ADVERTISEMENT

Paying College Athletes? Where do you see this going?

Getting complicated!

I will pray for the NCAA and the universities, and hope this all works out for them in the end and they aren't victimized by these SCOTUS rulings and future ones.

I sure hope college athletics doesn't become shady or corrupt, or a system of haves and have nots gets constructed.
I actually don't care about the ncaa or colleges. I hope the players understand the possible consequences before they go making money, spend it, then be declared ineligible, and they can't pay the amount back. It's no different than players getting a bag of cash. It's not illegal but the colleges/ncaa can revoke their scholarships.

I actually don't care about the ncaa or colleges. I hope the players understand the possible consequences before they go making money, spend it, then be declared ineligible, and they can't pay the amount back. It's no different than players getting a bag of cash. It's not illegal but the colleges/ncaa can revoke their scholarships.
Lots of doom and gloom potential scenario here. I'm sure I'm not thinking this through all the way but...

First they got to spend all their $ and go broke, real fast. Like, within 6 months to a year fast. Ok, could happen.

Then they got to break eligibility rules in a very short period of time that seem unclear right now, while states are passing laws allowing them to make $.

Then the colleges/NCAA gotta decide to take their $ back from scholarship, and then sue them. That seems like a PR nightmare but who knows?

Then the players gotta lose in court.

So then they gotta figure out how to pay 20k back.

Since we think only the top players are going to be making $ and falling into this risk, they gotta project to a pro career unless they get injured, and probably have the means to pay this 20k back.

Eh, I dunno. I still say they are better off making $ and letting all these problems happen than to not making any $. Maybe I am wrong!

Mo $ mo problems!

Mo $ mo problems!
I read the rest, and you make some good points. With that said, there's nothing wrong with a person making money.

It's not exactly fair to assume they can't handle money and use money for investments, down payments, everything fiscal responsible.

I'd have to imagine they know their NIL will expire. However, why not capitalize it?

I read the rest, and you make some good points. With that said, there's nothing wrong with a person making money.

It's not exactly fair to assume they can't handle money and use money for investments, down payments, everything fiscal responsible.

I'd have to imagine they know their NIL will expire. However, why not capitalize it?
Yeah that is pretty much what I'm thinking.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Lots of doom and gloom potential scenario here. I'm sure I'm not thinking this through all the way but...

First they got to spend all their $ and go broke, real fast. Like, within 6 months to a year fast. Ok, could happen.

Then they got to break eligibility rules in a very short period of time that seem unclear right now, while states are passing laws allowing them to make $.

Then the colleges/NCAA gotta decide to take their $ back from scholarship, and then sue them. That seems like a PR nightmare but who knows?

Then the players gotta lose in court.

So then they gotta figure out how to pay 20k back.

Since we think only the top players are going to be making $ and falling into this risk, they gotta project to a pro career unless they get injured, and probably have the means to pay this 20k back.

Eh, I dunno. I still say they are better off making $ and letting all these problems happen than to not making any $. Maybe I am wrong!

Mo $ mo problems!
Sounds like a chicken or the egg problem.

Why should NIKE, or UNDER ARMOUR pay big bucks to a school that wears uniforms with their branding, when they can simply pay few stars money to wear their uniforms?

Their, "labor"? You mean traveling the country for free? That kind of "labor"? Or having to practice? That type of labor? Or, getting to showcase your abilities/talents on TV every fuking night?

JFC.....In no way, shape or form do I feel college athletes should be paid. These kids, especially at places like Kansas, UK, Indiana, Duke, etc, etc....are treated like royalty man. Free medical....free food, free clothing, free housing, free schooling, etc, etc....I get it. SOme kids come from poor families. Which at times is hard to realize. Especially when you see kids with hundreds of dollars of tattoo work, jewelry....$300 Bose headphones, etc, etc....But hey,. ok. Set up a program that allows kids from less fortunate families, to qualify for a stipend...Or allow the school to help...Or, allow them to work.

Folk need to quit acting as if these kids are been so mistreated....Going hungry. Getting the shaft. Its fuking ridiculous. As an official, I have seen the amenities these kids have access to----I assure you, they ain't hurting...going hungry, or without...And if they are? Well----sell a few of those $300 chains.

Insane.

Why do you say they get those things for free?

That’s like saying the salary you get from work is for free. Or when I take a work trip, that the lodging and travel is provided to me for free.

It’s not for free. I work for it.

I know this is the basketball board, but football players dont really have an option. The NCAA/Colleges very much has a monopoly on football for 18-21 year olds or whagever. Imo this is why the ncaa doesnt even try to clean that sport up. And football makes the big $$$ anyways, ive always read at least.

Football makes the big money for schools and conferences. But 90% of the NCAA’s annual revenue comes from the NCAA Tournament.

Reactions: Villian07
Y’all know who are some of the athletes who will make the most money from NIL?

Good looking women. Some of the track, soccer, and volleyball ladies have hundreds of thousands of followers on IG. Now they can monetize the accounts. Good for them.

Hmmmm. I guess you have never read the statistics that show the % of professional athletes that are bankrupt within 5 years of retirement. But I bet you think younger athletes will be responsible with their money huh?

Why do you say they get those things for free?

That’s like saying the salary you get from work is for free. Or when I take a work trip, that the lodging and travel is provided to me for free.

It’s not for free. I work for it.
And they are compensated. I say make em pay for the scholarships and travel and free clothes and food moving forward. If they are so hell bent of capitalizing on their images make them reimburse the school for expenses.

And they are compensated. I say make em pay for the scholarships and travel and free clothes and food moving forward. If they are so hell bent of capitalizing on their images make them reimburse the school for expenses.

Is be cool with that. As a former college athlete, I think it’s funny when people start throwing their arms up in the air about paying athletes because they have been getting paid—legally—for a long time.

But that wasn’t really my point. My point was, why was Borden saying they “get all that stuff for free”? It’s not free. It’s in exchange for hours of hard work. Just like any job.

Reactions: Villian07
Is be cool with that. As a former college athlete, I think it’s funny when people start throwing their arms up in the air about paying athletes because they have been getting paid—legally—for a long time.

But that wasn’t really my point. My point was, why was Borden saying they “get all that stuff for free”? It’s not free. It’s in exchange for hours of hard work. Just like any job.
I like logic. Thanks. But, how many would sign up for the getting paid if all the other stuff was taken away and they had to pay for it. Only a few kids on each team are going to make bank, so I see it causing more problems.

Anxious to see the results. I have been wrong plenty of times in my life, so we shall see.

Good looking women. Some of the track, soccer, and volleyball ladies have hundreds of thousands of followers on IG. Now they can monetize the accounts. Good for them.
We have a Womens basketball player, Hailey Van Lith, who is projected by some to make the most of all Louisville athletes.

Shes cute and had some connection to Kobe somehow, anyways she had alot of “followers” before she ever got to Louisville.

Article i read said she could net 6-7 figures

I like logic. Thanks. But, how many would sign up for the getting paid if all the other stuff was taken away and they had to pay for it. Only a few kids on each team are going to make bank, so I see it causing more problems.

Anxious to see the results. I have been wrong plenty of times in my life, so we shall see.

Who cares how many sign up? Let the market dictate.

The NIL just makes sense. We are talking about American citizens here. I don’t care if someone is an author, a painter, a model, a singer, or a basketball player. People should be compensated for the commercial use of their image or product.

The NIL just makes sense. We are talking about American citizens here. I don’t care if someone is an author, a painter, a model, a singer, or a basketball player. People should be compensated for the commercial use of their image or product.
Capitalism good for me but not for thee. Or sumthin like dat.

Reactions: RR30
And it's started, I'm seeing all over twitter of athletes starting signing exclusive merch deals, starting podcast and even endorsing local teas. It's everywhere.

So an out of State tuition to places like Clemson and South Carolina and UNC and Nc State is around 40k per year. Are you saying kids will still come if they are going to make 10k per year and then pay the rest of it out of their pockets. Then they have to get on a meal plan and pay for the clothes and medical care.

Do you realize how much free medical care they get and at all hours of the day and night.

Once again, a few have ruined it for the rest.

We have a Womens basketball player, Hailey Van Lith, who is projected by some to make the most of all Louisville athletes.

Shes cute and had some connection to Kobe somehow, anyways she had alot of “followers” before she ever got to Louisville.

Article i read said she could net 6-7 figures

Exactly. There was a women’s soccer player a few years back who was from overseas and very attractive and had like 500k IG followers. Maybe more. She would have straight raked cash.

So an out of State tuition to places like Clemson and South Carolina and UNC and Nc State is around 40k per year. Are you saying kids will still come if they are going to make 10k per year and then pay the rest of it out of their pockets. Then they have to get on a meal plan and pay for the clothes and medical care.

Do you realize how much free medical care they get and at all hours of the day and night.

Once again, a few have ruined it for the rest.

Yes, I realize how much the free medical care is. I benefitted from it as a college athlete who rehabbed an injury.

1) Schools want to win. So if market dictates that they need to provide the health care and the tuition on top of whatever athletes make from NIL, then that’s what the schools who want to win will do. No different than a company providing bonuses on top of salary, or stock options, or use of the corporate jet.

2) This isn’t gonna just benefit a couple of basketball or football players. Social media has massive monetization ability. Random people on IG or YouTube make tens of thousands a month or even week by posting stupid dances or playing video games while others watch. So there will be plenty of athletes of all sports, even ones who aren’t that good, making big time cash.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT