis
10. Nick Smith, Arkansas
11. Jalen Wilson, Kansas
12. Mike Miles, TCU

2nd Round
13. Dereck Lively, Duke
14. Isaiah Wong, Miami
15. Zach Edey, Purdue
16. Azuolas Tubelis, Arizona
17. Caleb Love, North Carolina
18. Keyonte George, Baylor

Dang, I was deadlocked between Lively and George for my 2nd round pick. Went with Lively to not have two Big 12 players back to back but I def like George a lot.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Dang, I was deadlocked between Lively and George for my 2nd round pick. Went with Lively to not have two Big 12 players back to back but I def like George a lot.

Keyonte George is going to be dynamite. Probably the best scorer in the 2022 class.

I know freshmen are somewhat risky, but I honestly feel like he has 1st Team All-American potential. He's going to compete with Flagler and Cryer for stats, but feel like he's more of the alpha dog than the other two. Floor might be 2nd Team All-Conference.

Last year's win shares leaders:

Win Shares
1.Keegan Murray Iowa8.7
2.Oscar Tshiebwe Kentucky8.0
3.Malachi Smith Chattanooga7.5
4.Orlando Robinson Fresno State7.4
5.Armando Bacot UNC7.1
6.Trayce Jackson-Davis Indiana6.8
7.Justin Bean Utah State6.7
8.K.J. Williams Murray State6.7
9.Darius McGhee Liberty6.6
10.Collin Gillespie Villanova6.5

do you have a link for the extended list? I can only find top 10. Looking to see how some of the returning players did in WS last year.

do you have a link for the extended list? I can only find top 10. Looking to see how some of the returning players did in WS last year.

It doesn't expand beyond 10 for the national leaders.

Best way around that is to go the 2022 Season Summary and you'll have an overview of all 32 conferences. Click on any of these conferences and you'll find a top 10 list for each conference. Here's a screenshot of the Big 12, the first conference listed on the 2022 Summary. Scroll near the bottom of the page, and then click to expand on Win Shares.

sportsreference-big12-winshares.png

You can also go to each individual player and it will detail their Win Shares per season, Win Shares per 40 minutes, and Career Win Shares (under advanced statistics).

Production and wins is ultimately what will yield more Win Shares.

@dukedevilz tell me I made a good pick! It was between Vescovi, Bradley and Jelly Walker. I went with the guy who plays in the major conference who also had the most WS last year of the 3. Seems like the safest pick of the 3.

@dukedevilz tell me I made a good pick! It was between Vescovi, Bradley and Jelly Walker. I went with the guy who plays in the major conference who also had the most WS last year of the 3. Seems like the safest pick of the 3.

Safe pick sounds about right. He's efficient and Tennessee is arguably a top 10 team. I see him as someone who's likely 1st Team All-Conference or HM All-American. High floor, modest ceiling. But, Vescovi made a pretty sizable jump from his sophomore to his junior year. So, maybe he can do that again.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Safe pick sounds about right. He's efficient and Tennessee is arguably a top 10 team. I see him as someone who's likely 1st Team All-Conference or HM All-American. High floor, modest ceiling. But, Vescovi made a pretty sizable jump from his sophomore to his junior year. So, maybe he can do that again.
that's what I was thinking. High floor pick. Those mid major stars make me nervous. If they don't become AA's they are basically no better than a 2nd team all conference player from a high major.

I am already lost on who’s been taken lol I will try and get my pick in soon

1st Round
1. Oscar Tshiebwe, Kentucky
2. Armando Bacot, North Carolina
3. Drew Timme, Gonzaga
4. Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana
5. Hunter Dickinson, Michigan
6. Marcus Sasser, Houston
7. Jaime Jaquez, UCLA
8. Adama Sanogo, UConn
9. Kendric Davis, Memphis
10. Nick Smith, Arkansas
11. Jalen Wilson, Kansas
12. Mike Miles, TCU

2nd Round
13. Dereck Lively, Duke
14. Isaiah Wong, Miami
15. Zach Edey, Purdue
16. Azuolas Tubelis, Arizona
17. Caleb Love, North Carolina
18. Keyonte George, Baylor
19. Santiago Vescovi, Tennessee

Reactions: JimboBBN
I am already lost on who’s been taken lol I will try and get my pick in soon
Top 8 remaining according to Making the Madness

1. Dariq Whitehead, Duke
2. Terquavion Smith, NC State
3. Nijel Pack, Miami
4. Jordan Walker, UAB
5. Matt Bradley, SDSU
6. Colin Castleton, Florida
7. Savhir Wheeler, Kentucky
8. Tyler Campbell, UCLA

Reactions: JimboBBN
Keyonte George is going to be dynamite. Probably the best scorer in the 2022 class.

I know freshmen are somewhat risky, but I honestly feel like he has 1st Team All-American potential. He's going to compete with Flagler and Cryer for stats, but feel like he's more of the alpha dog than the other two. Floor might be 2nd Team All-Conference.

So what you’re saying is, I fudged up hahaha.

So what you’re saying is, I fudged up hahaha.

Hah maybe. But, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Miles and Lively are both legit All-American candidates. Lively more than likely will win ACC DPOY, so I'd say he has a higher floor than George - but maybe not a higher ceiling

Reactions: GE Nole
its tough to not pick players you really like in hopes everyone goes normal, and can maybe pick them up later, might have some sleepers so everyone should pick high.

Top 8 remaining according to Making the Madness

1. Dariq Whitehead, Duke
2. Terquavion Smith, NC State
3. Nijel Pack, Miami
4. Jordan Walker, UAB
5. Matt Bradley, SDSU
6. Colin Castleton, Florida
7. Savhir Wheeler, Kentucky
8. Tyler Campbell, UCLA

Reactions: GE Nole and MGC_07
Updated.

Injuries/Issues Of Some Notable Players
Jahvon Quinerly, Alabama- ACL Injury. Should Miss 2-3 months
Justin Moore, Villanova- ACL Tear. Out until maybe late December/early January
Fardaws Aimaq, Texas Tech- Broke foot. Should be out multiple months.
Emoni Bates, Eastern Michigan- Legal issues. Suspended indefinitely
Dariq Whitehead, Duke- Foot fracture. Questionable for the start of the season; might miss a few games
Cam Whitmore, Villanova- Thumb injury. Will be re-evaluated in early November.
Vincent Iwuchukwu, USC-Collapsed during workout over the summer (suffered from cardiac arrest). Out indefinitely
Dior Johnson, Pittsburgh- Multiple legal charges. Suspended indefinitely.
Kylan Boswell, Arizona- Foot injury. Might a miss a month or so of the season.
Zach Freemantle, Xavier- Suspended indefinitely
Allen Flanigan, Auburn- Left team indefinitely for personal reasons
Keyontae Johnson, Kansas State- Super efficient player. Collapsed on the court almost 2 years ago. Trying to make a return. No clue how effective he might be now.

It certainly makes the draft more interesting. Dariq Whitehead and Cam Whitmore are still very much draftable. They might miss a month? Not really sure. And then they might have rust once they come back. But, I expect both to play by at least December.

Isaiah Stevens, Jahvon Quinerly, and Justin Moore probably aren't worth selecting at this point. Those guys will likely miss 2-3 months of the season.

It certainly makes the draft more interesting. Dariq Whitehead and Cam Whitmore are still very much draftable. They might miss a month? Not really sure. And then they might have rust once they come back. But, I expect both to play by at least December.

Isaiah Stevens, Jahvon Quinerly, and Justin Moore probably aren't worth selecting at this point. Those guys will likely miss 2-3 months of the season.
Whitmore intrigues me a lot. Villanova is under new management, but I feel like a fluid athlete like him is just built to thrive there. I’m wary to take him too early with the injury, but I honestly think he ends up one of the top 2 players on a top 25 Nova team to end the year.

Whitmore intrigues me a lot. Villanova is under new management, but I feel like a fluid athlete like him is just built to thrive there. I’m wary to take him too early with the injury, but I honestly think he ends up one of the top 2 players on a top 25 Nova team to end the year.

Whitehead and Whitmore are both top 50 guys, even with the setbacks. Very likely we see both taken in the next round or two.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
I am too late aren't I?

Yeah, we're already 20 picks in. Hang around the board around late September/early October. I'll tag you next year. Would be cool to have a KU fan, though, because we have all of the other power conferences represented, minus the Big 12.

I'd take Nijel Pack here but fvck that Lifewallet loving bitch. Guess I'd better give it some thought.

• Haha
Updated.

Injuries/Issues Of Some Notable Players
Jahvon Quinerly, Alabama- ACL Injury. Should Miss 2-3 months
Justin Moore, Villanova- ACL Tear. Out until maybe late December/early January
Fardaws Aimaq, Texas Tech- Broke foot. Should be out multiple months.
Emoni Bates, Eastern Michigan- Legal issues. Suspended indefinitely
Dariq Whitehead, Duke- Foot fracture. Questionable for the start of the season; might miss a few games
Cam Whitmore, Villanova- Thumb injury. Will be re-evaluated in early November.
Vincent Iwuchukwu, USC-Collapsed during workout over the summer (suffered from cardiac arrest). Out indefinitely
Dior Johnson, Pittsburgh- Multiple legal charges. Suspended indefinitely.
Kylan Boswell, Arizona- Foot injury. Might a miss a month or so of the season.
Zach Freemantle, Xavier- Suspended indefinitely
Allen Flanigan, Auburn- Left team indefinitely for personal reasons
Keyontae Johnson, Kansas State- Super efficient player. Collapsed on the court almost 2 years ago. Trying to make a return. No clue how effective he might be now.
Fe90UOJXEAMu0gf

Man, this is a lot tougher this year. Still in the 2nd round and not sure who I want. So, I'm just going to go with Tyger Campbell. Should get a bunch of win shares and almost guaranteed to make the Pac 12 1st team.

@Jaycg15 is on the clock.

Man, this is a lot tougher this year. Still in the 2nd round and not sure who I want. So, I'm just going to go with Tyger Campbell. Should get a bunch of win shares and almost guaranteed to make the Pac 12 1st team.

@Jaycg15 is on the clock.
Agree. This year seems much more difficult than last year.

ADVERTISEMENT