ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G In-Season Thread****

Yeah, that's usually the cop out play.

In a rivalry game where it gets a little chippy, it's probably in the officials' best interest to T someone up there to try to get control. That's why I thought they might T him up. If it was in Mackey, I think he definitely gets T'd up but the refs might have hesitated because they knew what the crowd reaction would have been.

Gillis was physical on the foul but that's what we are taught to do at a young age. Can't let the offensive player get a 3 point play there.
Couple of things...

1---Officials care more about controlling the game, keeping it there, than they do about where the game is, etc....THis play doesn't get a tech at Mackey. I say that b/c the play didn't get an F1 in Assembly Hall... So Here is my guess as to why no technical was called..

--HUGE rivalry. Emotions are expected. There was no push, just a chesty. NO retallation by Gillis----And nothing more than the chest bump came from the "exchange". Really not a taunting moment here---But certainly could have been viewed as unsporting..

---Speaking of taunting...Really wasn't that, TBH. Its not like TJD dunked on him, then got up in his face. His reaction was due to a hard foul. There is a different approach in this scenario.

--Gillis foul looked 100 times worse,than it really was. Yeah the contact was hard.....Yeah it was physical---But he played the ball, and everything he did was within the rules: Played the ball...made a basketball play. He didn't just swing wild, out of control, with no attempt to "make a play". Plus as an official you have to take into account of this thing called MOMEnTUM. As in TJD going at full speed, gets airborne, and suddenly is hit by a dude who is, well---strong as ****. TJD momentum made that foul look much.much worse than it really was..

IMO, very good officiating right there. They(Officials) didn't get caught up in the moment, and unleash 10 technical fouls. Got immediate control, kept control, and handled it very well.

JMO. I've been involved in some pretty high intense games. We pregame it. We know what we are up for. SO we talk about, "not getting caught up...."---Get control FIRST. THEN discuss it...Get ALL the information, and discuss the play. Then of course the monitor.

Thought the crew did an excellent job...IMO, a well officiated game. Sure bad calls, or no calls. But felt they let the kids play....

Reactions: mathboy
What’s the biggest issue re attendance?
Basketball always has been the third most popular sport in Ann Arbor after football and hockey. They literally gave away basketball tickets for years at Kroger if you spent $50 or more.
One would think we could at least show up when the Buckeyes come to town, but then again it’s two trash teams playing each other on a Sunday early game

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
I loathe Purdue man---But Matt Painter is a class fukin act....Funny, direct, tells it like it is. ALways complimentary of the opposition----rathers its Texas State, or Indiana....

Couple of notes here...

1. Talking about Braden SMith. Looks at his stats, 6 points, 6 asists, 3 steals and only 1 turnover...Painter responds---"Just never got his shot going. But he'sd a good player. I think we'll heep him.... 🤣

2. Highly complimentary of TJD----but really talked about how good of a person he was, saying..."When Sannigan passed, TJD texted me, reached out.....Just shows what type of kid he is."

Great interview here...

Reactions: boilerzz
Basketball always has been the third most popular sport in Ann Arbor after football and hockey. They literally gave away basketball tickets for years at Kroger if you spent $50 or more.
One would think we could at least show up when the Buckeyes come to town, but then again it’s two trash teams playing each other on a Sunday early game
Seems it would have been cheaper to just buy them...🤣

Huge games today for Michigan, OSU, Northwestern, Wisconsin and Penn State.

FoNR88mWIAAaxfb

Gotta love when a last second putback by the losing team secures my over bet.

Unfortunately we don’t have non-con wins over SDSU/UNLV this year… and instead have a shitty MAC loss. Pitt win is aging better than anyone ever could have hoped for but we set our selves up for failure in the non-con. Then add in that the B1G is way worse and there are way less quality wins to be had.

Last year was more a product of a tough schedule. UM was top 30 in Kenpom/Torvik for much of the year…. This year we pretty much suck. Saving grace is that a lot of teams suck so I guess there is a sliver of hope still.

Surprised a little bit to see MD ranked Big Ten ‘s fourth highest team in Kenpom so far…

They are now. It's crazy because there is talent there.
I don’t understand what happened to Ice Likekele. He was pretty decent at Okla St. Definitely was at his best when Cade was there, but I thought he would still be a capable scorer for them

I don’t understand what happened to Ice Likekele. He was pretty decent at Okla St. Definitely was at his best when Cade was there, but I thought he would still be a capable scorer for them
Yeah, he’s solid defensively but gives them nothing on offense.

I’d ask Buckeye fans how our nuts taste, but they already know since they’ve tasted them two years in a row now in football

ADVERTISEMENT