ADVERTISEMENT

UVA Declines White House Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeah, facts are cool.

"Ever since December temperatures in the Arctic have consistently been lower than minus 20 C. In April the extent of Arctic sea ice was back to where it was in April 13 years ago. Furthermore, whereas in 2008 most of the ice was extremely thin, this year most has been at least two metres thick. The Greenland ice cap last winter increased in volume faster than at any time for years.

As for those record temperatures brought in 2016 by an exceptionally strong El Niño, the satellites now show that in recent months global temperatures have plummeted by more that 0.6 degrees: just as happened 17 years ago after a similarly strong El Niño had also made 1998 the “hottest year on record”.

This means the global temperature trend has now shown no further warming for 19 years. But the BBC won’t be telling us any of this. And we are still stuck with that insanely damaging Climate Change Act, which in this election will scarcely get a mention."

~ Danish Meteorological Institute.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/06/another-arctic-ice-panic-world-temperatures-plummet/

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I previously said I would like to see polls that cover a much wider scope. The other poll was about a friendship being strained because of someone with opposing views supporting Hillary or Trump. 35% of democrats said that would put a strain, only 13% for republicans. These polls aren't definitive facts, obviously. But the gaps are HUGE - I don't think the disparity should be anywhere near a 3 to 1 ratio. And then you see liberals rioting the streets, looting, destroying property, sending death threats, harassing conservatives in a public forum, constant shaming. And that's not to say conservatives don't have similar tactics, it just appears that liberals do it on a much higher level.

Again, that is just Trump. My wife is from Texas and voted for Bush 2x, then Obama. She has been pretty benign on politics. Trump has sent her into a frenzy. She finds him repulsive. Obama had a similar, albeit not as bad, effect on people of the right.

Both sides have shit bags that exhibit the behavior you mention. I am unsure who has more. It’s probably pretty close. Can you point me in a direction to find out the answer?

Don't know if that is a good idea.
I’ve tried them, it’s not really a thing you wanna do everyday. The people that do, well buckle up. As Hunter Thompson said, “buy the ticket, take the ride”.

I’ve heard of people microdosing to treat depression, even though I think that’s a little crazy tbh. Shrooms are good once every 5 years if you have a day/weekend to kill, and want to be in utter-relaxation. Acid is a different story lol. I haven’t dropped acid since I was 24. Too much.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Why wouldn’t we want to be better stewards of our home? Forget all the scientific evidence for a moment. Do you think we truly don’t have an impact on the environment? If so, I challenge you to sit in your garage with the car running for a few hours. Let’s see how it works out.
Yes, man has an impact. How much is the question. Destroying the economy over something no one knows what exactly to do is not a good idea. Throwing money to third world countries won’t change a damn thing either.

Be good stewards, yes. But the US can’t do it alone. Stop telling lies about the future will help. No one knows what will happen with the climate. Stop with the nonsense that climate change causes all the flooding, droughts, hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, etc.

I’ve tried them, it’s not really a thing you wanna do everyday. The people that do, well buckle up. As Hunter Thompson said, “buy the ticket, take the ride”.

I’ve heard of people microdosing to treat depression, even though I think that’s a little crazy tbh. Shrooms are good once every 5 years if you have a day/weekend to kill, and want to be in utter-relaxation. Acid is a different story lol. I haven’t dropped acid since I was 24. Too much.
I tried them years ago with an old roommate. Went on a long walk got distracted by the clouds moving really fast and lightning. We stood there and stared at the sky on the side of a country road while cars were buzzing by periodically. Between the two of us, neither thought that clouds and lightning often come with rain. Got soaking wet and couldn't do anything but laugh.

Yes, man has an impact. How much is the question. Destroying the economy over something no one knows what exactly to do is not a good idea. Throwing money to third world countries won’t change a damn thing either.

Be good stewards, yes. But the US can’t do it alone. Stop telling lies about the future will help. No one knows what will happen with the climate. Stop with the nonsense that climate change causes all the flooding, droughts, hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, etc.
How are we destroying the economy over climate change?

As for humanitarian aid, it is a good thing. A rising tide lifts all boats. I would like to do more for our own populous, but we do plenty.

