ADVERTISEMENT

So Makur Maker commits...

Same. Rupp did more for UK basketball and the school itself than anyone outside the founder. No one has bitched about it before. Leave it alone.
No one bitched about statues and the names of army bases before, either....With how this world is going, anything remotely close to racism/slavery, etc, etc...is vulnerable---And that includes Rupp Arena. If you don't think some idiot will bring it up, then you are letting your love for UK hinder your thought process.

No one bitched about statues and the names of army bases before, either....With how this world is going, anything remotely close to racism/slavery, etc, etc...is vulnerable---And that includes Rupp Arena. If you don't think some idiot will bring it up, then you are letting your love for UK hinder your thought process.

Some idiot brought it up in this thread. :D

I'm sure they will, but it's fun to placate to some.

Rupp's name isn't coming off the building, and his banner isn't coming down due to ignorance.

It's fun watching mini-uprisings though.
No, its not. Bringing up the possibility of Rupp's name coming off the arena isn't baout being a hater, not liking UK, etc, etc....Its about the times we now live in. Someone, somewhere, at sometime, will bring this up. Its inevitable. And I truly hope UK does not balk.

No, its not. Bringing up the possibility of Rupp's name coming off the arena isn't baout being a hater, not liking UK, etc, etc....Its about the times we now live in. Someone, somewhere, at sometime, will bring this up. Its inevitable. And I truly hope UK does not balk.
Do you think Hell, MI will be renamed?

I'm just mocking the climate. I couldn't care less if they rename everything.

If ppl need it to feel comfortable, I'm ok with it.

We're still going to kick 90% of ass in the arena despite what it's called.

If there was ever a case where a black kid said publicly "I don't feel comfortable playing in that arena" I might think a little more on it. But literally zero people have ever come out and said that. Rupp has been around for 50 years and we've never had an issue.

If someone brings it up, its because there isn't a problem and they want there to be one.
Times have changed Jimbo. You know this. No one having said nothing in the past, is irrelevant to the times we now are living in....

It’s a tad different Borden. People did complain about confederate statues and monuments and flags. They didn’t willingly participate in supporting the confederate army or anything to do with it.

By attending UK and putting on that jersey, you are supporting the school. You are agreeing to do your best to make Kentucky look good.

For fifty years and longer there have been calls to end the confederate things. Not a single black player or coach has said anything negative about Rupp. If they had, surely we would have heard about it.

So pardon me, not just a tad different, but not even in the same ballpark.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I'm just mocking the climate. I couldn't care less if they rename everything.
Me neither...I told the wife---I dont give a **** anymore. Rename ****in everyting. I mean we now have a Black Anthem that will be played before the National Anthem...I mean, all bets are off.

Me neither...I told the wife---I dont give a **** anymore. Rename ****in everyting. I mean we now have a Black Anthem that will be played before the National Anthem...I mean, all bets are off.
I'm looking forward to hearing it the first time. If it's better than the Star Anthem, then replace it. It's hard to sing anyway.

It’s a tad different Borden. People did complain about confederate statues and monuments and flags. They didn’t willingly participate in supporting the confederate army or anything to do with it.

By attending UK and putting on that jersey, you are supporting the school. You are agreeing to do your best to make Kentucky look good.

For fifty years and longer there have been calls to end the confederate things. Not a single black player or coach has said anything negative about Rupp. If they had, surely we would have heard about it.

So pardon me, not just a tad different, but not even in the same ballpark.
Brother, you just ain't getting it...The times we now live in are much different. There is a difference in complaining----opposed to actual action, i.e. protest, tearing down statues, etc, etc...The height of this is at a point that none of us have ever seen. Look at the kid from Ole Miss. Star running-back. Told the University---"change the flag, or I'm transferring." I get it....I think you are taking this as an attack toward UK. Its not. Its a very plausible scenario, that could happen.

Brother, you just ain't getting it...The times we now live in are much different. There is a difference in complaining----opposed to actual action, i.e. protest, tearing down statues, etc, etc...The height of this is at a point that none of us have ever seen. Look at the kid from Ole Miss. Star running-back. Told the University---"change the flag, or I'm transferring." I get it....I think you are taking this as an attack toward UK. Its not. Its a very plausible scenario, that could happen.
I get it just fine, man. I am logically arguing why UK will not change the name. If you disagree, that's fine. Everything I've posted is factual.

That's not even close to the same.

I do appreciate the wind up.

Permaban bet or sig bet with anyone that Rupp will not be renamed
I mean, I doubt it happens. But I'd bet you a cool $100 that it gets brought up. Anything even CLOSE to resembling racism/slavery/oppression, will be vulnerable. Just wait....So,e activist that has no fukin clue about Rupp, will catch wind of his "story", etc, etc....And boom----That's all it takes.

