ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G In-Season Thread***

a um fan did some digging on Izzo

2012: https://www.mlive.com/spartans/2012/05/michigan_state_coach_tom_izzo_22.html 2

2013: Including this gem - "If your dead brother’s uncle’s sister’s cousin is sick, you get a waiver”

al – 17 Sep 13
tom-izzojpg-b61c47bd75e4ca8f.jpg

Michigan State coach Tom Izzo on college sports: "It scares me the direction...
Izzo discusses paying players and transfer rules during visit to Birmingham

2014: https://www.google.com/amp/s/colleg...-is-not-a-fan-of-how-often-kids-transfer/amp/

2015: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/college/2015/06/02/michigan-state-tom-izzo-ncaa-stupid-transfer 1

2016: “if it (transfers not having to sit) happens, Izzo has said, he won’t stick around to see it”

Lansing State Journal
635991052880527621-Marvin-Clark-and-Bryn-Forbes.jpg

Couch: In Big Ten, college hoops transfer talk, concerns heating up
Tom Izzo, Tom Crean among coaches who fear deterrent to transfers disappearing

2017: “Michigan has a good team but they lack a big man, and we have a bad team,” Izzo said, speaking hypothetically. "So what are they going to do, at semester come over and get Jaren Jackson and bring him over to there?”

mlive – 13 Sep 17
college-basketball-michigan-state-vs-nebraska---february-23-2017-470198f684bc2cc3.jpg

Tom Izzo against immediate eligibility for transfers, but thinks it will happen
The NCAA revealed last week that it is seeking feedback from schools on a host of potential transfer changes, including eliminating the year of ineligibility following an undergraduate transfer.

2019:

fieldlevelmedia.com – 5 Apr 19
USATSI_12410587-300x150.jpg

Spartans' Tom Izzo 'scared' about transfer climate -- like at Texas Tech
MINNEAPOLIS -- Michigan State coach Tom Izzo understands no coach would turn down one year with Zion Williamson on his roster. But the state of NCAA transfer rules is another story.

@RipThru

He said early returns. He didn’t say Howard is a lock to succeed this year or long term. Early returns for Howard have been good, though. He doesn’t look lost which was probably his floor given no one knew what to exact.
Fair enough- early returns on a soft as Charmin schedule indicates he is not lost. Looking forward to a game against a team with a pulse.

Reactions: SpartanRock
UM has not played a single game on the road and has a 10 pt win at home against Creighton. As I said it is fair enough to say early returns are favorable for Howard but he hasn’t remotely been tested. FTR UM sos is around 300.

Michigan beat a possible tourney team by double digits while missing a starter. It’s not a huge win but it’s nice to see. I don’t get the criticism for something I think is a fair take.

Fair enough- early returns on a soft as Charmin schedule indicates he is not lost. Looking forward to a game against a team with a pulse.

Offense has been way further along than expected and a lot of player development has been shown thus far. His defensive strategy(drop coverage) has also been basically ideal for allowing the exact type of shot you want to allow in todays college basketball (long twos). We are elite at limiting 3pt attempts and at defending the rim. UM has also played high tempo games and looked good and played slower games and still looked good.

Michigan beat a possible tourney team by double digits while missing a starter. It’s not a huge win but it’s nice to see. I don’t get the criticism for something I think is a fair take.
You keep bringing up the missing a starter issue. The starter you are missing hasn’t played a single game in college. Not feeling especially compassionate on this point. Check back in after the next 4 games where the comp gets stiffer and 3 of 4 are away from home. That will provide a much better barometer.

Offense has been way further along than expected and a lot of player development has been shown thus far. His defensive strategy(drop coverage) has also been basically ideal for allowing the exact type of shot you want to allow in todays college basketball (long twos). We are elite at limiting 3pt attempts and at defending the rim. UM has also played high tempo games and looked good and played slower games and still looked good.
The next 4 games should provide a more realistic view on your points.

Reactions: MGC_07
You keep bringing up the missing a starter issue. The starter you are missing hasn’t played a single game in college. Not feeling especially compassionate on this point. Check back in after the next 4 games where the comp gets stiffer and 3 of 4 are away from home. That will provide a much better barometer.

I don’t care if he’s never touched a basketball in his life, he will provide our lineup with more tools that Adrian Nunez.

We will probably lose a couple games in this stretch but that doesn’t change the fact that so far Howard looks competent.

Reactions: SNU0821
He’s against the concept but he finds it unfair if other people are granted immediate eligibility randomly for no reason and his player isn’t.

I don’t know how many times I’m going to have to say that.

And I don’t know how many times I have to say it’s self serving. He had repeatedly said EVERYBODY should have to sit a year. Except Hauser

Reactions: KisteK and Da_Bull
And I don’t know how many times I have to say it’s self serving. He had repeatedly said EVERYBODY should have to sit a year. Except Hauser
Sure it comes off a bit whiney, but he’s not saying that no one should get on except Hauser. He’s saying if you’re it’s a bit silly to randomly grant people eligibility with no real case and not grant his guy eligibility. The NCAA is random and stupid, and we can all agree on that.

the Murray Twins did this vs a CC
Keegan 31 points, 12 rebounds and 5 blks.
Kris 17 points, 13 rebounds and 5 assists
in a 97-92 loss,
Keegan also set a personal best of 11'5" in the vertical jump. these are coming up on the schedule IMG Academy which has 3 top 100 players on it, and Oak Hill Academy who has Sibley on it that I know of. so they will get plenty of exposure to top talent,

Keegan is more of a 2/3 while Kris is more of the 3/4 player. right now Keegan is the teams leading scorer @ over 26 ppg and leading rebounder at over 16 rpg.

Sure it comes off a bit whiney, but he’s not saying that no one should get on except Hauser. He’s saying if you’re it’s a bit silly to randomly grant people eligibility with no real case and not grant his guy eligibility. The NCAA is random and stupid, and we can all agree on that.

He also says allowing it teaches the player a bad life lesson, while wanting it for his player.

Reactions: KisteK and RipThru
He also says allowing it teaches the player a bad life lesson, while wanting it for his player.
Ok. My point still stands. I feel like it has been a lot of back and forth of just saying the exact same thing. I understand your point, but he thinks it’s stupid if his guy doesn’t get it while other people do with seemingly the same if not worse of a case.

Based on the rules, Hauser doesn’t deserve a waiver. But neither did a ton of other people who got them. That’s why he thinks and MSU fans think it’s dumb.

Reactions: Sparty_0n
ADVERTISEMENT