ADVERTISEMENT

So Makur Maker commits...

AuHoosier420

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2008
To Howard University. Think this trend picks up steam? It’s about to be Texas western over UK all over Again.

They must have a damn good coach, to get the kid to commit there... must have framed it as about more than just him.

So in three months people will officially be allowed to be triggered by Rupp? Why hasn’t it been an issue before?
I’m pretty sure Rupp has always been a controversial historic person, whether the stories are accurate or not. In today’s climate having an arena named after him and having statues of him in town will probably not go over well with some.

I say 3 months because school will be back in session with kids on campus. I don’t see how the removal of his name on the stadium doesn’t atleast get brought up by some school organization.

I’m pretty sure Rupp has always been a controversial historic person, whether the stories are accurate or not. In today’s climate having an arena named after him and having statues of him in town will probably not go over well with some.

I say 3 months because school will be back in session with kids on campus. I don’t see how the removal of his name on the stadium doesn’t atleast get brought up by some school organization.
Its been so controversial that not a single black kid has not come to Kentucky because of Rupp Arena. Let me tell you how controversial it is.

Its been so controversial that not a single black kid has not come to Kentucky because of Rupp Arena. Let me tell you how controversial it is.
The absolute worst case scenario is somebody on the team says he’s transferring if the school doesn’t do anything about it or a high profile recruit points it out and says he’d never commit because of the name on the stadium.

I’d guess that 90%+ recruits/players don’t care at all, but they are all very young and impressionable and don’t want to be left out. They want to fit in as much as anything. If suddenly, like overnight, the “in” thing to do became to protest Rupp arena’s name then the school would be forced to deal with the situation, no matter how much the officials didn’t agree. I mean, Mike Gundy was forced to deal with something he probably thought was total BS so it’s not like it couldn’t happen at Kentucky.

I’m not saying any of the above will happen. But you absolutely know that it could, ya know?

The absolute worst case scenario is somebody on the team says he’s transferring if the school doesn’t do anything about it or a high profile recruit points it out and says he’d never commit because of the name on the stadium.

I’d guess that 90%+ recruits/players don’t care at all, but they are all very young and impressionable and don’t want to be left out. They want to fit in as much as anything. If suddenly, like overnight, the “in” thing to do became to protest Rupp arena’s name then the school would be forced to deal with the situation, no matter how much the officials didn’t agree. I mean, Mike Gundy was forced to deal with something he probably thought was total BS so it’s not like it couldn’t happen at Kentucky.

I’m not saying any of the above will happen. But you absolutely know that it could, ya know?
If there was ever a case where a black kid said publicly "I don't feel comfortable playing in that arena" I might think a little more on it. But literally zero people have ever come out and said that. Rupp has been around for 50 years and we've never had an issue.

If someone brings it up, its because there isn't a problem and they want there to be one.

If there was ever a case where a black kid said publicly "I don't feel comfortable playing in that arena" I might think a little more on it. But literally zero people have ever come out and said that. Rupp has been around for 50 years and we've never had an issue.

If someone brings it up, its because there isn't a problem and they want there to be one.

https://www.change.org/p/eli-capilouto-change-the-name-of-rupp-arena

200.gif

Reactions: uncfan in ky
...and just like that. A Maker thread is about UK. He's already fell off the map.

It doesn't matter what it's called, we're still going to keep a near 90% win percentage there.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Human trafficker Ed Smith coerces teenage refugee to take advantage of political environment and make a hollow gesture in the name of free PR.

America cheers. Irony dies its 172,736,745th death this year.

We should also throw his name in POY thread. The numbers he's going to put up in the should be insane.

Reactions: JRMSU

Ha....funny thing is it’s probably true.

...and just like that. A Maker thread is about UK. He's already fell off the map.

It doesn't matter what it's called, we're still going to keep a near 90% win percentage there.

^^^^ still thinks pat Riley was a better point guard than Texas western’s^^^^

While Branch and Rupp were from a much different time, I almost wouldn't blame the players for wanting the names changed.

Not saying Branch McCracken was perfect but he brought in Garrett and broke the color barrier for the entire B1G conference. His name and statue isn’t going anywhere

Reactions: SIhoosier26
I just hope UK tells whomever-----to go **** themselves.
I'm sure they will, but it's fun to placate to some.

Rupp's name isn't coming off the building, and his banner isn't coming down due to ignorance.

It's fun watching mini-uprisings though.

Reactions: toonces11
Not saying Branch McCracken was perfect but he brought in Garrett and broke the color barrier for the entire B1G conference. His name and statue isn’t going anywhere
I would’ve agreed before but they’re taking down Abe’s statue and he abolished slavery, reasoning has gone out the window at this point. Let’s just hope IU fights back if the time arises.

Do we think he actually plays at Howard or is this a publicity stunt

I would’ve agreed before but they’re taking down Abe’s statue and he abolished slavery, reasoning has gone out the window at this point. Let’s just hope IU fights back if the time arises.
That might have more to due that Abe was an Kentuckian.

Thing is, I don't remember Texas Western point guard and neither do you.

fair point but the entire premise of that story and the movie was hilarious. Kentucky had no business being the favorite In that game. They were out talented and out classed at all 5 positions on the floor.

I think you are letting your feelings get in the way....Racism has not been on the level it is, as it is now, like, well, in forever. It hasn't been an issue in the past because the world wasn't turning upside down. Statues are being torn down...Army bases being renamed...Its just a matter of time before some snowflake brings up Rupp.

ADVERTISEMENT