ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G In-Season Thread****

Lol, has to bring up football again. That’s so Michigan.

Just another non alum sports fan with 0 connection to the school. Hail!
Woah, woah, woah. Many of us are not alums of our schools and cheer for them because we were born in the state … for a similar reason that you might (presumably) be a Tigers or Lions fan if you are from Michigan. I mean, is someone who goes to a liberal arts college or private school without football/big time sports supposed to not be a college football fan?? 😂👎🏻

Now I WILL agree that adopting a random good team that’s out of state truly counts as “not having any connection.” Random Michigan fans from New Jersey or California who didn’t go there are trash fans. THAT is who “Wal-Mart Wolverine” should be reserved for, not a WMU grad who cheers for Michigan.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
Woah, woah, woah. Many of us are not alums of our schools and cheer for them because we were born in the state … for a similar reason that you might (presumably) be a Tigers or Lions fan if you are from Michigan. I mean, is someone who goes to a liberal arts college or private school without football/big time sports supposed to not be a college football fan?? 😂👎🏻

Now I WILL agree that adopting a random good team that’s out of state truly counts as “not having any connection.” Random Michigan fans from New Jersey or California who didn’t go there are trash fans. THAT is who “Wal-Mart Wolverine” should be reserved for, not a WMU grad who cheers for Michigan.
Why don't we just go ahead and say where we went to college. Then we can laugh at all the Walmart Wolverines (this is like a xerox, applies not only to UM fans).

UW here so no WW status for me.

Last edited:
Why don't we just go ahead and say where we went to college. Then we can laugh at all the Walmart Wolverines (this is like a zerox, applies not only to UM fans).

UW here so no WW status for me.
Would’ve figured you’d be a Wisconsin-Whitewater guy

Playing chess bitches.

Painter told the crew to not beat Michigan by much last night. Why you ask? Because doing so allowed Michigan to jump from76 to 74 in the NET and become our nationl leading 8th Q1 win. Fvcking genius I tell you.

TIC

There should really be no issue with being a random fan. Obviously if you have zero connection from a geographic/family/friend perspective and cheer for a front-running team it’s kinda lame tho.

Walmart wolverines deservedly get more hate because they champion UM’s academics superiority when it has next to nothing to do with athletics and they couldn’t get into UM or some of the schools they make fun of (like OSU/MSU).

I’ve mentioned this a million times on here before… but I say this as someone that grew up in Ann Arbor with season tix to UM (and this rivals account lol), then graduated from MSU and moved back to Ann Arbor where I still live now. My HS best friend and college roommate walked-on to Izzo’s 2011 team while we lived together.

So I have a bit of a unique perspective on this (even tho I will always be a UM sports diehard) 😂

Basically every post that guy makes is “you didn’t really go there walvie” screams massive insecurity.

There should really be no issue with being a random fan. Obviously if you have zero connection from a geographic/family/friend perspective and cheer for a front-running team it’s kinda lame tho.

Walmart wolverines deservedly get more hate because they champion UM’s academics superiority when it has next to nothing to do with athletics and they couldn’t get into UM or some of the schools they make fun of (like OSU/MSU).

I’ve mentioned this a million times on here before… but I say this as someone that grew up in Ann Arbor with season tix to UM (and this rivals account lol), then graduated from MSU and moved back to Ann Arbor where I still live now. My HS best friend and college roommate walked-on to Izzo’s 2011 team while we lived together.

So I have a bit of a unique perspective on this (even tho I will always be a UM sports diehard) 😂
So do you root for MSU at all or no?

So do you root for MSU at all or no?
I almost always root for MSU when it doesn’t impact UM. Some of their fans and the toxicity lately has tested that tho. I certainly didn’t root for their football team this year and MSU losses don’t piss me off or anything.

Since I’ve spent some time around Izzo with my buddy on the team I like MSU hoops way more than football in general. Also my wife is a die hard MSU fan so it’s much better for me when they win 😅. I have much more of an affinity for the school than the sports tho.

When I started at MSU in 09 the rivalry toxicity was also not like it is now since UM resurged in hoops and MSU resurged in football. I was also shocked when I went to MSU at how much they hated UM. I had no clue. I was like… but we all hate OSU the most, right guys? They looked at me crazy. 😂😭

Reactions: Sparty_57
There should really be no issue with being a random fan. Obviously if you have zero connection from a geographic/family/friend perspective and cheer for a front-running team it’s kinda lame tho...
I guess what really bothers me is someone like the following:

Hometown: Random suburb of NYC in New Jersey
College Football Team: Alabama
College Basketball Team: Duke

So this jabroni picks two of the most storied programs of all-time - one in Alabama and one in North Carolina - for no reason other than they're good and can't even stick with this chosen program in both sports?? It'd be one thing if you just randomly picked Duke when you were a kid and signed on to suffer through their perennially shitty football seasons but then to just pivot to another team when it's time for football because you don't want to deal with the losses is SO lame. The rest of us true fans are dealing with all the shit that comes with the territory! It's why I have immense respect for folks who, say, are simply NC State fans because they grew up in Raleigh ... that shit is character building!

Reactions: ConqueringHero
I posted this in another thread about Bracketology, but it really kind of surprised me. Say what you want about the Big Ten and how good/bad it is, but Illinois is SEVEN remaining opportunities at a Quad 1 win ... and I am guessing it is a similar situation for the rest of you. With what a mess the standings are right now, it's astonishing what a huge opportunity there is for everyone not named Purdue, Nebraska or Minnesota to get hot and play themselves into a cushy NCAA Tournament seed, even if they currently feel like they're on the Bubble.

Crazy year.

I almost always root for MSU when it doesn’t impact UM. Some of their fans and the toxicity lately has tested that tho. I certainly didn’t root for their football team this year and MSU losses don’t piss me off or anything.

Since I’ve spent some time around Izzo with my buddy on the team I like MSU hoops way more than football in general. Also my wife is a die hard MSU fan so it’s much better for me when they win 😅. I have much more of an affinity for the school than the sports tho.

When I started at MSU in 09 the rivalry toxicity was also not like it is now since UM resurged in hoops and MSU resurged in football. I was also shocked when I went to MSU at how much they hated UM. I had no clue. I was like… but we all hate OSU the most, right guys? They looked at me crazy. 😂😭
Hilarious and so fvcking true.

• Haha
Reactions: ConqueringHero
I’d take more offense to being told I sound like a Michigan alum than a Walmart Wolverine. The fanbase is full of so many pompous “Fire Beilein!” “Fire Harbaugh!” pricks.

Let me enjoy my sports and you guys can circle jerk about your college rankings. My lowly Ferris State degree is serving me just fine. Well above the median income for both Michigan and MSU grads.

Reactions: MGO2022
Ok. He’s visiting tomorrow. Never heard of him.
I’d imagine he’s a versatile defender if he’s playing for Community.

But I’d bet he’s a project on offense as they have a lethargic offensive system and always bog down the pace.

Reactions: jwardelt
I’d imagine he’s a versatile defender if he’s playing for Community.

But I’d bet he’s a project on offense as they have a lethargic offensive system and always bog down the pace.
So he’d fit right in then. I guess our coaches look at our offense and think, yea, I’d like more of that. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1016CC0503
ADVERTISEMENT