ADVERTISEMENT

Paying College Athletes? Where do you see this going?

It's the only way elite kids are going to come play college ball. Even then, the top of the top might still skip. But its been a long time coming, and I think most fans agree that players deserve to be paid.

Reactions: duckboy33
It's the only way elite kids are going to come play college ball. Even then, the top of the top might still skip. But its been a long time coming, and I think most fans agree that players deserve to be paid.
I don't think they deserve to be paid. I can see the argument over autographs and jerseys and such...but not paid. Im not fully on board with who is keeping the money generated and I think it should go back into the sports and academic programs at the schools. Also used to lower ticket prices so fans can attend games.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I don't think they deserve to be paid. I can see the argument over autographs and jerseys and such...but not paid. Im not fully on board with who is keeping the money generated and I think it should go back into the sports and academic programs at the schools. Also used to lower ticket prices so fans can attend games.
I have a really hard time looking at the figures that college basketball produces, and trying to convince myself the players don’t deserve some sort of cut for it.

I have a really hard time looking at the figures that college basketball produces, and trying to convince myself the players don’t deserve some sort of cut for it.
Allocate it to non rev sports imo. If guys wanna gamble and go g league---let them. All athletes should take take the same college classes as everyone else---I mean, its college. Its already a greased wheel to keep 90% of these guys eligible.

Allocate it to non rev sports imo. If guys wanna gamble and go g league---let them. All athletes should take take the same college classes as everyone else---I mean, its college. Its already a greased wheel to keep 90% of these guys eligible.
I understand what you're saying, but that really doesn't fix the problem of the NCAA benefiting off players, which is the issue at its core. The kids are the ones doing the work and they should be compensated, not the schools.

I understand what you're saying, but that really doesn't fix the problem of the NCAA benefiting off players, which is the issue at its core. The kids are the ones doing the work and they should be compensated, not the schools.
I get it---I just get stuck on they are all ready getting full scholarship---rm and board. I don't know

I know schools won't be paying them directly, but I wonder if we'll start seeing them wearing "muffler man down the road" headband during games, or mouthpieces from Iceberg Guards?

There's got to be some restrictions to this, right? I haven't read up on it too much. Just worrying how this might impact the recruiting scene. If boosters can offer a kid a huge sponsorship, contingent on them signing with the booster's school, the recruiting is going to be wild.

There's got to be some restrictions to this, right? I haven't read up on it too much. Just worrying how this might impact the recruiting scene. If boosters can offer a kid a huge sponsorship, contingent on them signing with the booster's school, the recruiting is going to be wild.
Listening to UK coaches, I don't think anyone, including coaches, know at this point.

Reactions: dukedevilz
One loophole UK has been using for a while is autograph tours after players announce they're leaving. That is some serious money straight from the working Joes in a fanbase.

17 of the top 20 players still still chose NCAA basketball over the G League knowing they could’ve made $250,00 - $500,000 in the G League. They benefit a lot more than people think playing in college otherwise that number wouldn’t be so high.

I get it---I just get stuck on they are all ready getting full scholarship---rm and board. I don't know

It goes far beyond that. Jalen Green made $500,000 on his G League contract last year. Isaiah Todd something like $300,000.

And yet 17 of the top 20 HS players pass the up for college. The proof is in the pudding on this.

17 of the top 20 players still still chose NCAA basketball over the G League knowing they could’ve made $250,00 - $500,000 in the G League. They benefit a lot more than people think playing in college otherwise that number wouldn’t be so high.
I mean, I don’t feel that strongly about it, but I still think they deserve to be paid. And the G League is a relatively new option, so I would be interested to see that number in 5 years or so.

I mean, I don’t feel that strongly about it, but I still think they deserve to be paid. And the G League is a relatively new option, so I would be interested to see that number in 5 years or so.

New or not those camps know what’s at stake.

$40,000 tuition
Probably $5,000 in clothes / equipment
Free housing
Free food
Etc. etc.

these kids live like kings on campus.

Reactions: HawksJ and IUBtown
Again, Chet Holmgren isn’t passing up $500,000 from the G League to play at Gonzaga if there weren’t also financial incentives to playing college basketball.

A think a lot of people think the NIL is a game-changer in terms of keeping elite talent in college. It's not like these kids will be making millions from it. It won't make much of a difference when it comes to kids deciding between the G-League, going pro overseas, or going to college.

What platform are players using to build their brand and make a profit off their likeness? Players do have a choice. You don't like the rules? Go play somewhere else. Simple as that.

Apartment
Tuition
Per diem
Insurance
Health care
Training
Travel
Nutritionist
Tutors

more I'm sure I'm missing

Last edited:
"Haha, you don't have a pro sports team in Kentucky".

tenor.gif

The NCAA makes over 1 billion dollars just off the of the tournament alone. Billion with a B. You guys are crazy to think the players, the only reason people tune in, pay money to go, or follow along in the first place, shouldn't get a small cut.

It goes far beyond that. Jalen Green made $500,000 on his G League contract last year. Isaiah Todd something like $300,000.

And yet 17 of the top 20 HS players pass the up for college. The proof is in the pudding on this.
Yea but its still too much in its infancy to tell. If the guys going g league start getting consistently drafted higher than the ones going to college, i think the numbers will swing.

Also wouldnt suprise me if some players got more from the college. I mean we/adidas got caught paying a fringe 5 star guy 200k.

Im sure the fbi stuff slowed the pay for play down, but im also sure theres still plenty of ppl put their with their hands out.

The NCAA makes over 1 billion dollars just off the of the tournament alone. Billion with a B. You guys are crazy to think the players, the only reason people tune in, pay money to go, or follow along in the first place, shouldn't get a small cut.
It is not that simple Jimbo. Colleges and Universities are institutions of higher learning. Thus, someone that enrolls in one should be qualified and have the intention of completing a degree in said discipline of study. Paying students and the one and done system makes a mockery of the true mission of such institutions. Additionally, it is unfair to all the students to go for the purpose of education.

Elite athletes whos only desire to play ball for a living should go straight to the Pros or G league.

It is not that simple Jimbo. Colleges and Universities are institutions of higher learning. Thus, someone that enrolls in one should be qualified and have the intention of completing a degree in said discipline of study. Paying students and the one and done system makes a mockery of the true mission of such institutions. Additionally, it is unfair to all the students to go for the purpose of education.

Elite athletes whos only desire to play ball for a living should go straight to the Pros or G league.
It is absolutely not unfair considering the money generated by student athletes compared to normal students. Not even in the same ballpark.

It is absolutely not unfair considering the money generated by student athletes compared to normal students. Not even in the same ballpark.
Universities were designed to educate students. They were not designed as private sector for profit businesses. Thus lies the hypocrisy.

Yea honestly Universities, based on their basic purpose really shouldnt be in the billion dollar sports industry, but yet here we are.

Id be fine watching college basketball without the OaD superstars. The game was fine without kobe or garnett or lebron, i think it will be fine either way.

Then they shouldn't take in any money generated by student athletes going forward. Sounds like problem solved.
Any money, no. Four year scholarships aren't free, but I agree.

Revenue or profit?

Then they shouldn't take in any money generated by student athletes going forward. Sounds like problem solved.
It goes back to the school and helps pay for their travel, I'd imagine the cost of one basketball player for everything involved exceeds 250k/year. It approaches 500k.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT