ADVERTISEMENT

Your team’s starting 5?

IU starting 5:

Phinisee---Jr
Lander---Frosh*
Smith---Sr
TJD---So
Brunk--Sr.

IMO, thats probably who starts to open. Though I could easily see Race and Hunter eventually starting..

*--Lander will start if he reclassifies. If not, look for this spot to go to Al Durham.

I am going to be furious if Cal convinces Efton Reid to reclassify to 2020 and commit to UK. UVA is in great shape for him for 2021. Hopefully, he's paid attention to SKJ and Juzang over the last few years and doesn't buy his pitch.

Reactions: UL_1986
I am going to be furious if Cal convinces Efton Reid to reclassify to 2020 and commit to UK. UVA is in great shape for him for 2021. Hopefully, he's paid attention to SKJ and Juzang over the last few years and doesn't buy his pitch.
tenor.gif

Reactions: jhmossy

I mean we obviously don't need players from UVA to win it all but it would be nice to keep the best players in our state. Cal wouldn't give a shit about Reid and reclassifying him if he could close on these grad transfer bigs.

I mean we obviously don't need players from UVA to win it all but it would be nice to keep the best players in our state. Cal wouldn't give a shit about Reid and reclassifying him if he could close on these grad transfer bigs.
Wrong! CAL CARES!!!!

Reactions: jhmossy
Will this upcoming season even happen? I know it’s been a topic of discussion, but it’s almost May, and it doesn’t seem like things will change anytime soon.

Will this upcoming season even happen? I know it’s been a topic of discussion, but it’s almost May, and it doesn’t seem like things will change anytime soon.
I think we play. Maybe with no fans, or a moderation. I know as of now, our officiating clinics are still on as scheduled. From what I am hearing, a late start MIGHT happen, and sounds as a worse case scenario. May, June and July are very vital.

Reactions: JDMEvergreen
I think we play. Maybe with no fans, or a moderation. I know as of now, our officiating clinics are still on as scheduled. From what I am hearing, a late start MIGHT happen, and sounds as a worse case scenario. May, June and July are very vital.
I agree, but how will this affect conditioning and team practices?

IMO depends on what they are allowed to do over the summer. It will have more of an impact on freshman. Learning the system, etc, etc...I think with the next couple of months, we will get a better grasp on when the season will start. I honestly think we play a normal schedule, and on time. If we are unable to gather socially by say December----then this COVID has gotten really, really bad.

I guess the biggest thing now is a vaccine. My cousin is a resp therapist and is on his hospitals COVID team. He has told me not sure if a vaccine can help, or even be developed due to how fast the steand is mutating. We are now seeing COVID starting to cause large vessel strokes. That's scary. His text to me today was---"Bro, we are about see some scary shit". But he also tells me, "dude, we are using more vents for non-COVID paitients. Said the numbers are really high for COVID, because at the start if you came in(ER) with COVID symptons, you were label as a COVID patient. Regardless. That of course has since subsided.

Crazy times, man.

You have Ware twice and left off Fletcher. Missing out on Haarms, they are going to be extremely thin in the front court, especially at "5". Foul trouble will be a major issue. At this point I don't see them adding anyone else of value to the roster, unless the immediate eligibility transfer waiver is put in place for 20-21.
Edited thanks.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Oh def not. They will never suck that bad. Laughing

We’ll probably win 20+ games and make the tournament. Unless Clarke or Boston get hurt. If that happens...well, we’ll be playing another “home” game in the NIT on some other lucky mid majors court.

If its any consolation, I read the other day where 99 percent of athletic directors across the country say they believe college football will have a season. Logically, that probably means we have college basketball as well.

Really interesting link here. Breaks down when AD's believe the season will start and how many games will be played. At this point, I'll take anything. Delayed, shortened, bring it on. If college football is delayed, we might be looking at a delay in other sports as well. But at least they would happen.

https://watchstadium.com/99-percent...have-college-football-this-season-04-21-2020/

Unless something unusual happens the roster is set for Texas

C Jericho Sims
F Greg Brown
G Andrew Jones
G Courtney Ramey
G Matt Coleman

Good chance that will be the starting 5
The next 5 could probably run with most teams

PF Royce Hamm
PF Kai Brown
SF Brock Cunningham
G Donovan Williams
G Jase Febres

C Will Baker
F Gerald Liddell
F Kemaka Hepa

Still really high on Liddell. Good that he will be in the program for awhile.
Should be a very important piece for 2021-2022.

Unless something unusual happens the roster is set for Texas

C Jericho Sims
F Greg Brown
G Andrew Jones
G Courtney Ramey
G Matt Coleman

Good chance that will be the starting 5
The next 5 could probably run with most teams

PF Royce Hamm
PF Kai Brown
SF Brock Cunningham
G Donovan Williams
G Jase Febres

C Will Baker
F Gerald Liddell
F Kemaka Hepa

Still really high on Liddell. Good that he will be in the program for awhile.
Should be a very important piece for 2021-2022.

Hepa struggling to get minutes? He went to high school in Portland but I haven't followed him closely since he went to Texas.

Hepa struggling to get minutes? He went to high school in Portland but I haven't followed him closely since he went to Texas.

Hepa is a very good team player. There are a lot of things to like about him.
In terms of basketball IQ he is up there.
If Hepa was more comfortable with his shot I think he could earn more minutes. At times he plays timid.
Shaka doesn't mind certain players shooting. Hepa is one of them.
He doesn't have the athleticism. He is on the floor to spread it offensively. To grab rebounds and play defense.

On defense players who can create off the dribble can give him issues on the perimeter.
I think Shaka likes Royce Hamm better even though he doesn't have the shot because Hamm can play defense anywhere on the court.

Hepa is one of those players who could be important their senior year.

Started a few games for them but didn’t play a lot of minutes. At 6-11 he thinks he’s a 6-5 guard.

Spreading the floor....

If Texas can spread the floor it gives their guards more room to drive.

Will Baker is probably the best example. They really are going to work with him. He could be a breakout player.

Hepa will never be a back to the basket low post presence on the offensive end.
He isn't the jumper nor is fast enough to play off the pick and roll.

On the defensive end he gives Texas some length. He does need to get quicker feet on the perimeter.

He is someone that at his best could fill a stat line.

’ll never forget wku had a kid a decade or so ago, Chris Marcus was his name iirc. He was slated to be a first rounder, came back to wku anyways, and then started having stress fractures and never even had a professional basketball career. It probly wouldn’t have been long regardless but he could have at least cashed a few paycheck and prolly made 6-7 figures had he not returned to wku. My father is an alum there and follows the Hilltoppers. They were actually a decent program way back when he went to college. I couldn’t believe how many big time programs he told me got to see play in Bowling Green while he was in school.

Dude RIP Chris Marcus just passed away. Way too young. Hell of a player.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-western-kentucky-star-center-220200521.html

there should be no problem as it wasn't till a couple years ago practice didn't start till mid October. work outs during the summer were left up to the players.

also you need to remember every team will be in the same boat, so nobody will really have a advantage over the others.

right now states are starting to open up which will allow the players to get on or near campus by June 1st, giving them 5 months to get into the weight room and start playing together against each other.

this Virus has had a impact on all the BB teams not just 1 or 2.

Exact same team as last year but most likely add Greg Brown.

Texas should mix and match depending on who they play.

For sure starters
Matt Coleman
The rest will be a mix of different players
Andrew Jones
Courtney Ramey
Kai Jones
Jericho Sims
Jase Febres
Greg Brown

Shaka going to have way too many pieces and mess around all year.
But like this year come tournament time he should be able to make a deep run.

Truthfully wish 2-3 players transfered out.
But I guess they really believe in what Shaka is trying to do
You might still get your wish, unfortunately the 3 guys who should transfer, febres, hamm, and sims are all seniors.

If I was putting together the lineup:
Coleman - been a big disappointment, he's the guy holding this team back
A Jones - if he can get back to his soph form, he's a late first rounder
Ramey - needs to get more disciplined
Brown - one of the best in game dunkers in the world, sure fire lottery pick
Kai Jones - if he progresses on schedule, he should be a mid first round pick.

First of the bench
Williams - can create his own shot, if Coleman weren't a senior, I'd have him start
Cunningham - coach on the court, jyd, gym rat (yeah, he's a scrappy white guy)
Baker - flashed his 5* potential, if he takes a few steps, he'll be a stud
Lidell - slasher, true scorer

Situational players
Sims - defensive sub, if our other bigs are in foul trouble. Best post defender
Febres - best set shooter on the team, but if he's not hitting 42+%, he needs to only come in to shoot, end of shot clock type situations
Hamm - solid player, hustler, victim of numbers. Would be a solid low major starter
Hepa - if baker comes on, he should prolly transfer. Marginal d1 player.

Royce Hamm is legit.
He is a leaper. Plays all over the court. You know when he is in the game.
Hamm belongs in the program.
Regarding transfers. I don't see it.
This means that these players believe in what Shaka is trying to do.

Regarding Febres.
Shaka believes in his game. Maybe not him but his game.

I think the player he is recruiting for that role in 2021 in Langston Love is more capable of being that player .

But Febres still has the potential for 3 25 point games during the season

Last edited:
According to Merriam Webster stupider and stupidest are real words.

The more and more @JimboBBN and @JC for 3 made fun of @Villian07 for what they thought was bad grammar, the stupider and stupider they looked

That’s what I couldn’t get, I knew I’ve heard ppl say thats the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard or that’s the stupidest idea ever, never most stupid,
so I assumed stupider was a word too. Thanks for the confirmation, I don’t quite have enough free time to argue grammar with UK fans.

They had already lost when they started calling out my grammar on a message board bc I was shutting down their arguments, whether it was correct or not. Just like calling ur post the “stupidest” when they were convinced it wasn’t word before u educated them.

Even without a culver?
We do not have a Culver but we have several options offensively. Edwards, and Moretti have proven to be quality outside shooters. Burnett will be a huge lift for those two. Shannon can score as well as McCullar. Joel Ntambwe could be our best player. Then you add in Silva. Just a really deep talented team. We’ll see who gets the ball when the game is in the mine.

Tech's defense really improves with Burnett.

The guy's length will give teams issues.

Tech's perimeter defense really will improve.

Burnett can guard multiple positions.

Scoring could be an issue again.

Are the going to run the offense through Burnett
Losing Clarke and Culver really hurts on a team that at times was offensively challenged.

We do not have a Culver but we have several options offensively. Edwards, and Moretti have proven to be quality outside shooters. Burnett will be a huge lift for those two. Shannon can score as well as McCullar. Joel Ntambwe could be our best player. Then you add in Silva. Just a really deep talented team. We’ll see who gets the ball when the game is in the mine.

That was Tech’s biggest issue this past season. Late game execution and lacking a finisher killed them. They lost so many close games because of poor late game execution.

ADVERTISEMENT