ADVERTISEMENT

Rank your conference teams

Arkansas is really overrated. Their roster isn’t good.

Not necessarily top 10 as some people have them, but you got to have them in the top 25 somewhere. Devo Davis, Trey Wade, Au'Diese Toney, and Jaylin Williams are all elite defenders. They might have a top 5 defense next season. Throw in Chris Lykes, JD Notae and Stanley Umude, and you have enough scoring capability to give Arkansas one of the more balanced teams in the country (I think they'll struggle more with getting buckets than defending). I see them in the 11-20 range to start the season.

First group of 3 teams are the main contenders in my eyes. Talented rosters, great coaching, plenty of experience. Would be disappointed if any of these 3 teams finished outside of the top 4 of the conference.
Purdue (Matt Painter 180-109 62%)/ Ohio State (Chris Holtmann (46-32 59%)/ Michigan (Juwan Howard 24-13 65%)

Next group of 3 are secondary contenders who just need to address an issue or two and I think they can compete for the league title. All 3 make up for flaws by having proven coaches either at this level or the NBA. Would be a disappointing finish for any of these teams to finish outside the top half of the conference.
Michigan State (Tom Izzo 302-135 69%)/ Indiana (Mike Woodson 0-0) / Maryland (Mark Turgeon 82-50 62%)

This next group of 3 teams are talented teams that have just enough or a couple of big enough flaws where I cant trust them to contend for the conference title, but I do expect them to be good teams. Would not be shocked if any of these teams surprised me and ended up higher due to all 3 having exciting talent, but I trust these coaches less than the 3 others in the group above them so they have landed here.
Rutgers (Steve Pikiell 34-62 35%) / Nebraska (Fred Hoiberg 5-34 13%) / Illinois (Brad Underwood 40-38 51%)

New rosters that lost a great deal of production. Greg Gard has a very solid track record so I could see Wisconsin surprising me. Mccafrey leaves a lot to be desired with his track record, would be more surprised to see Iowa finish in the top half of the league.
Wisconsin (Greg Gard 69-45 61%) / Iowa (Fran Mccafrey 103-101 50.4%)

Poor coach and roster is too unknown to move up any further
Northwestern (Chris Collins 49-100 33%)

new coach and new roster
Penn State
Minnesota

Illinois is in your third tier with Kofi Cockburn and Andre Curbelo coming back? I can't imagine them being 7th or lower.

Mississippi State has some nice players, for sure. They definitely have top 25 potential. They benefitted greatly from the transfer portal. These are most likely the top 7 players in minutes.

Shakeel Moore (NC State), Rocket Watts (Michigan State)
Iverson Molinar
DJ Jeffries (Memphis), Derek Fountain
Garrison Brooks (UNC)
Tolu Smith
Wildly underrated team. The fact bracketology has them on the bubble is a joke.

Wildly underrated team. The fact bracketology has them on the bubble is a joke.

They're going to be an interesting team to watch. If they play Garrison Brooks and Tolu Smith together, two non-shooting bigs, their versatility is going to be dampened a bit. They'll crush on the rebounding margin, no question. But spacing won't be great, especially if Rocket Watts, a poor shooter himself, gets the nod over Shakeel Moore as the starting point guard. If Brooks & Smith play together, I think the overlap should be minimal, like 10 minutes at most.

I think this team could really thrive if they gave more minutes to DJ Jeffries and Derek Fountain. Both have huge upsides. Molinar will get all he can handle at the 2 spot. Give Jeffries and Fountain the bulk of the minutes at the 3 and 4, and this team could have one of the more dynamic offenses in the country.

But to your point, yes, this team is vastly underrated by most fans and analysts. They have the pieces to win several games in the tourney.

Reactions: duckboy33
Not necessarily top 10 as some people have them, but you got to have them in the top 25 somewhere. Devo Davis, Trey Wade, Au'Diese Toney, and Jaylin Williams are all elite defenders. They might have a top 5 defense next season. Throw in Chris Lykes, JD Notae and Stanley Umude, and you have enough scoring capability to give Arkansas one of the more balanced teams in the country (I think they'll struggle more with getting buckets than defending). I see them in the 11-20 range to start the season.

Illinois is in your third tier with Kofi Cockburn and Andre Curbelo coming back? I can't imagine them being 7th or lower.
Ask him about MSU, and be really entertained.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I think with Kofi back, you can make a good argument for Michigan, Illinois, Purdue or Ohio State as “favorites,” all for slightly different reasons (i.e., it’ll depend on which reason holds the most weight with you).

After that, I am less sure and have a lot of questions. One would expect a big jump from Maryland, but returning a lot doesn’t always mean some exponential leap from what you saw the year before (see 2011 Illinois or 2021 Wisconsin). I expect MSU to return to form a bit, but I’d need to research them a bit more. I think Indiana will improve, but by how much? Their talent looks to even be a step up and they’re hopeful they improved their coaching, but we’ll see how the kids adapt at building a winning culture. I actually think Rutgers will be better than most think, too, but they’ve been hard to figure out. Iowa and Wisconsin should take a step back, but how far? Minnesota and Penn State might be in for long years, and I haven’t kept up Northwestern or Nebraska enough to know if they’ll ascend to the lower middle or stay in the cellar, but I’m certainly not expecting a postseason for either.

TIER 1 - Illinois, Michigan, Ohio State, Purdue
TIER 2 - Indiana, Maryland, Michigan State, Rutgers
TIER 3 - Iowa, Wisconsin
TIER 4 - Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Penn State

Yeah it is interesting to me to read how high everyone has Illinois heading into next season. I appear to be out on a limb by myself here with this opinion.

Illinois lost Ayo Dosunmu, Adam Miller, and Giorgi Bezhanishvili. The latter two arent huge losses in my eyes, but Ayo was a tremendous upperclassmen player who did a little bit of everything along with being the primary scorer. He is a huge loss. I believe he even recorded some triple doubles last year because he did so much. I have been told on here that Illinois is planning on replacing him with a division 3 transfer. I think Illinois is a solid team with some exciting talent in Kofi Cockburn and Andre Curbelo, but I think Illinois will miss Ayo Dosunmu very much. I cant imagine they will be anywhere near as good this year without Ayo Dosunmu as they were last year with him. Andre Curbelo certainly showed flashes, but he was not very efficient and that was with Ayo Dosunmu taking a considerable amount of pressure off of him to have to create. I cant really see any scenario where they win the conference this year without Ayo Dosunmu. That would be really shocking to me. I see somewhere between 7-9 as the most likely scenario for Illinois, so its interesting to see you claim you cant see Illinois being 7th. Illinois is nowhere near the top 3 in my eyes, but I think the next 3 I have listed of MSU, Indiana, and Maryland are all clearly better heading into the season as well. I see Illinois as a good team, just not a great one like some of the other teams in the conference.

I just went and looked at Illinois conference opponents, and it seems extremely unlikely they win more than 12 games. 9-11 wins seems about right. I cant see that being any higher than about 6th or so? Thats why I have them slotted in between 7th and 9th.

Yeah it is interesting to me to read how high everyone has Illinois heading into next season. I appear to be out on a limb by myself here with this opinion.

Illinois lost Ayo Dosunmu, Adam Miller, and Giorgi Bezhanishvili. The latter two arent huge losses in my eyes, but Ayo was a tremendous upperclassmen player who did a little bit of everything along with being the primary scorer. He is a huge loss. I believe he even recorded some triple doubles last year because he did so much. I have been told on here that Illinois is planning on replacing him with a division 3 transfer. I think Illinois is a solid team with some exciting talent in Kofi Cockburn and Andre Curbelo, but I think Illinois will miss Ayo Dosunmu very much. I cant imagine they will be anywhere near as good this year without Ayo Dosunmu as they were last year with him. Andre Curbelo certainly showed flashes, but he was not very efficient and that was with Ayo Dosunmu taking a considerable amount of pressure off of him to have to create. I cant really see any scenario where they win the conference this year without Ayo Dosunmu. That would be really shocking to me. I see somewhere between 7-9 as the most likely scenario for Illinois, so its interesting to see you claim you cant see Illinois being 7th. Illinois is nowhere near the top 3 in my eyes, but I think the next 3 I have listed of MSU, Indiana, and Maryland are all clearly better heading into the season as well. I see Illinois as a good team, just not a great one like some of the other teams in the conference.

I just went and looked at Illinois conference opponents, and it seems extremely unlikely they win more than 12 games. 9-11 wins seems about right. I cant see that being any higher than about 6th or so? Thats why I have them slotted in between 7th and 9th.
What are you seeing in MSU and IU that makes you confident they will finish above Illinois? Looks like a rebuilding year for Sparty and has IU really addressed their deficiencies which caused them to finish 7-12 in league last year? Franklin was clearly their 2nd best player and he transferred.

Don't think most people are arguing that they'll repeat last year's performance. I don't see them as a 1 seed myself. More just that Illinois won't be a middle-of-the-pack type of team.

Illinois returns 3 of their top 4 scorers, including a 2nd Team All-American in Kofi Cockburn. Curbelo has a case for being the best point guard in the Big Ten next season. Omar Payne (Florida transfer) has much higher upside than Alphabet Soup. And Alfonso Plummer (Utah's 2nd leading scorer) has been more productive than Adam Miller. So yes, I would agree that Dosunmu is a monster loss. But, don't think they're suddenly plummeting to a 7-9 seed. With the talent coming back, plus the transfers coming in, I'd initially project them as a 3 or 4 seed.

Now do Michigan State

Don't think most people are arguing that they'll repeat last year's performance. I don't see them as a 1 seed myself. More just that Illinois won't be a middle-of-the-pack type of team.

Illinois returns 3 of their top 4 scorers, including a 2nd Team All-American in Kofi Cockburn. Curbelo has a case for being the best point guard in the Big Ten next season. Omar Payne (Florida transfer) has much higher upside than Alphabet Soup. And Alfonso Plummer (Utah's 2nd leading scorer) has been more productive than Adam Miller. So yes, I would agree that Dosunmu is a monster loss. But, don't think they're suddenly plummeting to a 7-9 seed. With the talent coming back, plus the transfers coming in, I'd initially project them as a 3 or 4 seed.

Are you talking about in the conference or a 3-4 seed in the ncaa tournament?

It’d be one thing if Illinois struggled mightily when Ayo was out … not exactly the case. 3-0 with two road victories over top 25 teams, including a dominating win at #2 Michigan. Of course Ayo is a huge loss, but it’s not unreasonable at all to expect improvements from players like Curbelo and Kofi, and you’re pretty much relying on the assumption that Illinois would be a 7-9 seed without Ayo … that’s not just a stretch, they proved it before your very eyes that they were still a clear top 10 team.

Who knows what will happen this year? But it’s ridiculous for you to be shocked why a 1-seed team who returns this much, adds some very needed/talented pieces and with its best two returning players having been just underclassmen last year to get occasionally high preseason rankings.

I will bet you they get over 11 wins in conference.

Are you talking about in the conference or a 3-4 seed in the ncaa tournament?

3 or 4 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Last time I did rankings, roughly a month ago, I had Illinois at #11. That would put them squarely as a 3 seed.

I also had Michigan at #5 and Purdue at #7. So, that would actually put them at #3 in the Big Ten, as well. They won't be the favorites, but the odds of them being a top 4 team in the Big Ten are very high, IMO.

Reactions: KisteK
3 or 4 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Last time I did rankings, roughly a month ago, I had Illinois at #11. That would put them squarely as a 3 seed.

I also had Michigan at #5 and Purdue at #7. So, that would actually put them at #3 in the Big Ten, as well. They won't be the favorites, but the odds of them being a top 4 team in the Big Ten are very high, IMO.
Ingersol thinks very little of Underwood so he's ignoring the talent level. I'm not as high on him as some Illinois fans but when you start with Kofi and Curbelo, you can make average coaching look good.

Curious. If you dont mind, can you give me a brief summary of why you are so high on Illinois? Maybe I can be swayed if I hear why someone else feels they are the 11th best team in the nation.

Ingersol thinks very little of Underwood so he's ignoring the talent level. I'm not as high on him as some Illinois fans but when you start with Kofi and Curbelo, you can make average coaching look good.

I think Underwood is a good coach, but I think the fact that he became a coach at a relatively old age has caused him to learn a few “on the job” lessons that cost his teams. When Loyola had us scouted perfectly and we had an off day, Underwood could either stick with his superstar and try to outtalent Loyola or he could take the ball out of Ayo’s hands and try to adjust to shake things up. With hindsight, the second option was clearly what was needed, but I’m sure he felt he was damned if he did and damned if he didn’t, and he didn’t have the experience of being in that situation to fall back on. Cost us a Tournament run with our best team in 16 years, of course.

Obviously, at the end of the day, that is his coaching failure. But I think he has a lot more room for improvement than most coaches his age. For example, we might flame out early in the Tournament again, but I’ll flat out guarantee it’ll be more of a “fluke” loss or a night where we’re just ice cold rather than such a gutless, adjustmentless embarrassment. I’ll bet good money both Kofi and Underwood learned a LOT from that one.

Curious. If you dont mind, can you give me a brief summary of why you are so high on Illinois? Maybe I can be swayed if I hear why someone else feels they are the 11th best team in the nation.

Most people have, you just choose to disagree with it. 1-seed team that finished the regular season ranked #2 returns 4 of their top 5 scorers, has a returning All-American center, has a returning sophomore PG who was playing excellent basketball by the end of the year, added some nice transfer/recruits that will make them absolutely a better shooting team this year and played EXCEPTIONALLY well for the 3 games Ayo was out last year … and you're like flabbergasted anyone thinks they’ll be good?

Teams lose in the NCAAs to worse teams all the time, but the fact is Illinois put together a full season worthy of a 1-seed last year. No one here isn’t predicting a drop off without Ayo, but you think he’s worth like 7 seeds?!?! I don’t know what else to tell you other than (in my humble opinion) the Ayo-less Illini gave you tangible proof that you’re wrong last year during that 3-game stretch. You don’t have to buy into any hype, but it’s honestly kind of hilarious to not be able to even wrap your mind around it, haha.

Most people have, you just choose to disagree with it. 1-seed team that finished the regular season ranked #2 returns 4 of their top 5 scorers, has a returning All-American center, has a returning sophomore PG who was playing excellent basketball by the end of the year, added some nice transfer/recruits that will make them absolutely a better shooting team this year and played EXCEPTIONALLY well for the 3 games Ayo was out last year … and you're like flabbergasted anyone thinks they’ll be good?

Teams lose in the NCAAs to worse teams all the time, but the fact is Illinois put together a full season worthy of a 1-seed last year. No one here isn’t predicting a drop off without Ayo, but you think he’s worth like 7 seeds?!?! I don’t know what else to tell you other than (in my humble opinion) the Ayo-less Illini gave you tangible proof that you’re wrong last year during that 3-game stretch. You don’t have to buy into any hype, but it’s honestly kind of hilarious to not be able to even wrap your mind around it, haha.

You are getting things a little misconstrued here. I think Illinois is a solid team and I think they deserve top 25 consideration, I just don't see how they are better than the 6 teams I have above them in my conference rankings. They all seem better in my eyes. I definitely don't see them as the 11th best team in the nation. But make no mistake about it, they are a clear tournament team in my eyes. I dont want my conference predictions to sway people into thinking I believe they aren't a good team. They are definitely a good team.

You are getting things a little misconstrued here. I think Illinois is a solid team and I think they deserve top 25 consideration, I just don't see how they are better than the 6 teams I have above them in my conference rankings. They all seem better in my eyes. I definitely don't see them as the 11th best team in the nation. But make no mistake about it, they are a clear tournament team in my eyes. I dont want my conference predictions to sway people into thinking I believe they aren't a good team. They are definitely a good team.
I'm still waiting for your support for MSU and IU being better than Illinois.

I love Andre Curbelo. He has a ton of potential. But the fact of the matter is he was very inefficient last year. It reminds me of this time last year when Rocket Watts was being touted as a top guard in the conference everywhere even though he had really bad efficiency numbers as a freshman as well.. There seems to be this group think forming that he is the best point guard in the conference.. Michigan State and Indiana have older point guard transfers who can also actually shoot and defend. Indiana and Michigan State both seem superior on the wings and the 4 position, where Illinois is reportedly considering a D3 transfer and still unknown as far as where they are going to turn for the 4 man.

Indiana has a very solid duo at the 4 in Race Thompson and Miller Kopp.

Indiana has a player who is very close to Kofi at the same position.

Indiana very likely has a clear coaching advantage.

Indiana adds a 5 star freshman on the wing to go along with a solid transfer in Parker Stewart, who is a 37% career 3 pointer shooter on 388 attempts.

Michigan State adds 3 highly touted freshman wings to go along with Gabe Brown. Max Christie is a potential one and done draft pick.

Michigan State returns a solid, experienced duo at the 4 position in Hauser and Hall.

Michigan State has a clear coaching advantage.

When I look at Illinois, I see older guys returning who kind of are what they are in Trent Frazier and D. Williams. Really solid defensive duo, but neither is suited for an increased offensive role that they will have to take on without Ayo Dosunmu there.

D. Williams was a bad offensive player who shot 33 of 122 (27%) from 3 his first three years in college basketball. Then last year, with no crowd in the stands and completely empty stadiums, he inexplicably shot 55% from 3 out of nowhere on a low amount of attempts. I'm not really expecting a repeat of that. On top of that, he is just kind of a bone head. He got a technical for trying to fight Wisconsin assistant coach. A flagrant for blatantly attacking an Iowa player with an elbow in the big ten tournament. Just not a heady player who is always susceptible to dumb plays. On top of that, you have assistants under Underwood getting into altercations vs Iowa, players getting suspended for stomping opponents. Just a bad mix of low discipline all around. Trent Frazier had a good year last year, but has mostly been inefficient his career as well. So we are kind of expecting Frazier, D. Williams, and Curbelo to all be efficient players this season while being forced to take on a larger role now that Ayo Dosunmu is gone. I just can't trust that. I think the offense is going to really struggle at times and Underwood teams have mostly been bad defensively even though Illinois was really good last year.

So that is why I see Illinois as more of a top 25-40 team as opposed to a top 10 team.

I love Andre Curbelo. He has a ton of potential. But the fact of the matter is he was very inefficient last year. It reminds me of this time last year when Rocket Watts was being touted as a top guard in the conference everywhere even though he had really bad efficiency numbers as a freshman as well.. There seems to be this group think forming that he is the best point guard in the conference.. Michigan State and Indiana have older point guard transfers who can also actually shoot and defend. Indiana and Michigan State both seem superior on the wings and the 4 position, where Illinois is reportedly considering a D3 transfer and still unknown as far as where they are going to turn for the 4 man.

Indiana has a very solid duo at the 4 in Race Thompson and Miller Kopp.

Indiana has a player who is very close to Kofi at the same position.

Indiana very likely has a clear coaching advantage.

Indiana adds a 5 star freshman on the wing to go along with a solid transfer in Parker Stewart, who is a 37% career 3 pointer shooter on 388 attempts.

Michigan State adds 3 highly touted freshman wings to go along with Gabe Brown. Max Christie is a potential one and done draft pick.

Michigan State returns a solid, experienced duo at the 4 position in Hauser and Hall.

Michigan State has a clear coaching advantage.

When I look at Illinois, I see older guys returning who kind of are what they are in Trent Frazier and D. Williams. Really solid defensive duo, but neither is suited for an increased offensive role that they will have to take on without Ayo Dosunmu there.

D. Williams was a bad offensive player who shot 33 of 122 (27%) from 3 his first three years in college basketball. Then last year, with no crowd in the stands and completely empty stadiums, he inexplicably shot 55% from 3 out of nowhere on a low amount of attempts. I'm not really expecting a repeat of that. On top of that, he is just kind of a bone head. He got a technical for trying to fight Wisconsin assistant coach. A flagrant for blatantly attacking an Iowa player with an elbow in the big ten tournament. Just not a heady player who is always susceptible to dumb plays. On top of that, you have assistants under Underwood getting into altercations vs Iowa, players getting suspended for stomping opponents. Just a bad mix of low discipline all around. Trent Frazier had a good year last year, but has mostly been inefficient his career as well. So we are kind of expecting Frazier, D. Williams, and Curbelo to all be efficient players this season while being forced to take on a larger role now that Ayo Dosunmu is gone. I just can't trust that. I think the offense is going to really struggle at times and Underwood teams have mostly been bad defensively even though Illinois was really good last year.

So that is why I see Illinois as more of a top 25-40 team as opposed to a top 10 team.
I will bet you Illinois finishes higher than both Indiana and Michigan State.

Even if you think Woodson will become a great coach at IU, how is that a point in IU’s favor as of today when your whole point is Illinois is being overrated because it has some unknowns?? Lol. Woodson hasn’t coached a game! Underwood took a dumpster fire Illini program and got them in the top 20 by year 3 and a 1-seed by year 4. He’s clearly more proven than Woodson…?

• Haha
Reactions: Ingersol
Andre Curbelo certainly showed flashes, but he was not very efficient and that was with Ayo Dosunmu taking a considerable amount of pressure off of him to have to create. I cant really see any scenario where they win the conference this year without Ayo Dosunmu. That would be really shocking to me. I see somewhere between 7-9 as the most likely scenario for Illinois, so its interesting to see you claim you cant see Illinois being 7th. Illinois is nowhere near the top 3 in my eyes, but I think the next 3 I have listed of MSU, Indiana, and Maryland are all clearly better heading into the season as well. I see Illinois as a good team, just not a great one like some of the other teams in the conference.

@RichieRebel this is who you are dealing with 😂

Still feeling good about Illinois since its early or have you adjusted your opinion on them?

What are you seeing in MSU and IU that makes you confident they will finish above Illinois? Looks like a rebuilding year for Sparty and has IU really addressed their deficiencies which caused them to finish 7-12 in league last year? Franklin was clearly their 2nd best player and he transferred.
I think they have...Shooting/scoring. Stewart, Bates and Kopp...Parker starting to find his shot(43%). Kopp as well. Bates is a 4/5* that can score from all three levels. Very smooth for a frosh, and was a highly regarded shooter coming oout of HS..

Not to mention, so far, I think an upgrade in coaching. Culture has changed. You can see that, in how they play.

TJD is a different player. Race has improved. Xavier is a huge upgrade at the PG. Lander is getting better...As is Geronimo. Indiana has a lot of depth, and kids who can make plays.

Will they be better than Illinois? IDK. But it would not surprise me if they did.

Reactions: Ingersol
Gonzaga
BYU
St Marys
Santa clara
USF
LMU
San Diego
Portland
Pacific
Pepperdine

The top 5 schools are all undefeated so far with a good amount of quality wins.

I think they have...Shooting/scoring. Stewart, Bates and Kopp...Parker starting to find his shot(43%). Kopp as well. Bates is a 4/5* that can score from all three levels. Very smooth for a frosh, and was a highly regarded shooter coming oout of HS..

Not to mention, so far, I think an upgrade in coaching. Culture has changed. You can see that, in how they play.

TJD is a different player. Race has improved. Xavier is a huge upgrade at the PG. Lander is getting better...As is Geronimo. Indiana has a lot of depth, and kids who can make plays.

Will they be better than Illinois? IDK. But it would not surprise me if they did.
If Illinois still looks broken, IU will definitely finish above them.

ADVERTISEMENT