Climate change most certainly has an effect on the things you’ve listed. How much is debatable, but to deny it is pure ignorance.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
I tried them years ago with an old roommate. Went on a long walk got distracted by the clouds moving really fast and lightning. We stood there and stared at the sky on the side of a country road while cars were buzzing by periodically. Between the two of us, neither thought that clouds and lightning often come with rain. Got soaking wet and couldn't do anything but laugh.
Sounds about right Laughing

Ever scared you would be one of the guys that just flips the eff out and eats a live squirrel

Reactions: UL_1986
Ever scared you would be one of the guys that just flips the eff out and eats a live squirrel
That kind of stuff only happens with people that were already morons before they did the drugs. There’s an old Bill Hicks skit where he talks about guys like that who ruin it for everybody else because they’re the only ones making the news.

There are some good and interesting arguments in here re: climate change, and then there's drivel like this:

No one, especially me, disputes climate change exists. The climate is always changing. At one point most of this country was covered in ice. So the climate changes, the ice melted. What nobody, including your 99% of scientists, can prove that man has caused it, or can stop it.

Man can no more stop the climate from changing than we can stop earth quakes, hurricanes, tornados, etc. Show me proof that banning the internal combustion engine, coal, cows,etc will stop climate change.

Here is a fact, the climate has always been changing and always will, nothing man can do about it.

Personally, I am all for going back to the days of horse and wagon, no electricity, no Starbucks, no plastic, etc. Remember this, your smart phone and computer will be useless and you may have to actually do manual labor if you wish to eat.

Thieves are shot on sight, lazy people starve, the weak die off, only the strong survive.

Let’s do this!!!

It's a word salad of talking points. On a quick glance, we have:
  • cLiMaTe Is AlWaYs ChAnGiNg!
  • Ridiculous standards of proof, including the statement that such proof can never materialize.
  • Tearing down strawmen: 1) banning the internal combustion engine/coal/cows; 2) going back to the days of the horse and buggy; and 3) some weird apocalyptic fan fiction where, we can safely assume, KyFaninNC will be shooting thieves on sight, laughing at the plight of the lazy, and surviving b/c he's a strong man.
  • Because man cannot stop all climate change, we should be nothing about any of it.
But wait, there's more!

This includes dire predictions ("Destroying the economy!"), dismissing any/all predictions because no one can "know" the future, and another strawman argument ("climate change causes all the flooding, droughts, hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, etc").

Reactions: Dattier and Sevro
Again, that is just Trump. My wife is from Texas and voted for Bush 2x, then Obama. She has been pretty benign on politics. Trump has sent her into a frenzy. She finds him repulsive. Obama had a similar, albeit not as bad, effect on people of the right.

Both sides have shit bags that exhibit the behavior you mention. I am unsure who has more. It’s probably pretty close. Can you point me in a direction to find out the answer?
I'd guess this is the right answer.

There are some good and interesting arguments in here re: climate change, and then there's drivel like this:

It's a word salad of talking points. On a quick glance, we have:
  • cLiMaTe Is AlWaYs ChAnGiNg!
  • Ridiculous standards of proof, including the statement that such proof can never materialize.
  • Tearing down strawmen: 1) banning the internal combustion engine/coal/cows; 2) going back to the days of the horse and buggy; and 3) some weird apocalyptic fan fiction where, we can safely assume, KyFaninNC will be shooting thieves on sight, laughing at the plight of the lazy, and surviving b/c he's a strong man.
  • Because man cannot stop all climate change, we should be nothing about any of it.
But wait, there's more!

This includes dire predictions ("Destroying the economy!"), dismissing any/all predictions because no one can "know" the future, and another strawman argument ("climate change causes all the flooding, droughts, hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, etc").
Ok smart guy. Tell us how to fix it. How can we stop the climate from changing? And give specifics, not some rants from some liberal talking points. I am waiting for your fixes to stop us from destroying the planet.

Ok smart guy. Tell us how to fix it. How can we stop the climate from changing? And give specifics, not some rants from some liberal talking points. I am waiting for your fixes to stop us from destroying the planet.
I think we can look towards renewable energy. It will never be the sole source of our energy but it can be much more. Contrary to popular belief, lots of big business is looking towards being more efficient. It just makes sense. Wind, water, and solar are out there. As we get more efficient at harnessing the energy, you will see more people adopt it.

It is undeniable that we are polluting the air. Go to LA, Beijing, Delhi, etc. The quality is miserable. You have trouble breathing the air. Plants struggle. That is undeniable. It would be silly to ignore our output. Would it completely mitigate all our pollution..? No. But it’s a start.

There are sensible actions we can take. Hysterics aren’t a good look for either side.

Haha nope, but one of the last times I tripped was when that guy got his face bitten off in Florida by the guy on bath salts, and that was a reoccurring joke throughout the night that someone was going to possibly lose it and gnaw on someone’s meat suit. Pretty ****ed.

I think we can look towards renewable energy. It will never be the sole source of our energy but it can be much more. Contrary to popular belief, lots of big business is looking towards being more efficient. It just makes sense. Wind, water, and solar are out there. As we get more efficient at harnessing the energy, you will see more people adopt it.

It is undeniable that we are polluting the air. Go to LA, Beijing, Delhi, etc. The quality is miserable. You have trouble breathing the air. Plants struggle. That is undeniable. It would be silly to ignore our output. Would it completely mitigate all our pollution..? No. But it’s a start.

There are sensible actions we can take. Hysterics aren’t a good look for either side.
I am all for that. Been saying for years we need more nuclear power. And if we can figure a way to send men to the moon and back, why can’t we figure out how to power a car without harmful emissions and better mileage?

Reactions: Sevro

I was waiting for know it all Big blue to respond, but now he will just use your examples.

I am not sold on wind that much, might help in certain areas of the country, but those windmills are an eye sore.

Haha nope, but one of the last times I tripped was when that guy got his face bitten off in Florida by the guy on bath salts, and that was a reoccurring joke throughout the night that someone was going to possibly lose it and gnaw on someone’s meat suit. Pretty ****ed.
Yea----Our small town police bookings have those meth/potpouri junkies on it all the time.

Reactions: UL_1986
Yeah, nothing more to say there, and it doesn't bode well for other topics, either.

Climate change happens, sure. But I assume you were talking about anthropogenic climate change, attributing the climate change to human activity.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I previously said I would like to see polls that cover a much wider scope. The other poll was about a friendship being strained because of someone with opposing views supporting Hillary or Trump. 35% of democrats said that would put a strain, only 13% for republicans. These polls aren't definitive facts, obviously. But the gaps are HUGE - I don't think the disparity should be anywhere near a 3 to 1 ratio. And then you see liberals rioting the streets, looting, destroying property, sending death threats, harassing conservatives in a public forum, constant shaming. And that's not to say conservatives don't have similar tactics, it just appears that liberals do it on a much higher level.

They don't do it on different levels though. You might feel that way, but that's emotion rather than fact.

The 3 to 1 split makes sense when you consider the person Trump is. You appear to be of the belief that the split would be the same regardless of the specific candidates. I don't think that's correct. That poll shows the difference in sentiment for two people, not two parties.

Reactions: Dattier
They don't do it on different levels though. You might feel that way, but that's emotion rather than fact.

The 3 to 1 split makes sense when you consider the person Trump is. You appear to be of the belief that the split would be the same regardless of the specific candidates. I don't think that's correct. That poll shows the difference in sentiment for two people, not two parties.

I never said the results would be the same, did I?

I also said I was open to a poll with a broader scope.

And the Dartmouth study, while obviously a much smaller sample and demographic, wasn't related to Trump at all. It asked whether you'd be less likely to be friends with those of the opposite party. 55% of democrats said yes, only compared to 12 percent of republicans. That's a much, much wider gap. And yes, I realize that's just a small sample. But I'd say the Dartmouth figure is somewhat reflective of the college population - and the college population represents 10% of the general populace. From what I've seen and heard, I'm led to believe that liberals, on average, are less tolerant. Nothing I've read leads me to believe otherwise. But feel free to counter.

I never said the results would be the same, did I?

I also said I was open to a poll with a broader scope.

And the Dartmouth study, while obviously a much smaller sample and demographic, wasn't related to Trump at all. It asked whether you'd be less likely to be friends with those of the opposite party. 55% of democrats said yes, only compared to 12 percent of republicans. That's a much, much wider gap. And yes, I realize that's just a small sample. But I'd say the Dartmouth figure is somewhat reflective of the college population - and the college population represents 10% of the general populace. From what I've seen and heard, I'm led to believe that liberals, on average, are less tolerant. Nothing I've read leads me to believe otherwise. But feel free to counter.
I thought we made progress with my earlier post. Libs are less tolerant in some areas and more in others. I’m not sure how you can’t agree to that. A college liberal might be less likely to tolerate a Trump voter but much more likely to accept your sexuality or religious preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT