ADVERTISEMENT

Paying College Athletes? Where do you see this going?

Yea but we all know UL isnt why he signed the executive order. Dont get me wrong im glad he did i guess. Id still be for more or a salary cap system but whatever.

I just dont see what keeps one big dick booster to pay a kid half a mil for an autographed poster or jersey.

Reactions: IUBtown
Memphis has super deep pockets as well. Duren could very well end up here.

It is hard to match coal money though. Plus the income from fans.

Gonna be the same bidding wars, just with boosters thrown in with the shoe companies.

Gonna be the same bidding wars, just with boosters thrown in with the shoe companies.
I think this will cause an uptick for UL. Chris Mack has the personality of a drunk wallpaper, but I think UL ties will overcome that.

*for context on drunken wallpaper.

Last edited:
Imagine if T. Boone Pickens was still alive. Or Marc Cuban for IU?

Phil Knight didn't do any favors for Oregon yesterday.

Yea i dont see what keeps mark cuban from buying the top 5 recruits every year. Im like you i think it will be nuts.

Yea but we all know UL isnt why he signed the executive order. Dont get me wrong im glad he did i guess. Id still be for more or a salary cap system but whatever.

Honestly guy, I don't know why you'd be hung on this..,maybe false narrative. You get as much as we do. Use it. You have one of the most well traveled and passionate fanbases in the country.

Yea i dont see what keeps mark cuban from buying the top 5 recruits every year. Im like you i think it will be nuts.
It's going to be nuts. Probably one of the biggest changes in college athletics since integration

Modern era starts July 1st. Which also happens to my bday. Great gift.

I honestly can't wait to see how Kentucky "stacks" up. All us.

No pro sports team is about to pay off. Pun intended.
I think one thing I've read here is concern only the top guys are gonna get paid, and that could cause issues internally.

I'm just not sure the top players are the only marketable players. I am not saying everybody gets paid, but a lot of people might be very marketable that aren't even known on a national level.

I think one thing I've read here is concern only the top guys are gonna get paid, and that could cause issues internally.

I'm just not sure the top players are the only marketable players. I am not saying everybody gets paid, but a lot of people might be very marketable that aren't even known on a national level.
I feel our, yours and mine, will all get make money. I think kids know and are aware of who has the most "followers".

Lest not we forget, trickle down economics, Meaning while in college, all money is great money.

I think the real money won't come from Joe's Muffler shop down the road but from online follows.

I honestly think its because what the NCAA has been doing is going against individual rights. The NCAA as governing body is so outdated and poorly implemented. I don't think the Colleges should pay athletes, but what an individual does with their own likeness and marketability is none of the NCAA's business. Its all about US citizen rights. Exactly why government is involved with this. Amateur status was governed only due to the Olympics. That's no longer necessary. They're still student athletes, just provided with a basic right to earn.

The universities could assist them by providing management/financial classes etc. What is wrong with an athlete having their own youtube channel, shoe contracts, merchandise sales etc. As long as it doesn't take away from their commitment to their institution.

By allowing the athlete to control their financial destiny, it provides for a more even playing ground with the small to large programs by keeping the programs out of it.
I agree athletes should be able to have shoe contracts, merchandise sales, etc....But on their OWN accord. Not via the NCAA,or said University. Thats been my argument---I do not think the NCAA should have to pay players. So in the aspect of the NCAA not allowing athlete's to pursue such avenues, I agree that is wrong. With that being said, I do NOT think the NCAA should allow said schools to help with such endeavors. Nor be allowed to promote such. TO me, thats where trouble would emerge.

Bottom line---I don't feel the NCAA owes a single dime to a single athlete.

Also the part where you said universities could assist by providing them management/financial classes----They do. Its called Economics.

I agree athletes should be able to have shoe contracts, merchandise sales, etc....But on their OWN accord. Not via the NCAA,or said University. Thats been my argument---I do not think the NCAA should have to pay players. So in the aspect of the NCAA not allowing athlete's to pursue such avenues, I agree that is wrong. With that being said, I do NOT think the NCAA should allow said schools to help with such endeavors. Nor be allowed to promote such. TO me, thats where trouble would emerge.

Bottom line---I don't feel the NCAA owes a single dime to a single athlete.

Also the part where you said universities could assist by providing them management/financial classes----They do. Its called Economics.
We agree lol well said. Economics is not the class to learn about financial planning and management. I have a degree in accounting and was only required 2 economic classes.

We agree lol well said. Economics is not the class to learn about financial planning and management. I have a degree in accounting and was only required 2 economic classes.
How many do you need? Through my econ classes, I learned enough in regard to how to handle/manage my future earnings. PLus, I mean most of us learned through our parents, their advice, grandparents, etc, etc...I mean to me, its simple. Don't live beyond your needs. No one needs 14 cars....3 houses, a helicopter, and hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of jewelry...To me , us managing our average/above average salaries, is simply no different than if we were managing millions. Concept should be the same---Obtain what you need. As I said, who needs 14 sports cars?

How many do you need? Through my econ classes, I learned enough in regard to how to handle/manage my future earnings. PLus, I mean most of us learned through our parents, their advice, grandparents, etc, etc...I mean to me, its simple. Don't live beyond your needs. No one needs 14 cars....3 houses, a helicopter, and hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of jewelry...To me , us managing our average/above average salaries, is simply no different than if we were managing millions. Concept should be the same---Obtain what you need. As I said, who needs 14 sports cars?
Its easier for us because we have experience behind us. Bret Bearup (RIP), a former UK basketball player and he was a friend of mine, did financial management for NBA players. When you get into contracts, its much more than economics. There's a lot of pit falls these students can fall victim to.

"A company has several employees who, through their labor, create profits for the company. The company does not pay the employees directly, instead offering them free or reduced-price living arrangements in company-owned housing and food from cafeterias. The company shows off the glamorous and luxurious upgrades to its workplace, living space, and cafeteria in an effort to lure workers away from its rivals. While its normal workers go unpaid, the company pays exorbitant salaries to the managers and overseers of the workforce, who then, in some cases, abuse the laborers even beyond what onlookers deem necessary to extract the best possible product from them. The company protests that it cannot pay its laborers in the name of tradition, profit, and most shockingly, in order to protect the workers themselves from the harmful extravagance of a salary. The workers are also forbidden from making money from their own name or image. The whole arrangement is protected by an inter-state cartel of the company and its competitors."

That doesn't feel like Capitalism.

You forgot to say, "Workers continue to flock to said company on their own free will with great enthusiasm"

No, actually that's not.

"The ability to influence or have some control over the terms of trade in selling is referred to as ‘monopoly power’ and in buying it is referred to as ‘monopsony power’. The NCAA generates approximately $1 billion in revenue annually. Most of that revenue comes from their ‘monopoly’ power to sell broadcast rights to the NCAA post-season basketball tournament. Currently the NCAA is in the middle of a 15-yr (2010-2024) tv deal having sold those broadcast rights to CBS and Turner tv networks for $771 mil/yr. Interestingly, perhaps, these parties just extended that deal to 2025-2032 for $1.1 bil/yr. Most of the remaining small portion (10% or so) of NCAA’s revenue comes from ticket sales to championship events they sanction, which is basically all collegiate sports championships. So, the NCAA can be regarded as a monopolist in selling these items (i.e. broadcast rights to the NCAA basketball tournament and championship ticket sales). "

"The ability to influence or have some control over the terms of trade in selling is referred to as ‘monopoly power’ and in buying it is referred to as ‘monopsony power’. The NCAA generates approximately $1 billion in revenue annually. Most of that revenue comes from their ‘monopoly’ power to sell broadcast rights to the NCAA post-season basketball tournament. Currently the NCAA is in the middle of a 15-yr (2010-2024) tv deal having sold those broadcast rights to CBS and Turner tv networks for $771 mil/yr. Interestingly, perhaps, these parties just extended that deal to 2025-2032 for $1.1 bil/yr. Most of the remaining small portion (10% or so) of NCAA’s revenue comes from ticket sales to championship events they sanction, which is basically all collegiate sports championships. So, the NCAA can be regarded as a monopolist in selling these items (i.e. broadcast rights to the NCAA basketball tournament and championship ticket sales). "

So is the NFL, MLB, NASCAR a monopoly because They too get to choose who broadcasts their product. What about tv shows in general shopping their show to networks?

They prolly have great enthusiasm for the SCOTUS ruling.
I'm sure they do, but if they hadn't and I'm not sure how this will end but if they hadn't they'd still flock to the NCAA. The % of people we are talking this effects will be a small % of athletes. This is not as simple as a lot of you all are making it out to be. College basketball will become the NBA with larger markets separating themselves. I'm honestly torn because I'm a capitalist at heart but also believe these athletes are making their own choice to play in the NCAA because it's what's best for them. Even those who could make 6 figures in the G league are taking the nCAA route over the G league. There are millions of people in the world who's talents are greater than their salary/pay, but they've made the decision to take a mind stay in that position until they find a better option.

I'm sure they do, but if they hadn't and I'm not sure how this will end but if they hadn't they'd still flock to the NCAA. The % of people we are talking this effects will be a small % of athletes. This is not as simple as a lot of you all are making it out to be. College basketball will become the NBA with larger markets separating themselves. I'm honestly torn because I'm a capitalist at heart but also believe these athletes are making their own choice to play in the NCAA because it's what's best for them. Even those who could make 6 figures in the G league are taking the nCAA route over the G league. There are millions of people in the world who's talents are greater than their salary/pay, but they've made the decision to take a mind stay in that position until they find a better option.
I'm not sure who has claimed this is simple, there is no model previously to start from. But is it going to be impossible to set parameters? Is everybody in charge just stupid?

I've heard concerns about market sizes, but market sizes don't guarantee wins. 3 of the 4 still playing in the NBA are not top 10 markets right? Bucks near the bottom? Suns/Hawks in the middle?

Have the Knicks been dominating lately? I've seen the Jazz/Spurs/OKC make NBA finals and/or win titles. The separation theory feels overblown.

In college sports aren't there already haves, and have nots? I saw Blue Chips man!

I'm not sure who has claimed this is simple, there is no model previously to start from. But is it going to be impossible to set parameters? Is everybody in charge just stupid?

I've heard concerns about market sizes, but market sizes don't guarantee wins. 3 of the 4 still playing in the NBA are not top 10 markets right? Bucks near the bottom? Suns/Hawks in the middle?

Have the Knicks been dominating lately? I've seen the Jazz/Spurs/OKC make NBA finals and/or win titles. The separation theory feels overblown.

In college sports aren't there already haves, and have nots? I saw Blue Chips man!
You can play the in this instance game but by % large market teams can attract bigger players. You can't deny that. This even in a league with a salary cap. Isnt capping colleges on what their players can make on their likeness against capitalism?

You can play the in this instance game but by % large market teams can attract bigger players. You can't deny that. This even in a league with a salary cap. Isnt capping colleges on what their players can make on their likeness against capitalism?

Aren't there already haves and have nots in college athletics?

Wouldn't not allowing players to make ANYTHING be more against capitalism than capping an amount they can make?

I'm just not following your position. Are you for or against capitalism?

No one or no entity should own another person's name, image or likeness. Full stop. The kid on a music scholarship can and should be able to make extra money giving piano lessons just like a college basketball player should be able to make extra money teaching at a summer basketball camp. It was a losing argument from the jump for the NCAA as demonstrated by the pasting they took in court. By not proactively and intelligently addressing the NIL issue the NCAA opened themselves up to future lawsuits that could go well beyond NIL. When you lose 9-0 at SCOTUS you took the wrong tact. Nothing short of incompetence by the NCAA.

"In his opinion, Kavanaugh seemed to invite more legal challenges to the NCAA’s caps on all forms of compensation for athletes, not just those tethered to education, which was the narrower focus of this particular Supreme Court case. 'Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate,' Kavanaugh wrote. 'And under ordinary principles of antitrust law, it is not evident why college sports should be any different. The NCAA is not above the law.'

https://time.com/6074583/ncaa-supreme-court-ruling/

Aren't there already haves and have nots in college athletics?

Wouldn't not allowing players to make ANYTHING be more against capitalism than capping an amount they can make?

I'm just not following your position. Are you for or against capitalism?
I believe in capitalism but I also believe in ones free will to sign a binding contract. There are legal contracts in all kinds of businesses limiting one from making earnings. The NCAA can't deny players making money off their likeness, and they never have, but they can then deny their scholarship.

The NCAA can't deny players making money off their likeness, and they never have, but they can then deny their scholarship.
Getting complicated!

I will pray for the NCAA and the universities, and hope this all works out for them in the end and they aren't victimized by these SCOTUS rulings and future ones.

I sure hope college athletics doesn't become shady or corrupt, or a system of haves and have nots gets constructed.

ADVERTISEMENT