I get it just fine, man. I am logically arguing why UK will not change the name. If you disagree, that's fine. Everything I've posted is factual.
I never said UK would(change). But to dismiss that it would not could not be discussed, brought up, etc, etc...Is being extremely naive. Especially with the times we now live in. I agree....I don't UK touches the name. But I would not be close to shocked if someone brought it up, and tried. Not at all.

I mean, I doubt it happens. But I'd bet you a cool $100 that it gets brought up. Anything even CLOSE to resembling racism/slavery/oppression, will be vulnerable. Just wait....So,e activist that has no fukin clue about Rupp, will catch wind of his "story", etc, etc....And boom----That's all it takes.
....and pigs cars could fly one day.

Why resonate on mights?

Let me rephrase.

Not happening. fun to troll on, and no chance of happening. Rupp is going to haunt your grandparents with the asskickings.

That's not even close to the same.

I do appreciate the wind up.
I mean, you know, if this were any school but UK, I doubt you disagree at all. Its funny. What do you mean, "its not even close"? Sure it is. Remove UK from the discussion, and you'll probably think a bit clearer..

I mean, you know, if this were any school but UK, I doubt you disagree at all. Its funny. What do you mean, "its not even close"? Sure it is. Remove UK from the discussion, and you'll probably think a bit clearer..
Are you speaking for me?

....and pigs cars could fly one day.

Why resonate on mights?
Quit being a pussy, brother. JFC....This is what annoys me. We live in a time where anything---I mean anything, remotely tied, or felt to be tied, to racism, is being questioned...Rupp's history as a racist has been questioned, and a part of his legacy. Do I think he was(racist)? Probably not. I think he was a product of his time. Does that mean he was racist? I dunno. IMO, he was like any other 50/60 year old man, who lived in the 50's.
To think this couldn't be an issue is being naive.

I never said UK would(change). But to dismiss that it would not could not be discussed, brought up, etc, etc...Is being extremely naive. Especially with the times we now live in. I agree....I don't UK touches the name. But I would not be close to shocked if someone brought it up, and tried. Not at all.
Not dismissing at all. Simply stating why I think there’s no logical reason for them to try and change the name

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Quit being a pussy, brother. JFC....This is what annoys me. We live in a time where anything---I mean anything, remotely tied, or felt to be tied, to racism, is being questioned...Rupp's history as a racist has been questioned, and a part of his legacy. Do I think he was(racist)? Probably not. I think he was a product of his time. Does that mean he was racist? I dunno. IMO, he was like any other 50/60 year old man, who lived in the 50's.
To think this couldn't be an issue is being naive.
I could say the same for thinking it would be an issue.

Laughing

This just in....from the AP news wire...We have confirmation the #1 2020 recruiting class has showed up in Lexington, despite the false narrative of the home arena's name.

When asked why UK? "It was the best platform for me to show my talents". 'They've had A STRONG history of players and many made the HOF. We're here to support UK and continue the tradition in playin in the greatest arena of all time"

Not dismissing at all. Simply stating why I think there’s no logical reason for them to try and change the name
THere's no logical reason for a lot of things that are happening---But they are.

Really? I think you are being very sensitive...If this were IU or UL....you'd be just fione with the discussion.
If this were IU or UL, i wouldn't even post in this thread. Couldn't care less.

Try it and see. Make a thread about anything IU or UL and see if I post in it.

This just in....from the AP news wire...We have confirmation the #1 2020 recruiting class has showed up in Lexington, despite the false narrative of the home arena's name.

When asked why UK? "It was the best platform for me to show my talents". 'They've had A STRONG history of players and many made the HOF. We're here to support UK and continue the tradition in playin in the greatest arena of all time"
Man, this really has you bothered....Look at the times we are now living in....I mean will it become an issue? I doubt it. But if it did---I mean, would you be surprised?

Its impossible to have a conversation with any of you about UK, if its not kissing UK's ass....It really is.

UK threads have a certain amount of posters who can't help themselves.

This shouldn't be one, but here we are.

Reactions: Hank_
Man, this really has you bothered....Look at the times we are now living in....I mean will it become an issue? I doubt it. But if it did---I mean, would you be surprised?

Its impossible to have a conversation with any of you about UK, if its not kissing UK's ass....It really is.

you keep saying this but seem to ignore my post.

If anything, I like you guys talking about UK

If this was about IU, I wouldn't be currently posting.

BTW. real UK fans don't need ppl kissing our ass. We know we're the best. You guys shiting on it is just playtoys and we'll bounce you around. Dont get it confused.

Come on. We just had a back and forth without issue.

I get it buddy. Again, I don’t think tearing down confederate statues and monuments are in the same ballpark. If you do, we will just have to disagree.
Huh? Why do you think confederate statues and monuments are being torn down? Its b/c they are seen as a symbol of racism. Some, and this may come as a shock, but some feel Rupp was a racist. I mean anything that is remotely close to being considered racist, it is vulnerable to being removed. That is all that is being said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT